Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2015-05-29, 04:57 PM   #1
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like
Default Google Unveils Project Jacquard

a Movement to Bring Touch and Gesture Technology to Clothing

Back in early May, the Google ATAP team teased that they would show off new wearables that would quite literally ďknock our socks offĒ at Google I/O. Today, we have that announcement, and itís conductive yarn in the form of Project Jacquard.
By weaving in conductive strands of yarn into basically any textile, the ATAP team is able to turn a specific part of your pants or jacket into a touch interface, which leads to end-users controlling functions of a device by tapping or sliding a finger on their clothing.
ATAPís idea is that Jacquard will be a blank canvas for clothing designers and developers to work with, allowing them to fit the technology to whatever use they would like. As purely an example, just an idea that I thought of myself, if your phone is in your pocket that is connected to a pair of Bluetooth headphones, and you want to adjust the volume, you could do a quick slide of a finger on your jacket either up or down to control the volume. That could be cool, right?
Jacquard is in a very early state, so right now, what we can do with it is still unknown. It will be up to developers and designers to decide how they want to incorporate clothing with sensors inside.
Watch the below intro video to see just how Project Jacquard could soon come to clothes or furniture near you.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qObSFfdfe7I

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-05-29, 06:37 PM   #2
roman.GSR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 391
Dislikes (Given): 52
Dislikes (Received): 54

Sounds like a black persons name
Chevy Trailblazer- Snow mobile
roman.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-05-29, 07:01 PM   #3
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4370
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman.GSR View Post
Sounds like a black persons name
Looks french to me
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-05-24, 03:40 PM   #4
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Googleís Project Jacquard Introduces Leviís Trucker Jacket, Arrives Next Year

The inner geek in all of us should still be giggling at all of the fun stuff Googleís ATAP team announced on stage today at Google I/O. If you missed it, weíll be sure to share the session once it has been uploaded. (EDIT: WATCH IT HERE!)
The ATAP team not only gave us a tour of the latest in Project Ara happenings, but they showed off an amazing Project Soli smartwatch concept, and told us when to expect the first consumer clothing item with embedded Project Jacquard.
Through a partnership with Leviís, weíll all be able to buy a new jacket that is outfitted with Jacquard technologies within the next year. The jacket is called the Commuter Trucker jacket and it was designed for city bike commuters, or those who just want a sweet new denim jacket with some tech inside.
Not familiar with Jacquard? It was first unveiled at Google I/O last year as a fabric that was weaved with technology, so that you could touch it or swipe gestures across it to perform tasks through a smartphone or other device. Think about swiping across your pants to change music tracks, answer a call, etc.
It took some time for them to get the weave perfected for this denim jacket, but they have reached the point where they are ready to start production, again, only a year after they first showed off the concept.
Below, you can see the dongle-esque (or ďsmart tagĒ) device that powers the weave, along with the subtle weaved pattern that you can touch. That smart tag can be removed when you are ready to wash your jacket. I donít know that they have specifically mentioned this, but that smart tag likely has Bluetooth and a battery which connects to your phone to make the magic happen.
This is only the first of what could be many articles of clothing to adopt Jacquard. But for now, you can see how close the future is and how smart everything in our lives has become.
In these couple of clips, you will get to see how they make the denim for this jacket with Jacquard embedded and also what it could be like for a biker commuter to use the jacket during daily rides.

Making of Jacquard denim

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grKHwQIaiaA

The Commuter Trucker jacket in action

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJ-lcdMfziw

Unread 2016-05-24, 04:43 PM   #5
roman.GSR

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 294
Likes (Received): 391
Dislikes (Given): 52
Dislikes (Received): 54

Isn't this what the smart watch is suppose to be for?
Chevy Trailblazer- Snow mobile
roman.GSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-13, 10:36 AM   #6
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Google and Leviís Project Jacquard jacket has restored my faith in wearables

Technology you wear on your sleeve ó literally

Photo by Nick Statt / The Verge

Wearable technology once promised to take us away from our phones and to improve our lives in subtle but powerful ways. The reality, however, has been a bit less exciting. More often than not, devices have been hampered by clunky design and bad taste, resulting in products that are expensive, unnecessary, and ugly. Yet itís these drawbacks that highlight just how interesting Leviís new connected smart jacket is ó and why itís a bolder and perhaps more promising form of wearable tech.
Leviís jacket is a more promising form of wearable
The jacket, which Leviís brought to SXSW this week in Austin, is made in partnership with Googleís Project Jacquard, a division within the companyís Advanced Technology and Projects, or ATAP, group. The Jacquard division pioneered conductive fibers that are woven directly into clothing, so that motions you make on the left cuff of the jacketís sleeve register as touch inputs, as if it were a screen. Those are then sent to your smartphone via a Bluetooth attachment that clips on as a cufflink. The conductive fibers are flexible and can be washed ó though the actual electronics are handled by the cufflink, which you have to remove before you wash the jacket.
Originally due out in this spring, Google and Leviís delayed the product to some time this fall. Itís unclear exactly what the issue is, as the jacket has been shown off fully formed and functional numerous times in the past. But the mobile app, which was only half finished at Leviís demo station here in Austin, might be the culprit. Some functions were grayed out and I imagine that while the jacket is designed, ready, and producible, the overall software might still need some ironing out.
ďWeíve been going through continuous consumer wear testing to refine the jacket and its abilities,Ē a Google spokesperson told The Verge. ďWe want to be sure we take the time to get it right and provide a great experience for people.
Project Jacquard is about turning any type of textile into a touchscreen-like input device. Photo by Nick Statt / The Verge At $350, Leviís is positioning the product as a pricier-than-normal jean jacket for cyclists who want to get map updates or change a song on Spotify while theyíre riding, all with taps and swipes on the sleeve. Google and Leviís hope to add more functions down the line, but right now itís pretty minor stuff. At the moment, you wouldnít be wrong to see this jacket as something like the Withings Activitť, which was nice-looking wristwatch that just happened to do some lightweight fitness tracking.

After trying the jacket on for myself and testing some of its features with a beta version of the mobile app, Iím starting to think it might have the most potential of any recent connected device. Itís not just that itís a really comfortable and attractive piece of clothing, from a company whose jeans I wear pretty much every day of my life. Itís also the fact that the jacket feels like one of the first truly practical pieces of wearable tech.
It feels like the first truly practical wearable
Itís a piece of clothing Iíd be okay wearing almost every day, with functions that donít profess to have a groundbreaking impact on your health or your well-being. Itís map updates and Spotify control in a stylish jacket, and thatís it. The tech is on its sleeve, but it doesn't wear the tech on its sleeve, if you know what I mean. As a bike commuter in San Francisco, where Leviís bayside headquarters is located, this product was pretty much tailor-made for people like me. Iím constantly looking for ways to integrate interesting and helpful tech into my daily life without feeling like I have to go out of my way to use it.

I have an Apple Watch, and I thought it would make listening to music or navigating to a location on my bike easier. But it proved even more cumbersome to fiddle with a tiny watch screen at a red light than taking my phone out for 15 seconds, so I almost never use it for that (or really anything else except notifications). This is the dirty secret of wearable tech: itís almost never more convenient than a phone. But a jacket that effectively has a invisible screen woven into its very fabric might just flip the script on wearables.
Photo by Nick Statt / The Verge ďWhen you go to dinner and see your people at their meals looking at their screen, or when you see cyclists accessing their screens for navigation and putting themselves at risk... to me, that really was the reason to do it,Ē said Paul Dillinger, Leviís global product innovation head, at a SXSW discussion on connectivity this past Saturday. ďNot because of the dazzling capabilities, but because of the immediate need.Ē
Solving for a real problem we can observe, and not a perceived or invented problem, is the change in approach that gives the Leviís jacket a greater feeling of utility. The software is pretty clean and customizable. You can tap on any one of the three available gestures ó a swipe in, a swipe out, and a double tap ó and map a touch interaction to that gesture, like skipping a song or getting a Google Maps update. Google says the app is still a work in progress, and it should get more gestures and more third-party support in the future. But right now it does what it was designed to do and thatís good enough.
The software is simple and functional Photo by Nick Statt / The Verge
I imagine some people will buy into Leviís Jacquard jacket for reasons only partially related to the fact that it has conductive fibers woven into it. That might be exactly what successful wearable tech needs: a product that exists equally in both worlds, without pushing too hard on either its traditional function or its connected features.
A jacket is there to keep you warm and make an aesthetic statement about your personal style. The fact that this particular jacket does some neat smartphone-related stuff is a perk ó not the core focus. That Google and Leviís accept and embrace that turns a $350 jacket into a wearable device that seems well worth the price.

Unread 2017-09-25, 12:15 PM   #7
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Leviís Commuter Trucker Jacket With Jacquard Arrives This Week

G9ADVeNpypk&ap=%2526fmt=22&fs=1" width="858" height="508">G9ADVeNpypk&ap=%2526fmt=22&fs=1" />Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: G9ADVeNpypk
" TARGET="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ADVeNpypk

The Leviís Commuter Trucker Jacket that is powered by Googleís Project Jacquard technology, finally goes on sale this week after a couple of years worth of work. Itíll still cost $350, but that may just have to be the price you pay for the combination of fashion and future tech.
For those not familiar, the Leviís Commuter Trucker Jacket is a connected jacket. I wouldnít say so in a super nerdy, you-donít-want-to-wear-this kind of way, though, but more in a handy, Iím-busy-and-need-connectivity-as-I-commute kind of way. The jacket features Bluetooth connectivity to your phone, along with a touchable portion of fabric on the jacketís left sleeve. That touchable area allows you to swipe or tap to change songs on your playlist, get next directions, hear notifications, etc. Itíll also send you subtle vibrations as notifications roll in.
For help with the Commuter or if you are curious how all of this tech works, check out Googleís dedicated support site for it.
Since this is a jacket, you are probably wondering if you can wash it Ė the answer is yes. There is a snap tag on the jacket that allows for the Bluetooth connection, but removing that then allows you to clean this jacket as you would any other. It is a denim jacket first and foremost.
The Commuter from Leviís goes on sale tomorrow, September 27, at select shops before rolling out more widely online on October 2. All of the purchase spots can be found below.
Available for purchase at the following shops starting 09/27.
Available online and at the following Leviís stores starting 10/02.
  • Online at levi.com
  • Leviís Market St., SF, 815 Market St, San Francisco, CA 94102
  • Leviís Santa Monica, 1409 3rd Street Promenade, Santa Monica, CA 90401
  • Leviís Michigan Ave, Chicago, 600 N Michigan Ave, Chicago, IL 60611
  • Leviís NYC Meatpacking, 414 W 14th St, New York, NY 10014
Buy Leviís Commuter Jacket

Unread 2017-09-25, 12:16 PM   #8
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9ADVeNpypk

Unread 2017-09-25, 12:16 PM   #9
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqimqTf6EP8

Unread 2017-12-18, 04:19 PM   #10
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Google's Project Jacquard jacket can now light up its tag and find your phone

When it went on sale in late September, Levi's Commuter Trucker Jacket was the first piece of clothing to integrate Google's Project Jacquard touch-gesture functionality. At $350 a pop, it's not a surprise that the Jacquard by Google app (which is used to customize and control the jacket) shows just 100-500 installs. That means a few hundred people will be delighted to learn that the app just got its first major update, which lets wearers of the Jacquard-woven jacket use gestures that enable new light modes for the tag on the sleeve, as well as find their phone.

The new Jacquard abilities are called "Illuminate" and "Find Your Phone." The "Illuminate" ability let wearers assign a custom gesture to enable one of three light modes:
  • Shine, which turns the tag on the jacket's sleeve into a flashlight
  • Blink, which turns the tag into a blinking light to make you more visible to drivers and others when you're outside in the dark
  • Strobe, which turns the tag into a "multicolored party light" (Google's words)
When you use a gesture assigned to enable the new "Find Your Phone" ability, your phone will ring for up to 30 seconds at maximum volume, even if it's on silent.
Other Jacquard abilities include navigation help, call and text management, and music and audio control. In addition to the two new features, Google updated the "What's Playing on Android" music-listening feature to work with all music services supporting Jacquard.
Here's the full changelog:
WHAT'S NEW
Your jacket can now do more!
Introducing two new abilities:
  • Illuminate - Blink, shine or celebrate with the light on your Jacquard snap tag.
  • Find Your Phone - Misplaced your phone? Make your phone ring so you can locate it.
Weíve updated Whatís Playing on Android to work with all Jacquard supported music services.
https://support.google.com/jacquard/.../7538406?hl=en
Cleaned house for the holidays, and swept out a few bugs.

If you've got a Levi's Commuter Trucker Jacket and want to take these new abilities for a spin, go put it on and update the Jacquard app in the Play Store now ó and let us know if that strobe light makes you the life of your next holiday party.