Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Unread 2018-02-23, 10:01 AM   #1
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 469
Likes (Given): 52
Likes (Received): 4018
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124
Default Bill Self Plays Dumb

As the head coach, you are responsible to know what's going on in your program, and to not allow these types of things to happen.

But hey, as long as you're winning, right?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...200329304.html

Quote:
Reports: FBI investigation could show dozens of basketball teams broke NCAA rules

Kansas’ Bill Self, president of the National Basketball Coaches Association, said Thursday he had not seen an ESPN.com report that the FBI’s investigation into college basketball corruption could result in “potential NCAA violations for as many as three dozen Division I programs.”

ESPN senior writer Mark Schlabach’s article, which was published Wednesday, quoted unnamed sources with knowledge of the FBI investigation as saying violations could be revealed, “based on information included in wiretap conversations from the defendants and financial records, e-mails and cell phone records seized from NBA agent Andy Miller. His office was raided on the same day the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches, in late September.” One source told ESPN that “the teams that are already there,” not mid-major programs, were involved.

Asked to respond, Self told The Star: “Without seeing the report, I basically reserve comment. I hope it’s inaccurate. I certainly don’t know enough to make a comment.”

Told that it involves the records seized from Miller, Self said: “I do not know anything about that.”

Asked if he’s worried about the profession or his school, Self said: “We’re obviously all concerned for our profession. I do not have any information to comment one way or another. Like I said, I hope the reports are not accurate, but whatever is found out we’ll deal with it and were going to do all we can to make it better so we don’t have to put ourselves in a position to be looked at in this manner again,” he added referring to college basketball as a whole.

ESPN’s Schlabach wrote that sources said “many of the alleged incidents involve illegal cash payments to prospects and their families, as well as players and their families receiving tens of thousands of dollars from agents while they were still playing in college. In some cases, according to the sources, NCAA head coaches were aware of the payments, while others didn’t have knowledge of the schemes.”

Self had no further comment on the matter.

Later Thursday, Yahoo Sports’ Pete Thamel published a story, citing anonymous sources, that said documents and wiretaps obtained by investigators could put up to 50 college basketball programs in NCAA trouble.

“This goes a lot deeper in college basketball than four corrupt assistant coaches,” one source who was briefed on the details of the case told Yahoo. “When this all comes out, Hall of Fame coaches should be scared, lottery picks won’t be eligible to play and almost half of the 16 teams the NCAA showed on its initial NCAA tournament show this weekend should worry about their appearance being vacated.”
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 10:19 AM   #2
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1041
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 11

sounds like he's speaking as the representative for all of college basketball - no way to know the details of every program

As far as the impact to KU, it makes sense not to comment until there's something to comment on
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 10:28 AM   #3
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2544
Likes (Received): 1704
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

I hope Bill doesn't have any knowledge and that KU isn't involved (though it's very possible some of the players have under-the-table deals).

This is way bigger than Bill or KU, though. that's a lot of programs that could be affected.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 11:07 AM   #4
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
I hope Bill doesn't have any knowledge and that KU isn't involved (though it's very possible some of the players have under-the-table deals).

This is way bigger than Bill or KU, though. that's a lot of programs that could be affected.

It’s called willful blindness.

He and the rest of them are most certainly guilty.
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 12:36 PM   #5
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2544
Likes (Received): 1704
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post

Guess we will have to wait and see what facts come out of it
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 12:59 PM   #6
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1041
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 11

I mean... the Billy Preston crash, the general nature of NCAA basketball, etc... everyone knows there's stuff happening. It's just part of the game to insulate it from the official program so there's no university impact.
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 01:55 PM   #7
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1348
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post

It will depend on his political views. If he is a GOP supporter, he will be found guilty no matter the facts.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 02:17 PM   #8
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
It will depend on his political views. If he is a GOP supporter, he will be found guilty no matter the facts.

Wrong section, bro.
Unread 2018-02-23, 03:04 PM   #9
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 941
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6514
Likes (Received): 2776
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 137

I don't know why coaches who are found to engage in this nefarious behavior aren't banned like the players. Total bullshit.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-23, 03:34 PM   #10
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post
sounds like he's speaking as the representative for all of college basketball - no way to know the details of every program

As far as the impact to KU, it makes sense not to comment until there's something to comment on
It’s that. He is being asked as the president of the coaches association.

Right now there is some scuttlebut about people like Jackson’s mom getting money but it’s so vague there isn’t anything anyone could say about it. Who gave it, when, and why are all important. And the sad part about this is the stuff that was leaked that is supposed to be the big “wave 2” is like a few hundred dollars.
Unread 2018-02-24, 11:43 PM   #11
bonecrusher

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 88
Likes (Received): 348
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 20

Sean Miller from Arizona should be done permanently. Caught on an FBI wire tap giving $100k to a recruit.

Self and KU's biggest worry (aside from Preston, Adidas issue, etc) is Josh Jackson and some former players. Josh Jackson's mom was "given" cash before he selected KU. The NCAA could imply that it helped steer him to KU.

This is going to take time and a lot of schools are implicated.
bonecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote