Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-05-17, 02:48 PM   #10801
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 891
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 21

That's a shame. Note 7 would still be a top dog compared to other current devices.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-17, 03:48 PM   #10802
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Blobs be gone: With Android O, Google completely redesigns its emoji again

Android O is going to bring a lot of changes to our favorite mobile platform, and one of the most visible for those of us using Nexus and Pixel products will be the emoji: Google is completely redesigning them. Again.
The new emoji are teased over at Emojipedia, who got an exclusive look at the redesigned characters. If you want the tl;dr - they're more circular now.

Emojipedia says every single emoji has been touched in this revamp, so they should all feel like they're part of the same design family. Android O will support the entire Emoji 5.0 character catalog, as well, which means something I think we all get behind: more emoji.
Express your feelings on the death of the blobs in the comments. Preferably using emoji.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-18, 10:56 AM   #10803
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android O is shaping up to be exactly what Android needs

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-dOODlQgg

Today’s Google I/O presentation was as wide-ranging as the company’s various ventures into future technology, though the biggest cheers of excitement were inevitably reserved for Android. I just got my first taste of Google’s next iteration, codenamed Android O, and it looks like it’s targeting exactly the areas where Google’s mobile OS needed improvement.

An O-verwhelmingly positive first impression

Battery life, a thing that matters to all users at all times, is getting a nice helping hand from a couple of changes that limit resource consumption by apps running in the background. When a background app wants a location update, for instance, Android O will feed it the user’s last known location instead of activating the GPS or other hardware to collect a fresh location. Then, when the app is in the foreground, it regains its privilege of being able to poll for current location info. If you’re thinking that’s how it always should have been, I totally agree.
Google’s umbrella term for the unsexy but essential under-the-hood improvements in Android O is "vitals." My other highlight from among them is the massively improved bootup time: my personal Google Pixel took more than twice as long to start up than Google’s demo Pixel running O. I also find Android O runs very fast and smooth already, despite being only beta software. Naturally, not everything works flawlessly in the new OS yet, so I can’t judge how well Google is doing with its other vital bulletpoint, stability, but the first impression I’ve obtained is a positive one.

Notifications are getting another dose of refinement

The more visible changes include a streamlined Settings menu (when has a Settings menu not looked in need of streamlining?), another gradual update to how notifications work, and new app badging à la the iPhone. Google calls these notification dots, and it adds a nice twist to the idea by automatically color-matching the dots to the app icon. A long press on an app with a notification dot on it lets you access a secondary menu where you can swipe that alert away without having to hunt it down in among your agglomeration of notifications in the tray.
Perhaps the biggest small change in Android O is the addition of picture-in-picture functionality. It allows YouTube Red subscribers to punt a video they’re watching to a small window — positionable anywhere on the screen — and carry on using their phone as usual. The Google Duo video-chatting app also supports this behaviour, but those two apps are the full extent of this functionality for now. I’d really love to see this made available to all YouTube users, and once third-party app makers like Netflix jump on board, it’s likely to grow into a popular feature.
Android O is littered with little nips and tucks that just enhance the user experience without necessarily being visible or apparent. At this stage in Android’s evolution, this approach feels like the best one to take, and I suspect we’ll all be just as aggrieved about not having the Android O update on our non-Google phones as we have in previous years of slow Android upgrades.*
*Google claims it’s made some other changes in the OS that will make Android more modular and thus expedite Android updates, but I’ll believe that when I see it, not before.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KUweatherman liked this post
Unread 2017-05-18, 09:11 PM   #10804
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android O Dev Preview 2 swaps around WiFi and cellular status icons for some reason

Google is always making little tweaks to the UI during the developer previews, but there's usually a reason. The new Android O preview inexplicably swaps the cellular and WiFi indicators around in the status bar. It's very weird to see.

In Nougat, DP1, and earlier, the WiFi icon is to the left of the cell icon. That's nice because the angle of the WiFi icon and the slope of the signal line up closely—they nest together. With the WiFi icon to the right, it just looks awkward. I mean, just look at it above.

There's one other quirk that (I hope) is simply a bug. If you disable WiFi, the grayed out icon stays in the status bar, just taking up space. Gross.

Unread 2017-05-21, 09:38 PM   #10805
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

3D-Printed Galaxy Note 8 With Dual Camera Setup Leaks Online

A 3D-printed model of what’s said to be the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 appeared on Chinese social media website Weibo earlier today. The source leaked three real-life images of the model and also shared an alleged press render of the device in what looks like Coral Blue. One of the images depicting the black 3D-printed model of the Galaxy Note 8 shows the handset next to the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, suggesting that Samsung’s upcoming Android phablet will be noticeably larger than its 2015 smartphone. While the reference device obviously resembles both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7 Edge, the thicker shape of its physical Home button excludes the latter while its screen size indicates it also isn’t the former. According to previous industry rumors, the Galaxy Note 8 will boast a 6.3-inch display panel, meaning that the Galaxy S6 would look much smaller next to it than the phone featured in the image below does.
The prototype itself sports a vertical dual camera setup on its rear panel, as well as a combination of a standard LED flash and a heart rate monitor located immediately below its two main lenses. The top bezel of the phone shows several slots for a selfie camera and an iris scanner, while its overall design indicates that Samsung is sticking with the 18.5:9 aspect ratio, curved screen, and a nearly bezel-less design. The render of the device that presents it from both the front and back confirms as much, in addition to revealing two separate volume buttons on the left side of the smartphone instead of a volume rocker that was featured on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus. The handset depicted in the render also boasts a dedicated Bixby button located below its volume controls, as well as a Power button on the opposite side of the phone. Finally, a (Coral) blue S Pen is also present in the render, though it doesn’t seem significantly different to that of the Galaxy Note 7 with the exception of featuring a small constriction near its tip.

The South Korean consumer electronics manufacturer already confirmed that the Galaxy Note 8 will launch in the second half of 2017, so more details on the upcoming Android flagship should be available shortly. Refer to the gallery below to see the newly leaked 3D-printed model and render of the device.

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-05-21 at 09:40 PM..
Unread 2017-05-22, 12:06 PM   #10806
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Leak Details Massive Pixel 2 Smartphone

The Pixel 2 is going to be big. Literally very, very big...
The ‘Taimen’ has surfaced. The third of three codenamed Pixel handsets - Muskie, Walleye and Taimen - until now it was only rumoured through anecdotal code fragments, but now the device itself has appeared and revealed its core specifications.
The handset was picked up having been tested on ubiquitous benchmarking software Geekbench - a famous honeytrap for upcoming devices. It recorded the handset’s CPU as a “Qualcomm @ 1.90 GHz, 1 processor 8 cores”, aka the Snapdragon 835 used in the US edition of the Galaxy S8. There was also 4GB of RAM and it was running Android O, the next generation of Android due for release later this year.
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept by Concept Creator

So how did the Google GOOGL +0.91% Taimen perform? In line with other Snapdragon 835 models:
  • Google Taimen: Single Core: 1804 | Multi Core: 6284
  • Galaxy S8: Single Core: 1929 | Multi Core: 6084
  • Xperia XZ Premium: Single Core: 1943 | Multi Core: 5824
This is impressive given the Taimen is still a pre-production device. Then again the first generation Pixel and Pixel XL actually used a Snapdragon 821 chip, which was an incremental advancement over the Snapdragon 820 in the Galaxy S7. Whether the 821 only existed due to issues with the 820, however, is a matter for debate and there are no signs a Snapdragon 836 is planned at this stage.
So why is the Taimen massive? Because of Google’s smartphone codename history:
  • 2012 - 4.7-inch Nexus 4 (Mako)
  • 2013 - 5-inch Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
  • 2014 - 6-inch Nexus 6 (Shamu)
  • 2015 - 5.2-inch Nexus 5X (Bullhead), 5.7-inch Nexus 6P (Anger)
  • 2016 - 5.1-inch Pixel (Sailfish), 5.5-inch Pixel XL (Marlin)
Google has always used fish (or whales in the case of the Nexus 6) and they always correspond to size with the larger phone getting the larger species. Muskies (up to 17kg / 38lbs) are larger than walleyes (up to 11kg / 24lbs), but Taimen are in another league altogether with specimens caught over 100kg (220 lbs).
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept

Of course there is a chance such a size difference means the Taimen will be a tablet like the Nexus 9 or hybrid like the Pixel C, though Google has historically differentiated these lines with Nvidia Tegra chipsets and 4GB of RAM in a hybrid would seem low for a late 2017 device.
Furthermore Apple will launch three new iPhones this year (maybe four) with a standout premium 10th anniversary edition among them. Could Taimen be Google’s equivalent standout Pixel? The optimist in me certainly hopes so...

Unread 2017-05-22, 08:10 PM   #10807
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4958
Likes (Received): 2123
Dislikes (Given): 120
Dislikes (Received): 174

Might just be me, but that is a hideous looking phone.
Unread 2017-05-22, 08:19 PM   #10808
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Good thing it's not hard to beat the first Pixel
Unread 2017-05-22, 08:34 PM   #10809
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept

Unread 2017-05-23, 08:05 AM   #10810
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3396
Likes (Received): 1005
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
I love the way my pixel xl looks. blue AF
Unread 2017-05-23, 09:30 AM   #10811
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 257
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 2759
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Given): 140
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
Seems pretty upset Sprint didn't offer the Pixel XL so he had to get some LG turd to replace his Samsung Fire Phone.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-23, 10:44 AM   #10812
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

My piece of shit LG phone still looks better than the Pixel.
Unread 2017-05-23, 11:03 AM   #10813
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
My piece of shit LG phone still looks better than the Pixel.
Glad you need your phone to be a fashion accessory.

I honestly think the Pixel looks good, I had mine out of the case to clean and forgot how sleek it was. The bezels don't bother me at all, I just wish they would have utilized stereo front speakers with them. I also have not experienced any freezing or hiccups at all, and it's easily the best phone I've had.

Unread 2017-05-23, 11:41 AM   #10814
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 198
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 2379
Likes (Received): 1557
Dislikes (Given): 23
Dislikes (Received): 45

Ya, I put my phone in a case, so I don't really care what it looks like... as long as the screen is maximized and the overall shape and button layout are ergonomic. That's all I really care about.

That said, I think that the pixel is a good looking device.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-23, 11:48 AM   #10815
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

I dont care about looks, but those bezels are bullshit.

A. they make an already phone unnecessarily larger.
B. They are there because Google cant pull its head out of its ass long enough to make a cohesive decision on anything so its an HTC with the button removed.
B. its evidence youre paying iPhone money for a "warmed in the microwave" HTC, AKA a Nexus with a new name and new price.

I just want a compact phone with up to date specs and a real battery, I dont give a shit if its 3.4mm thick or 9mm thick.
Unread 2017-05-23, 11:49 AM   #10816
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were talking about looks here? If I'm gonna spend $700+ on a phone, it should probably look good. Might just be me though.
Unread 2017-05-23, 11:55 AM   #10817
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is a common among people who see these things as luxuries, its why the iphone is popular. Ive had hourly servers make comments about android being for the poors and what not and that android phones are cheap and ugly. Were talking, realistically, a couple of hundred dollars between them. Thats a few hours at work.

I dont tie any of my self-worth to the device. Its a tool, Id trade the flash and big screens for functionality. Hell, give me a 4.5" screen. I have a tablet and a laptop, I dont need a big ass phone. My 5X shit the bed Sunday and I had to drop back to the Nexus 4 for a couple of days. I love this thing. I wish I could just have the guts swapped from the new phones into it and a fingerprint sensor added on the back.
Unread 2017-05-23, 01:46 PM   #10818
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

I went from the overly large Moto X Pure to the regular Pixel, so the bezel size doesn't bother me as the phone is overall a ton smaller in the hand.

However, the only thing I miss about the MXPE was the dual front facing speakers, which I wish Google would have utilized the bezels and provided.

Unread 2017-05-23, 03:02 PM   #10819
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 691
Likes (Received): 448
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

CCC broke the Iris scanning on the s8 already

http://www.ccc.de/en/updates/2017/iriden

Iris recognition may be barely sufficient to protect a phone against complete strangers unlocking it. But whoever has a photo of the legitimate owner can trivially unlock the phone. „If you value the data on your phone – and possibly want to even use it for payment – using the traditional PIN-protection is a safer approach than using body features for authentication“, says Dirk Engling
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-23, 03:09 PM   #10820
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3396
Likes (Received): 1005
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

I like the large bottom bezel on the pixel. the way I hold my phone, my thumb would really have to be reaching to touch the very bottom of it. As it is now, it's all very comfortable to use. Plus everybody thinks it's an iphone, so nobody thinks that I'm poor
Unread 2017-05-24, 08:50 AM   #10821
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The Galaxy S8 Active has been leaked by the Wireless Power Consortium

The Wireless Power Consortium was formed in 2008, to promote the Qi wireless charging technology in consumer products. It looks like someone at the WPC has messed up, as the unannounced Galaxy S8 Active has appeared on the site.
The below picture gives us our first look at the S8 Active, and it definitely looks sleeker than the previous models. It doesn't have the same edge-to-edge Infinity Screen, but the top and bottom bezels look roughly the same size. In fact, it looks a lot like the LG G6.
The page also reveals that the S8 Active's model number is 'SM-G892A,' and as you might expect from being on the WPC's website, it supports Qi wireless charging. Unfortunately, there's no side photo, so we don't know for sure how hefty it will be.

Unread 2017-05-26, 08:04 AM   #10822
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Rubin’s mysterious new Android phone will do something your iPhone can’t

There are several interesting Android devices in the works, and one of them is supposed to launch real soon. No, it’s not the OnePlus 5, although that one also qualifies. It’s Andy Rubin’s Essential, a flagship device that should compete directly against the iPhone 8, the Galaxy S8, and every other high-end Android handset you can think of. We don’t know many things about the Essential phone right now, other than it’s supposed to have an edge-to-edge screen and offer a feature unseen on the iPhone so far.

We got our first Essential glimpse a couple of months ago when Andy Rubin posted the image above.
Then, on Thursday, the official Essential Twitter account came online teasing something “big” for next week. Apparently, the phone should be unveiled on May 30th.
Hours later, Essential tweeted an image that shows a phone complete with a strange accessory on top. Nobody could blame you if you thought it’s a camera. It’s probably the kind of add-on that makes sense.

But here’s what happens when you add some light:

Yes, it appears the Essential phone will have a 360-degree camera accessory for VR and AR. The image also seems to imply there’s going to be some sort of connector placed on top of the phone to attach that camera.

Looking back at Rubin’s previous tweets, it shouldn’t be a surprise to hear that Essential is also working on VR/AR cameras. After all, everybody is interested in these technologies, and smartphones now have technical abilities that support VR and AR.

But Rubin already teased last month that Essential is working on a device that would have 360-degree video recording capabilities:

That’s all we know about the Essential iPhone killer at this point, so we’ll just have to wait for the company to tell us more about it next week.

Unread 2017-05-30, 10:56 AM   #10823
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Rubin’s Essential phone revealed: launching for $699 with modular functionality

The Essential phone, the new handset from Android creator Andy Rubin, is finally here. The smartphone was unveiled on the official Essential.com site (via The Verge)earlier today, which outlined all of the key details about the upcoming device.

The handset features a near bezel-less display that hugs the central front-facing camera at the top of the device face (similar to the front camera setup shown in a recent LG patent.) That screen doesn’t cover quite the whole body, though, and the Essential features a noticeable chin at the bottom of the handset. On the back, you’ll find a fingerprint scanner and a unique sensor setup — and you may notice a lack of branding. The essential is made from a combination of titanium and ceramic which should make it pretty durable.

On the back, you’ll find a fingerprint scanner and a unique sensor setup — as well as a complete lack of branding. The device itself is made from a combination of titanium and ceramic which should make it pretty durable.

In terms of the Essential phone’s specs, inside you’ll find a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor with Adreno 540 GPU, 4 GB of RAM, and 128 GB of internal storage space. Meanwhile, the display comes in at 5.71-inches, with a 19:10 aspect ratio and 2560 x 1312 pixel resolution (almost QHD) with Gorilla Glass 5 protection.

There’s an 8 MP front-facing camera with 4K recording and on the back is a dual 13 MP camera setup with f/1.85, similar to the Huawei P9. The battery comes in at 3,040 mAh and the handset will feature USB Type-C, but it won’t house a 3.5 mm headphone jack (though it will come with an adapter in the box). In addition, the device will launch with Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box and include NFC capabilities.

The Essential will also make use of modular functionality, with a couple of accessories available at launch: a 360-degree camera — capable of shooting UHD (3840 x 1920) video at 30fps — and a charging dock. These connect to the device via metal pins, and further accessories are said to follow after the device launch.

We still don’t know when exactly the Essential phone will be released, but the starting price as been confirmed at $699 and pre-orders are now open. The unit comes in four colors: Black Moon, Stellar Grey, Pure White and Ocean Depths (the awesome one you can see at the top of the page), but only the black and white options are up for pre-order currently. The handset will be released in the US initially, but we’re still waiting on wider price and availability details.

That’s all we’ve got on Rubin’s phone for now but you can expect more in the coming days. Head over to Essential.com if you want to pre-order your Essential phone and give us your initial thoughts on the device in the comments.

News

Andy Rubin, Essential

Unread 2017-05-31, 01:29 PM   #10824
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

[Update: New details plus Andy Rubin interview] The Essential phone is official, with an edge-to-edge display and the world's smallest 360-degree camera accessory

As early as January, we learned that Android co-founder Andy Rubin's new hardware company was preparing to release a bezel-less smartphone sometime soon, and the anticipation has been building ever since. The new device was further teased with a mostly-concealed image, followed by a Twitter account just a few days ago, through which it was announced that May 30th would be the reveal date. That day has finally come, and it appears to have been well worth the wait as Essential is not only launching the expected phone, the PH-1, but also the world's smallest 360-degree camera attachment and a standalone smart home device.

