Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-02-06, 12:07 PM   #1
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 99
Likes (Received): 326
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 5
Default Home Alarm System/Company?

Shopping around for a new alarm system. Currently we have Monitronics, but the system is outdated and the rate just keeps going up. They have an offer to upgrade our system for about $400, but also ups our bill even more. Any recommendations?

My wife is convinced we need a monitored alarm, but I would personally rather spend the money and go self-monitored and start with some home automation at the same time.
95PreludeSE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-06, 02:39 PM   #2
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 259
Thanks (Received): 228
Likes (Given): 1772
Likes (Received): 1695
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Are you talking like a simplisafe system? You can buy their system and decide how to monitor it after the fact.

http://simplisafe.com/
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-06, 03:00 PM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 60
Likes (Received): 1907
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95PreludeSE View Post
Shopping around for a new alarm system. Currently we have Monitronics, but the system is outdated and the rate just keeps going up. They have an offer to upgrade our system for about $400, but also ups our bill even more. Any recommendations?

My wife is convinced we need a monitored alarm, but I would personally rather spend the money and go self-monitored and start with some home automation at the same time.
You could do exactly what you're talking about with SmartThings. It's the automation platform I use in my home.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-06, 04:02 PM   #4
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
You could do exactly what you're talking about with SmartThings. It's the automation platform I use in my home.
My SmartThings worked great for about a month. Now nothing functions as it did.
Unread 2017-02-06, 04:30 PM   #5
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
What problems are you having?

Unread 2017-02-06, 05:05 PM   #6
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
SmartThings is the route I want to go, just trying to talk my wife into it.
Unread 2017-02-06, 09:47 PM   #7
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
What problems are you having?
I'll PM you so I don't clutter the thread.
Unread 2017-02-13, 08:29 AM   #8
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 790
Likes (Received): 276
Dislikes (Given): 22
Dislikes (Received): 10

All the new stuff that's out like smart things are great until someone breaks into your house and you don't answer your phone because it's across the room or too loud to hear it or your socializing/working and you ignore it on purpose. Same with a fire alarm. I've seen people who are monitored end up saving more than half the house because of a monitored alarm vs a none monitored alarm homes usually just burn down completely or atleast at to the point that nothing left is salvageable. After seeing other friends and family go thru house fires and burglaries over the years, I'll always have my system monitored, at least if I miss or ignore the call.....they will call the police or fire department.

You may not like it, but your wife is right. Don't pinch pennies, however stay away from comcast/spectrum cheap ass alarms and stay away from overpriced adt. Go with a local company who has a good reputation.

Last edited by LTe; 2017-02-13 at 08:33 AM..
LTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-13, 08:55 AM   #9
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 443
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3774
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 121

German Shepherd/Smith and Wesson.
Unread 2017-02-15, 02:08 AM   #10
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 52
Likes (Given): 790
Likes (Received): 276
Dislikes (Given): 22
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
German Shepherd/Smith and Wesson.

Not home, dog is killed. I atleast hope before they kill the dog that he gets a good bite or two in. S&W is only good when your home. However most thieves won't fuck with your house when your home, they just want your stuff and if you have a loud large dog, it usually does scare off most opportunistic thieves. You just have to worry about the ones who don't care about dogs and will kill them. It does happen and more than most people know, the news never reports on half the crap going on out there. Also a dog doesn't work for me since my kid is allergic.

Not trying to frighten the OP. It's just robberies happen a lot more than most people know. You can't live paranoid, you just have to be proactive. A monitored alarm is the way to go in my opinion. I won't ever do a self monitored alarm again.

My idea is this, atleast with a monitored alarm, they may only get my tv by time the local PD shows up. Atleast that way, I'll still have all my other stuff.
Unread 2017-02-15, 07:11 AM   #11
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 443
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3774
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post
Not home, dog is killed. I atleast hope before they kill the dog that he gets a good bite or two in. S&W is only good when your home. However most thieves won't fuck with your house when your home, they just want your stuff and if you have a loud large dog, it usually does scare off most opportunistic thieves. You just have to worry about the ones who don't care about dogs and will kill them. It does happen and more than most people know, the news never reports on half the crap going on out there. Also a dog doesn't work for me since my kid is allergic.

Not trying to frighten the OP. It's just robberies happen a lot more than most people know. You can't live paranoid, you just have to be proactive. A monitored alarm is the way to go in my opinion. I won't ever do a self monitored alarm again.

My idea is this, atleast with a monitored alarm, they may only get my tv by time the local PD shows up. Atleast that way, I'll still have all my other stuff.

I don't disagree with anyone taking steps to keep their home safe.

For us, I just assume if they want it bad enough they will get it. We haven't locked our door since purchasing the home in '05.

Said German Shepherd is getting on in years though, and is ten now. He's a little long in the tooth, but he's still got some fight in him
Unread 2017-02-15, 08:25 AM   #12
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 190
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1284
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
For us, I just assume if they want it bad enough they will get it. We haven't locked our door since purchasing the home in '05.

Said German Shepherd is getting on in years though, and is ten now. He's a little long in the tooth, but he's still got some fight in him
When are you guys both at work, I will bring a large moving truck and some steaks over for the dog.

Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-02-15, 08:42 AM   #13
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like

Well I started converting our home to a self-monitored system with SmartThings the other night. We already have the Remington and Rover system in our house, and felt that the monitored system really doesn't do anything to deter thieves. If they kick in the basement door, they could make off with everything down there well before the police ever arrive.

I'm going to add a couple alarm horns and am in the process of upgrading my exterior lighting. So far I'm impressed with the system, and I think in the end we will actually be safer once I get the rest of the updates done around the house.

In the process of working on the basement I accidentally set off our existing alarm system... never got a call, no police, nothing. I'm wondering what the hell I've even been paying them for other than a false sense of security.
Unread 2017-02-15, 08:49 AM   #14
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Well I started converting our home to a self-monitored system with SmartThings the other night. We already have the Remington and Rover system in our house, and felt that the monitored system really doesn't do anything to deter thieves. If they kick in the basement door, they could make off with everything down there well before the police ever arrive.

I'm going to add a couple alarm horns and am in the process of upgrading my exterior lighting. So far I'm impressed with the system, and I think in the end we will actually be safer once I get the rest of the updates done around the house.

In the process of working on the basement I accidentally set off our existing alarm system... never got a call, no police, nothing. I'm wondering what the hell I've even been paying them for other than a false sense of security.
Which Window Open/Close sensors did you go with?

Unread 2017-02-15, 11:25 AM   #15
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Which Window Open/Close sensors did you go with?
So far I've just used the SmartThings branded multi-sensors for my doors, I haven't found a good small sensor I like for my windows. Plus I have a TON of windows, so trying to determine the best approach. I may just stick with a few glass break sensors for rooms with a lot of windows, and some open/close sensors for the remaining ones.
Unread 2017-02-15, 11:45 AM   #16
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
So far I've just used the SmartThings branded multi-sensors for my doors, I haven't found a good small sensor I like for my windows. Plus I have a TON of windows, so trying to determine the best approach. I may just stick with a few glass break sensors for rooms with a lot of windows, and some open/close sensors for the remaining ones.
Really you only need to tag windows that are easily accessible from the ground level.

Unread 2017-02-15, 03:35 PM   #17
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 97
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 924
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
Mine did the same thing with the 2nd Gen Hub then all the sudden within a months time it's now worked flawlessly.

Pretty much anyone I talk to about my setup ends up buying into it.

I've had good luck with Monoprice z-wave sensors too.