Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-05-10, 03:40 PM   #1
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 17
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 1
Question Need advice- Wife wants new windows

My house is older (1969) and most of the windows are original. It is time for an upgrade. I have 15 total windows or 17 if you include the 2 on either side of the front door that i hate. Anybody recommend a good window installer? What should I look for in a window today. All i've ever had were aluminum ones with PITA storm windows.
AeroSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-10, 04:02 PM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I had my old house done by Window World as well as a front door and didn't have any issues with them

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks AeroSquid thanked for this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-10, 05:57 PM   #3
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like

can you ballpark a price per window you paid? Just curious.
Unread 2017-05-10, 06:05 PM   #4
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

let me dig in my paperwork and see, we did some "upgrade" for the gas/dual pane whatever

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks AeroSquid thanked for this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-10, 08:35 PM   #5
seawolfxix

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 34
Likes (Received): 27
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

We had a gang of windows (two casements and a half-moon) replaced by Window World, and I was very satisfied with the product quality, installation, etc.

I would use them again if we needed more windows replaced.
Unread 2017-05-10, 08:45 PM   #6
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 160
Likes (Received): 356
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

I sent you a PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-10, 09:03 PM   #7
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 164
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15

I'm doing windows in my 1912 rental. 170 a window installed from sunshine windows. Add a few bucks for epa bullshit and they come out close to 200ea. Single hung vinyl. Double hung is $10 more. They look good. Good warranty.
Unread 2017-05-12, 07:04 AM   #8
joekr

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 25
Dislikes (Received): 2

I had Window World do our entire house a couple of years back as did my neighbor. They've been wearing well and I have zero complaints.. They were the cheapest of all the quotes as well.
joekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 08:43 AM   #9
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 90
Likes (Given): 329
Likes (Received): 654
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by polock4life View Post
I'm doing windows in my 1912 rental. 170 a window installed from sunshine windows. Add a few bucks for epa bullshit and they come out close to 200ea. Single hung vinyl. Double hung is $10 more. They look good. Good warranty.
Do you have kids? That "EPA bullshit" is there so that the contractors working on the windows in your 1912 house with, almost certainly, lead based paint doesn't spread a mess all over the place with lead dust and poison your children.

Of course if you don't care about children growing up with irreversible neurological damage, then by all means, poison away.

As a side note to this, OP, you might look into contracting a company to do lead testing prior to installation. It might cost $100-200 for your whole house, but a 1969 house probably doesn't have lead and then you can avoid the surcharge. Over 15-17 windows you're looking at probably $500+ in additional charges for following the EPA lead based paint rule.
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 08:59 AM   #10
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3396
Likes (Received): 1005
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:
vinyl windows that cheap will probably just fall apart within 5-10 years at most. i have a 1930 home and i am trying to find someone to renew the original windows in the main rooms. the bedrooms and others have been replaced haphazardly by prior owners and the vinyl ones are all shittier than the original 85 year old windows.

Last edited by shaun y; 2017-05-12 at 09:03 AM..
shaun y is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 11:05 AM   #11
CC's70RS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 44
Dislikes (Given): 1

I sent you a PM.
Unread 2017-05-13, 09:45 PM   #12
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
Do you have kids? That "EPA bullshit" is there so that the contractors working on the windows in your 1912 house with, almost certainly, lead based paint doesn't spread a mess all over the place with lead dust and poison your children.

Of course if you don't care about children growing up with irreversible neurological damage, then by all means, poison away.

As a side note to this, OP, you might look into contracting a company to do lead testing prior to installation. It might cost $100-200 for your whole house, but a 1969 house probably doesn't have lead and then you can avoid the surcharge. Over 15-17 windows you're looking at probably $500+ in additional charges for following the EPA lead based paint rule.
Home is vacant but thanks for your heart felt concerns. Have you read the Kansas epa regularions for lead paint? Do you know how easy it is to get the certification... meaning most of the people certified are bit going to do proper remediation.

You also know the lead based standards in Kansas don't require anything when you work on an area that small. That's why my comment about BS was made. The windows do not exceed the size. Also the windows will be replaced from the outside. That means removing 2 stops that hold the windows in. It's virtually nothing as far as disturbing paint. Lead is certainly serious business when it comes to kids and those with regular exposure

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
vinyl windows that cheap will probably just fall apart within 5-10 years at most. i have a 1930 home and i am trying to find someone to renew the original windows in the main rooms. the bedrooms and others have been replaced haphazardly by prior owners and the vinyl ones are all shittier than the original 85 year old windows.
They are above the quality that I have encountered at Menard and home Depot for entry level windows. I have seen them in place for that length with no issue. The windows are in place for a rental in my situation. Also these are offered with a decent warranty.

Replacement windows are not difficult to install and can be bought at good prices when purchased from wholesalers. Sure you will spend an arm and a leg if you buy from a major company with great marketing

Last edited by polock4life; 2017-05-13 at 11:02 PM..
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-14, 05:28 PM   #13
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Home is vacant but thanks for your heart felt concerns. Have you read the Kansas epa regularions for lead paint? Do you know how easy it is to get the certification... meaning most of the people certified are bit going to do proper remediation.

You also know the lead based standards in Kansas don't require anything when you work on an area that small. That's why my comment about BS was made. The windows do not exceed the size. Also the windows will be replaced from the outside. That means removing 2 stops that hold the windows in. It's virtually nothing as far as disturbing paint. Lead is certainly serious business when it comes to kids and those with regular exposure
I'm going to blow your mind here, so brace for it. I LITERALLY helped draft and pass those regulations that you're asking if I've read. Though, it wasn't much different than EPA's version, since Kansas adopted, by reference, the EPA CFR's with a few exceptions like disallowing the use of heat guns to remove paint and the use of over the counter test kits.

And regardless of size (6 square feet is the number you're looking for) ALL window replacements in a pre-1978 home are required to follow RRP rules. That's the law and if companies aren't following it, they can be fined a civil penalty not to exceed $1,000 per day per violation. It can add up, trust me.

Here you go: http://www.kshealthyhomes.org/downlo...ance_chart.pdf
Unread 2017-05-14, 07:11 PM   #14
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like

That's great, glad you are highly in the know.

Thanks for the schooling on the fact all windows need it. Exterior work is 20 Sq feet... all work performed from the outside so that was what I'm referring to. I have no problem paying for it but the info you shared wasn't as easily found. Your approach of being a dickhead about it really wasn't helping anyone

Getting certified doesn't mean much... I still stand by that.

I also believe that removing 2 window stops that equate to less than 2sq feet of disturbance is pretty stupid. I find that to be bullcrap. A policy that causes this requirement on a very simple window replacement is silly... it literally disturbs a fraction of the size that the epa deemed standard. It's just a simple generalization like most policies... leaves out common sense because there are too many idiots out there not following policy when needed.

Another part of the the policy i disagree with is that I can't even paint my own property I own if anyone else outside of my family lives there...of course unless I get certified and have someone sign off on it

I realize the harm of lead but in my cases its silly.

Last edited by polock4life; 2017-05-14 at 07:17 PM..
Unread 2017-05-14, 07:42 PM   #15
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
That's great, glad you are highly in the know.

Thanks for the schooling on the fact all windows need it. Exterior work is 20 Sq feet... all work performed from the outside so that was what I'm referring to. I have no problem paying for it but the info you shared wasn't as easily found. Your approach of being a dickhead about it really wasn't helping anyone

Getting certified doesn't mean much... I still stand by that.

I also believe that removing 2 window stops that equate to less than 2sq feet of disturbance is pretty stupid. I find that to be bullcrap. A policy that causes this requirement on a very simple window replacement is silly... it literally disturbs a fraction of the size that the epa deemed standard. It's just a simple generalization like most policies... leaves out common sense because there are too many idiots out there not following policy when needed.

Another part of the the policy i disagree with is that I can't even paint my own property I own if anyone else outside of my family lives there...of course unless I get certified and have someone sign off on it

I realize the harm of lead but in my cases its silly.
In many cases it is ridiculous. But until you witness chelation therapy via intramuscular injection on a toddler, while they're screaming in agonizing pain, you'll never appreciate the requirements. I've since moved on from this particular job so I haven't been involved in it for many years, but I'll tell you, out of the hundreds of contractors I spoke with directly, about 50% said it wouldn't affect them because they ran professional clean operations and already did most of what was required, 30% probably did it the right way but used it as an excuse to charge people more and blame it on the 'gubment' and 20% were just truly shitty contractors. It isn't hard, it isn't expensive, and most people do it anyway because it's the right way to do business.
Unread 2017-05-17, 03:16 PM   #16
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
I have a 1930 home and i am trying to find someone to renew the original windows in the main rooms.
Let me know if you find anyone to do work!

I need some work done on some casement windows and I've yet to find anyone that actually is up to FIXING the windows vs trying to sell complete replacements - I've found the replacement wood frame piece online and in theory it's easy to replace but I hate working on ladders and one set is up '3' stories (second floor but above a basement walk-out) and there is no way I'm getting up that high (nor do I have a ladder anywhere that big...)

If anyone else knows of someone that's willing to do the work I'd be glad to buy the products from the on-line vendor or point them at the vendors so it's literally just a labor job to R&R....
bwiencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-17, 06:19 PM   #17
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all the advice guys! i doubt lead paint will be an issue as none of the trim and whatever else around any of my windows is painted. Just bare wood. I'm going to paint some of them... eventually.
Unread 2017-05-17, 06:26 PM   #18
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

They are above the quality that I have encountered at Menard and home Depot for entry level windows. I have seen them in place for that length with no issue. The windows are in place for a rental in my situation. Also these are offered with a decent warranty.

Replacement windows are not difficult to install and can be bought at good prices when purchased from wholesalers. Sure you will spend an arm and a leg if you buy from a major company with great marketing
You have no idea how many irons i have in the fire not including my raging apathy with home improvement projects lol. Dude i just bought a new Ryzen CPU...aint nobody got time for THAT kind of Windows! I have a new computer to build! Far more important than silly windows.
Unread 2017-05-24, 06:39 PM   #19
inis

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 331
Dislikes (Given): 17
Dislikes (Received): 32

My home is over a 100yrs old, after a year of trying to restore the original double hungs I had given up. I ended up going with Anderson A-Series , with Clad exterior and Wood interior. Windows normally go for around a grand each. I got them down by choosing no-finish to the wood interior. So far I have 4 of them costing a total of $2800.00
Unread 2017-06-05, 11:12 PM   #20
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like

Windows measured, ordered, and installed in under 3 weeks. Very satisfied with the product.
Unread 2017-06-05, 11:14 PM   #21
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by inis View Post
My home is over a 100yrs old, after a year of trying to restore the original double hungs I had given up. I ended up going with Anderson A-Series , with Clad exterior and Wood interior. Windows normally go for around a grand each. I got them down by choosing no-finish to the wood interior. So far I have 4 of them costing a total of $2800.00
That's insane.

I see a lot of houses selling with updated windows. Resale not significantly better on the premium windows.
Unread 2017-06-06, 08:09 AM   #22
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 160
Likes (Received): 356
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Windows measured, ordered, and installed in under 3 weeks. Very satisfied with the product.

Who did you end up going with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-15, 10:24 AM   #23
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like

I used sunshine home improvement out of KC. Very good communication. Fast shipment and installation. Windows turned out great and have same look at stuff from Home Depot. Lifetime glass warranty on them too.