Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-05-17, 02:48 PM   #10801
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 890
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 21

That's a shame. Note 7 would still be a top dog compared to other current devices.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-17, 03:48 PM   #10802
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Blobs be gone: With Android O, Google completely redesigns its emoji again

Android O is going to bring a lot of changes to our favorite mobile platform, and one of the most visible for those of us using Nexus and Pixel products will be the emoji: Google is completely redesigning them. Again.
The new emoji are teased over at Emojipedia, who got an exclusive look at the redesigned characters. If you want the tl;dr - they're more circular now.

Emojipedia says every single emoji has been touched in this revamp, so they should all feel like they're part of the same design family. Android O will support the entire Emoji 5.0 character catalog, as well, which means something I think we all get behind: more emoji.
Express your feelings on the death of the blobs in the comments. Preferably using emoji.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-18, 10:56 AM   #10803
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android O is shaping up to be exactly what Android needs

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ-dOODlQgg

Today’s Google I/O presentation was as wide-ranging as the company’s various ventures into future technology, though the biggest cheers of excitement were inevitably reserved for Android. I just got my first taste of Google’s next iteration, codenamed Android O, and it looks like it’s targeting exactly the areas where Google’s mobile OS needed improvement.

An O-verwhelmingly positive first impression

Battery life, a thing that matters to all users at all times, is getting a nice helping hand from a couple of changes that limit resource consumption by apps running in the background. When a background app wants a location update, for instance, Android O will feed it the user’s last known location instead of activating the GPS or other hardware to collect a fresh location. Then, when the app is in the foreground, it regains its privilege of being able to poll for current location info. If you’re thinking that’s how it always should have been, I totally agree.
Google’s umbrella term for the unsexy but essential under-the-hood improvements in Android O is "vitals." My other highlight from among them is the massively improved bootup time: my personal Google Pixel took more than twice as long to start up than Google’s demo Pixel running O. I also find Android O runs very fast and smooth already, despite being only beta software. Naturally, not everything works flawlessly in the new OS yet, so I can’t judge how well Google is doing with its other vital bulletpoint, stability, but the first impression I’ve obtained is a positive one.

Notifications are getting another dose of refinement

The more visible changes include a streamlined Settings menu (when has a Settings menu not looked in need of streamlining?), another gradual update to how notifications work, and new app badging à la the iPhone. Google calls these notification dots, and it adds a nice twist to the idea by automatically color-matching the dots to the app icon. A long press on an app with a notification dot on it lets you access a secondary menu where you can swipe that alert away without having to hunt it down in among your agglomeration of notifications in the tray.
Perhaps the biggest small change in Android O is the addition of picture-in-picture functionality. It allows YouTube Red subscribers to punt a video they’re watching to a small window — positionable anywhere on the screen — and carry on using their phone as usual. The Google Duo video-chatting app also supports this behaviour, but those two apps are the full extent of this functionality for now. I’d really love to see this made available to all YouTube users, and once third-party app makers like Netflix jump on board, it’s likely to grow into a popular feature.
Android O is littered with little nips and tucks that just enhance the user experience without necessarily being visible or apparent. At this stage in Android’s evolution, this approach feels like the best one to take, and I suspect we’ll all be just as aggrieved about not having the Android O update on our non-Google phones as we have in previous years of slow Android upgrades.*
*Google claims it’s made some other changes in the OS that will make Android more modular and thus expedite Android updates, but I’ll believe that when I see it, not before.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes KUweatherman liked this post
Unread 2017-05-18, 09:11 PM   #10804
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Android O Dev Preview 2 swaps around WiFi and cellular status icons for some reason

Google is always making little tweaks to the UI during the developer previews, but there's usually a reason. The new Android O preview inexplicably swaps the cellular and WiFi indicators around in the status bar. It's very weird to see.

In Nougat, DP1, and earlier, the WiFi icon is to the left of the cell icon. That's nice because the angle of the WiFi icon and the slope of the signal line up closely—they nest together. With the WiFi icon to the right, it just looks awkward. I mean, just look at it above.

There's one other quirk that (I hope) is simply a bug. If you disable WiFi, the grayed out icon stays in the status bar, just taking up space. Gross.

Unread 2017-05-21, 09:38 PM   #10805
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

3D-Printed Galaxy Note 8 With Dual Camera Setup Leaks Online

A 3D-printed model of what’s said to be the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 appeared on Chinese social media website Weibo earlier today. The source leaked three real-life images of the model and also shared an alleged press render of the device in what looks like Coral Blue. One of the images depicting the black 3D-printed model of the Galaxy Note 8 shows the handset next to the Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, suggesting that Samsung’s upcoming Android phablet will be noticeably larger than its 2015 smartphone. While the reference device obviously resembles both the Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S7 Edge, the thicker shape of its physical Home button excludes the latter while its screen size indicates it also isn’t the former. According to previous industry rumors, the Galaxy Note 8 will boast a 6.3-inch display panel, meaning that the Galaxy S6 would look much smaller next to it than the phone featured in the image below does.
The prototype itself sports a vertical dual camera setup on its rear panel, as well as a combination of a standard LED flash and a heart rate monitor located immediately below its two main lenses. The top bezel of the phone shows several slots for a selfie camera and an iris scanner, while its overall design indicates that Samsung is sticking with the 18.5:9 aspect ratio, curved screen, and a nearly bezel-less design. The render of the device that presents it from both the front and back confirms as much, in addition to revealing two separate volume buttons on the left side of the smartphone instead of a volume rocker that was featured on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus. The handset depicted in the render also boasts a dedicated Bixby button located below its volume controls, as well as a Power button on the opposite side of the phone. Finally, a (Coral) blue S Pen is also present in the render, though it doesn’t seem significantly different to that of the Galaxy Note 7 with the exception of featuring a small constriction near its tip.

The South Korean consumer electronics manufacturer already confirmed that the Galaxy Note 8 will launch in the second half of 2017, so more details on the upcoming Android flagship should be available shortly. Refer to the gallery below to see the newly leaked 3D-printed model and render of the device.

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-05-21 at 09:40 PM..
Unread Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #10806
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Leak Details Massive Pixel 2 Smartphone

The Pixel 2 is going to be big. Literally very, very big...
The ‘Taimen’ has surfaced. The third of three codenamed Pixel handsets - Muskie, Walleye and Taimen - until now it was only rumoured through anecdotal code fragments, but now the device itself has appeared and revealed its core specifications.
The handset was picked up having been tested on ubiquitous benchmarking software Geekbench - a famous honeytrap for upcoming devices. It recorded the handset’s CPU as a “Qualcomm @ 1.90 GHz, 1 processor 8 cores”, aka the Snapdragon 835 used in the US edition of the Galaxy S8. There was also 4GB of RAM and it was running Android O, the next generation of Android due for release later this year.
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept by Concept Creator

So how did the Google GOOGL +0.91% Taimen perform? In line with other Snapdragon 835 models:
  • Google Taimen: Single Core: 1804 | Multi Core: 6284
  • Galaxy S8: Single Core: 1929 | Multi Core: 6084
  • Xperia XZ Premium: Single Core: 1943 | Multi Core: 5824
This is impressive given the Taimen is still a pre-production device. Then again the first generation Pixel and Pixel XL actually used a Snapdragon 821 chip, which was an incremental advancement over the Snapdragon 820 in the Galaxy S7. Whether the 821 only existed due to issues with the 820, however, is a matter for debate and there are no signs a Snapdragon 836 is planned at this stage.
So why is the Taimen massive? Because of Google’s smartphone codename history:
  • 2012 - 4.7-inch Nexus 4 (Mako)
  • 2013 - 5-inch Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
  • 2014 - 6-inch Nexus 6 (Shamu)
  • 2015 - 5.2-inch Nexus 5X (Bullhead), 5.7-inch Nexus 6P (Anger)
  • 2016 - 5.1-inch Pixel (Sailfish), 5.5-inch Pixel XL (Marlin)
Google has always used fish (or whales in the case of the Nexus 6) and they always correspond to size with the larger phone getting the larger species. Muskies (up to 17kg / 38lbs) are larger than walleyes (up to 11kg / 24lbs), but Taimen are in another league altogether with specimens caught over 100kg (220 lbs).
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept

Of course there is a chance such a size difference means the Taimen will be a tablet like the Nexus 9 or hybrid like the Pixel C, though Google has historically differentiated these lines with Nvidia Tegra chipsets and 4GB of RAM in a hybrid would seem low for a late 2017 device.
Furthermore Apple will launch three new iPhones this year (maybe four) with a standout premium 10th anniversary edition among them. Could Taimen be Google’s equivalent standout Pixel? The optimist in me certainly hopes so...

Unread Yesterday, 08:10 PM   #10807
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4956
Likes (Received): 2123
Dislikes (Given): 120
Dislikes (Received): 174

Might just be me, but that is a hideous looking phone.
Unread Yesterday, 08:19 PM   #10808
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 890
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Good thing it's not hard to beat the first Pixel
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:34 PM   #10809
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Concept Creator

Google Pixel 2 concept

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat