Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2014-07-24, 07:48 PM   #26
88STANGGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 191
Likes (Received): 548
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachO_SRT View Post
Arduino - IMO - much better for learning.

the Pi's are great, but not exactly user friendly. Arduino I thought was easier to master, and had more building blocks available.

I use them both - I've got an Aircrack-ng/Airodump.ng set-up on a Pi now that's a beast at cracking WPA2 networks. (with a 22gig pyrit DB behind it)
do you use rainbow tables or how the hell long does a brute force take to go through 22gigs? or is pyrit not just a word list?
Unread 2015-09-08, 12:22 PM   #27
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Raspberry Pi gets an official touchscreen display

Although it's pretty easy to hook up a Raspberry Pi to a screen using its HDMI port, it's not exactly the most portable of solutions (especially if there isn't a TV or monitor around). The Raspberry Pi Foundation recognized this, so it set about finding a "simple, embeddable display" capable of giving Pi owners a screen from which to work from, but that also embodies the DIY spirit of the board that it connects to. It's taken almost a year, but the official Raspberry Pi touch display has gone on sale today, offering tinkerers a 7-inch capacitive 800 x 480 touchscreen display that supports 10-finger touch.
As you'd expect, connecting the display to the Pi requires a steady hand and a little patience -- it's not as easy as plugging in two ends of an HDMI cable (but that's all part of the charm, right?). You can choose to power it via the Pi's GPIO port or by plugging a microUSB power supply into the display board, while a ribbon cable connects to the Pi's DSI port. The Raspberry Pi Foundation has ensured that both the display board and the Pi itself can be mounted on the back of the display (as shown in the image above), making it a lot easier to connect the various cables and also to store.

As it turns out, the Raspberry Pi isn't the only maker board getting an official display. DIY computer kit Kano, a project that has been embraced by schools, has opened pre-orders for a 10.1-inch HD (150 PPI) LCD screen that also requires you to build it yourself. The case's design also allows you to store the Kano's keyboard and a third-party battery inside, making it truly portable.
The official Raspberry Pi display is available to buy at all the usual Raspberry Pi stockists starting from $60 (£4. There's also six different colored frames to choose from, but you'll pay a little extra for the privilege. If you're new to the Kano, the kit and the display bundle will cost $250 (£200) or $110 (£90) for the screen on its own.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqdz66Y-H7M

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-12-27, 04:59 PM   #28
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Malware peddlers offered Raspberry Pi money to infect your micro-PC

You know you've "made it" when you attract attention from malware distributors.

The Raspberry Pi—the popular mini-PC that's about the size of credit card—is attracting attention from malware distributors. But not in the sense that you might think.
Last Wednesday, the Raspberry Pi Foundation tweeted a screenshot of an email in which a company effectively asked to install malware onto users Raspberry Pis.
In the email, the company, whose name was redacted, offered the Foundation money in order to distribute an exe file on Raspberry Pi machines (never mind the fact that the Raspberry Pi doesn't run Windows). Installing the exe would place a shortcut icon on the desktop; if you open it, you'd be taken to the company's website. "Then this is our target," the email reads in part.
Needless to say, the Raspberry Pi Foundation didn't take too kindly to the idea.

Quote:

Raspberry Pi ‏@Raspberry_Pi

Amazing. This person seems to be very sincerely offering us money to install malware on your machines.

The story behind the story: It's hard to say exactly what the company in question planned to peddle, but it does seem like some sort of adware distribution scheme. Bundling adware with apps isn't uncommon in the PC industry—all you have to do is look at all the apps for Windows that drop in advertising, browser toolbars, browser extensions, or other unwanted extras when you install them. It's a widespread problem, and it's part of the reason why Google no longer allows users to install Chrome extensions that aren't in the Chrome Web Store.

Unread 2017-02-28, 09:49 PM   #29
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Raspberry Pi Zero W brings Wi-Fi, Bluetooth to tiny, cheap PC

This tiny computer helps your programming project make connections and costs next to nothing.

Raspberry Pi's latest brings connectivity to its super-cheap computer.
The Raspberry Pi Zero W expands on the Raspberry Pi Zero, a computer in its very simplest form. The original Zero cost just $5 (£4 or about AU$6.50) and had all the basics you'd need to build your own arcade cabinet, drone or smart home device. The $10 (£9.60 or about AU$13) Zero W adds Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, specifically 802.11n wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.0.
You could have added those items on your own to the single circuit board of the original Zero. But as the Raspberry Pi Foundation notes in its Zero W announcement, doing so might have cost a couple times as much as the board itself.
So what can you do with Zero W? Well, for programmers, the possibilities are extensive. Here's a list of fun things to do with the original Raspberry Pi. And here's a closer look at the performance and hardware specs of the new Zero W from CNET sister site Tech Republic.

If you're looking to start a project yourself, Zero W is available starting Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Idiot Stick liked this post
Unread 2017-03-01, 11:27 AM   #30
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 102
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 421
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 11

I picked up on something Pi related the other day. They have their own GUI disto now that they're calling Pixel:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/introducing-pixel/

The cool thing is they also ported it to x86 too:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/pixel-pc-mac/

Smart move to help with adoption. I put it on my multiboot USB to play around with it. Might actually start working towards integration with the touch screen in my car again.
Unread 2017-03-04, 09:19 PM   #31
Hummer

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 118
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 1

I purchased a Pi 3 and the 7" touchscreen recently. I attached a webcam and installed Octoprint with Touch UI for a 3D printer. I can view and control the printer remotely with the Pi which is a good idea with long prints.
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-05, 12:06 AM   #32
Idiot Stick

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 43
Likes (Given): 588
Likes (Received): 344
Dislikes (Given): 15
Dislikes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hummer View Post
I purchased a Pi 3 and the 7" touchscreen recently. I attached a webcam and installed Octoprint with Touch UI for a 3D printer. I can view and control the printer remotely with the Pi which is a good idea with long prints.
i'll never buy a 3d printer - but if someone gave one to me - i'd be making dumb shit all time.
Unread 2017-05-04, 12:58 PM   #33
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Google turns Raspberry Pi into a dirt cheap Home competitor

But you can only get the kit with the latest issue of MagPi magazine.

Raspberry Pi

If you've ever wanted to have a conversation with your own tiny home-made computer, then your prayers have just been answered. Raspberry Pi has teamed up with Google, bringing voice integration to the Pi with a clever combination of hardware and software. Packed with the same tech that powers Google Home, the companies have released a kit that transforms a regular Raspberry Pi 3 into your very own virtual assistant. The pack contains a Voice HAT (Hardware Accessory on Top) board with a speaker and a microphone, giving Pi owners everything they need to add-in voice integration. (For the uninitiated, a HAT refers to any physical hardware that needs to be added on top of a Pi.)

Interestingly, this collaboration marks the first time that Google has produced something for hobbyists. The initiative is called "Artificial Intelligence Yourself'" (AIY), and Google's director on the project, Billy Rutledge, told Wired that he wants to create more hobbyist uses for Google software.
For those who want to build a new friend, the only way to get the board is to buy the latest issue of the company's official magazine The MagPi, where it comes as a freebie. As well as being used to lovingly make your own Alexa alternative, Raspberry Pi state that the tech can also be programmed with your own spoken commands, adding voice integration to other Pi projects.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WtSdWSv7uo

With over 10 million Raspberry Pi's sold, it's easy to see why Google chose to partner with the company. The DIY computer manufacturer's latest release, Raspberry Pi Zero W, impressed us, offering built-in Wi-FI, Bluetooth and a ton of programming possibilities for only $10. With products like that making coding and innovation more accessible than ever, it's clear that Google wants to infiltrate the hobbyist movement before it becomes even bigger.

Unread 2018-03-14, 11:25 AM   #34
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Faster Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ Launches

The updated board adds a faster processor, Wi-Fi, and Ethernet while retaining the $35 price point.
  • When the first Raspberry Pi single-board computer arrived in early 2012, it triggered a revolution in how small and cheap computers could be. Since then we've had many challengers to the Raspberry Pi, and it's fair to say on performance the Pi is falling behind. However, the little board that started it all just got another update, and it is all about speed.
    The Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ launched today and improves upon the existing Pi 3 Model B$35.87 at Amazon in a number of ways. Most notably, the processor is an updated 64-bit Broadcom Cortex-A53 chip running at 1.4GHz. It's not only faster, but also includes a heat spreader and power integrity optimizations allowing it to better control temperature while enjoying more performance.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i62xdD4QKtA

Wireless connectivity is also greatly improved thanks to the inclusion of a Cypress CYW43455 "combo" chip and a Proant PCB antenna, which is very similar to the one used on the Pi Zero W$26.00 at Amazon. Together, it allows the B+ to provide improved 2.4GHz band performance, but also "far better performance" when using the 5GHz band. Where as the B could achieve 35.6Mb/s over 2.4GHz, the B+ increases that to 46.3Mb/s, but is also capable of hitting 102Mb/s using 5GHz.
    If you prefer wired to wireless, there's more good news. The B+ uses an upgraded LAN chip from Microchip which includes support for Gigabit Ethernet. The bandwidth available is still limited by the use of USB 2.0, but there's a huge performance gain nonetheless. The B achieves throughput of 95.5Mb/s, but the B+ pushes that up to 315Mb/s. Add to that support for Power over Ethernet with the addition of a HAT, and for connectivity alone this board is worth the upgrade.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tncUe8QYLoQ

The B+ does use more power than previous boards, but thanks to the improved power integrity of the Broadcom chip, it won't get throttled very often. The chip runs at 1.4GHz, which throttles down to 1.2GHz only once temperatures exceed 70 degrees Celsius. Further throttling happens beyond 80 degrees, but it's very unlikely you'll ever reach such high temperatures.

