Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2014-01-08, 09:00 PM   #1
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 120
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2613
Likes (Received): 593
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33
Default Preparing for a face to face interview

What does everyone do before they go interview for a company? How do you prepare for the questions that are technical in nature?
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-08, 09:11 PM   #2
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 1356
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 26

Read up on the company to understand what they do and what the job descritpion is. It typically lists the skills they are looking for such as ACAD drafting experience, Cisco networking etc. If you ahve experience and know the skills they ae asking for then technical questions are pretty straight forward.

Sometimes they ask a question that is company specific and you don't know the answer too, I just relate an experience that is similar that I dealt with.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-08, 09:16 PM   #3
roman.GSR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 391
Dislikes (Given): 52
Dislikes (Received): 54

Delete, not thread friendly

Last edited by roman.GSR; 2014-01-10 at 01:13 PM..
roman.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-08, 10:11 PM   #4
Sully

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 57
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 4

Ask questions, don't wear cologne, wear a suit, good body language
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-09, 07:20 AM   #5
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

*cough* check out the stickies in here. Pretty sure you can find everything and anything for interview preparation.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes rambler liked this post
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-09, 07:37 AM   #6
Z06formula

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 10
Dislikes (Received): 0

Research the company and individuals that will be conducting the interview. ASK QUESTIONS. Show up 10 minutes early. Eye contact. Bring resumes and list of references. Have all documents in a leather business folder.
Z06formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-10, 12:53 PM   #7
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1797
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Research the job - know as much as you can. What you will be doing, where you will be doing it, etc. If you don't know, ask.

Research the company - Know what they do, and their locations. Look at their website if nothing else. You can get a good idea of what is important to them, likely a mission statement, etc. Cater some of your responses using words from their mission statement. It is painfully obvious when people do not research the company. If you do not care enough to spend 5 minutes online researching, why should I think you will put any effort into your work.

Ask questions - Even if all of the basic ones have been answered, not asking questions will look like you don't care. Good fall-backs if you have nothing else include;
-Who do I report to and how is the position evaluated? It should be a red flag if you are reporting to more than one person.

-What is the turnover rate at the position (if there are multiple people doing it) or why is the position vacant? If they go through a lot of people, another red flag.

-Is there any travel, training, etc.?

-What is the structure, environment, and organization like where you will be working?

-If it is going well, you could ask for a general idea of the benefits package.

I have also found it VERY helpful to ask the interviewer about him/herself. Ask them why they like the company, how they came to work there, etc. People generally like to talk about themselves and it creates more of a personal experience, helps the conversation flow, and can keep it from getting "cold." Doing this will generally loosen everything up and can make the time go by quickly.

Do not be afraid to have notes with you and do not be afraid to take notes during the interview. It shows interest.

EDIT- As far as technical questions, if you don't know something, discuss it with the interviewer, ask questions back. You may not have to know the exact answer, but acting interested and willing to learn it could go a long ways.

Last edited by 69Mach351; 2014-01-10 at 12:57 PM..
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-10, 03:56 PM   #8
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
Research the job - know as much as you can. What you will be doing, where you will be doing it, etc. If you don't know, ask.

Research the company - Know what they do, and their locations. Look at their website if nothing else. You can get a good idea of what is important to them, likely a mission statement, etc. Cater some of your responses using words from their mission statement. It is painfully obvious when people do not research the company. If you do not care enough to spend 5 minutes online researching, why should I think you will put any effort into your work.

Ask questions - Even if all of the basic ones have been answered, not asking questions will look like you don't care. Good fall-backs if you have nothing else include;
-Who do I report to and how is the position evaluated? It should be a red flag if you are reporting to more than one person.

-What is the turnover rate at the position (if there are multiple people doing it) or why is the position vacant? If they go through a lot of people, another red flag.

-Is there any travel, training, etc.?

-What is the structure, environment, and organization like where you will be working?

-If it is going well, you could ask for a general idea of the benefits package.

I have also found it VERY helpful to ask the interviewer about him/herself. Ask them why they like the company, how they came to work there, etc. People generally like to talk about themselves and it creates more of a personal experience, helps the conversation flow, and can keep it from getting "cold." Doing this will generally loosen everything up and can make the time go by quickly.

Do not be afraid to have notes with you and do not be afraid to take notes during the interview. It shows interest.

EDIT- As far as technical questions, if you don't know something, discuss it with the interviewer, ask questions back. You may not have to know the exact answer, but acting interested and willing to learn it could go a long ways.
Excellent advice. Too many people work so hard on how they will answer potential questions about themselves, but won't even research the position or the company.

I've seen too many people coming in for interviews that have NO IDEA what the position even is, or where it's located. Ask where they want to be and if they like Kansas City, and they'll say "Oh I don't want to stay in Kansas City, I saw you have an office in X city and want to be there." Not how it works buddy, position is listed for HERE.
95PreludeSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-10, 05:22 PM   #9
rambler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 194
Likes (Received): 115
Dislikes (Given): 4

one of the most important things as well is follow-up.. a brief note or CALL and at end of interview, ask what next steps or decision will be made and let them know you will be calling if you do not hear from them.. Ask of course if he does not mind..

When I was a sales manager for a couple different companies, I had the opportunity to interview and hire individuals. If a couple of good candidates existed,I would just wait a few days to see who would follow-up.. I like the call better instead of a "generic" card. Chances are that person would win out over the others, especially with a sales/service position.

Good Luck !!
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-13, 10:25 PM   #10
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

This interview was a little different. It was the second interview and I think it went really well. They talked about another job I might be good for, so who knows. I was honest with questions I didn't know, and answered a good amount of them correct.

If the job was found by a recruiter how does the whole followup process work?
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal

Last edited by Billy Mild; 2014-01-13 at 10:28 PM..
Unread 2014-01-14, 08:07 AM   #11
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
If the job was found by a recruiter how does the whole followup process work?
Didn't the recruit go over the process with you?
or call (913) 226-3806

Unread 2014-01-14, 08:10 AM   #12
Z06formula

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 10
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
Didn't the recruit go over the process with you?
Contact the recruiter and ask these questions.
Z06formula is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-14, 08:25 AM   #13
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like

The people I interviewed with said they would let me know soon. On the way out, one of the 2 guys went down in the elevator with me. Told me he also had a spot open on his team for a pre-sales job. Talked to me about it for at least 5-10 minutes. He mentioned I would be perfect for it. I talked to the recruiter after my interview to discuss how it went and the details of it. I then mentioned the pre-sales job(not what the recruiter is looking for). She said that is a good sign and must have really liked me. She told me to call her on Monday evening if I didn't hear anything. I did that, but should I also followup with the people I interviewed with?

Having the recruiter complicates things a little bit. It seems like she will be negotiating my salary and what not? Never used a recruiter to find a job before.
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
Unread 2014-01-14, 10:48 AM   #14
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Having the recruiter complicates things a little bit. It seems like she will be negotiating my salary and what not? Never used a recruiter to find a job before.
The recruiter is your point of contact for the position, do not go directly to the company.

I have used them many times, I am using one now in my current position.
or call (913) 226-3806

Unread 2014-01-14, 12:43 PM   #15
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

The recruiter will contact you if they are interested. Don't worry about that. These people are vultures and only get paid when someone they find gets hired. Use them as much as you feel comfortable with. They have an interest in you getting the job. Only contact the company directly if asked to.
Unread 2014-01-14, 01:31 PM   #16
rambler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 44
Thanks (Received): 37
Likes (Given): 194
Likes (Received): 115
Dislikes (Given): 4

who is your recruiter? I may be looking for a new position soon, and finding a good recruiter is difficult..
rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-01-20, 09:20 AM   #17
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
who is your recruiter? I may be looking for a new position soon, and finding a good recruiter is difficult..
There are generally three types of recruiters, at least in my experience...

1 - the headhunter - these are the best ones out there. Different firms and people within the firms cater to different industries, businesses, etc. You don't track them down for a job, they will find you. The easiest ways to get them to come after you is to get your name out there. Get published/mentioned in trade magazines (that is how they found me), talk to everyone you can, and if you know any recruiting companies that specialize in your area of expertise, you can usually create a profile on their web page, which may or may not yield results, but it doesn't hurt. This is for higher end job.

2 - The recruiter assigned to a specific company - Large companies will sometimes have one to a few recruiters that work specifically for them. Turning in a resume or going through a hiring company is the way to get in touch with these people.

3 - Employment Agencies - These get a bad wrap IMO. A lot of people think that all they do is place the lowest level of employees, when in reality, they will usually place up to the lower management level including blue and white collar jobs. Different employment agencies are usually good at different things, so keep that in mind if you are seeking one out. I have worked and hired people from a few of these. You can go sign up with them or they will generally watch Craigslist, Monster.com, careerbuilder, etc. and contact people through those sites, about signing up with them. The employee has nothing to lose, the final say in the job, and has some very networked company looking for a job for them.