Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > SCCA / Autocross

Unread 2013-06-09, 03:37 PM   #1
Username:*
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 54
Thanks (Received): 168
Likes (Given): 337
Likes (Received): 1002
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 10
Default 6/9 AutoX

Didn't see a thread for the event today so I figured I'd make one to see how everyone thought they did (if anyone on here was even here).

I had an absolute blast. It was the first time I got to drive the ST in real anger and the car did not disappoint!

I think my best time was in the 54's. I ran a 53.5 IIRC but hit a cone somewhere. I'm not sure where and no one that was watching my runs saw it so I'm guessing it was in the corner 3 area where everyone else was having the same trouble. I had to take it easy on my last run to get a good time in so I ended up being almost a second off of my fastest time as a result. Darn!
Username:* is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-09, 06:15 PM   #2
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 420
Likes (Received): 405
Dislikes (Given): 2

I was in StL all weekend so I missed it. I'm signed up for June 30 though. That will be my last KC event.

Any frustrations related to lack of limited slip during autox? When Pobst drove the car in anger, he felt it really needed a true lsd. Just curious what your thoughts are.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-09, 10:14 PM   #3
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
I was in StL all weekend so I missed it. I'm signed up for June 30 though. That will be my last KC event.

Any frustrations related to lack of limited slip during autox? When Pobst drove the car in anger, he felt it really needed a true lsd. Just curious what your thoughts are.
Are you moving?

In one corner (a slow speed right leading onto the long sweeping turn on the autocross course) it was pretty frustrating. The car squirmed around quite a bit trying to get traction. Other than that corner though it wasn't that noticeable. It'd be better with a real LSD that's for sure.

The amount of oversteer the car has dialed into it is absolutely fantastic. The rear end steps out exactly the right amount every time to get me through the corner. I haven't had that much fun autocrossing a car in all of the years I've done it.
Unread 2013-06-09, 10:18 PM   #4
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, heading to Minnesota. My wife is from there and it's time to leave Missouri. We are both ready to get out of here. Our house sold before it hit the market, and we already found a house up there.

All the magazines are saying the same about the ST about how willing the rear end rotates. Sounds like it would be fun to drive. The wife's MS3 rotated well too, but it sounds like the ST might be even better.

Did you read the ST vs. 2015 GTI in one of the mags recently? The GTI sounds like it's one helluva car. I might end up in one of those eventually.
Unread 2013-06-09, 10:26 PM   #5
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Yeah, heading to Minnesota. My wife is from there and it's time to leave Missouri. We are both ready to get out of here. Our house sold before it hit the market, and we already found a house up there.

All the magazines are saying the same about the ST about how willing the rear end rotates. Sounds like it would be fun to drive. The wife's MS3 rotated well too, but it sounds like the ST might be even better.

Did you read the ST vs. 2015 GTI in one of the mags recently? The GTI sounds like it's one helluva car. I might end up in one of those eventually.
Best of luck up there then! I'll try my best to make that autocross to give an official hello in person.

Yeah, I saw it. It sounds like a really good car. I'll be curious to see how the American GTI ends up compared to the Euro one.
Unread 2013-06-09, 10:51 PM   #6
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
Best of luck up there then! I'll try my best to make that autocross to give an official hello in person.

Yeah, I saw it. It sounds like a really good car. I'll be curious to see how the American GTI ends up compared to the Euro one.
Thanks! It will be very different for me living up there, but hopefully I can find something to do lol. Brainerd International Raceway isn't too far away, so at least I'll still be able to get my track fix without having to travel too far.

Please do stop me and say hi, if you recognize me. It's been so long since I've seen you that I'm sure if I'd even recognize you. I haven't seen you since buying the radar detector from you 3+ years ago (yes, I still use that haha). I've gained a few pounds since retiring from the AF, so I'll be the plump guy driving Christian's M Coupe.

Hopefully they won't change the GTI too much for the US version.
Unread 2013-06-09, 10:58 PM   #7
V-dubbin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 804
Likes (Received): 513
Dislikes (Given): 56
Dislikes (Received): 254

Do you guys have a link to the event on the 30th? I might be interested in doing my first auto x.
V-dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-09, 11:06 PM   #8
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-dubbin View Post
Do you guys have a link to the event on the 30th? I might be interested in doing my first auto x.
Let me know if this doesn't work...

http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.c...9#.UbVQrfY9BAs

Edit: you can also sign up at the event, but you'd want to show up by 9ish. I think they close registration at 10, but I wouldn't wait that long. If I remember right, it's $35 but if you're not an SCCA member you'll have to pay $10 for a 'weekend' membership.

Last edited by Mike V; 2013-06-09 at 11:09 PM..
Unread 2013-06-09, 11:35 PM   #9
V-dubbin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 804
Likes (Received): 513
Dislikes (Given): 56
Dislikes (Received): 254

Link works. Thanks!

What kind of helmet is required?
V-dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-10, 12:21 AM   #10
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 400
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3589
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Didn't pre-register, and my autox tires are pretty much shot.

I would like to try to make the one at the end of June.

54s eh Ryan? What was the top street tire pax for the day? You'll probably smoke me if we both run the next one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-10, 08:30 AM   #11
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by snm95ls View Post
Didn't pre-register, and my autox tires are pretty much shot.

I would like to try to make the one at the end of June.

54s eh Ryan? What was the top street tire pax for the day? You'll probably smoke me if we both run the next one.
Probably 51's or 52's if I had to guess. Cones had a lot to do with that though. The corner 3 section had a spot where I think every single person took out two cones at one point so a lot of people (myself included) had to back off on their last runs to set a time that would be cone-free.

I have never seen so many cars take out so many cones like yesterday. It was unreal. I think at one point we called in 12 cars in a row in our section.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWavyfOWmS8

This was my best cone-free run of the day. Going out onto the sweeper turn you can see my car at the beginning of the turn kind of squirming to the right and left. That was torque-steer combined with the brakes trying to pretend they can do the job of a LSD.

Last edited by Username:*; 2013-06-10 at 08:41 AM..
Unread 2013-06-10, 08:37 AM   #12
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-dubbin View Post
Link works. Thanks!

What kind of helmet is required?
They have loaner helmets there so if you don't plan on doing a lot of autocrossing it might be cheaper for you to just borrow one of them.

If you want to buy one, here's a list of allowed helmet certifications:

http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...ert_decals.pdf
Unread 2013-06-10, 08:41 AM   #13
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 400
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3589
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username:* View Post
Probably 51's or 52's if I had to guess. My 53 would have put me in the top 15 for PAX (out of almost 100 cars!). Cones had a lot to do with that though. The corner 3 section had a spot where I think every single person took out two cones at one point so a lot of people (myself included) had to back off on their last runs to set a time that would be cone-free.

I have never seen so many cars take out so many cones like yesterday. It was unreal. I think at one point we called in 12 cars in a row in our section.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWavyfOWmS8

This was my best cone-free run of the day. Going out onto the sweeper turn you can see my car at the beginning of the turn kind of squirming to the right and left. That was torque-steer combined with the brakes trying to pretend they can do the job of a LSD.
Damn!

That course looks like a lot of fun. Kind of sad I didn't go now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-10, 08:56 AM   #14
More awesomer than you

Post Thanks / Like

It was. It was a fast course too. I saw the limiter in second in two spots and that's around 65mph IIRC.
Unread 2013-06-13, 01:26 PM   #15
autoxgalant72

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 335
Likes (Received): 72
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 3

I never got a time for a fast clean run since the timing system failed. I was 51.xxx all day and I figured out how to take the second box fast without a cone.

Its weird, you say rev limit in 2nd is 65, which is where mine is, but I never hit mine.

#72 sm
'91 Volvo 244Ti '72 Suzuki GT380
'88 745 waiting to be unveiled!
autoxgalant72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-18, 05:22 PM   #16
cahilj

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 47
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 18

I missed the 9th, but I'll be there on the 30th. Looks like it was a fun course.
cahilj is offline   Reply With Quote