As you'd expect, the new board remains compatible with all the existing Pi 3 Model B accessories and retains the $35 price point. There are no plans to discount older models or cease production until there's a clear sign demand is drying up. However, it's pretty clear the Pi 3 Model B+ will become the most popular choice very quickly.
    The B+ is already available to buy, with online retailers worldwide starting to receive stock. So no matter where you live, chances are you'll be able to get one pretty quickly such is the maturity of the supply chain today.

Unread 2018-03-14, 11:33 AM   #35
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 948
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Damn, the RPi 3 is fast as fuck as it is for what it is.

Hope it gets 802.11AC

EDIT: It does have 802.11AC

The Pi 3 Model B+ technical specifications are shown below :

Broadcom BCM2837B0 chipset
1.4GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53, 4 cores
64 bit CPU
1GB RAM
4 USB 2.0 ports (via LAN7515)
Gigabit Ethernet (via LAN7515, max speed 300Mbps)
PoE (power over Ethernet)
40 pin header (26 GPIOs)
MicroUSB power connector
Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11ac Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE)
HDMI
CSI camera interface
DSI connector for official screen
3.5mm jack connector supporting stereo audio and composite video
2-pin reset header
Micro SD socket
The most notable differences between the Pi 3B+ and the Pi 3B are

Increased clock speed to 1.4GHz
Power over Ethernet support via new header
Gigabit Ethernet although max speed is 300Mbps
Increased WiFi performance in two bands
Improved PXE network and USB mass-storage booting
Improved thermal and power management (via MaxLinear MxL7704)
Heat spreader (the shiny square of metal on CPU)
Better FCC compliance due to metal shield (with Pi logo)

Last edited by ReidStylez; 2018-03-14 at 12:19 PM..
ReidStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-14, 09:48 PM   #36
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 817
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 90

Last time I tried doing a Retropi I had lots of issues with N64 roms. But this was before the rpi2 even IIRC.

Would the latest one run N64 games no problem? I still have my N64 and all the games I want for it but it's a bitch hooking up analog to modern TVs and such lol.
Unread 2018-03-16, 09:40 AM   #37
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 45
Likes (Received): 948
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
Last time I tried doing a Retropi I had lots of issues with N64 roms. But this was before the rpi2 even IIRC.

Would the latest one run N64 games no problem? I still have my N64 and all the games I want for it but it's a bitch hooking up analog to modern TVs and such lol.
Yes
Unread 2018-03-16, 12:49 PM   #38
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 456
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:

some games run great some run like shit ( waverunner64)

I run RecallBox on mine instead of retropie, and runs great...you can grab the pre setup img at arcadepunks site
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-03-18, 12:23 PM   #39
inis

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 331
Dislikes (Given): 17
Dislikes (Received): 32

I'm running openhab 2 with a touch screen for home automation on one. So far rock solid after about 6 months. Going to trim it out and recess it into the wall here shortly.
Unread 2018-03-18, 03:53 PM   #40
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 174
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 817
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by inis View Post
I'm running openhab 2 with a touch screen for home automation on one. So far rock solid after about 6 months. Going to trim it out and recess it into the wall here shortly.
How does that work? Does it integrates with SmartThings, Hue, etc? And you can control everything like that?

That'd be pretty fucking cool. I really want a centralized "hub" to control my house instead of relying on phones. I hate it when guests come over and effectively turn off my smart lights by using switches.
Unread 2018-03-20, 09:32 AM   #41
inis

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 71
Thanks (Received): 58
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 331
Dislikes (Given): 17
Dislikes (Received): 32

Quote:
How does that work? Does it integrates with SmartThings, Hue, etc? And you can control everything like that?

That'd be pretty fucking cool. I really want a centralized "hub" to control my house instead of relying on phones. I hate it when guests come over and effectively turn off my smart lights by using switches.
Yep works similar to smarthings and you can integrate hue. So far I have zwave, astrology (which is stuff like sunrise, sunset, time, season, etc to help with automatic timers), denon and roku add-on's. There is pretty much a add-on for everything including tesla, alexa...etc

You can create a dashboard and use the raspi touch screen to control items. I have mine set in the front room with lights around the house and a couple cameras on the dashboard. When not in use it goes to family photos rotation and when you touch it the dashboard comes back to full screen.

If you use a android tablet you can use the camera to wake up the screen when it detects motion in front of the tablets. I would have went that way however the power plugs being on the sides I didn't like. I wanted to mount it seamlessly in the wall.

You can also setup other raspi's and start building dashboards for each room its located in. Nice thing is you can do this remotely and test remotely. Then when you get home just hit the refresh browser button on that raspi and its good to go too.
Unread 2019-08-30, 04:07 PM   #42
beersykins

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

How 'bout them Pi4's though? :P

Microcenter finally has some of the 4GB ones in stock, ermagherd.
beersykins is offline   Reply With Quote