Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

KANSAS CITY STREET RACING
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Unread 2018-04-13, 08:30 AM   #1
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Marvel: Eternals movie?

RUMOR: Marvel Studios Is Reportedly Preparing To Announce An ETERNALS Movie

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is going to expand moving into Phase 4 but will the Eternals be among the new additions to this world? According to a new report, they're on the way to the big screen...

We've been hearing rumblings about the possibility of an Eternals movie for a while now but Bleeding Cool has run a report claiming to have heard from "ultra-reliable" sources that a big screen adventure featuring the characters is indeed in the works. The heroes were created by Jack Kirby and with Thor: Ragnarok borrowing heavily from his work in terms of visuals, they'd fit in really well in the MCU.

An announcement is said to be imminent and Marvel Studios has been meeting with writers about the property recently so we could now hear something official about the film in a matter of weeks.

Eternals would also be a great way for Kevin Feige and company to outshine Warner Bros.' plans for a New Gods movie and this lot would definitely fit in well after Guardians of the Galaxy kicked open the door to a Marvel Cosmic Universe. This group of characters are an evolutionary offshoot of humanity living on Earth who possess greater powers and longer lifespans than the mainstream human race.

They're not the most well-known group but neither were the Guardians before James Gunn brought them to the big screen so this project definitely has some potential...if it ultimately happens that is!

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-05-15, 08:40 PM   #2
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel Studios Enlists A Pair Of Black List Writers To Pen THE ETERNALS

Well, it sounds like Marvel Studios is indeed planning on launching a new franchise with The Eternals in Phase 4 and they've now enlisted a pair of Black List writers to pen the script. Come take a look!

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Marvel Studios has tapped Matthew Firpo and Ryan Firpo to pen the script for The Eternals.

No further details were provided, but this latest piece of news does come in hot on the heels of Disney CEO Bob Iger telling shareholders last week that Marvel was looking to launch a new franchise relatively soon and while many assumed it would be a film based on The Eternals, nothing had been confirmed until now. The Eternals now joins the Untitled Spider-Man Sequel, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Black Panther 2, and Black Widow as titles that have more or less been confirmed for Phase 4.

For those unfamiliar, the story of the Eternals began over five million years ago when the Celestials visited Earth and performed genetic experiments on early proto-humanity - creating two divergent raches: the long-lived Eternals and the genetically unstable Deviants. As for which characters we may see, THR strongly implies that Ikaris, Sersi, and Thena will be among the many characters introduced.

The cousins are best known for writing Ruin, a spec script that reached the top of the 2017 Black List. The film follows a nameless ex-Nazi captain who navigates the ruins of post-WWII Germany determined to atone for his crimes during the war by hunting down the surviving members of his former SS Death Squad. It's currently in the very early stages of development, but has Justin Kurzel (Assassin's Creed) attached to direct with Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman) possibly starring.

Unread 2018-06-15, 01:16 PM   #3
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Josh Brolin Absolutely Loves Playing Thanos & Is Game For Eternals

Josh Brolin absolutely loves playing the part of Thanos, and is eager to reprise the role in The Eternals. The villain was essentially the star of this year's Avengers: Infinity War, which essentially inverted the Hero's Journey to set Thanos up as the star of the film. And it seems Brolin is keen to return to the MCU, potentially even after 2019's as-yet-untitled Avengers 4.

It's been an exciting year for Brolin, who starred in not one but two Marvel superhero movies. He played the time-traveling warrior Cable in Deadpool 2, and the Mad Titan himself, Thanos, in Avengers: Infinity War. Both were tremendous roles, but Brolin has already admitted he preferred the part of Thanos. Brolin went in expecting the mo-cap experience to be a frustrating one - "my expectation was pretty low," he explained, "given that I just thought I was a prop." In reality though, he found the experience to be a thrilling one.

At the Sicario 2 press junket, we had an exclusive opportunity to speak to Brolin about Thanos's possible future. We asked specifically about The Eternals, a Marvel project with strong ties to Thanos. Amusingly, it seems Brolin was actually unaware this film is in the works. Here's the conversation:

Screen Rant: Are there any plans post Avengers 4? We know that Marvel is developing the Eternals, which Thanos is...

Josh Brolin: I didn't know that.

Screen Rant: Yeah.

Josh Brolin: Oh good. Does that mean I'll be in it?

Screen Rant: I'm hoping. That's my hope at least.

Josh Brolin: (Laughs) That always good to know.

Screen Rant: Thanos is such an interesting character. Half philosopher, half warrior, and you portray that perfectly.

Josh Brolin: Yeah, you know what, I don't know what the future brings and who knows, but [I] love the idea of something infinite like this. I've never been involved in sequels. The fact that we've done some of Avengers 2, oh sorry, Avengers 4 but Infinity War 2, I'm going back. I'm going to do more, and we're going to do some reshoots and all that. So, I'm excited about all that. I love the Russos. I love working on the Avengers. I didn't think I was going to and I actually loved it. I didn't even like it. I loved it. I like playing that character. It's a Brando-esqe, Apocalyptic Now character and it's fun, but you know, I don't know. I don't know what the future holds. I've been surprised my entire career so we'll see.

Avengers 4 is set to undergo additional photography in the Fall, and it seems Brolin will be required on set. The actual plot of Avengers 4 is steeped in mystery, with Marvel currently refusing to even give away the title, which is apparently a spoiler of some kind. This is expected to resolve the cliffhanger ending of Avengers: Infinity War, with Earth's surviving heroes either averting or preventing the "snap" from ever happening. Thanos's fate, of course, remains unknown. Marvel has a habit of killing off their villains, but fans are rather hoping Thanos will survive to return in the future.

If he does indeed survive, The Eternals would be a logical place for Thanos to appear. Avengers: Infinity War effectively teased the existence of the Eternals, with scenes set on their ravaged homeworld of Titan. It's possible this will serve as some sort of prequel, exploring the MCU backstory of the powerful race of aliens, but more likely is that Thanos's people aren't as extinct as he believed. That would make a fascinating arc for the Mad Titan, calling into question every one of his motives.

It's no surprise that Brolin isn't up to speed on the latest Marvel movie news. After all, he's been too busy acting to keep checking! The Eternals is still in the earliest stages of pre-production, so Marvel would have had no reason to reach out to Brolin yet if he is intended to return.

Unread 2018-06-25, 09:47 PM   #4
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel’s Eternals Film Could Completely Change MCU History

The entire history of the Marvel Cinematic Universe could be changed when The Eternals, the highly anticipated cosmic drama that’s currently in development, hits theaters. The possibility was broached by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige during the Ant-Man and the Wasp press junket, when he elaborated on a potential direction for the film.

When asked by ScreenRant about the property tying into Greek mythology as writer/artist Jack Kirby envisioned when he created the series back in 1976, Feige said: “Well, one of the cool things about that property and what Jack Kirby did with it and what’s been done with it in recent years is it does tie into they’re called Eternals, they’ve been around for a long time. You know? There’s this notion of all of these myths and legends that we know from ancient times, were they inspired by the Eternals?”

This could either introduce the pantheon of Greek gods to the MCU, such as Hercules and Ares, or maybe retcon the early days of mankind as it evolved. “Were they Eternals? It’s a very … you know, it’s an ancient aliens kind of sci-fi trope that we think would be fun to explore someday,” Feige added.

Of course, Marvel Studios has broached this subject already by painting the Asgardians as highly-evolved humanoid beings, so the Eternals could play out the same way. However, with the Inhumans present as Kree experiments in the MCU, there’s also the possibility the Eternals could be kept as experiments as per the comics, instead of full-fledged aliens.

Unread 2018-06-27, 08:07 AM   #5
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Feige Comments on Exploring the Eternals

When Avengers 4 comes out next year it will mark the end of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as we know it and open the door for new stories and new parts of Marvel's rich history to come to life on the big screen. While there's been no official announcement of what any of the post-Avengers 4 films will be, a movie based on The Eternals has been heavily rumored to on that slateand now, Kevin Feige is opening up about exploring those characters and their potential.
In an interview with Screen Rant, the Marvel Studios head said that there was a lot to explore with the Eternals, including ancient myths and legends.

"Well, one of the cool things about that property and what Jack Kirby did with it and what's been done with it in recent years is it does tie into they're called Eternals, they've been around for a long time. You know?" Feige said. "There's this notion of all of these myths and legends that we know from ancient times, were they inspired by the Eternals? Kevin Feige: Were they Eternals? It's a very ... you know, it's an ancient aliens kind of sci-fi trope that we think would be fun to explore someday."
For those unfamiliar, The Eternals were created by the King of Comics Jack Kirby back in 1976 as a group of god-like beings who have been part of the universe for a very long time, having been created when cosmic beings known as the Celestials genetically experimented on humans, creating the super-powered beings with near immortality. While the Eternals are basically an unknown quantity except to die-hard Marvel fans, exploring the group within an "ancient aliens" type of trope like Feige described would make for an interesting story that would also have audience appeal for audiences who have never been exposed to the Eternals before.

It's -- meaning the introduction of unfamiliar and challenging character concepts -- also something that Marvel Studios has had success with before. Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant-Man, and Doctor Strange are all examples of stories that weren't exactly mainstream before those movies premiered. Now, it'd be hard to imagine the MCU without those characters and their impact. Just take Groot and Rocket from Guardians, who went from relatively obscure to non-Marvel fans to household names complete with memes on Twitter.
Even with The Eternals years away -- Feige recently revealed they're working on movie plans for as far out as 2025 -- the framework is already starting to come together. In Avengers: Infinity War, Thanos is greeted as "Thanos, son of A'lars" when he goes to collect the Soul Stone. A'lars is the real name for the character more commonly known as Mentor -- one of the Eternals.

Unread 2018-09-23, 08:31 PM   #6
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's THE ETERNALS Finds Its Director With SONGS MY BROTHER TAUGHT ME's Chloe Zhao

Well, that was fast! We only found out that Marvel Studios was planning an Eternals movie fairly recently, but it's now been announced that Chloe Zhao (The Rider) will helm the project. More past the jump.

According to THR, Marvel Studios has tapped Chloe Zhao to direct the studio's next potential franchise, The Eternals.

The script from Matthew and Ryan Firpo is said to focus on "super-powered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous off-shoot known as the Deviants that were created by cosmic beings known as Celestials." The report also confirms that the main characters will be Ikaris, "a man fueled by cosmic energy," and Sersi, "who relishes moving amongst humans."

Zhao garnered acclaim for indie flicks The Rider and Songs My Brothers Taught Me, and was actually on Marvel's radar to helm the Black Widow movie before Cate Shortland landed the gig.

Apparently, Nicole Kassell (HBO's Watchmen pilot) Travis Knight (Bumblebee), and Birds of Passage duo Cristina Gallego and Ciro Guerra were also in contention to
direct The Eternals.

Unread 2018-09-25, 08:47 PM   #7
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel’s Next Big Thing: What You Need to Know About Chloé Zhao and ‘The Eternals’

When Marvel was eyeing Chloé Zhao to direct Black Widow back in April (among others like Amma Asante and Deniz Gamze Ergüven; the job eventually went to Cate Shortland), the pairing seemed like a long-shot. A unique voice like Zhao’s doesn’t immediately seem like it would gel with the Hollywood studio system. We’ve seen Edgar Wrights and Lord & Millers a-plenty — Ant-Man and Solo would go on to be directed by Peyton Reed and Ron Howard respectively — but on the other hand, Disney’s own recent efforts like Black Panther (Ryan Coogler) and Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson), which both fit the mold of blockbuster filmmaking while allowing their creators a personal stamp, make speculating from this side of the studio gates a fool’s errand.
When it was announced on Friday that Zhao would not only be tasked with a Marvel movie, but with cosmic opera The Eternals of all things, reactions were understandably mixed. Some were enthusiastic, while others lamented a distinct eye being lost to the Marvel machine (this writer is optimistic, albeit cautiously) because alas, speculation is all we have in this 24×7 Disney-dominated news cycle. One can hardly begrudge anyone their extreme responses — for every Patty Jenkins leaving Thor: The Dark World due to creative differences, there’s Patty Jenkins knocking Wonder Woman out of the park and negotiation a seven-figure salary on the sequel — so the best we can do is look at the what’s what and the who’s who and hope for the best behind-the-scenes. Every creative partnership is different, after all.

Who is Chloé Zhao?

It’s been almost a year to the day I watched The Rider at the New York Film Festival, and I’d be hard-pressed to say I’ve seen a better film since. Zhao’s debut feature Songs My Brothers Taught Me was one of the best films of 2016 (both films tell modern Native American stories in ways we seldom see on-screen) and her next project sounds equally potent: the story of Bass Reeves, the first Black U.S. Deputy Marshal. With just two films under her belt and a third on the way, Zhao has carved out a unique space in global cinema, finding culturally-driven Western (or Western-adjacent) stories in places one wouldn’t normally think to look.
The Beijing-born, London-L.A.-New York educated Zhao has rightly become a festival darling, though for those unfamiliar with her style or sensibilities, it can be hard to fully grasp why this news feels like such a head-trip. The neo-realist Songs My Brothers Taught Me is an understated tone-poem about a handful of Native American half-siblings meeting to mourn death of their father, Carl Winters. Some embraced the identity given to them and took Winters’ last name (like teen protagonists John and his eleven-year-old sister JaShaun) while others refused to do so, resenting his absence through their lives and feeling left behind.
The film was a much-needed antidote to Hollywood’s one-note portrayals of Native American characters. Set on South Dakota’s Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, it captures the joys and struggles of Lakota Indians in all their various hues through an authentic blend of tradition and modernity, playing like a metaphor for modern Native Americans’ complicated relationship to America today. In the process of making the film, Zhao met horse-wrangler and former rodeo-star Brady Jandreau, who would go on to be the subject of her sophomore film. The Rider, which features Jandreau in the lead role of Brady Blackburn (along with his real-life father and sister filling those fictional roles respectively), tells of a critically-injured rodeoer and his struggles with losing his very identity, not unlike Jandreau’s real-world struggles, blurring the lines between fiction and documentary in the process. The rodeo is all Blackburn knows and all that makes him who he is; he loves it deep in his bones, but the next time he gets on a horse, it could very well kill him.
Blackburn, a modern Native American cowboy, faces the distinctly modern struggle of having to question where he belongs when he’s robbed of an old-world, traditionally masculine sense of self. Re-orienting his outlook borders on impossible when the cuts are so deep (in literal terms, they require dozens of stitches on his forehead) and it’s in the quiet moments where this realization dons on Blackburn that Zhao and The Rider truly shine. Which, of course, sounds entirely at odds with a bombastic, often space-set Marvel property about Gods and aliens spread far across the universe, but the optimist in me can’t help but draw parallels between Zhao’s work and this bizarre 1976 Jack Kirby creation.

Who are The Eternals?

A talking tree and a gun-toting raccoon may be the weirdest things to show up in a Marvel movie thus far, but they’re the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the last several decades of Marvel comics. Marvel’s alternate-history spans billions of years, going all the way back to the origins of the universe itself; we’ve seen part of this history with the Infinity Stones, though the particular (and peculiar) Eternal-centric chronology begins with an ancient God-like species known as The Celestials. In Guardians of the Galaxy, the severed head of a Celestial forms the space-station Knowhere (another Celestial, Eson ‘The Searcher,’ is shown wielding one of the Infinity Stones in an expository hologram) though the first substantial appearance of one of these beings is Ego The Living Planet in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
Since Ego wasn’t a Celestial in the comics, he’s untethered from much of the Celestials’ larger comicbook history. Ego plants life on various worlds in the hopes of creating a superior being, but the Celestials actively experimented with life on different planets, creating ‘Eternals’ or super-powered beings with unnaturally long lives (Thanos, for instance, is a mutant Eternal of Titan; the X-Men, the Kree and the Skrulls are all descendants of Celestials’ genetic meddling too) though their experiments also yielded evolutionary off-shoots The Deviants, i.e. the Eternals’ primary antagonists, an unstable race of destructive monsters.
It all feels a bit retrograde a la Kirby’s own Inhumans, in that not only physical ability, but moral and ethical alignment are determined by genetic predisposition. And yet, The Eternals has the potential to be one of the most out-there and effective steps for the Marvel Cinematic Universe going forward, as the MCU establishes what it wants to be once the original Avengers are (presumably) out of the picture. Why make more run-of-the-mill, Earth-bound superheroes when such a vast array of cosmic characters is available for use? What’s more, there’s a specific take on The Eternals that could very well fit Zhao’s wheelhouse.

Re-Awakening the Eternals

The Captain Marvel trailer hinted at an interesting deviation from the comics, in that Carol Danvers has little to no memory of her time on Earth (it bears similarity to a recent comic arc wherein using her powers erases her memory, but it appears to have been remixed into her origin story). What lies ahead, if the trailer is any indication, appears to be Carol re-discovering her human identity; interestingly, the best recent Eternals comic features the opposite dynamic. In Neil Gaiman’s run on the property in the mid-2000s, the Eternals’ presence on Earth had become a secret, known only to the Eternal Ikaris a.k.a. Ike Harris. The rest of the Eternals have no memory of their millions of years as Gods on Earth, believing themselves to be regular human beings living regular human lives — that is, until Ikaris begins reminding them of their true nature in order to thwart an oncoming conflict involving the Deviants and a sleeping Celestial.
This amnesiac approach seems likely for logistical reasons. The Marvel Cinematic Universe began as a story with a single superhero, Iron Man, before spreading out into the cosmos, so the Eternals having been a present-but-hidden element all this time would feel in line with the ever-expanding singular continuity (one wonders if the X-Men eventually being integrated into the MCU would see a similar approach, in that mutants have simply been in hiding until “now”).
More so than simply logistic however, it feels like right kind of story for someone like Zhao, whose narrative concern thus far has been the up-ending of characters’ status quo through sudden events that cause them to reflect on their identity. If the story being told in The Eternals is one of ordinary people realizing the true depths of their roots and the burden they carry, then Zhao seems like a perfect fit. Though, as I said, this is mere optimistic speculation.

Marvel’s Blockbuster Pipeline

It’s a net good that women and people of colour are being given the same opportunities to jump from independent cinema to blockbusters. Examples of white men being afforded this chance time after time, often after first features, are all too easy to rattle off — Marc Webb from (500) Days of Summer to The Amazing Spider-Man, Josh Trank from Chronicle to Fantastic 4, Gareth Edwards from Monsters to Godzilla, Colin Trevorrow from Safety Not Guaranteed to Jurassic World, and so on — while directors like Ava DuVernay had to make films for over a decade before being invited to the same meetings, and Patty Jenkins had to wait fourteen years between features. This is changing; Dead Pigs director Cathy Yan will direct Birds of Prey for DC, while DuVernay is fittingly set to follow her first Disney movie (A Wrinkle in Time) with Jack Kirby’s other big cosmic property The New Gods, also for DC.
Marvel Studios had a hand in this changing dynamic too after it got out from under Marvel Entertainment CEO Ike Perlmutter, bringing Taika Waititi aboard Thor: Ragnarok and Ryan Coogler aboard Black Panther. However, the concern that newer, less-experienced directors are being hired for these properties because it might be easier to get them to make the movie the studios want to make isn’t exactly invalid. Despite the wide variety of premises, from spies and soldiers to inter-galactic road trips, the Marvel “house style” is recognizable from afar. These films have to fit the same quippy, family-friendly tone at the end of the day. They have to be “Marvel movies” first. To their detriment? It depends; Ryan Coogler and Takia Waititi gave recent examples of slightly more director-driven works, whereas films like Ant-Man and the Wasp and Avengers: Infinity War fit the mold more closely. One might argue such a tonal continuity is a good thing (or at least something value-neutral) though anyone wondering how much of “a Marvel movie” The Eternals might be as opposed to “a Chloé Zhao movie” would have good reason to speculate (for my money, the answer will likely end up somewhere in between).
An argument that often comes up in these scenarios is that the likes of Zhao (or any given indie darling in the running) should ideally be making “the movies they want to make”— let’s ignore, for a moment, the possibility that this is what they want to make — which isn’t an unfair ask. There are some artists whose voices flourish best when unconstrained by even minimal studio interference, though the upside to someone like Zhao directing a Marvel movie is two-fold. One, the guaranteed financial success of a Marvel movie gives her greater influence and power to negotiate on future projects. And two, assuming the Coogler/Waititi trend continues, the resultant film will likely be a big blockbuster with hints of brilliant ideas smuggled in for mainstream audiences, as a woman of colour (and one of the best new directors on the indie scene) helps determine where these movies go next by bringing in a more global perspective, a la recent entries like Doctor Strange, Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2.
What will Chloé Zhao’s The Eternals be? Time will most certainly tell, and while it’s easy to be cynical about the state of blockbuster filmmaking, the folks at Marvel do, at least, have a halfway decent track-record of letting individual voices shine through even the most corporate of products. Take it from someone who both enjoys Marvel’s output and adores Zhao’s work, that’s a little something to feel positive about while we wait.

Unread 2018-10-03, 01:56 PM   #8
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Why The Eternals Movie Could Be Important For Marvel After Avengers 4

Fans and critics spent years discussing the Marvel Cinematic Universe's "villain problem," and when the situation was broken down it was pretty logical. After all, we're talking about a franchise built on the backs of its heroes, and, with some exceptions, it left the one-shot adversaries feeling temporary, disposable, and sometimes straight-up uninteresting. Fortunately, that is an issue that has fell by the wayside recently thanks to strong, compelling, and dynamic baddies, and it was this past summer that we saw the brand's best antagonist yet, Josh Brolin's Thanos, get his moment in the sun after six years of build-up.

This by itself creates an interesting new conundrum, however. Thanks to a powerhouse part in Avengers: Infinity War, the Mad Titan is now one of the most popular Marvel characters around, and because he's not a hero we expect to be leading his own eponymous blockbuster in Phase 4, the future for him after the untitled Avengers 4 is entirely unclear. That being said, it would be crazy for the studio to not try and tell more stories about the compelling, violent alien warlord -- and the good news is that the potential avenue has already presented itself. Late last month saw the news that Marvel is now developing a new feature about The Eternals, directed by Chloe Zhao, and it's this project that would be absolutely perfect to bring back Thanos after the end of his adventure with the Infinity Gauntlet in 2019.
Though it has not yet been fully established as canon in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Thanos is actually part of the third generation of the Eternals -- a race created millions of years ago when alien beings known as Celestials visited Earth and performed experiments on proto-humanity. He was raised on Titan as part of the ruling families, with his father, Mentor, serving as the leader of the colony, and as he grew stronger and smarter he began to not only understand flaws within the society, but also develop a fascination with death. Thanks to a brief bit of exposition in Avengers: Infinity War, we know that he had serious conflicts with planet's leadership and eventually watched them destroy themselves, but there are still plenty of details that we still don't know about his world and experiences, and The Eternals could be the perfect place to do some exploration of those events.

It should be noted that the expectation wouldn't be to have Thanos be the lead of the film -- as previous reports have suggested that the relationship between Ikaris and Sersi will take center stage -- but he could certainly be included as a key supporting character in the plot, given his significance and importance in the world of the Eternals. This would not only allow us to see his race and society through fresh eyes, but also offer whole new perspective on his personality and philosophy, letting us to watch him become the universe-changing monster that we saw in full force this summer and possibly gain a new understanding of him. And as a special bonus, the fact that the story would have to be a prequel also makes it totally safe from whatever happens to the character at the end of Avengers 4, so even if he dies the franchise wouldn't have to bother with any fake-outs or miraculous resurrections to legitimately bring him back.
When you look at this whole situation ignoring the specific details of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, including Thanos in The Eternals would be a classic Hollywood move. There's a long tradition of studios pulling out stops to try and develop projects for special breakout characters, and that's absolutely a way to describe the Mad Titan, who stole the show from 20-plus beloved heroes this summer. The company could just choose to move forward without him, as they have with most of their villains, but that would be squandering an awesome opportunity. Just as he's had in the comics, Thanos has immense potential, and the perfect way to take advantage would be including him in Chloe Zhao's upcoming film.

Unread 2018-10-26, 11:52 AM   #9
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Marvel Studios' 2020 Slate Reportedly Revealed; New Details On THE ETERNALS Surface

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 was recently removed from Marvel Studios' release schedule but a new report claims to shed some light on the movies they're lining up for 2020. Hit the jump for details!

Comic book fans are still mourning the fact Marvel Studios recently pulled one of its three planned movies from release in 2020, and with all the signs pointing to that having been Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, it's now clear we're only getting two MCU-set tales from them the year after next.
What will they be? According to That Hashtag Show, Black Widow is set to hit theaters on May 1st, 2020, and The Eternals will follow on November 6th, 2020.

It's a bold move by Marvel Studios, especially as Black Widow is arguably a second-tier character who may or may not be able to hold her own movie, while The Eternals are something totally new to both moviegoers and even some seasoned comic book readers. Still, at least we now know where things are potentially going!

The site also reveals that while there are two definitive takes on The Eternals - the Jack Kirby iteration and then the one from Neil Gaiman - the script by Matthew and Ryan Firpo is more heavily influenced by Kirby's work. As a result, it's said that it will introduce the worlds of both the Eternals and Deviants, with connections to several existing characters planned.

It's said that the movie will delve deep into the history of the MCU, so this is clearly going to be a big deal. How do you feel about this possible 2020 slate for Marvel Studios? Share your thoughts belo

Unread 2018-10-30, 09:34 AM   #10
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Eternals Could Be A Prequel To The Entire MCU

Marvel's most surprising film, The Eternals, could well be a prequel for the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe. Phase 4 of the MCU appears to be taking shape, and latest reports are that the 2020 releases will be Black Widow and The Eternals. Both films are believed be set in the past, revealing the never-before-seen history of the MCU. But of the two, The Eternals is by far the boldest.