First up, the phone. And those bezels. Or rather the lack thereof. It's truly a thing of beauty, taking the idea introduced by the LG G6 and the Samsung Galaxy S8 and raising the bar higher still. There is a small bezel below the 5.71" screen, but the top and sides are essentially bezel-less. You might expect a device of this type to include the front-facing camera and sensors in that bottom bezel, as per the Sharp Aquos Crystal and the Xiaomi Mi Mix. Instead Essential places it right under the LCD panel, within the confines of the screen at the top of the phone. This is not something we've seen before, and it will be interesting to see how the software is optimized to accommodate this. The PH-1 is a fair bit shorter than the Galaxy S8 but with a screen almost as big. The aspect ratio of 19:10 is also slightly less extreme than the 18.5:9 sported by the Galaxy S8 and the LG G6. The Essential phone's screen matches its competitors with a QHD resolution of 2560 x 1312.
The Ocean Depths colorway.
Aside from the crazy screen, the most interesting feature has to be the magnetic connectors on the rear of the device. Similar to the Moto Z and its Moto Mods, these connectors are there for the attachment of modular accessories. Two of those have already been unveiled, the most impressive of which is what Essential is calling the "world's smallest 360-degree personal camera." Similar to a Samsung Gear 360, it uses dual fisheye lenses to capture images and stitches them together to create full 360-degree videos. Its 12MP sensors can shoot QHD video at 30 frames per second, and the samples on the Essential site look pretty convincing. The other magnetic accessory we've so far caught a glimpse of is a charging dock the phone lies flat on, much like a wireless charger, allowing for quick access and easy removal. The two-part connector is barely noticeable on the back of the phone, and with some more compelling accessories Essential could capture the imagination where Lenovo/Moto has failed.
The 360-degree camera attached via magnetic connectors.
As for the phone's other specs, it's exactly what you'd expect of a 2017 flagship. It includes the top-of-the-line Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 SoC, 4GB of RAM, 128GB of internal storage, an Adreno 540 GPU, and a 3040mAh battery. It includes a 27W charger, which might even bring it near OnePlus' Dash Charge territory. The PH-1 has a dual rear camera setup similar to the Huawei P10, with separate full-color and monochrome sensors next to one another, and an 8MP front sensor capable of shooting 4K video. Power and volume buttons adorn the right-hand side of the device, and there's a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor below the camera module and the magnetic connectors. Essential is also talking up the phone's titanium construction, which it says stands up better than the aluminum used in most other flagships today. The titanium can be found on the body of the device, while the back is ceramic and the front panel is covered in Gorilla Glass 5. There's one particularly notable omission, that of the 3.5mm headphone jack. The inclusion of a dongle to allow you to connect your current headphones through the USB Type-C connector will likely annoy as much as appease, but there you go. For better or worse, it seems as though it's the future and we're just going to have to deal with it.

There's no mention of an exact release date but you are able to pre-order the phone from the Essential shop. It's only available in Black Moon or Pure White at the moment, but the more adventurous Stellar Grey and Ocean Depths will be available soon. It's going to set you back $699 for the device alone, but there's a special offer currently that will also get you the 360-degree camera for an extra $50. That's a saving of $149 when compared with the usual $898 for both together, a very good deal for those who are even a little bit tempted by the camera.

Previous

Next

It has to be said that the Essential PH-1 looks as though it's worthy of the hype, but we won't know for sure until we've had a chance to play with it. As soon as we get our hands on it, we'll let you know our thoughts.
As well as the PH-1 phone and its accessories, Essential also announced a smart home assistant device, Essential Home.
Update: 2017/05/31 3:53am PDT Andy Rubin was interviewed by Walt Mossberg for Recode as part of Code 2017 yesterday, and he gave us a short demo of the Essential phone plus shared some new details. Skip to around 14:30 in the video to take a look at the PH-1 in the flesh and also see that that nifty 360-camera in action. I must say the way the camera so easily snaps on to the back of the phone using the magnetic connectors is really satisfying.
New details we didn't know before:
  • The phone will ship in around 30 days
  • It will run a virtually stock version of Android 7.1.1 Nougat out of the box
The rest of the interview is well worth watching as Rubin talks about how he came to this point after leaving Google and also goes on to talk about Essential Home, his new company's smart assistant that he hopes will take on Google Home and Amazon Echo.

Unread 2017-05-31, 01:43 PM   #10825
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

/r/android is pretty well against that device due to the missing headphone jack.

Motorola had a few devices without one that didn't receive crazy backlash, but they weren't super hyped or "pure" Android like this device.

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat