Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2013-10-24, 04:43 PM   #1
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 17
Likes (Received): 13
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 2
Default Career Change-Suggestions

I'm pretty well rounded but my main experience is being a Loan Officer for banks for the last 12 years, I also have Store Manager exp and Project Manager exp.
I'm not in school I graduated in 2003 from CMSU with a Bach in Business
What are your career aspirations? What do you want to do? I'm leaning more toward programming or IT but I am open to suggestions.
What will you absolutely without a doubt not do? Nothing...non like most I have done anything and everything from my own lawn care business, to Bathroom remodaling etc.

What happened to your last job? With all of the law changes etc its 10x harder to make a good living. I also now have a daughter so the commissions only gets scary.

I would love suggestions for school, training, jobs etc.
Unread 2013-10-27, 02:55 PM   #2
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 829
Likes (Received): 852
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

I just finished an Associates Degree in Computer Science...working on a Bachelors degree in Software Engineering. I know for sure I want to be a Software Engineer. Have a friend in that field and he likes it a lot. Plus I enjoy programming.

The only thing I will NEVER do is a manual labor job. Work smart not hard
Unread 2013-10-28, 10:40 AM   #3
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rob...I am also leaning more toward programming..seems like I would enjoy it. Since I already have a bach in Business ...I wonder if I can just take a few classes and get a cert?
Unread 2013-10-28, 11:02 AM   #4
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 829
Likes (Received): 852
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseyou View Post
Thanks Rob...I am also leaning more toward programming..seems like I would enjoy it. Since I already have a bach in Business ...I wonder if I can just take a few classes and get a cert?

Hmm...that's a good question. I personally don't know of any certs for programming. If for some reason there was I would imagine that you would get certified, and then do internships.

Programming isn't easy it can be a challenge. I don't know if any short term certifications can teach you all that you need to know in the programming world. Once I finish my Bachelors in Software Engineering I will start looking for internships. I will honestly probably end up at Cerner. From what I understand they pay interns well and most interns end up with a full time job.

My school offers online degree programs in Software engineering.

http://www.park.edu/academics/academ...ams/index.html

Check it out. Maybe it wouldn't take much for you to get a degree since you already have a lot of credit hours
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-28, 11:04 AM   #5
HiLandR
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 833
Likes (Received): 729
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 14

With your knowledge of banking coupled with some programming education, i would think that you could write some game-changing software for the banking industry!
2007 Audi S4 - traded
2004 BMW 540i - sold
2001 C5 sprayed Corvette - sold
HiLandR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-28, 03:00 PM   #6
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiLandR View Post
With your knowledge of banking coupled with some programming education, i would think that you could write some game-changing software for the banking industry!
Thanks... Maybe some baby steps first but I have a few ideas...
eclipseyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-30, 08:45 AM   #7
black797

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 69
Dislikes (Given): 2

I don't know how to answer your question Jason but I wanted to touch on this subject quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Once I finish my Bachelors in Software Engineering I will start looking for internships. I will honestly probably end up at Cerner. From what I understand they pay interns well and most interns end up with a full time job.
Do not wait until you're done with school to start looking for internships. Even if you're working full time you can still fit in an internship here or there. Having internships during your schooling will put you miles ahead of your classmates (competition) when it comes time to look for a full time position in your field.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13
...I'm retarded...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes HiLandR liked this post
black797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-30, 11:11 AM   #8
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by black797 View Post
I don't know how to answer your question Jason but I wanted to touch on this subject quickly.

Do not wait until you're done with school to start looking for internships. Even if you're working full time you can still fit in an internship here or there. Having internships during your schooling will put you miles ahead of your classmates (competition) when it comes time to look for a full time position in your field.
Thanks a bunch for the info... I would think that to be very true....
Unread 2013-10-30, 12:18 PM   #9
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 133
Thanks (Received): 36
Likes (Given): 711
Likes (Received): 286
Dislikes (Given): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
The only thing I will NEVER do is a manual labor job. Work smart not hard
I wouldn't say never on that one.

Between a mentally draining job and a physically draining job paying the same amount, I would take physical. At least I don't have to find time and energy afterwards to go to the gym.
Unread 2013-10-30, 01:09 PM   #10
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like

I have checked a few School programs, and Centriq...the school programs will take quite a long time 2+ years ...Centriq offers a few really good programs that are 6 month programs ...but they are really expensive...like 30K exp ...
Unread 2013-10-30, 02:51 PM   #11
amclint

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 121
Likes (Received): 34
Dislikes (Given): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipseyou View Post
I have checked a few School programs, and Centriq...the school programs will take quite a long time 2+ years ...Centriq offers a few really good programs that are 6 month programs ...but they are really expensive...like 30K exp ...
IMO, avoid Centriq if you can, I can tell you from spending the last 8 weeks interviewing KC candidates that Centriq on the resume is a red flag before we even talk to people. If I did go to Centriq, I wouldn't tell anyone about it

Take some classes at the community college to get your feet wet if you need to, or just do online tutorials. Then you can do small jobs for local businesses, not for the money really because they don't pay much, but for the experience. Once you have an understanding of the tools you would use, and a general idea about the language you'll be working in, all it takes is a bit of experience and you can start looking at Jr jobs. Jr jobs don't pay much either, but it's a living wage and you're expected to have more motivation than experience. If you get in at a good company, you'll have Sr devs that you can learn from their code and from them if they aren't jerks.

I would suggest .net, C#, doing MVC with heavy UI (jQuery, Knockout JS, Bootstrap, etc) because that's what I've been working in and hiring people in for the last few years and KC has such a small supply of good .net developers. If you start down this road most of the software you would need is free, and there is a ton of help out there (Google/Stackoverflow FTW).

Good luck!
amclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-30, 02:58 PM   #12
eclipseyou

Post Thanks / Like
Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by amclint View Post
IMO, avoid Centriq if you can, I can tell you from spending the last 8 weeks interviewing KC candidates that Centriq on the resume is a red flag before we even talk to people. If I did go to Centriq, I wouldn't tell anyone about it

Take some classes at the community college to get your feet wet if you need to, or just do online tutorials. Then you can do small jobs for local businesses, not for the money really because they don't pay much, but for the experience. Once you have an understanding of the tools you would use, and a general idea about the language you'll be working in, all it takes is a bit of experience and you can start looking at Jr jobs. Jr jobs don't pay much either, but it's a living wage and you're expected to have more motivation than experience. If you get in at a good company, you'll have Sr devs that you can learn from their code and from them if they aren't jerks.

I would suggest .net, C#, doing MVC with heavy UI (jQuery, Knockout JS, Bootstrap, etc) because that's what I've been working in and hiring people in for the last few years and KC has such a small supply of good .net developers. If you start down this road most of the software you would need is free, and there is a ton of help out there (Google/Stackoverflow FTW).

Good luck!
Thanks a bunch for the Advise....