A first rumored synopsis for The Eternals suggests that the movie will be set "millions of years ago," when a cosmic race known as the Celestials first began to experiment upon human beings. They will create two powerful evolutionary offshoots of humanity, the Eternals and the Deviants, races who will become locked in war. It's a fascinating concept, lifted straight from Jack Kirby's original 1976 design rather than (as had previously been expected) Neil Gaiman's 2006 relaunch of the franchise.

Why is Marvel choosing to take this surprising and unexpected approach? The answer may well lie in the fact that, in the comics, the Celestials and the Eternals are key to the history of the world. If the same is true in the MCU, then The Eternals could essentially be a prequel film for the entire shared cinematic universe. Here are the ideas that it could explore.

THE CELESTIALS

The Celestials are already an established part of MCU lore, introduced in James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy films. This powerful race was born long before any other civilizations formed in the universe, and they traveled the cosmos, experimenting with some races and judging others. One flashback scene showed a Celestial wielding the Power Stone, using it to destroy all life on an inhabited world.

But something happened to the Celestials. They mysteriously disappeared from the cosmos, believed to be rendered extinct. Only traces of them remain, like the mining colony of Knowhere, which is built in the severed head of a Celestial. According to the Marvel Studios Visual Dictionary, there's also evidence of them on the planet Sakaar, which is littered with dismembered parts of their bodies. What could drive a race like the Celestials to extinction? A common theory is that the Celestials lost control of the Infinity Stones and they were turned on their former owners, wiping them from the face of the universe.

Only one Celestial survived. As revealed in Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Ego was the last of the Celestials, and he gave a sense of just how powerful they truly were. Ego could manipulate his "living light" to manipulate matter on an atomic level, forming everything from host bodies for his consciousness to entire worlds. A lone Celestial possessed the power to be a threat to the entire galaxy; fortunately, the Guardians were able to destroy his living light and thus cut Ego off from the source of his power.

If the Eternals synopsis is correct, the movie will be set millions of years ago, when the Celestials were at the height of their power. In the comics, the Eternals honor and revere the Celestials; but it's entirely possible that the MCU will switch things up, and that the film will see the Celestials overthrown by their own creations.

THE ANCIENT HISTORY OF THE INFINITY STONES

The MCU's Infinity Stones are very different to the Infinity Gems of comic book lore. In Thor: The Dark World, Odin stressed that they are "relics" of the universe before our own. The Collector went further in Guardians of the Galaxy, though, summarizing their history in a fascinating speech. "Before creation itself, there were six singularities," the Collector explained to the Guardians - and, through them, to viewers. "Then the universe exploded into existence, and the remnants of these systems were forged into concentrated ingots... Infinity Stones." One line in that piece of dialogue has always caught the attention of fans; "forged." It suggests that the Infinity Stones were created, that sometime in the past aliens locked these mysterious "singularities" in "concentrated ingots" of power. Given the Celestials are the first known race to be associated with the Infinity Stones, and their power levels are so off the charts, most viewers have assumed that the Celestials themselves were the ones who created the Infinity Stones.

Earth has always seemed strangely important to the story of the Infinity Stones. So many of them seem to have found their way to this one small blue sphere; the Time Stone, the Reality Stone, and the Space Stone have all been strongly associated with Earth. The Avengers: Infinity War Prelude revealed that the Masters of the Mystic Arts even knew that the Power Stone had been secreted on Morag. Why is Earth so significant? The answer may lie in The Eternals. If this film really is the swan song of the Celestial race, then it will presumably fall to the Eternals of Earth to hide the Infinity Stones. The secret history of these cosmic artifacts may finally be revealed.

THE ORIGIN OF SUPERHUMANS
But, in Marvel comics lore, the Celestials did a lot more than just create evolutionary offshoots of humanity. As Jason Aaron's recent Avengers run has revealed, four billion years ago a dying Celestial's blood leached into the Earth, forever changing the evolutionary trajectory of our world. This, in the comics, is the reason humanity has the potential for so many superhumans. As Loki ranted in this year's Avengers #5, "Why has this particular, otherwise unremarkable world always been such a hotbed for super-powered madness? Why is the Earth so uniquely eccentric within the near-infinite number of planets strewn across the heavens?" The answer, Loki suggested, was because this was the world where a Celestial died.

When the human race ultimately developed, it was with the potential to continue evolving, to be changed and mutated, with a secret potential for power locked deep within our very DNA. The Celestial influence is the reason Steve Rogers could become a super-soldier, T'Challa could ingest a Heart-Shaped Herb and be granted phenomenal power, or Bruce Banner could use Gamma radiation to unleash the Hulk. The comics have established that it's even the reason a single gene was introduced into humanity, one that would lie dormant for millennia, until it finally gave rise to the mutant race and became known as the X-gene. So The Eternals could subtly prepare the way for the introduction of the X-Men into the MCU as well.

There's already some evidence of a secret, long-forgotten link between the Celestials and the human race in the MCU as well. In Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Ego traveled the cosmos mating with the females of different races, attempted to create a progeny who could wield his "living light" and thus enhance his own power. In the end, only a Celestial-human hybrid had the ability to do that. Is it possible that, in the MCU as in the comics, there's a Celestial influence on the human race that leaves us with the potential for greatness? That would explain why a human woman was the only one who could bear a child destined to briefly possess the power of a Celestial.

THE ORIGIN OF THE GODS?

Meanwhile, there's long been a mysterious link in the comics between the Eternals and Marvel's many Pantheons. Back in 1978, Roy Thomas penned a Thor annual in which he hinted that the Pantheons themselves may be some sort of Eternal colonies. He was careful not to draw the threads too closely together, choosing to make the connection implicit rather than overt, but the implication was there nonetheless. Later comics have tied the Eternals to the Greek Pantheon and its most famous Marvel hero, Hercules, although again the nature of this link has deliberately been left as mysterious as possible.

Given the sheer power of the Eternals, it's possible that in the MCU Asgard itself is an Eternal colony. It's worth remembering that, although the MCU is nowadays more willing to experiment with magic and sorcery, the universe is a science-fiction-based one. When Asgard was introduced in Thor, the Odinson described it as a place where magic and science were one and the same. Marvel consulted with quantum physicists when deciding how magic should work in their shared universe for Doctor Strange. So the MCU is quite likely to go for a science-based origin for Asgard - and this is a fascinating possibility.

A recent interview with Kevin Feige supports this idea. "There's this notion of all of these myths and legends that we know from ancient times," he observed. "Were they inspired by the Eternals?.. It's a very ... you know, it's an ancient aliens kind of sci-fi trope that we think would be fun to explore someday." That "someday" could be a lot sooner than anyone expected.

THE ETERNAL COLONY OF TITAN
The Celestials may be an important part of comic book lore, but the Eternals too are significant. In the comics, the Eternals gradually spread out from Earth, and colonized other worlds. One of the most notable explorers was A'lars, sometimes known as Mentor, who founded an Eternal colony upon the planet Titan. He was the father of Thanos, and for years he refused to acknowledge his son's evil, until Thanos committed matricide and killed A'lars's beloved wife Sui-San.

The MCU version of Titan is very different to the comics, ultimately rendered uninhabitable and inhospitable due to an unspecified disaster. And yet, Avengers: Infinity War still carefully tied Thanos to A'lars; the Red Skull addressed him as "Thanos, son of A'lars." It's possible that The Eternals will serve as something of an origin story for Thanos himself.
Related: Infinity War’s Thanos Isn't Really Marvel’s Thanos
There's actually an incidental piece of evidence supporting this idea. Back in April, it was announced that Barry Lyga was writing the first MCU novel, Thanos: Titan Consumed. Lyga had worked closely with Marvel Studios while writing the novel, and the publisher announced that this would be Thanos's canon backstory. No sooner was the announcement made, though, than Marvel Studios swiftly clarified that it wasn't to be considered canon after all. All this confusion suggested that the book was originally intended to be canon, but that something had changed in Marvel's plans. At exactly the same time, rumors began to circulate that Marvel was considering an Eternals movie. Less than a month later, Marvel hired Matthew and Ryan Firpo to write the script. Although this could all be coincidence, it does strongly suggest that Marvel's change in plans was their decision to push an Eternals film.

THE STORY OF ATLANTIS AND NAMOR

If the leaked synopsis is accurate, then The Eternals will be a love story set against the backdrop of the war between the Eternals and the Deviants. Crucially, in the comics this conflict is tied to the legend of Atlantis. The conflict between the Eternals and the Deviants reached its peak 10,000 years ago on the doomed continent of Lemuria, which was ruled over by the advanced race known as the Atlanteans. King Kamuu turned the capitol city's magma pits into a devastating weapon against invaders, but unwittingly triggered an unprecedented seismic event. Matters were worsened when the Deviants launched a ruthless attack upon their Celestial creators, who responded with a nuclear cataclysm. These two disasters coincided, and caused the entire continent of Lemuria to sink beneath the waves over the course of a week. Only a few Atlantean cities survived, protected from the crushing waters by great domes they had already constructed to keep their peoples safe from invaders. According to comic book lore, the god of the oceans blessed them by evolving them so they could survive underwater; given the Eternals are often mistaken for gods, that could be a reference to the Eternals attempting to save as many lives as they could by mutating the Atlantean survivors.

Marvel fans have long hoped that Atlantis, and its ruler Namor the Sub-Mariner, would ultimately appear in the MCU; indeed, a S.H.I.E.L.D. activity map in Iron Man 2 featured markings for both Atlantis (on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge) and Wakanda. The Wakanda Easter egg led to Black Panther, but Marvel has yet to build on the Atlantis reference due to complications with Namor's film rights. Still, at a recent event Marvel visionary Kevin Feige told journalists the Sub-Mariner could yet appear in the MCU. "Namor COULD make an appearance," Erick Weber reported on Twitter, "Still deciding IF and when."

THE SKRULLS WERE ALSO CELESTIAL EXPERIMENTS

Finally, it's worth noting that other races were experimented on by the Celestials in the comics as well. One such race were the Skrulls, with the Celestials creating similar Eternal and Deviant offshoots of the Skrull race. On Skrullos, a war broke out between the three different branches of the Skrull race, but it was won by the Deviants. All modern Skrulls are descended from the Deviants, and possess their shapeshifting powers. The Skrulls are set to be introduced to the MCU in next year's Captain Marvel. While it's unlikely The Eternals will focus on their story, there could well be a throwaway line of dialogue that sets up the ancient history of the Skrull race as well.

Unread 2018-11-06, 07:47 PM   #11
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's THE ETERNALS Is Reportedly Set To Commence Production In September Of Next Year

It looks like Marvel Studios has set a tentative September 2019 shoot date for The Eternals, which we recently found out would be helmed by The Rider director Chloe Zhao. More details after the jump...

It looks like we might have a pretty good idea when Marvel Studios and director Chloe Zhao plan to get The Eternals into production.

According to That Hashtag Show, a tentative shoot date of September 2019 has been set. If this is accurate, it would line up with a recent report that the movie was aiming for the previously announced November 6, 2020 release spot.

We still don't know a whole lot about this project, but it has been confirmed that Matthew and Ryan Firpo's script will focus on "super-powered and near-immortal beings known as Eternals and a more monstrous off-shoot known as the Deviants that were created by cosmic beings known as Celestials."

It's also been established that the the main characters will be Ikaris, "a man fueled by cosmic energy," and Sersi, "who relishes moving amongst humans."

Marvel is expected to assemble a diverse cast for The Eternals, and if this timeline is correct we should begin to get some casting announcements by early next summer.

Unread 2018-11-13, 07:09 PM   #12
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Kevin Feige Compares Eternals Movie to Guardians of the Galaxy

Marvel Studios head honcho Kevin Feige compares The Eternals to Guardians of the Galaxy in terms of having very little fanfare prior to their big screen debut. With the franchise's 22-film arc nearing its culmination in next year's Avengers 4, there have been more and more conversations about what lies ahead in the famed cinematic universe. Not much is known regarding Phase 4 at this point, but based on recent reports, it won't be long before a brand new superhero team is introduced in the ever-expanding MCU with the planned The Eternals movie.

Based on the characters created by Jack Kirby in 1976, the forthcoming project will be directed by The Rider's Chloe Zhao with a script written Matthew and Ryan Firpo. Plot details are being tightly kept under wraps, but a rumored plot synopsis reveals that the story will be told in several decades with the main focus supposedly on Ikaris and Sersi's romance. Production is tipped to begin as early as September of next year with a target release date of November 2020.

Speaking with Bionic Buzz during the Ryman Arts Fundraiser, Feige was asked about The Eternals and how they're attempting to tackle a brand new team of heroes that have very little fan-association. While that angle is seen as a hurdle in terms of adapting new comic book characters on the big screen, the Marvel Studios president said that they actually treat the public's unfamiliarity with the characters an advantage:

“Your reaction about not being familiar with the Eternals is perfect, because most people weren’t familiar with Guardians [of the Galaxy] and believe it or not there were people that were not familiar with Avengers or with Iron Man. So for us, it's finding great stories whether people have heard of them or not and bring them to the big screen in as amazing a way as we can.”

Feige has a point. In its 10 years, Marvel Studios has mostly relied on their lesser known characters to build the MCU, having sold most of their top tier characters to other studios a couple of decades ago. Prior to their successful big screen adaptations, the Avengers are only second to X-Men when it comes to superhero team popularity. While it was definitely a risk building a cinematic universe on the shoulder of Tony Stark/Iron Man, Thor and Steve Rogers/Captain America, the fact that the public weren't that familiar with them gave them the creative freedom to craft their own versions of the characters in their films. Not that they significantly altered the heroes' characterization, in fact, they've mostly stuck with their respective origin stories in print. But they had the wiggle room to update certain parts of their stories in order to both appeal to long-time comic book readers and casual movie-going audience.

Marvel's strong suit has always been their grounded and their relatable characters - something that co-creator Stan Lee had always been adamant about. That principle still holds true in the MCU with Feige at the helm as they mostly craft their narratives to service the heroes (unfortunately, most of the time at the expense of their villains). Despite the cinematic universe's flaws, one thing that they always seem to nail is their key players, who fans are emotionally invested in. And if their track record for compelling characters continues, the public will have new heroes to root for in The Eternals.

Unread 2018-11-17, 03:16 PM   #13
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS Character Lineup Revealed And There's Some Familiar Faces And Big Surprises

Marvel Studios will launch a huge new franchise in the form of The Eternals in 2020 and we now have a breakdown of the characters expected to appear in the movie, including some pretty big surprises...

Avengers 4 will mark the end of an era for the Marvel Cinematic Universe as well as opening the door for a new wave of characters to take the spotlight. Among them will be The Eternals, a group of characters even hardcore comic book fans aren't necessarily familiar with.

The movie is set to be released in 2020 and will delve into the ancient history of the MCU as well as taking us places we never expected to visit in this shared world.

Thanks to That Hashtag Show, we have some character breakdowns for you today which shed some light on all the lead heroes and villains, some of whom will definitely be familiar to you (either because they're connected to existing characters or because they're pretty big names in the source material). Honestly, The Eternals is shaping up to be something special!

So, to take a look at this breakdown, all you guys have to do is hit the "View List" button.

KAREN

No one knows who this is supposed to be but there's a lot of speculation that "Karen" is, in fact, a codename for a big name character from the comics fans won't be expecting to see here.

Apparently, Marvel is looking to cast an actress in her early 30s and they're open to any nationality or ethnicity but particularly Middle Eastern, African and Native American. She's said to be powerful with a timeless quality and a leader. In other words, she can kick ass but also has a warmth to her.

"MALE LEAD"

An unknown male character who is described only as "a Greek God." This has to be the big screen debut of fan-favourite Avenger Hercules, right? That's just speculation for now but seems likely.

DRUIG

It appears as if The Eternals' big bad will be Druig, a character introduced in the pages of Eternals #11 in 1977. Despite being a Jack Kirby creation, it was actually Neil Gaiman who put this guy on the map. In the comics, he can manipulate matter and energy and served as an agent of the KGB once upon a time, something which could give this movie a big link to Black Widow.

PIPER

A lead female aged 10 - 16, Poper is said to be strong and charismatic, and boasts a magnetic personality.

Marvel is looking for something with an athletic background who is wise beyond her years, articulate, and quick-witted. The site believes that this is actually going to be a new take on Sprite.

ELYSIUS

Actresses between the ages of 20 - 40 are being looked at for this character and, in the comics, she has enhanced strength, speed, and durability. She also commands griffin-like creatures via her limited telepathic abilities and was created by ISAAC, a sentient computer system on Titan.

That obviously means Marvel could tie her origin story into Thanos and it's worth noting that she was once romantically linked to Mar-Vell, so that could be a Captain Marvel connection as well.

FORGOTTEN ONE

Marvel is looking for a male between 25 - 45 for Gilgamesh, a character who became an outcast from his fellow Eternals when his meddling in the human world became too much for them.

As a result, he was banished to a sector of Olympus but later returned to their side. He's probably the most skilled hand-to-hand combatant in the entire group and uses an array of weapons.

IKARIS

Born over 20,000 years ago, Ikaris' powers are rooted in cosmic energy and he has psychic abilities and the power to create illusions. Marvel is eying actors in the 20 - 40 range which is a wide net.

MAKKARI

Another male actor age 25 - 45 is being hunted down for the Olympian hero who is a member of the Eternals Technologist's Guild and skilled at dreaming up various high-speed vehicles. He boasts your standard set of superpowers but will more than likely be used in a tech support capacity to get this group of weird and wonderful individuals around the cosmos!

SERSI

A fourth generation member of the Eternals, Marvel is hoping to find a woman aged 20 - 40 for the hero and she promises to be one of the most interesting parts about this movie, especially as she has a strong desire to live among the humans. She's also incredibly powerful as Sersi can only be killed if her atoms are scattered and it would take someone very powerful indeed to achieve that.

STARFOX

We've heard a number of times that there will be links to the wider Marvel Cinematic Universe in this movie and this has to be one of the biggest. Apparently, Marvel is looking for an actor 25 - 45 to play Eros of Titan, a.k.a. Starfox.

The brother of the Mad Titan, they grew up together but unlike his brother, he was a fun-loving womanizer and can harness cosmic powers to fly through space and, bizarrely, can even stimulate the pleasure centres of people to make them more susceptible for seduction. That's probably something we won't see too much of in the movie but time will tell...

THENA

One of the Eternals of Olympia, Thena is a warrior who has your standard enhanced abilities but is also near invulnerable and immortal. She can fly and cast illusions to disguise her appearance, while she carries a bow that fires arrows made up of "cold energy" which bombards enemies either with a ring of fire or anti-gravitons. Marvel is looking for an actress between 20 - 40.

ZURAS

A character with plenty of history in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he can create force shields, manipulate molecules, and fly at subsonic speeds. He once vied to lead the Eternals and ended up ruling over them on Earth. There's a lot Marvel could do with the character and his history is lengthy!

Unread 2019-02-21, 09:41 PM   #14
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

New Details On THE ETERNALS' Mystery Character "Karen" Have Possibly Been Revealed

We've seen a few casting breakdowns for Marvel Studios' The Eternals, but the identity of "Karen" has vexed us for a while. Now, new details have been revealed which seemingly shed some light on that...

Not too long ago, we received some character breakdowns for The Eternals (see below) which provided us with an idea of what Marvel Studios may have planned for the movie. However, one big mystery came in the form of someone named "Karen."

Looking to the comics provided no clues and there was a lot of speculation that she could be a newly created human character who would serve as our eyes into this cosmic world. Well, a new report reveals that she is more than likely from Earth and could be an archaeologist.

What does that tell us?

Well, in Jack Kirby's run on The Eternals, we were introduced to a woman named Margo Damian and her father (who was an archaeologist) and they were shown working alongside a cameraman named Ike - who turned out to be Ikaris in disguise - when they discovered the existence of the Eternals.

Now, it seems highly likely that Karen could be a new take on Margo, and MCU Cosmic notes that Marvel appears to be casting her and Piper/Sprite now - a sign that they'll appear in one of Avengers: Endgame's post-credits scenes, perhaps?

We'll have to wait and see, but be sure to stay tuned for updates as and when we have them.

Click on the "View List" button below for that
breakdown of The Eternals' characters!

DRUIG

It appears as if The Eternals' big bad will be Druig, a character introduced in the pages of Eternals #11 in 1977. Despite being a Jack Kirby creation, it was actually Neil Gaiman who put this guy on the map. In the comics, he can manipulate matter and energy and served as an agent of the KGB once upon a time, something which could give this movie a big link to Black Widow.

"MALE LEAD"

An unknown male character who is described only as "a Greek God." This has to be the big screen debut of fan-favourite Avenger Hercules, right? That's just speculation for now but seems likely.

KAREN

No one knows who this is supposed to be but there's a lot of speculation that "Karen" is, in fact, a codename for a big name character from the comics fans won't be expecting to see here.

Apparently, Marvel is looking to cast an actress in her early 30s and they're open to any nationality or ethnicity but particularly Middle Eastern, African and Native American. She's said to be powerful with a timeless quality and a leader. In other words, she can kick ass but also has a warmth to her.

PIPER

A lead female aged 10 - 16, Poper is said to be strong and charismatic, and boasts a magnetic personality.

Marvel is looking for something with an athletic background who is wise beyond her years, articulate, and quick-witted. The site believes that this is actually going to be a new take on Sprite.

ELYSIUS

Actresses between the ages of 20 - 40 are being looked at for this character and, in the comics, she has enhanced strength, speed, and durability. She also commands griffin-like creatures via her limited telepathic abilities and was created by ISAAC, a sentient computer system on Titan.

That obviously means Marvel could tie her origin story into Thanos and it's worth noting that she was once romantically linked to Mar-Vell, so that could be a Captain Marvel connection as well.

FORGOTTEN ONE

Marvel is looking for a male between 25 - 45 for Gilgamesh, a character who became an outcast from his fellow Eternals when his meddling in the human world became too much for them.

As a result, he was banished to a sector of Olympus but later returned to their side. He's probably the most skilled hand-to-hand combatant in the entire group and uses an array of weapons.

IKARIS

Born over 20,000 years ago, Ikaris' powers are rooted in cosmic energy and he has psychic abilities and the power to create illusions. Marvel is eying actors in the 20 - 40 range which is a wide net.

MAKKARI

Another male actor age 25 - 45 is being hunted down for the Olympian hero who is a member of the Eternals Technologist's Guild and skilled at dreaming up various high-speed vehicles. He boasts your standard set of superpowers but will more than likely be used in a tech support capacity to get this group of weird and wonderful individuals around the cosmos!

SERSI

A fourth generation member of the Eternals, Marvel is hoping to find a woman aged 20 - 40 for the hero and she promises to be one of the most interesting parts about this movie, especially as she has a strong desire to live among the humans. She's also incredibly powerful as Sersi can only be killed if her atoms are scattered and it would take someone very powerful indeed to achieve that.

STARFOX

We've heard a number of times that there will be links to the wider Marvel Cinematic Universe in this movie and this has to be one of the biggest. Apparently, Marvel is looking for an actor 25 - 45 to play Eros of Titan, a.k.a. Starfox.

The brother of the Mad Titan, they grew up together but unlike his brother, he was a fun-loving womanizer and can harness cosmic powers to fly through space and, bizarrely, can even stimulate the pleasure centres of people to make them more susceptible for seduction. That's probably something we won't see too much of in the movie but time will tell...

THENA

One of the Eternals of Olympia, Thena is a warrior who has your standard enhanced abilities but is also near invulnerable and immortal. She can fly and cast illusions to disguise her appearance, while she carries a bow that fires arrows made up of "cold energy" which bombards enemies either with a ring of fire or anti-gravitons. Marvel is looking for an actress between 20 - 40.

ZURAS

A character with plenty of history in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, he can create force shields, manipulate molecules, and fly at subsonic speeds. He once vied to lead the Eternals and ended up ruling over them on Earth. There's a lot Marvel could do with the character and his history is lengthy!

Unread 2019-03-02, 12:04 PM   #15
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS Will Reportedly Feature Marvel Studios' First Openly Gay Male Lead

Some intriguing new details on Marvel's plans for The Eternals here, as it looks like the studio is looking to cast an openly gay actor to play one of the movie's main characters. More past the jump...

It looks like Marvel Studios is preparing to make good on Kevin Feige's recent promise to give an LGBTQ actor/character a prominent role in an upcoming MCU project.

According to That Hashtag Show, the studio is currently searching for an actor in the 30-49 age range who “physically looks like a superhero” to fill one of the main roles in The Eternals. Apparently, they're open to performers of any ethnicity but "would prefer the role to go to an openly gay actor."

The report doesn't offer any hints as to which member of the team this actor would play, but it doesn't sound like it'll be Ikaris. Could it be Makkari or the hedonistic Starfox, perhaps? We'll just have to wait and see, but we should get a better idea once casting is underway.

THS does point out that director Chloe Zhao has expressed interest in casting Cameron Britton (The Umbrella Academy) as Ikaris, and may also have her eye on Polish actor Tomasz Kot (Cold War) for a "physically imposing" supporting role.

What do you guys make of this news? Any particular actors spring to mind for the role? Drop us a comment in the usual place. The Eternals is scheduled to commence production this September.

Unread 2019-03-27, 08:11 PM   #16
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS Finds Its Leading Lady In MALEFICENT Star Angelina Jolie

Here's a hot scoop to get you through hump day, as it's being reported that Academy Award-winner Angelina Jolie has signed on to star in Marvel Studios' The Eternals, which has Chloe Zhao set to direct.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Academy Award-winner Angelina Jolie has signed on to star in Marvel Studios' The Eternals. However, details on her leading role are being kept under heavy lock-and-key for now.

Plot details remain scarce, but THR's report confirms that a major aspect of the film will revolve around the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst the humans. While Jolie's role hasn't been confirmed, the fact that she's been cast as the female lead would seem to suggest she may be playing Sersi.

Chloe Zhao (The Rider; Songs My Brothers Taught Me) is directing the superhero feature, which is based on the Jack Kirby-created comic series, with a script from the writing duo of Matthew and Ryan Firpo (Ruin; Mimi From Rio).

Jolie recently wrapped Joachim Rønning's Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, which will open in theaters this October, and will then also star in Thea Sharrock's animation/live-action hybrid The One and Only Ivan and Brenda Chapman's Come Away before suiting up in The Eternals.

Unread 2019-03-29, 07:08 PM   #17
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS' Male Lead Rumored To Be Fan-Favorite AVENGERS Member Hercules...With A Twist

According to a new rumour, a fan-favourite member of Earth's Mightiest Heroes will take on the lead role in The Eternals: Hercules! Find out everything we know so far about his inclusion after the jump...

Earlier this week, we learned that Angelina Jolie has landed the lead female role in The Eternals. Now, a new rumour has started circulating online which claims that the movie's male lead is going to be Hercules. That makes perfect sense, right?

After all, the character's big screen debut is long overdue and this gives Marvel Studios the opportunity to tie this adventure into real-life mythology. So, what's the twist? Well, as we've heard in the past, the movie's male lead will be the Marvel Cinematic Universe's first openly gay character and there is, of course, a precedent for that in the comic books.

It's said that we may get some casting news soon in regards to who will take on the role and this direction for the character is bound to get comic book fans talking.

With any luck, we'll get to see Hercules somehow arrive in the present-day MCU somewhere down the line as it would obviously be a great deal of fun watching him interact with Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Thor, in particular. Hercules has been part of The Avengers on many occasions and could definitely bring a lot to the team during their Phase 4 adventures.

Unread 2019-04-06, 12:50 PM   #18
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS Adds THE BIG SICK Actor Kumail Nanjiani; Angelina Jolie Believed To Be Playing Sersi

Casting for Marvel's Eternals movie is really starting to heat up. Following the news that Angelina Jolie has joined the project, we're hearing that Kumail Nanjiani is also on board in a mysterious role...

Marvel is reportedly planning to get cameras rolling on The Eternals at some point this year, and following the huge news that Angelina Jolie has joined the project, THR reports that Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick, Silicon Valley) is also in negotiations to come aboard.

No details on his character have been provided, but the trades does seemingly confirm that Jolie will play Sersi, "a more outgoing Eternal who has not been afraid to move amongst humankind."

Nanjiani, who was nominated for an Oscar for co-writing The Big Sick with wife Emily Gordon, can next be seen in the first Twilight Zone episode from CBS All-Access, and then on the big screen in Sony’s Men in Black: International.

Unread 2019-04-17, 03:47 PM   #19
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel’s ‘The Eternals’ Adds ‘Train to Busan’ Actor Ma Dong-seok

Train to Busan‘s Ma Dong-seok will make his American acting debut in The Eternals. The future Marvel film is being helmed by Chloé Zhao, with Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani both likely to join the film in undisclosed roles. The Eternals is inspired by the comic characters created by Jack Kirby, and focuses on super-powered, god-like beings. More on The Eternals cast below.

Marvel is keeping a lot of their post-Avengers: Endgame and Spider-Man: Far From Home plans a secret, but one project we know about for sure is The Eternals. Chloé Zhao, director of the acclaimed indie film The Rider, is running the show, with Matthew Firpo and Ryan Firpo working on the script. Now, The Wrap reports South Korean actor Ma Dong-seok, who stole the show in the zombie film Train to Busan, is in talks to join the cast. There are no details on who the actor might be playing, though – which is par for the course at the moment.
Of the cast so far, the only role to be semi-confirmed is Angelina Jolie’s part – Sersi, one of the few Eternals who doesn’t mind living amongst us lowly mortals. Of all the Eternals, Sersi is reportedly the character the plot focuses on. Unconfirmed rumors claim the film will tell “the love story between Ikaris, a man fueled by cosmic energy, and Sersi, who relishes moving amongst humans.”
Kumail Nanjiani is also slated to be in the flick, but we still don’t know which character he might play. No matter what, though, The Eternals is shaping up to have an interesting, diverse cast.
The Eternals are described as “an evolutionary offshoot of humanity living on Earth who possess greater powers and longer lifespans than the mainstream human race.” Here’s a rundown on their origin, via ComicVine:
The Eternals first came into being about a million years ago when the First Host of Celestials arrived on Earth to perform genetic experiments on the nascent human race. To test the adaptability of the human gene, the Celestials accelerated the evolution of a handful of subjects and gave them the genetic potential to mentally manipulate limited quantities of cosmic energy, as well as other superhuman traits. Thus the Celestials created the race of Eternals, an evolutionary offshoot of humanity. The Celestials also performed similar experiments on subjects that led to the creation of the Deviants, another offshoot of humanity.
There’s no release dat set yet, but The Eternals is set to begin shooting this August.

Unread 2019-05-07, 02:35 PM   #20
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's THE ETERNALS Adds Former GAME OF THRONES Actor Richard Madden As Ikaris

Coming off his critically acclaimed turn in BBC's Bodyguard, former Game of Thrones actor Richard Madden is set to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Ikaris in The Eternals. More past the jump...

Marvel's The Eternals has found its Ikaris in the form of Richard Madden.

As first revealed by The Wrap, the former Game of Thrones alum is in negotiations to join Angelina Jolie and Kumail Nanjiani in the Marvel Studios cosmic adventure, which will be directed by The Rider's Chloe Zhao. Though this initial report didn't name the character he'll be playing, Variety has since chimed in and confirmed that he has indeed been cast as the virtually immortal Ikaris.

Madden is best known for his portrayal of the doomed Robb Stark during the first three seasons of Game of Thrones, but more recently he garnered high praise for his turn in BBC drama Bodyguard.

The Eternals hasn't been given an official release date just yet, but it is expected to commence production later this year.

Unread 2019-06-24, 06:13 PM   #21
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

The Eternals Working Title Reportedly Revealed

Development on Marvel Studios' The Eternals appears to be moving right along with the production reportedly receiving a working title of Sack Lunch, as reported by HN Entertainment. Often times, working titles have zero to do with the actual film itself and are a fun nod for the director or another crew member and most of the time they're in place so that studios can film exterior scenes with minimal interaction with fans. In an example, Black Widow has been filming in a slew of foreign countries over the past month using the working title Blue Bayou, as seen as various photos from the set.
This news does coincide with previous reports suggesting that the film will kick off later this year for a late-2020 bow. In fact, as the aforementioned report suggests, The Eternals could pick up filming immediately following Black Widow at Pinewood Studios' location in the United Kingdom.
Exact details on the movie have been closely guarded, in traditional Marvel fashion, though several trades have reported Chloe Zhao has been tapped as director and will direct a script from brothers Matthew and Ryan Firpo. Scoop website HN Entertainment also suggests that cinematographer Ben Davis (Captain Marvel), production designer Eve Stewart (The Girl In The Spider's Web), and costume designer Alexandra Byrne (Guardians of the Galaxy) will also have some capacity on the film as well.
While the film has yet to be announced by Marvel Studios — something that will likely come at San Diego Comic-Con — studio boss Kevin Feige spoke to the intrigue in developing a movie based on the Jack Kirby property last summer.
"Well, one of the cool things about that property and what Jack Kirby did with it and what's been done with it in recent years is it does tie into they're called Eternals, they've been around for a long time. You know?" Feige said. "There's this notion of all of these myths and legends that we know from ancient times, were they inspired by the Eternals? Kevin Feige: Were they Eternals? It's a very ... you know, it's an ancient aliens kind of sci-fi trope that we think would be fun to explore someday."

What storyline do you hope The Eternals follows? Do you think any characters will make a surprise appearance? Let us know your thoughts in the comments below or by tweeting me at @AdamBarnhardt to chat all things MCU!

Unread 2019-06-26, 07:52 PM   #22
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Marvel's THE ETERNALS Reportedly Adds FROM DUSK TILL DAWN Actress Salma Hayek

As the cast of Marvel's The Eternals continues to take shape, a new report indicates that the latest addition is Salma Hayek (Traffic, From Dusk till Dawn). No details on her role have been provided...

Marvel's The Eternals has added Salma Hayek to its already impressive cast.

According to The Wrap, the From Dusk till Dawn actress actress is in negotiations to join Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden and Kumail Nanjiani in the Marvel Studios cosmic adventure, which will be directed by The Rider's Chloe Zhao.

