Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2013-04-05, 03:30 PM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Default A new KCI is closer to takeoff

Kansas City officials forged ahead Thursday toward a new airport terminal, more determined than ever even while acknowledging the public probably isn’t on board yet with that goal.

An artist's rendering of the proposed new design for Kansas City International Airport.

Animation shows proposed new designed for Kansas City International Airport. (April 4, 2013 Video courtesy City of Kansas City)

Related News

The Star's editorial: Move forward with planning for new KCI terminal

More News

Read more Front Page

The City Council’s Transportation Committee unanimously gave the green light to continued planning for a new, single-terminal Kansas City International Airport.

“We’re either going to be on the cutting edge or we’re going to be left behind,” Mayor Sly James said Thursday after the vote. “We can make this a purely, strictly, really cool Kansas City icon with all the stuff that we now know from every other airport that’s been built.”

He will need to convince people such as Kevin Koster, a Kansas City marketing executive who started a website at www.savekci.com just last week.

Koster said he’s had lots of feedback already from other people skeptical about the need for a new airport.

Koster said he’s not completely opposed to a new airport but doesn’t want to lose what makes KCI so special. He particularly likes how people can get to KCI and onto their plane in less than an hour, unlike other cities where it can take two hours to clear security.

“Kansas Citians should be able to figure out how we can keep what makes the airport great and solve these other problems,” he said.

City officials think they can do that and create a new airport as convenient as the old one.

The full council will vote on the advanced terminal planning study April 11. But a lot more needs to happen, including workshops and hearings to gather feedback from a skeptical public, before a new airport can be built, possibly in five to seven years.

“This is the end of the beginning of a long process,” City Manager Troy Schulte told the committee, adding there will be lots of opportunities for public input beginning this summer.

The study confirms what had already been presented last fall. The Aviation Department recommends replacing the existing KCI with a new terminal that could accommodate all passengers and airlines where the existing Terminal A is located.

The entire project, including terminal, new parking garage and other improvements, would cost an estimated $1.2 billion and would be paid for with passenger ticketing fees; airline, concession and tenant payments; and other aviation funds — but not local taxpayer dollars.

The financing method is still not identified, but Schulte acknowledged that selling municipal airport bonds would be the “cheapest form of financing.”

In Missouri, anytime a municipality issues debt, it must go to a public vote, so that means Kansas City residents may get a vote on this plan even if their tax dollars are not paying for it. Aviation officials acknowledge that many people love the airport just the way it is but say a new airport design can retain those passenger-friendly elements, such as close parking and gates, while adapting to all the security challenges of the modern aviation world.

Aviation Director Mark VanLoh said all the airline consolidations are hard to accommodate in Kansas City’s current three-terminal configuration. He said Kansas City has lost market share in recent years to Wichita, Columbia and Branson, not to mention larger airports, and has no ability to accommodate direct flights to Europe or other major business destinations.

He said KCI now averages 10 million passengers annually, down 2 million passengers a year from 2001. Getting new airlines to come to Kansas City or to expand their service from KCI has also been a challenge in recent years.

“We could lose our dominance in the Midwest,” he said.

The city already plans to close Terminal A, probably by the end of the year, because airline consolidations have largely emptied it.

VanLoh acknowledged that he couldn’t guarantee more business and traffic with a new airport but said he fears the continued loss of business if Kansas City doesn’t modernize.

Other Kansas City business leaders echoed that concern during a council discussion Thursday.

Bob Marcusse, president of the Kansas City Area Development Council, said KCI’s current configuration and lack of direct flights put the city at a competitive business disadvantage. He said the best thing some executives can say about the airport is that it is “quaint.”

Despite the public’s affection and emotional attachment to KCI, the airport is actually a “poor passenger experience,” with insufficient restrooms and minimal concessions in the gate areas, said Mark Perryman, a Landrum & Brown consultant who worked on the study.

Perryman said the airport’s baggage security systems and mechanical systems are hopelessly outdated and cannot be updated in the current, 40-year-old airport. And he said new security requirements coming in the near future will be hard to accommodate with KCI’s current design.

While the existing KCI currently has 30 gates, it was built for 90. The new terminal would be built for 37 gates initially, but the design would be flexible and the facility could be bumped out over time to 60 gates.

Perryman said a new airport could be just as convenient as the current facility, with gates and parking still close, and it doesn’t have to be a huge, intimidating behemoth. It would have different levels for departing and arriving passengers to minimize the congestion that can sometimes occur now.

“You’re not Atlanta or Chicago,” he said, adding that KCI could look to Sacramento, Indianapolis or Austin as cities with newer airports that work well.

Kansas City resident Patrick Shami wasn’t persuaded. He told the committee that the department’s plan to spend $117,000 on a public relations firm smacked of a “thinly disguised campaign” to manipulate public opinion for a plan that is very unpopular.

But Transportation Committee chairman Russ Johnson defended the city’s push to keep modernizing the airport. He said more detailed planning will take the rest of the year or longer, including public workshops and detailed work on financing options. Architectural planning could take 18 months. Actual construction could take two years and employ 1,800 construction workers.

Johnson said residents also had an emotional attachment to Kemper Arena, but the city still made the right decision when it built the downtown Sprint Center.

James agreed.

“We have to do those things that are in the best financial, economic, environmental, business interests of the city,” the mayor said, “while trying to hold on to those emotional attachments that make things special.”

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 04:01 PM   #2
06g35meister

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 102
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 14

I dont think that people are actively NOT coming through MCI. Nor should they, it is a pretty dang good airport IMO.
06g35meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 04:29 PM   #3
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 415
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 11

They might not be "local tax dollars", but local people will definitely be contributing via the "passenger ticketing fees".

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what we have now. Ask anybody that flies regularly and they will say our airport is one of the best to get in and out of quickly.

I don't want a new airport just so we can add a bunch more shops and restaurants and bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather as a Force Multiplier: Owning the Weather in 2025
In 2025, US aerospace forces can “own the weather” by capitalizing on emerging technologies and focusing development of those technologies to war-fighting applications.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes SinBad69 liked this post
Justin 05 STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 06:08 PM   #4
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin 05 STi View Post
They might not be "local tax dollars", but local people will definitely be contributing via the "passenger ticketing fees".
I found the article interesting since the pfc tax for Kansas City just decreased. I was going to look into what those actually cover though. Maybe that is limited to facility maintenance and has no effect on new construction.

Last edited by JewelsMari; 2013-04-10 at 06:51 AM..
JewelsMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 08:06 PM   #5
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 655
Likes (Received): 783
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what we have now. Ask anybody that flies regularly and they will say our airport is one of the best to get in and out of quickly.

I don't want a new airport just so we can add a bunch more shops and restaurants and bullshit.
Having flown through Sea-tac, Indianapolis, O'Hare, John Wayne, LAX, Denver has led me to believe KCI is old, outdated and the three separate terminals and security screening with no real shops/restaurants at the gates SUCKS!!!!! It really isn't easier to drive in and out of. They don't need a huge airport, look at Indianapolis for ideas.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kyle H, milanoGSRteg liked this post
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 08:44 PM   #6
milanoGSRteg

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 124
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 1274
Likes (Received): 577
Dislikes (Given): 216
Dislikes (Received): 272

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekwonder View Post
Having flown through Sea-tac, Indianapolis, O'Hare, John Wayne, LAX, Denver has led me to believe KCI is old, outdated and the three separate terminals and security screening with no real shops/restaurants at the gates SUCKS!!!!! It really isn't easier to drive in and out of. They don't need a huge airport, look at Indianapolis for ideas.
I agree 100%. The terminal seperation is pretty hectic. Especially the traffic and parking situation. I rarely ever find a "good" parking spot at MCI unless its outrageous prices for tue day. The food selection sucks, granted it is an airport. But compaired to Indy, Northern Kentucky, Milwaukee, Columbus Ohio, and a few other small airports I've been to this one is the worst IMO
Unread 2013-04-05, 08:56 PM   #7
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 131
Likes (Given): 181
Likes (Received): 946
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 34

The airport in Kansas City is MCI...jesus christ is it that hard to get right?

DFW is setup the same way as MCI it just has a little more shopping and food. It is also bigger though. I have been through more airports in the last 6 months than ever before and I can tell you that I would much rather deal with MCI than some of the other places with 1 TSA entrance and a line a mile long.
Unread 2013-04-05, 09:03 PM   #8
milanoGSRteg

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 124
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 1274
Likes (Received): 577
Dislikes (Given): 216
Dislikes (Received): 272

Yeah but Dallas gets way more traffic than MCI does. Its comparing apples to oranges.
Unread 2013-04-05, 10:30 PM   #9
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 655
Likes (Received): 783
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lox View Post
The airport in Kansas City is MCI...jesus christ is it that hard to get right?

DFW is setup the same way as MCI it just has a little more shopping and food. It is also bigger though. I have been through more airports in the last 6 months than ever before and I can tell you that I would much rather deal with MCI than some of the other places with 1 TSA entrance and a line a mile long.
MCI is the code/Original name, Kansas City International Airport is the name ow. Just check out the website http://www.flykci.com/. So no it isn't that hard for us, but it looks like it is for you.

KCI isn't bad to deal with, yes it is a "bit" easier to get in and out of, but you give up some conveniences with that and have to deal with the lack of shops/restaurants to go to after you have gone through security. After going through airports like LAX, John Wayne, Sea-tac, Indianapolis, O'hare, I prefer all of them over KCI. And security at the other airports have not taken me much more than 10-15 minutes longer than trying to go through security at KCI.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-05, 10:35 PM   #10
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

the local passengers loved KCI, but the transfers did not like it as they had to leave security if they wanted any real selection of food. I worked there for 4 years and heart it all.
Unread 2013-04-05, 11:44 PM   #11
Hyper Blue

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 268
Likes (Received): 46
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 13

How about we use that $1.2 billion to fix the sewer system?

Ahhh, fuck it! Shiny new airport that we don't need!!! WOO-HOO!!!

Hyper Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 12:30 AM   #12
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 527
Likes (Received): 1137

Quote:
Originally Posted by MymonteSS View Post
the local passengers loved KCI, but the transfers did not like it as they had to leave security if they wanted any real selection of food. I worked there for 4 years and heart it all.
Agreed. I love flying in and out of KCI, and I've flown to a lot of airports. KCI is so easy if it's your departure or arrival destination. You don't care that the terminal is a mile long and has an overpriced shopping mall inside. But, I do feel sorry for people who have layovers. There's not much going on.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 06:53 AM   #13
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Quote:

Quote:

I think its funny that a lot of people are using this ridiculous line of "ask anyone that travels a lot..." and then those that travel a lot say they hate it, lol.

This needs to happen. I was just in Frankfurt and Detroit yesterday and they make our airport seem like a podunk shithole that should have prop planes only.

The not having anything past security sucks ass. If you have a layover in KC, it sucks ass.

The ONLY nice thing about KC is that its usually pretty quick to get through security but then you just sit there.

One terminal with a large security area and then restaurants and shops after security while you wait would be awesome in KC.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 08:28 AM   #14
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
This. MCI is one of the worst business airports in the nation. It's convenient for local travelers but its impossible to have a layover and you can't service any real volume. From an outsider coming in it seems terrible. Also, the tiny and fragmented security makes for a mess during rush periods.
Unread 2013-04-06, 08:31 AM   #15
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
MCI is the code/Original name, Kansas City International Airport is the name ow. Just check out the website http://www.flykci.com/. So no it isn't that hard for us, but it looks like it is for you.

KCI isn't bad to deal with, yes it is a "bit" easier to get in and out of, but you give up some conveniences with that and have to deal with the lack of shops/restaurants to go to after you have gone through security. After going through airports like LAX, John Wayne, Sea-tac, Indianapolis, O'hare, I prefer all of them over KCI. And security at the other airports have not taken me much more than 10-15 minutes longer than trying to go through security at KCI.
Sure, it has always been called Kansas City International airport...but airports are named by the airport code, not what you call them. At least for people who work at airlines, or travel any considerable amount...

When you book a flight, is it KCI or MCI/argument over....
Unread 2013-04-06, 08:55 AM   #16
Protege94

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 98
Dislikes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper Blue View Post

Yet another misguided soul.

The money isnt coming from Kansas City. Its federal money that will pay for the new airport.

Just like with the street car. People that arnt paying for it still feel the need to bitch and complain.

1998 Civic EX
Protege94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 09:11 AM   #17
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protege94 View Post

The money isnt coming from Kansas City. Its federal money that will pay for the new airport.

Just like with the street car. People that arnt paying for it still feel the need to bitch and complain.
Wut? If it is federal money, everyone is paying for it...
The Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 10:19 AM   #18
turborotor89

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 19
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

I'm based out of O'Hare and so I go through MCI every week basically, and I think it could use an upgrade. The quick security lines are just a pittance to the boredom and lack of food option once inside. I've been though most major to mid-major airports east of the rockies, and I think an airport like Indy would be great here. A horseshoe with a big security checkpoint in the middle, nice restaurants and things to look at, then the airlines in the "arms" of it, with random shops and food options near the gates.

I don't think the artist rendering is too bad, I just think that I'd still prefer a horseshoe

1989 Mazda RX-7
2003 Yamaha YZF-R6
2004 Acura TL
turborotor89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 10:37 AM   #19
Hyper Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Federal money? As in...the federal government that is $17 trillion in debt?
Hey, what's another $1.2 billion when you're $17 trillion in the hole, am I right?
Talk about "misguided soul"...
Unread 2013-04-06, 10:41 AM   #20
Hyper Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
What? If it is federal money, everyone is paying for it...

WHAT!?!? You mean federal money comes from taxes paid by US???
You can't be serious!!!

Unread 2013-04-06, 10:57 AM   #21
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 702
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Wut? If it is federal money, everyone is paying for it...

Source of funding hasn't been determined yet.

Fox 4
Quote:
City officials are considering tearing down Terminal A to build a brand new terminal. It’s estimated to cost about $1.2 billion. Leaders are trying to determine how to pay for it. They don’t want to rely on federal funding and are considering asking voters to issue bonds to pay for the project.

While I do believe a new airport is beneficial, I'm not really in favor of the design. I'm just not sure how a one-terminal airport is going to pull in new airlines. I also had to laugh at one of the comments that thought it would invite an airline to turn MCI into a hub. Having less space to expand doesn't look like an invitation to me.

While I do believe Southwest just spent their own money to either update or expand HOU (Houston Hobby), I really don't see them or another airline doing that for MCI. I could see them doing a few non-stop or direct international flights out of MCI if they thought it would be profitable now that they have the Air Tran Merger.

EDIT: Southwest expanded HOU to do international flights to MX. If they went international from MCI it would be competing with Frontier's non-stop international to MX and with their outsourcing, I could see them (F9) discontinuing service and doing it all out of DEN actually.

I'm also not sure where they're planning on putting all these awesome new restaurants they're pushing. From the design photo it almost looks like all of the restaurants would need to be outside security. Unless it's going to be 3 floors and will be similiar to the main food court design that DEN has.

Last edited by JewelsMari; 2013-04-06 at 01:52 PM..
JewelsMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 01:39 PM   #22
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like

I get that if you are on a layover you need options for food, but otherwise, why the fuck are people getting to the airport so early that they need to eat while they are there? Why do people feel it is necessary to get drunk at the airport? My best friend insists on getting to the airport early enough to have at least 2 drinks. When I fly I want to be there about 20 minutes before boarding if possible, that is it, and I hate paying the airport prices on shit...
The Lox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 01:42 PM   #23
Protege94

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 98
Dislikes (Received): 20

Quote:
Federal money? As in...the federal government that is $17 trillion in debt?
Hey, what's another $1.2 billion when you're $17 trillion in the hole, am I right?
Talk about "misguided soul"...
Its Federal Aviation funding.

My point was that the original post said why not use the 1.2 billion to fix the sewer system.
Since the money going to build the new airport isnt local money that 1.2 billion couldnt be used for the KC sewer system.

Additionally, the 1.2 billion wouldnt be added to the current national debt. The Federal Aviation already has money set aside for such projects as this.

The financial impact of a brand new airport that can service international flights would be HUGE for not only KC but for the entire area up north. That area would hit an economic boom if they opened a new airport that serviced international flights.

EDIT: Now if the CITY was forking out 1.2 billion to pay for the new airport I would be bitching as well but considering its not I am in full support of this.

1998 Civic EX
Protege94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-04-06, 05:44 PM   #24
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4967
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 121
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Sure, it has always been called Kansas City International airport...but airports are named by the airport code, not what you call them. At least for people who work at airlines, or travel any considerable amount...

When you book a flight, is it KCI or MCI/argument over....
Its nothing to get blue in the face over. Locals know it as KCI; that is not changing. Officially it is MCI, but either way it doesn't matter. KCI/MCI are the same place.

Not only that, but it SHOULD officially be KCI but the K designation wasn't used when the airport was built so they got stuck with the M code.
Unread 2013-04-06, 06:43 PM   #25
volksmech
volksmech > God

Location: the dreams in which i die are the best i've ever had
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Received): 5

I love the one we have now but I would hate it for a connecting flight type of airport having to redo security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygun
I think it needs a LS1
volksmech is offline   Reply With Quote