Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > SCCA / Autocross

Unread 2013-01-18, 09:52 AM   #1
Lake Garnett

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Default Solo event at Oak Park Mall Overland Park KS

I think it was about 1985 I remember coming out of oak park mall (Nickeodeon arcade entrance) and seeing solo racing in the parking lot. Don't know if it was SCCA solo or not but for sure I saw solo action in the parking lot. Later in corporate wood (OP KS) I worked at Equifax and over the weekend they had a solo event in our parking lot. didn't see it but the course was obvious when I went to work on Monday. My father raced in SCCA in Colorado (spec racer ford regional champ 94,95). I raced some scca and now race shifter karts at Lake Garnett, Lake Afton, Heartland Park, Hallet, etc. they go over 110mph on the straights and can take a turn faster that a car. Anyone else remember Oak park mall solo or where are other KC area solo locations? One i saw was in the Bannister federal complex parking lot (95th or bannister and troost) if a car lost it it would of been in the middle of bannister road.
Lake Garnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-18, 01:47 PM   #2
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 420
Likes (Received): 405
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

I started autocrossing here in 2001. The locations I've been at since then are the GSA (the tire killer lot), the Woodlands east and west lots, Arrowhead Lot A, Arrowhead Lot L (really miss those days), and Kansas Speedway. I'm sure I'm forgetting a location or two but the events are currently held at Metropolitan Community College Precision Driving Center in Independence. The police do training there as well. There were two autocross clubs in the area up until a few years ago, when the Crown autocross club finally disbanded.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-19, 12:38 AM   #3
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 337
Likes (Received): 1002
Dislikes (Given): 6

We autocrossed at the GM plant as well.
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-19, 12:46 AM   #4
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like

The GM plant was before my day but now that you mention it, I do remember someone telling me that events were held at Fairfax. I don't know how true it is, but supposedly we lost that spot due to management getting a little bent about the non-'Merican cars playing out there.
Unread 2013-01-19, 10:48 PM   #5
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
The GM plant was before my day but now that you mention it, I do remember someone telling me that events were held at Fairfax. I don't know how true it is, but supposedly we lost that spot due to management getting a little bent about the non-'Merican cars playing out there.
That's what I heard as well.

I always did the best there. Even won in my class a time or two back when I was younger.
Unread 2013-01-20, 02:58 AM   #6
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
That's what I heard as well.

I always did the best there. Even won in my class a time or two back when I was younger.
Did you ever do a GSA event? I think I did two there. The first time was ok for a small lot, but at some point they had refinished the surface and it was almost like there was glass in the pavement. Many tires were shredded that day and that was the last event at that spot.

Imagine how awesome it would be to go back to Lot L? I loved autocrossing there, as did many others. If I remember right, attendance was up to 150 people per event the last year there.
Unread 2013-01-20, 09:12 PM   #7
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Did you ever do a GSA event? I think I did two there. The first time was ok for a small lot, but at some point they had refinished the surface and it was almost like there was glass in the pavement. Many tires were shredded that day and that was the last event at that spot.

Imagine how awesome it would be to go back to Lot L? I loved autocrossing there, as did many others. If I remember right, attendance was up to 150 people per event the last year there.
I autocrossed there once and my front tires were trashed after the event. Trashed so badly I had to replace them the next day.

Arrowhead was great. I only autocrossed there once but it was a blast. I loved the elevation changes.
Unread 2013-01-21, 10:16 AM   #8
Lake Garnett

Post Thanks / Like
Default Arrowhead and Metropol. community college

I did a autocross at Arrowhead around 2005, I had a Italkart 125cc cik shifter I wanted to sell and it did the trick. three karts were there and we were the only ones breaking the 40 second mark. if they averaged all three runs I would of he the fastest overall time at the event. a huge vintage formula vee was there and he was slower. I did a kart sprint race at the Metropolotain community college place in Independence MO. A kid ened up in the lake the week before. LOL (all ok). Karter that did a bunch of solo like Blume was very good on the sprint tracks like lake garnett sprint etc, carrollton is long gone. I bet the Oak Park Mall solo was not an official SCCA solo event. maybe some other club like crown was.
Lake Garnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-01-31, 01:01 PM   #9
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 218
Dislikes (Received): 5

Back when I was at GSA autocrossing my Z, the parking lot wasnt very abrasive. Woodlands was better pavement then. Of course, you couldnt beat Forbes Field for grip/tearing up tires. Went there every year it was at Forbes until they moved it. I only competed 3 times at Nationals, but at least went to it to watch on Fridays. Kids came along and took away the extra money needed to support that kind of hobby. So I got away from it when Woodlands was used for the second season. Havent been to an event for quite a few years.
Unread 2013-03-01, 11:47 AM   #10
JS2FST1

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 11

I remember the blind corners at the woodlands and a Honda de sol not tightening his lug nuts and his wheels fell off
JS2FST1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-20, 10:19 PM   #11
motrubl

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 5

Growing up in the CCKC(Corvette Club of Kansas City) we used to solotime at the JCPenny distribution center on Lackman. Funnest time of my life. Saw SO many fun things. We had some Highway Patrolmen, see us from the highway, so they pulled in and gave the cones a go. Totally the reason I'm building my Mustang. I miss that fun.
'98 Z28, 423, M6, Black, 533rwhp, "All throttle, no bottle" **SOLD**

"When in doubt, Empty the magazine"
motrubl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-30, 01:00 AM   #12
Fumasseqy

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone,
I am Melissa... I am new in Oak Park, IL... Actually, I don't know about this solo event but I know Oak Park Mall... Because I have been gone there two times... Love the mall... lately I've had great experiences there, especially during Christmas shopping.
Unread 2013-05-31, 03:17 PM   #13
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 441
Likes (Received): 181
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumasseqy View Post
Hi everyone,
I am Melissa... I am new in Oak Park, IL... Actually, I don't know about this solo event but I know Oak Park Mall... Because I have been gone there two times... Love the mall... lately I've had great experiences there, especially during Christmas shopping.
This is Oak Park mall in Kansas that is being spoken of... we would love to see ya out here sometime though.
Kyle Bryan k is offline   Reply With Quote