The character Hayek will play is being kept under wraps, but we'll update if the trades have anything to add to this report.

Hayek is arguably best known for her big-screen debut in Robert Rodriguez's From Dusk till Dawn, but she has also appeared in the likes of Savages, Traffic, and The Hitman's Bodyguard,

The Eternals hasn't been given an official release date just yet, but it is expected to commence production later this year.

Last edited by JDLM; 2019-06-26 at 08:02 PM..
Unread 2019-07-12, 04:54 PM   #23
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

‘The Eternals’ Casting Rumors Addressed by Millie Bobby Brown, Kumail Nanjiani, and Kevin Feige

We’re less than a week out from San Diego Comic-Con, and even though we know Marvel Studios will have their own panel at the convention, that’s not stopping rampant speculation about upcoming casting announcements that could be revealed.
One of Marvel’s upcoming films, although not officially announced, will be The Eternals. The movie focuses on more characters from the cosmic side of the Marvel Comics universe, and in recent months, there have been several reports of who is being brought in to star in the movie. Now some of those cast members, and Marvel Studios mastermind Kevin Feige himself, have chimed in about these reports and rumors. Find out what everyone is saying about The Eternals cast below.
Ever since Variety ran their piece trying to predict what will come of the Marvel Studios panel at Comic-Con, the rumor about Stranger Things star Millie Bobby Brown joining the cast has been making the rounds yet again. The actress has already claimed that she hasn’t heard anything about that, but the rumor resurfaced with such vigor recently that she felt the need to address it in a livestreamed video on Instagram. The actress said (via Comic Book Resources):
“Everybody thinks that I’m going to be in a Marvel movie. Not that I know of!. My family and I have no idea, so I just want to let everyone know that I’m not as of right now.”
So unless Marvel Studios is waiting until the last minute to strike up negotiations with her or Brown is really good at going out of her way to flat out lie to fans, this doesn’t seem likely.
Along with Millie Bobby Brown’s name, another actor being tossed around with ties to The Eternals is Rogue One: A Star Wars Story supporting actor and renowned action star Donnie Yen. Interestingly enough, Kevin Feige addressed both of those rumors without confirming or denying them in an interview with Comicbook.com:
“Both good actors that would be fun to see in the MCU. But nothing specific, or nothing to talk about.”
That’s pretty much the answer we’d expect when announcements about that movie’s cast are probably just around the corner at Comic-Con. However, when it comes to one of the reported names being involved in The Eternals, their casting seems to have been confirmed by a recent lifestyle change.
Kumail Nanjiani has been reported to have a role in the cosmic Marvel movie, but when he was recently interviewed by Variety for this weekend’s action comedy Stuber, he couldn’t confirm or deny either. Nanjiani said:
“I cannot comment on that. It would be so great to be part of a superhero film. I would love it so much.”
However, it just so happens that Nanjiani was recently profiled by Men’s Health, and he commented about how his lack of muscle and tone in his body is holding him back from expanding his career into more action-oriented, leading man opportunities. He said, “I realize what’s holding me back from those roles is how I look. So I’m changing that.”
Sounds like the perfect way to prepare for a leading role in an upcoming comic book movie. It’s exactly what Chris Pratt did before getting in front of the camera for Guardians of the Galaxy, and now he’s ripped as hell.
We’re guessing that we’ll find out all about The Eternals and whatever else Marvel Studios has up their sleeve when they take over Hall H on Saturday, July 20. Stay tuned for our coverage of all the announcements.

Unread 2019-07-22, 01:36 PM   #24
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS

Angelina Jolie (Thena)

Angelina Jolie is a Hollywood great, and while she may be part of Disney's Maleficent franchise, it was still hard to ever imagine her joining a superhero franchise. The power of Marvel Studios, eh?

As for Thena, she's Thanos' cousin and one of the Eternals of Olympia. She's a powerful warrior who has your standard enhanced abilities but is also near invulnerable and immortal. She can fly and cast illusions to disguise her appearance, while she carries a bow that fires arrows made up of "cold energy" which bombards enemies either with a ring of fire or anti-gravitons.

Richard Madden (Ikaris)

Richard Madden found fame after playing Robb Stark in Game of Thrones but became a hot commodity after starring in his series The Bodyguard. He also recently appeared in Rocketman.

Born over 20,000 years ago, Ikaris' powers are rooted in cosmic energy and he has psychic abilities and the ability to create illusions. He's often been portrayed as the team's leader and will probably be The Eternals' lead male character and someone key to the MCU moving forward.

Kumail Nanjiani (Kingo)

Kumail Nanjiani is a Pakistani-American actor who is perhaps best known for his stand-up work as well as The Big Sick and Silicon Valley. He also recently starred in Stuber with Dave Bautista.

In the comics, Kingo was from a Japanese settlement of Eternals and a Samurai in 16th Century Japan. In the present day, he used his skills to become a movie star, but it's clear from Nanjiani's casting that the character is going to undergo some relatively major changes in the MCU.

Salma Hayek (Ajak)

Salma Hayek has been acting for a long time now, but it definitely feels like The Eternals marks a comeback of sorts for the actress. In recent years, we've seen her in the likes of The Hitman's Bodyguard, Sausage Party, and Grown Ups 2, so joining the MCU definitely feels like a smart move for Hayek.

A man in the comic books, Ajak fought in the Trojan War in the 13th Century and has many ties to Central America where he was worshipped as a God. He has a number of superpowers and is a gifted fighter, and Hayek's version of the character is actually expected to be the team's leader.

Brian Tyree Henry (Phastos)

Brian Tyree Henry voiced Jefferson Davis in Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and was recently seen in Child's Play. Atlanta and This Is Us have put him on the map and he's signed up to appear in upcoming blockbusters like Godzilla Vs. Kong, A Quiet Place 2, and even DC Comics movie Joker.

Phastos is a weapon-smith and was mistaken for the Olympian god Hephaestus during the days of ancient Greece. Phastos is more reticent than the others, having a melancholy spirit and an ambivalence toward fighting, so we can probably expect him to be a character that it'll fun to spend time with.

Lauren Ridloff (Makkari)

Another character who has been gender swapped for the big screen, The Walking Dead's Lauren Ridloff will play Makkari in the movie and is now set to be the MCU's first deaf superhero.

The Olympian hero is a member of the Eternals Technologist's Guild and skilled at dreaming up various high-speed vehicles. He boasts your standard set of superpowers but will likely be used in a tech support capacity to get this group of weird and wonderful individuals around the cosmos!

Don Lee (Gilgamesh)

Don Lee came to many people's attention after his breakout role in Train to Busan and is actually one of the most popular actors in South Korea. This will be his biggest role to date, though.

Also known as "The Forgotten One, " Gilgamesh became an outcast from his fellow Eternals when his meddling in the human world became too much for them. As a result, he was banished to a sector of Olympus but later returned to their side. He's probably the most skilled hand-to-hand combatant in the entire group and uses an array of weapons, but might he be a villain in this movie?

Lia McHugh (Sprite)

Sprite is portrayed as a young boy in the comics, but Marvel Studios clearly wanted to add some diversity to this team, hence why Lia McHugh is playing her here. The actress has a handful of acting credits to her name but might be best known for American Woman.

Unable to age, Sprite is considered a trickster and uses his illusions to fool both his fellow Eternals and humans. In fact, he used his abilities to prank people for centuries and his actions actually ended up inspiring Shakespeare's character of the same name.

Unread 2019-07-22, 01:47 PM   #25
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

THE ETERNALS San Diego Comic-Con Poster Features A First Look At The Celestials

Following that Black Widow poster from earlier today, a new San Diego Comic-Con-exclusive poster for Chloé Zhao's The Eternals has also surfaced online, featuring a first look at the Celestials.

Marvel Studios delighted fans last night with a full cast reveal for The Eternals and it also looks like they treated Hall H attendees with an official concept art poster, which seems to feature a first look at four of the Celestials that will be introduced in the upcoming Chloë Zhao-directed superhero movie.

Last night's cast reveal introduced Academy Award-winner Angelina Jolie (Maleficent: Mistress of Evil) as Thena, Richard Madden (Game of Thrones) as Ikaris, Kumail Nanjiani (Silicon Valley) as Kingo, Lauren Ridloff (The Walking Dead) as Makkari, Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta) as Phastos, Salma Hayek (The Hitman's Bodyguard) as Ajak, Lia McHugh (American Women) as Sprite and Don Lee (Train to Busan) as Gilgamesh.

With filming expected to begin relatively soon, we should be hearing a lot more about The Eternals over the course of the next few weeks as Marvel Studios casts actors to play Sersi, James, the Deviants, and presumably, the Celestials as well.