Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2015-09-02, 08:28 AM   #1
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like
Default Ready Player One

Spielberg's READY PLAYER ONE 'Art3mis' Shortlist Revealed; Nick Robinson Eyed For 'Parzival'

Hot on the heels of that Star Wars: Episode VIII shortlist, the first shortlist for the female lead in Steven Spielberg's upcoming adaptation of Ready Player One has also been released. Plus, we also have a lead on who Spielberg likes for the main protagonist Wade Watts... check it out!

Steven Spielberg's next directorial venture, Ready Player One, has narrowed down the hunt for its coveted female lead.

The Wrap is reporting that the top three contenders for the lead female role of Art3mis, the OASIS avatar of Samantha Evelyn Cook, are Olivia Cooke (Bates Motel), Elle Fanning (We Bought A Zoo), and Lola Kirke (Gone Girl). All three young actresses, along with two other unnamed actresses, will test for the role with Spielberg shortly after he finishes his promotional duties for the Tom Hanks-starrer Bridge Of Spies and his work on Disney's The BFG.

Olivia Cooke, best known for her role on the drama Bates Motel, recently received much praise for her role as a young cancer patient in Me And Earl And The Dying Girl and is also a contender for the lead female role in Rian Johnson's Star Wars Episode VIII. Elle Fanning, best known for her roles in the Spielberg-produced Super 8 and We Bought A Zoo with Matt Damon (The Martian), was recently seen in Maleficent with Angelina Jolie (Kung Fu Panda 3) and will next be seen in the Nicolas Winding Refn-directed Neon Demon and Live By Night with Ben Affleck (Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice). Lola Kirke, best known for her role in Gone Girl, recently earned strong reviews for her performance in Mistress America and will next be seen in Doug Liman's Mena with Tom Cruise (Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation).

Additionally, Justin Kroll of Variety has revealed that Jurassic World star Nick Robinson (The Kings Of Summer) is an early favorite of Spielberg's for the role of Parzival, the OASIS avatar of Wade Owen Watts, the main protagonist in the Ernest Cline novel. Nothing is official yet and there are several other contenders, but considering Spielberg already worked with Robinson when he produced the fourth Jurassic Park installment, Robinson likely has a leg up on the competition at the moment.

What do you guys think? Who do you want to see as Art3mis and Parzival? What about as Aech, Daito, & Shoto? Sound off with your thoughts below!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-09-11, 04:43 PM   #2
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Steven Spielberg's READY PLAYER ONE Finds Its 'Art3mis' In Olivia Cooke

Steven Spielberg's upcoming film adaptation of the popular Ernest Cline novel Ready Player One has found its female lead in Me And Earl And The Dying Girl star Olivia Cooke. Come check it out! The sci-fi dystopian adventure film is slated for a December 2017 release.

Sounds like Steven Spielberg's next directorial venture Ready Player One is moving full steam ahead as the much anticipated film has just found its female lead in Olivia Cooke.

Earlier this afternoon, The Hollywood Reporter confirmed that Cooke had landed the coveted part of Art3mis, the OASIS avatar of Samantha Evelyn Cook, beating out both Elle Fanning (We Bought A Zoo) and Lola Kirke (Gone Girl). Cooke is now currently in the process of negotiating her contract.

THR adds that Spielberg was hoping to finalize the male lead simultaneously, but unfortunately hasn't been able to come to a decision just yet. It's still uncertain which direction he's leaning, but it should probably be noted that just ten days ago, Nick Robinson (Jurassic World) was rumored to be an early favorite.

Cooke is best known for her main role on the A&E drama Bates Motel and recently received much acclaim for her work in the indie drama Me And Earl And The Dying Girl. She will be seen next in another indie drama Katie Says Goodbye and is also a contender for the leading role in Rian Johnson's Star Wars: Episode VIII.

Unread 2016-01-06, 10:55 PM   #3
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

BLOODLINE Star Ben Mendelsohn In Talks To Play Villain In Steven Spielberg's READY PLAYER ONE

It's been a relatively slow news year so far, but here's something big to kick things off - A new report has revealed that Bloodline breakout Ben Mendelsohn is being eyed to play the lead villain in Steven Spielberg's upcoming adaptation of Ready Player One. Come check it out!

With his obligations for Bridge Of Spies & The BFG complete, Steven Spielberg is now actively casting his next directorial venture - Ready Player One.

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that Ben Mendelsohn (Bloodline) is currently in early talks to portray the lead villain in the highly anticipated film adaptation of the popular Ernest Cline sci-fi novel. THR doesn't specify the role he's up for, but it's almost definitely that of Nolan Sorrento, the evil head of Innovative Online Industries' Oology Division.

Mendelsohn has been offered the part, so if/when his deal closes, he'll join a cast that already features Olivia Cooke (Me And Earl And The Dying Girl), who is playing Samantha Evelyn Cook a.k.a. Art3mis. The film is still searching for an actor to play its main character Wade Owen Watts.

Mendelsohn is best known for his breakout role on Netflix's Bloodline and will be seen next in Lucasfilm's Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He also co-starred alongside Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) last year in the well-received Mississippi Grind, starred alongside Ryan Gosling (The Big Short) in The Place Beyond The Pines, and also had a small role in Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises as John Daggert.

Unread 2016-02-25, 09:23 AM   #4
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One Just Found Its Lead

Though it has taken its sweet time getting here, an adaptation of Ernest Cline’s geeky, pop culture drenched novel Ready Player One is finally rolling. Helmed by the one, the only, Steven Spielberg, it has been putting together a fantastic cast, minus one key piece: hero Wade Watts. That key part of the equation was missing, until now, and it appears that Spielberg and company have found an ideal fit for the lead.

With eye-catching roles in indie films like Mud, Joe, and The Stanford Prison Experiment, and the fact that he plays Scott Summers/Cyclops in the upcoming X-Men: Apocalypse, Tye Sheridan has had a meteoric rise as of late. And now Deadline reports that the 19-year-old actor has landed the lead role in Ready Player One and will play Wade Watts.

As you probably inferred if you’re not familiar with the novel, Wade Watts is the protagonist of Ready Player One. He’s a poor kid who lives in a literal stack of mobile homes in a dystopian near future. In this particular iteration of the what lies ahead for humanity, most of the population jacks in daily to a virtual reality world called Oasis, where they do everything from work and go to school to hang out with friends in digital basement crash pads to escape the crushing depression of their reality.

The creator of Oasis died without leaving any heirs, but he did assemble an elaborate, in-world puzzle, a kind of sprawling scavenger hunt, and whoever solves the pop culture infused riddle wins Oasis and instantly becomes the richest, most powerful person on the planet. Wade is one of the people hunting through the virtual realm for clues.

Tye Sheridan joins a cast that already includes fellow up-and-comer Olivia Cooke (Ouija, Me and Earl and the Dying Girl), who plays Ar3mis, Wade’s competitor, friend, ally, and love interest by turns. Ben Mendelsohn, who will show up later this year in Star Wars: Rogue One, has also been cast to play the villain, reportedly an executive for an internet company who is also on the case and vying for control of Oasis, for obvious reasons.

First published in 2011, Ernest Cline’s novel, which already had a movie deal in place before it hit bookshelves, became a huge cult hit. It will be super interesting to see what Ready Player One looks like when it finally hits the big screen. For one, most of the action is set in a virtual reality world where the characters control avatars, which sounds tricky to adapt. Secondly, damn near every sentence references some pop culture artifact that plays a key role, and as such, there are hundreds if not thousands of rights that will need to be cleared. That could be a pain in the ass to work around, not to mention expensive. Steven Spielberg has already said that they’re removing any references to his own work.

Unread 2016-06-02, 10:35 AM   #5
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

T.J. Miller has joined the cast. He’ll play i-R0k, a venomous forum user who trolls the players of the Oasis virtual world.

Unread 2017-05-17, 11:03 AM   #6
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

T.J. Miller’s ‘Ready Player One’ Character Is Basically Boba Fett

Steven Spielberg is a T.J. Miller fan, as he should be. Ever since Miller starred in one season of the short-lived DreamWorks show, Carpoolers, he’s been friendly with the legendary filmmaker, who wanted to cast him in Office Christmas Party. After that comedy, Spielberg decided to bring Miller into the OASIS for Ready Player One.
In the virtual reality-centric science fiction film, the Silicon Valley star will play a character inspired by a bounty hunter we all know. Below, get more details on the T.J. Miller Ready Player One character.

Miller spoke to Fandango about his character, named i-R0k, a minor character from Ernest Cline‘s book. Considering that he works for IOI and Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn), who want to solve James Halliday’s egg hunt and poison the OASIS (this will all make sense to non-readers at some point), it’s fair to call him a villain.
If i-Rok goes after Wade Watts/Parzival (Tye Sheridan) and Samantha Evelyn Cook/At3mis (Olivia Cooke) in the virtual reality world of the OASIS, he’ll do so as an avatar inspired by Boba Fett:
I’m not in the book. Some plot points are different, but I’m the only new character. I play i-R0k and basically I am a funny, or at least mildly amusing, Boba Fett. In the OASIS, I am a better player than Aech or Daito or any of those guys. I am sort of unequivocally the best bounty hunter, but I work freelance. While all the Sixers work for IOI and Sorrento, he has to commission me and I get an incredibly high fee to either find people and kill them or make them starve in the game.
In the desolate real world, Miller’s character idolizes Boba Fett. That’s who he wishes to be, and that’s how he tries to act as he works for IOI. Miller, who got to act in the OASIS via motion-capture, actually tried to imitate Boba Fett’s voice for Ready Player One:
I actually mimicked Boba Fett’s voice. And in the original Star Wars he only ever speaks four or five times in the movies, so I could only learn from ‘What about me? He’s no good to me dead.’ And then ‘As you wish.’ And I used the British actor’s voice instead of the f***ing Australian’s from the prequels – Lucas, you son of a bitch! – and so, I think it’s actually a really fun character.
It seems doubtful this will be the only connection to Star Wars that Ready Player One shares. While Spielberg cut most of the nods and winks to his movies, the “DeLorean and a couple of other things” are in the adventure film. We’ve already caught glimpses of some pop culture references from set photos.

Unread 2017-07-14, 01:04 PM   #7
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The First Look at the Ready Player One Movie Is a Treasure Trove of Easter Eggs

Image: Jaap Buitendijk/Warner Bros, via Entertainment Weekly
Seriously, you’re gonna wanna blow this picture up real big and take a good look—Ernest Cline’s love of sneaking all sorts of references to different brands and companies is already looking to be alive and well in Steven Spielberg’s Ready Player One adaptation.
Released through Entertainment Weekly this morning, the shot comes from early in the film, and sees Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) in his junkyard hideout hooked up into the video game VR world of the OASIS, escaping from the drudgery of living in a dinky, towered trailer with his aunt in the grim future of 2045.

While there’s some changes—most notably the fact Wade isn’t an overweight teen whose only exercise in the poverty-ridden “stacks” he lives in is using a bike to charge the batteries for his OASIS headset, perhaps hinting that at least some aspects of the novel’s wish-fulfillment in Wade’s journey might be trimmed from the film—what’s readily apparent is the fact that the world of pop culture references and brand allusions is alive and well in Spielberg’s version of the movie... even if most of the references to his own films that were in Cline’s novel won’t be.
You can see the picture in all its high-res glory here, and there’s so much in it, from tattered M&M’s wrappers and Carl’s Jr. bags, to Garbage Pail Kids stickers and a He-Man and the Masters of the Universe lunchbox. It’s a great first look at the film, even if it leaves a lot of questions unanswered, like just how Spielberg is going to bring the virtual world of the OASIS to life.

Unread 2017-07-23, 07:52 PM   #8
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvKmUma39hA

Spielberg's Ready Player One Trailer Will Have You Geeking Out

The trailer for Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One is here and it looks like a dystopian dream or nightmare, depending on how you look at it. Warner Bros. bought the movie rights to Ernest Cline's novel Ready Player One in 2010, before the book was published. And fans have wondered ever since when the bestselling novel would hit the big screen. Now it arrives under the direction of Steven Spielberg. The wait is finally over for first footage, as we have our hands on the trailer. And oh, what this footage contains. There are so many Easter eggs your head is going to explode. Freddy Krueger, The DeLorean, Iron Giant, Tron. The list is massive.
The near future is finally here and it looks, well kinda crummy. Apparently, the only way to escape is to plug into the OASIS and relive the 80s to forget about your current life. Parzival, aka Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) is seen wearing his VR visor and haptic gloves inside his hideout, which is an old van. There's apparently a lot of wealth in the world, but not for just anybody. The wealth is for a select few while the majority of the population have nothing and the only way to escape is to plug into the OASIS in an effort to try and beat the pop culture puzzles. If one beats the game they are awarded the OASIS and its parent company, which Wade and his treasure seeking online friends try and do to protect it from the giant IOI corporation.
The only way for Wade to protect the OASIS is by uncovering clues with his virtual friends and allies whom he's never met in the real world: Art3mis (Olivia Cooke), Aech (Lena Waithe), and I-R0k (T.J. Miller). While their greatest foe in this quest is Nolan Sorrento (Rogue One's Ben Mendelsohn), who is IOI's villainous chief of Oology. "Oology" is the study of eggs, easter eggs to be specific, aka secrets within the game. Wade and his team are competing against the rest of the world as well to uncover as many easter eggs as possible.
Mark Rylance, who plays James Donovan Halliday, the creator of the OASIS in Ready Player One recently told Vanity Fair that the movie will be "very faithful" to the book while also being its "own story." In other words, there's going to be quite a bit of changes to Ernest Cline's book, but that's to be expected when a book as expansive as Ready Player One is translated into a movie. T.J. Miller's character i-R0k will have more of a prominent role in the movie than he had in the book and Ben Mendelsohn has said that his character Nolan Sorrento will be quite different than the book.
Well, here it is. Our first look at Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One, straight from San Diego Comic-Con and it looks fantastic and chock full of the pop culture of the 1980s that you'd expect. The movie hits theaters on March 30th, 2018, but until then you can maybe go read the book for the first time or possibly even the third time. Make sure to check out the first trailer for Ready Player One below.

Unread 2017-07-23, 07:53 PM   #9
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Ready Player One Trailer: Iron Giant, Freddy Krueger & Every Easter Egg We Can Find

Warner Bros. has just unveiled the first trailer for Steven Spielberg's big screen adaptation of Ready Player One and it's a nostalgic geek fest full of pop culture easter eggs from the 1980s. The footage from the trailer reveals the stacks where Parzival lives in Columbus, Ohio in the year 2045 and then shows him get into his dilapidated van to plug in his VR rig to escape into the OASIS. A picture from within the Parzival's trailer was released earlier this week and there were a ton of easter eggs hidden within the picture, but the picture pales in comparison to the Ready Player One trailer.
The trailer comes to us via Warner Bros. U.K.'s YouTube channel and it demands repeated viewings to see what you might have missed. For starters, when Parzival first gets in his van and ready to suit into the OASIS, he pulls some kind of hologram apparatus from a hook on the wall. But it's no ordinary hook, it's actually an old Atari joystick with the orange buttons giving it away. Parzival narrates the trailer and says that he wishes that he were born in the 80s because that's where all of his heroes are from, which should give you an indication of what kind of pop culture easter eggs will be found.
Next up, people are dancing while floating in the air and then the trailer flashes to the Iron Giant walking across an alien landscape with what appears to be a tiny Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, specifically Leonardo by the look of two katana swords held on his back, or maybe it's Deadpool? The Iron Giant looks massive, but he, like the rest of the easter eggs is shown ever so briefly within the trailer. There's even a brief flash of the Statue of Liberty from Ghostbusters. One has to wonder how much the Ready Player One production had to pay to pull off all of the licensing.
The next easter egg that we see is the DeLorean DMC-12 from 1985's Back to the Future doing a burn out on some futuristic roundabout. Next there is an intense battle scene where somebody is riding a mechanical scorpion fires a blaster and obliterates Freddy Krueger. Yes, Freddy makes an appearance in Ready Player One too. Freddy is seen getting ready to use his glove mid leap, but is blown up instead as the camera pans to Duke Nukem. As Rush's classic anthem "Tom Sawyer" plays you see a bunch of corporate OASIS easter egg hunters strapping into various vehicles. Then you see 80s monster truck legend, Bigfoot crushing the cars and just being all around awesome. As far as vehicles are concerned, there's flashes of the Mystery Mobile from Scooby Doo along with Tom Cruise's stock car from Days of Thunder, A Tron Light Cycle, and Akira's motorcycle as well.
The trailer moves pretty fast and is plenty intense, almost teasing and taunting the viewer to search for every last pop culture reference that they can find. The trailer also does a real good job of getting you hyped to see the movie, which it should do, but there are just so many cool things to look at and find within the trailer. Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One doesn't hit theaters until March 30th, 2018, so check out the trailer below and see how many pop culture easter eggs you can find within the OASIS.

Unread 2017-07-23, 07:55 PM   #10
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2017-08-11, 03:40 PM   #11
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

‘Ready Player One’ Debuts First Look at Olivia Cooke as Art3mis

Warner Bros. Pictures brought quite the show to San Diego Comic-Con last month. Along with the expected pomp and circumstance for Justice League, the studio also debuted the first teaser trailer for Ready Player One, the adaptation of Ernest Cline’s popular, nostalgic sci-fi adventure novel that’s being directed by none other than Steven Spielberg. It blew the roof off, even if it didn’t entirely explain what the movie would be about for those who hadn’t ready the book.
The good news is Ready Player One doesn’t hit theaters until March of 2018, so there’s plenty of time for general audiences to find out what this story is about. Until then, a new Ready Player One photo has revealed a character who we didn’t see in the teaser trailer, but is an integral part of the story. Check it out below.
Empire released this Ready Player One photo, with the promise of more coming sometime soon:

Ready Player One is set in a dystopian future 2045 where the world is overpopulated and an entire generation called the “Missing Millions” has taken solace in a virtual reality world called the OASIS, created by a Steve Jobs kind of man named James Halliday (Mark Ryalance of Bridge of Spies) and his Gregarious Games company.
Unfortunately, James Halliday has died in our story. But he’s left behind a series of messages in the OASIS for an Easter egg hunt leading to the ultimate prize: ownership of Gregarious Games and controls of the OASIS. Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan, seen above on the left) wants that prize, but there’s also a corporation called IOI (Innovative Online Industries) on the hunt as well, led by Rogue One star Ben Mendelsohn as Nolan Sorrento, and they want to make OASIS available only to the super rich.
Since IOI has a whole team looking or these Easter eggs, Wade Watts needs a team of his own. One of those team members will be Art3mis, aka Samantha Evelyn Cook (played by Me and Earl and the Dying Girl star Olivia Cooke). She’s pictured above talking to Tye Sheridan as Wade Watts, who we met in the teaser trailer, and goes by the name Parzival in the OASIS. It looks like Art3mis’ OASIS VR rig is a little more sophisticated than Wade’s, and she appears to have her own squad on hand too.
In the book, Art3mis has her own blog called Arty’s Missives where she writes about her progress as a gunter (which is what those in search of Halliday’s egg are called). She’s described as intelligent, independent, funny, and bold, and it should come as no surprise that Wade has a crush on her, especially when he finally meets her in the real world.
Olivia Cooke described her experience of working on Ready Player One, “It felt like pure adventure. It was Willy Wonka, it was Indiana Jones. When you’re a kid wanting to be an actor, the idea of working with [Spielberg] sounds absurd. It was surreal.”
There has been a lot of criticism thrown at Ready Player One after that teaser trailer, but most of it appears to be aimed at the writing of Ernest Cline. Having ready only excerpts that people are using to tear down the novel, it does look like Cline isn’t the most gifted writer, relying too much on nostalgia to tell a story that otherwise is quite basic and perhaps not as appealing without the past as a crutch. But at the same time, I’m wholly interested in what a director like Steven Spielberg can do with the book. Perhaps he can improve upon the areas that readers were less than thrilled with.

Unread 2017-12-09, 10:54 PM   #12
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-12-09 at 10:57 PM..
Unread 2017-12-11, 12:24 AM   #13
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48

Unread 2018-01-26, 03:55 PM   #14
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

‘Ready Player One’ TV Spot: Welcome to the Rebellion

Are you ready for Steven Spielberg‘s return to science fiction? Not counting the alien subplot of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, this year’s Ready Player One will mark the first time The Beard will step back in sci-fi waters since 2005’s War of the Worlds. And as you can see in this newly-released TV spot for the movie, it seems like there’s a whole new war of the worlds brewing inside a virtual reality platform called the Oasis.
Check out the new Ready Player One TV spot below.

Ready Player One TV spot

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48

There’s a few snatches of new footage in here that we haven’t seen in the previous trailers or featurettes. The rousing speech we hear in voiceover comes from Wade Watts (X-Men: Apocalypse star Tye Sheridan), who goes by the virtual reality alias “Parzival.” He’s on a quest for an easter egg that will grant him ownership of the entire Oasis, hidden somewhere in the virtual world by its enigmatic creator James Halliday (Mark Rylance). But Wade’s not the only one on the hunt: as the rest of the virtual world tries to locate the egg, a greedy corporate villain (Ben Mendelsohn) organizes an army to track it down, and the two sides eventually clash in the expansive war sequences we see in this TV spot. And they’re all decked out in their customizable avatars, of course – many of which are ripped straight out of pop culture from the 1980s to today. (Is…is that Voltron making an appearance at the :11 second mark?)
In any case, this looks like the biggest movie Spielberg has made in ages, and it’s no wonder it’s taken him over a year to push this beast through post-production (during that time, he decided to bang out a whole other movie that happened to be pretty damn good). Here’s the synopsis:
The film is set in 2045, with the world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But the people have found salvation in the OASIS, an expansive virtual reality universe created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday dies, he leaves his immense fortune to the first person to find a digital Easter egg he has hidden somewhere in the OASIS, sparking a contest that grips the entire world. When an unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan) decides to join the contest, he is hurled into a breakneck, reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of mystery, discovery and danger.

Unread 2018-02-14, 09:43 AM   #15
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2018-02-15, 12:50 PM   #16
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy69DIpQjAM

Unread 2018-02-15, 01:38 PM   #17
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

I think this looks pretty good, if a little too PG.
Unread 2018-03-02, 04:31 PM   #18
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXqhROQ_9Gg

Unread 2018-03-05, 03:04 PM   #19
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic ‘Ready Player One’ Posters Pay Homage to Your Favorite Movies from the Past

The end of this month will see the release of the anticipated adaptation of Ready Player One. The novel from Ernest Cline is coming to the big screen courtesy of director Steven Spielberg, who seems like the only director who could pull off a pop culture mash-up of this scale – especially with all of its key references to some of the most iconic blockbusters ever made.
Now a new set of Ready Player One posters ups the ante when it comes to mashing up nostalgic movies from decades past. Each of the posters takes the film’s digital characters and places them on the poster of a beloved movie from the past. Back to the Future, The Breakfast Club, Beetlejuice, Blade Runner, The Goonies, Risky Business, and more posters were fully recreated with Ready Player One‘s game avatar characters from The OASIS.
Here are each of the posters with the real movie poster that inspired it (via Imgur and IMP Awards):

Sorry for the low quality of the images. Right now the homage posters have only been spotted in the wild on the side of walls and buildings. Instagram user Jeff Avery found them on Santa Monica Boulevard in Los Angeles:

There also appear to be digital versions of these posters at the Ready Player One experience that’s currently in Miami and will be heading to South by Southwest later this month. If more high resolution versions pop up, we’ll replace them.
Depending on whether the movie is good, it would be cool to have one of these posters to put side-by-side on a wall with one of the real posters. The best choice is probably Back to the Future, but to each their own. Hopefully some higher resolution versions of these posters will arrive so we can see more of the details. But either way, this is one of the coolest set of movie posters we’ve seen in a while.
It remains to be seen if these posters signify that all of these movies will be referenced in some form within the film or not. We’ve already seen how movies like Back to the Future and The Iron Giant factor in – is a Lost Boys shout-out imminent as well?
Here’s the official synopsis for Ready Player One:
The film is set in 2045, with the real world on the brink of chaos and collapse. But people have found salvation in the OASIS, an immersive virtual universe where you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone. The OASIS was created by the brilliant and eccentric James Halliday (Mark Rylance). When Halliday died, he left his immense fortune, and total control of the OASIS, to the first person to win three keys, unlocking the door to a digital Easter egg he hid somewhere in his seemingly infinite creation. His challenge launched a game that gripped the entire world, but after five years the scoreboard remained tauntingly empty…until now.
An unlikely young hero named Wade Watts (Tye Sheridan)—under his avatar name, Parzival—finally conquers the first contest, instantly becoming a celebrity…and a target. Ruthless corporate mogul Nolan Sorrento (Ben Mendelsohn) proves he will stop at nothing to beat Wade and take over the OASIS, and suddenly the virtual stakes are all-too-real. Ultimately realizing he cannot win alone, Wade joins forces with his friends—now the High Five (Sheridan, Olivia Cooke, Lena Waithe, Philip Zhao, Win Morisaki). Together, they are hurled into a reality-bending treasure hunt through a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS.

Last edited by JDLM; 2018-03-05 at 03:08 PM..
Unread 2018-03-06, 06:34 PM   #20
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuST-39Rc10

Unread 2018-03-15, 12:03 PM   #21
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HcoMNJUiM0

Unread 2018-03-23, 11:47 AM   #22
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

READY PLAYER ONE Director Steven Spielberg Battled The Crew Over References To His Own Movies In The Film

Ready Player One director Steven Spielberg helped define 80s geek culture with his filmmaking, but he attempted to nix any reference to his past films in the upcoming sci-fi movie. Read on to find out why!

Ready Player One is filled to the brim with nostalgic references. The movie is based on Ernest Cline’s 2011 novel of the same name and is heavy on ‘80s geek culture. And perhaps no one is more responsible for defining that decade than Steven Spielberg, who just so happens to be Ready Player One’s director.

Obviously this was a perfect match given Spielberg’s collection of films, which includes the likes of E.T.,The Goonies, Gremlins, Back to the Future, and many other decade-defining hits. Oddly enough, though, Spielberg wasn’t keen on the idea of referencing his own movies in the film. As EW reports, “the director didn’t want the new movie to become a series of shout-outs to his older ones.”

Spielberg did allow one exception: the time-traveling DeLorean from Back to the Future, which Spielberg executive-produced, is in the movie. Other than that though, any reference to Spielberg’s movies was likely snuck in by the crew - and most of them are subtle visual nods to movies he produced rather than directed.

Speaking to EW, the crew detailed specific references they tried to sneak into the movie, only for Spielberg to notice and nix. There was a shot of graffiti on one wall of the dystopian real-world set that included a grinning fiend from Gremlins, which Spielberg promptly removed. In another scene, there was a nod to the villainous bank-robbing brothers from The Goonies. “We had a sly Fratelli’s Diner, but we got caught,” production designer Adam Stockhausen said. “He nixed it.”

Despite the director’s attempts to squash any references to his movies during principal photography, he admitted that some still managed to sneak their way in via post-production, particularly in the CG-created virtual-reality world OASIS.

“I think a lot of the digital artists were trying to get some of their favorite ’80s cultural references in there, you know?” Spielberg said. “And having seen every shot 30 times as we go through all the different steps from pre-viz to animatic to final, I started noticing little things. They snuck a gremlin in.”

I said, ‘Well, I guess it’s too late to take that guy out.’ So he survived the cut,” he added.

Spielberg’s reluctance to include references to his own movies has more to do with giving other 80s films the spotlight, and the director was eager to showcase the work of others. “I didn’t corner the ’80s market,” he said. “There’s plenty to go around.”

Unread 2018-03-26, 03:37 PM   #23
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

How Ready Player One Got All Its Easter Eggs: Movie Rights Explained

Comic book movies tend to have lots and easter eggs and references, but none of them can compare to Ready Player One. Steven Spielberg’s latest sci-fi film, based on the 2011 novel of the same name by Ernest Cline, is being billed as the holy grail of pop culture – and rightfully so. The film is filled to the brim with characters, references, and easter eggs to countless movies, TV shows, and video games.
Of course, the production team needed to secure the licensing rights to each property – just one of many various forms of rights used in Hollywood – in order to get all those references into the movie, which couldn’t have been easy (or cheap). But when the movie has Spielberg at the helm and a lot of money backing him up, then doors start to open.

One thing that viewers will notice right off the bat is that most of the major easter eggs and references in Ready Player One come from Warner Bros. properties. And since the film itself is a Warners movie, it was easy to secure licensing rights to several films for the project. For instance, there are several characters from the DC Universe as well as J.R.R. Tolkien’s Middle-Earth stories in Ready Player One. In this case, Warner Bros. owns DC Entertainment and they control the Lord of the Rings film rights through New Line Cinema. That tends to be the case for most of their movies that are in Spielberg’s film.

However, securing licensing rights to non-WB properties is where it got tricky for the film’s producers. Ultraman plays an integral role in Ernest Cline’s book, but they couldn’t use the character since the rights are currently locked in a legal battle. So, rather than alter the story, the creative team opted to replace Ultraman with The Iron Giant instead – a character from Brad Bird’s 1999 movie of the same name that was produced and distributed by WB. It seems it all worked out in the end.

HOW SPIELBERG GOT THE RIGHTS TO NON-WB PROPERTIES

Getting the licensing rights to Warner Bros. Pictures’ properties shouldn’t have been too difficult, but getting the rights to non-WB movies, TV shows, and video games is an entirely different story. They couldn’t just add in whatever they wanted and hope for the best, that’s not how Hollywood works. Since Steven Spielberg was preoccupied with the movie itself, the burden of getting the rights to all the properties for the movie fell onto the Warner Bros. team, producer Kristie Macosko Krieger, and especially, special-projects supervisor Deidre Backs – all of whom approached Disney, Fox, Paramount, Universal, and various other studios for their character licensing rights. According to screenwriter Zak Penn, Backs’ efforts in clearing the rights to each character in the film was so astounding that it will be taught in film schools.

WHAT ISN’T IN THE MOVIE

Here’s the interesting thing: Ready Player One has numerous pop culture references going back decades, but what it doesn’t have are easter eggs and references to Steven Spielberg movies. That’s right, a Spielberg movie that contains references to countless other iconic properties doesn’t actually have references to any of the director’s own works – and that wasn’t an egregious oversight; it was by design. Spielberg didn’t want his filmography to overshadow all the other movies, TV shows, and video games.
Despite not wanting any Spielberg-movie shout outs in Ready Player One, the crew still tried to add in some not-so-subtle references to Gremlins and The Goonies – two movies Spielberg produced via Amblin Entertainment; he also wrote the story for Gremlins – but those easter eggs were nixed. Spielberg even confirmed that references to movies such as Close Encounters of the Third Kind aren’t in the film. What’s interesting, though, is that there’s a T-Rex in the movie (and in the trailers), but dinosaurs aren’t exclusive to Jurassic Park.

Unread 2018-03-28, 12:44 PM   #24
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The Ready Player One Reviews Are In, Here’s What The Critics Are Saying

In 2011, Ernest Cline delivered his novel Ready Player One to the masses, and it went on to earn numerous accolades, including becoming a New York Times bestseller. Seven years later, the cinematic adaptation helmed by Steven Spielbergis just about to hit theaters, allowing both fans of the novel and folks who'd never heard of it until now to experience the wonders of the OASIS on the big screen. As a pop culture smorgasbord, the Ready Player One movie clearly delivers and then some, just like the novel. But how is the movie itself being received by critics? Well, reviews are now plentiful online, and the overall consensus seems to be that Ready Player One is another solid entry in Spielberg's resume, if not necessarily ranking near the top of the list.

Starting off, CinemaBlend's own Conner Schwerdtfeger noted that where Ready Player One lacks in plot, it makes up for in technical achievement and finding an emotional core that wasn't present in the novel.

While not quite peak Spielberg, Ready Player One is a fun exploration of pop culture with a fantastic sense of spectacle that mostly makes up for some weak plotting.

EW's Chris Nashawaty was another fan of Ready Player One, saying that the movie was a great fit for Steven Spielberg, even if he doesn't quite stick the landing.

Steven Spielberg's sci-fi popcorn fantasia Ready Player Onefeels like a movie made by someone in his 20s rather than his 70s.

However, not all the reviews towards Ready Player One have leaned towards positive. Christy Lemire from RogerEbert.com noted that Ready Player One suffers from relying too much on fandom references, with the movie itself being unsubstantial.

The action is breathless and non-stop, both in the virtual reality and the reality reality, but wallowing in '80s nostalgia is only so much fun for so long.

Back to warmer reception, USA Today's Brian Truitt praised Ready Player One for its many visual achievements, though also noted that it's the "human" moments that serve as the movie's "soul."

Ready Player One's an entertaining nostalgia trip that wears its influences proudly but throws them at such dizzying force that sometimes you feel like you're buried under Chuck E. Cheese tokens.

Alonso Duralde from The Wrap, on the other hand, wasn't impressed with Ready Player One, saying that the story was boring and that Steve Spielberg might not have been the best choice to tackle the source material.

Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One might mark the beginning of a new era in filmmaking or the end of an old one, but either way it feels like a failed experiment in building a new story on the carcasses of old movies, TV shows and video games.

Finally, The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore stated that Ready Player Onebenefitted from making select changes to the source material, resulting in a better product than the original novel.

A rollicking adventure through worlds both bleak and fantastic, Steven Spielberg's Ready Player One makes big changes to the specifics and structure of Ernest Cline's best-selling novel but keeps the spirit and level-up thrills intact.

These are just a few of the many Ready Player One reviews published online, so feel free to scour the interwebs and ready what other people have to say about the movie.You can also judge Ready Player One for yourself starting tomorrow, March 29. For those of you interesting in planning your trips to the theater for the rest of the year, you can check out our 2018 release schedule.

Unread 2018-03-28, 02:38 PM   #25
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

'Ready Player One' Is Certified Fresh On Rotten Tomatoes

With over 120 reviews submitted to review aggregator site Rotten Tomatoes, the outlet has awarded Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Ready Player One its "Certified Fresh" distinction. The film currently sits at having 83% positive reviews.

According to the site, "Ready Player One is a sweetly nostalgic thrill ride that neatly encapsulates Spielberg's strengths while adding another solidly engrossing adventure to his filmography."

Based on the novel by Ernest Kline, "In the year 2045, people can escape their harsh reality in the OASIS, an immersive virtual world where you can go anywhere, do anything, be anyone-the only limits are your own imagination. OASIS creator James Halliday left his immense fortune and control of the Oasis to the winner of a contest designed to find a worthy heir. When unlikely hero Wade Watts conquers the first challenge of the reality-bending treasure hunt, he and his friends-known as the High Five-are hurled into a fantastical universe of discovery and danger to save the OASIS and their world."

Excitement for the film spread across the internet when the film debuted earlier this month at the South by Southwest Film Festival, yet the film's premiere wasn't without its hiccups. The film's world premiere, with Spielberg in attendance, suffered multiple technical mishaps, forcing the film to be stopped in hopes of correcting the issue. Once the errors were corrected, the majority of reactions on social media were positive, despite the setbacks.

While the film may have had a rough start, A.A. Dowd at The AV Club shared, "At its best, Ready Player One unfolds like unstructured free time for Hollywood's biggest kid, unleashed in a playground he helped construct, one Amblin entertainment at a time."

Spielberg has regularly demonstrated his mastery of incredibly compelling dramatic stories, as evidenced by films like Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, and Munich, but early reviews of the film are praising the director for going back to his roots in action and adventure.

Eric Kohn at IndieWire claimed the film "becomes the very thing its characters admire, a preponderance of commercial entertainment smashed together into a singularity of blockbuster chaos."