Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-06-28, 08:58 PM   #1
Diamond Star

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 55
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 10000
Likes (Received): 809
Dislikes (Given): 25
Dislikes (Received): 9
Default Home surveillance questions

I'm starting the long process of deciding what to do with home monitoring/surveillance for the business.

I have several, 5 or 6 areas where I would like cameras. I would like to be able to view the cameras remotely if possible through my phone/online, and have it displayed on a tv in my home as well. The cameras would span across 3/4 buildings covering the home, workshop, and barn.

Do companies like ADT or other home security systems offer this?
If anyone has wired something up like this themselves, I'm open to hearing how difficult it was.
Diamond Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-28, 09:21 PM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

There are systems that are avail at Microcenter that I have seen suggested a few places, then there's always NEST (and their cameras) and plans etc..

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-28, 10:51 PM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Go with a Lorex wired system

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-28, 10:59 PM   #4
Diamond Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do wireless systems not work as well? Also must bite there is no internet where I live, so if they run of wifi I can't use them.

With a wired system, and the buildings being hundreds of feet apart, that could get interesting.

I'm assuming you have used Lorex before?
Unread 2017-06-28, 11:02 PM   #5
Mike V

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 412
Likes (Received): 401
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

I went through this a little over a year ago.

ADT and similar companies do have cameras but they aren't very good. They'll tell you themselves that the range isn't too great on them and the picture quality isn't too good either. Their monitoring fees are outrageous too. I decided I didn't need that and would just periodically check the cameras to make sure no fishy activity was happening overnight.

I ended up with a system by Reolink. It is a wireless system using WiFi but you do have to have a power outlet for each camera. They are still a young company out of China and going through some growing pains but their 4-camera system was easy to set up and has been mostly reliable. The interface to view recordings from the past is a bit archaic but it works. You can view the cameras through your phone, computer, etc and can even review back from the phone (and/or save clips). Their customer service has been great. I've only emailed so response time hasn't been the best but they always answer within 15 hrs or so. Usually if I send a question before going to bed, I'll have an answer by mid morning the next day.

Reolink unfortunately only has a max of 4 cameras. I haven't tried adding a 2nd set of 4 cameras but have thought about it. I did order a couple of their new Argus cams that are completely wireless (battery powered and WiFi). I haven't received those yet but hopefully they'll play well with the other 4 cams.

This is the system I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews were considerably better a year ago so not sure what's going on there. I haven't taken the time to read what people are complaining about lately. My only gripe is sometimes the picture takes too long to load on the phone but I'm probably just being picky. Before, the few bad reviews were people complaining about the complicated setup but I didn't feel it was difficult at all. You plug everything in and the NVR recognizes the cameras pretty quickly. The hardest part is drilling holes through your house if you mount any outside. I have two outside and two inside.

Keep in mind this was all a year ago and I haven't paid much attention to the market since then, so things may have changed.

Edit: just saw your "hundreds of feet apart" comment, and this might not work for you. Oh well, I'll keep the post up in case someone finds this thread later.
Mike V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-28, 11:04 PM   #6
Diamond Star

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-s...V1511W-2PK-1-p

For example with these. I see it comes with 60 foot cables, am I limited to having a recording device or tv within 60 feet of this thing?

After searching around a bit this evening, it may be smarter to get someone who does this for a living to give me a quote. I'm leaning towards a wired system in 3 buildings, each on their own recording device.

Last edited by Diamond Star; 2017-06-28 at 11:09 PM..
Unread 2017-06-29, 07:35 AM   #7
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 82
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

I assume this is for the new place with the horses and whatnot? Just to throw it out there, is your main breaker box located outside? If so you may consider a UPS for whatever system you choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Star View Post
I'm leaning towards a wired system in 3 buildings, each on their own recording device.
This the direction I've been thinking for some of our buildings too but I've always been concerned about device life when it is subject to the extreme heat/cold temps.

Last edited by 77Nova; 2017-06-29 at 07:39 AM..
77Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-29, 08:13 AM   #8
waphill

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 15
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 3

A good friend of mine does this. He owns Americas Security Group in Olathe. Great guy. His number is 855-599-4335.

https://www.americassecuritygroup.com/
waphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-29, 08:51 AM   #9
Diamond Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Nova View Post
I assume this is for the new place with the horses and whatnot? Just to throw it out there, is your main breaker box located outside? If so you may consider a UPS for whatever system you choose.

This the direction I've been thinking for some of our buildings too but I've always been concerned about device life when it is subject to the extreme heat/cold temps.

I have panels in all 3 buildings.
Unread 2017-06-29, 08:58 AM   #10
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

Your not limited to 60 foot, you can get a 1,000 foot box of cable, but you will need repeters or power boosters every 100 foot or so if you are using cat6 wiring. I wired the house we are building right now, its not hard to run the lines. If you want to view it on your phone you would need to have a internet hard line in each building or your not going to be able to view it off the property. If you setup a wifi router then you can view it while you are connected to the router but your limited to the range of the router.
Unread 2017-06-29, 09:13 AM   #11
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 82
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond Star View Post
I have panels in all 3 buildings.
Makes sense, but they are probably all fed by a main panel located elsewhere on the property. In the Midwest it is common to have that main panel located outside on the pole where the power comes in. Flip the main breaker and you kill power to the house and barns. I know thieves aren't exactly the smartest people, but that's the first thing I would do if I was going to break into a country residence. That's why I was bring up the UPS. Just food for thought is all.
77Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-29, 10:40 AM   #12
tweiss3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Received): 1

I'd find a system with POE 4MP cameras. I've installed a few and my friends are blown away when I show them what they can pick up.

Any hardwired system you are limited to 300+/- feet (100 meters) without a repeater, or node.

What commercial systems are putting a switch in each building. If building to building will be over 300', they use fiber from switch to switch, and then run all the cameras on the building through the switch back to the central NVR.
Unread 2017-06-29, 10:29 PM   #13
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21

Stupid ass photo bucket

Last edited by MymonteSS; 2017-08-29 at 10:20 PM..
MymonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-30, 12:05 PM   #14
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 824
Likes (Received): 289
Dislikes (Given): 24

I work in security and I work on cameras, access and networking all day. DO NOT USE LOREX. For that matter stay away as far as you can from those cheap systems at microcenter. I've used them before and they break after the warranty expires.

Hikvision makes great quality equipment. I have 14 cameras at my house and love having them. They are actually one of the worlds largest equipment manufacturers. They make equipment for many brands. The other brands may be cheaper but their firmware is junk. Hikvision writes their own firmware and doesn't write it for other companies at all.

I would do a hardwired system with ip cameras. That way you can run cat5, 5e or 6 between your buildings and expand your system as much as you want without home running all your wires. They have 1080p, 4K and even 8k cameras. You don't need to run everything at 30 frames per second, 15fps is perfect as fluid motion is between 10-12 for IP. 2mb transfer rate, when you plug everything in it will all be at max settings out of the box which does work. It it's not ideal. I only mention this as I work on this stuff and I know all the in's and out's of the equipment. I've also been to hikvision basic and advanced training.

If you want quality, wired IP hikvision is the best way to go without spending a lot like you would with Samsung or Panasonic. There are a lot of manufacturers out there and some are good and a lot are junk. I only like hikvision a lot because they have a great warranty, great customer service and it just works. I've been doing this for 12 years and so far I haven't found a better quality piece of equipment for the price.

Also when you get a camera with infrared, don't get cameras with a lot of small infrared a around the lense, get what's called matrix IR. It's 1 Infared with angled mirrors so your night vision is more quality than the older style infared system that surrounds the lense. It actually makes your night images usable.

Last edited by LTe; 2017-06-30 at 12:15 PM..
LTe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-30, 01:44 PM   #15
beaterKU

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 95
Dislikes (Given): 1

Where do you buy your Hikvision from? I have 2 of their cameras right now that I bought on Amazon, but since Amazon is not an authorized re seller, there is no warranty on the cameras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post
I work in security and I work on cameras, access and networking all day. DO NOT USE LOREX. For that matter stay away as far as you can from those cheap systems at microcenter. I've used them before and they break after the warranty expires.

Hikvision makes great quality equipment. I have 14 cameras at my house and love having them. They are actually one of the worlds largest equipment manufacturers. They make equipment for many brands. The other brands may be cheaper but their firmware is junk. Hikvision writes their own firmware and doesn't write it for other companies at all.

I would do a hardwired system with ip cameras. That way you can run cat5, 5e or 6 between your buildings and expand your system as much as you want without home running all your wires. They have 1080p, 4K and even 8k cameras. You don't need to run everything at 30 frames per second, 15fps is perfect as fluid motion is between 10-12 for IP. 2mb transfer rate, when you plug everything in it will all be at max settings out of the box which does work. It it's not ideal. I only mention this as I work on this stuff and I know all the in's and out's of the equipment. I've also been to hikvision basic and advanced training.

If you want quality, wired IP hikvision is the best way to go without spending a lot like you would with Samsung or Panasonic. There are a lot of manufacturers out there and some are good and a lot are junk. I only like hikvision a lot because they have a great warranty, great customer service and it just works. I've been doing this for 12 years and so far I haven't found a better quality piece of equipment for the price.

Also when you get a camera with infrared, don't get cameras with a lot of small infrared a around the lense, get what's called matrix IR. It's 1 Infared with angled mirrors so your night vision is more quality than the older style infared system that surrounds the lense. It actually makes your night images usable.
beaterKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-30, 03:01 PM   #16
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post

This makes me feel good that I got a Hikvision system! I got some of my cameras from eBay, and some from https://www.surveillance-video.com

Probably going to go in and change some of my settings for that guy's recommendation.
Unread 2017-08-21, 09:34 AM   #17
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Need to start planning on my new house something like this. I could use some help. I will probably only want 3 cameras, one will not be able to be hard wired. What suggestions can you all offer?

I have heard ARLO makes some decent systems for cheap. I am open to all ideas here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-28, 10:33 PM   #18
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 824
Likes (Received): 289
Dislikes (Given): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobbes View Post
Need to start planning on my new house something like this. I could use some help. I will probably only want 3 cameras, one will not be able to be hard wired. What suggestions can you all offer?

I have heard ARLO makes some decent systems for cheap. I am open to all ideas here.
Arlo is ok, I'm not a huge fan but if your going cheap then they work. They just don't have the long lasting qualities that hikvision, panasonic, avigilon or exacqvision have. I know a few people who use arlo and it seems alright. You just have to pay attention to how far they advertise the infrared night vision and how wide of an angle your image is. Some of those cheaper cameras only have a 4mm lens which isn't very wide of an image. A 2.8mm lens gives around 105 degrees of view, a 4mm might only give about 70 degrees of view. I think an arlo cam is great inside a home or for a very small house.
Unread 2017-08-29, 10:15 PM   #19
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like

My hikvision set up

P.s. Stupid ass photobucket
Unread 2017-08-30, 08:39 AM   #20
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 930
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

I have Amcrest HD cameras and love them. They work over WIFI, Ethernet, and even POE.
Unread 2017-10-22, 10:48 AM   #21
explorecaves

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 167
Likes (Received): 112
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 5

Take a look at offerings from Nellys security. Hard to beat their prices.
https://www.nellyssecurity.com
explorecaves is offline   Reply With Quote