Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2014-06-12, 01:55 PM   #1
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4
Default Non bedside jobs for BSN/RN

Hi guys, I know that a lot of you work or have wives that work in the medical field. My wife is possibly looking at other jobs so that she can switch to days.

Her current hospital has the same position that she is currently in as a day position but the $5 an hour pay cut would hurt a little for doing to same thing, and it would actually be busier during the day. So I am wanting to see what else she might be able to do with her degree that would make decent money. I am almost wondering if its just her hospital that has a lower pay structure and if she would get paid more by going to the bigger names like St. Lukes or an HCA hospital.

She has her BSN and has been working for 4 years now as an RN, of which the last year or maybe a little more she has been in the critical care float pool so she has awesome experience, floats between ER, ICU, CICU, and Stat Team.

She has mentioned looking into a clinical informatics job, also wondering if anyone has experience working with Cerner or the like around here in KC. If it was good or bad?

Thanks
sleek98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-12, 01:59 PM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 259
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1957
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek98 View Post
Hi guys, I know that a lot of you work or have wives that work in the medical field. My wife is possibly looking at other jobs so that she can switch to days.

Her current hospital has the same position that she is currently in as a day position but the $5 an hour pay cut would hurt a little for doing to same thing, and it would actually be busier during the day. So I am wanting to see what else she might be able to do with her degree that would make decent money. I am almost wondering if its just her hospital that has a lower pay structure and if she would get paid more by going to the bigger names like St. Lukes or an HCA hospital.

She has her BSN and has been working for 4 years now as an RN, of which the last year or maybe a little more she has been in the critical care float pool so she has awesome experience, floats between ER, ICU, CICU, and Stat Team.

She has mentioned looking into a clinical informatics job, also wondering if anyone has experience working with Cerner or the like around here in KC. If it was good or bad?

Thanks
My ex-wife is an RN an works at Teva in a call center there supporting an MS drug that Teva makes. She faced the same issue as she was a night nurse at St. Lukes and going to days, while more desirable, was too pig of a pay cut.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-12, 02:51 PM   #3
chaseme

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 31
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 130
Likes (Received): 97
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 2

Is it the nights or the hospital life?

My wife did nights for a few years (RN). Hard to beat the extra pay especially while she was back in school. She is a NP at a family clinic and she loves it. No weekends, no call, significant pay increase. But, that means a couple of years back in school.
Unread 2014-06-12, 03:08 PM   #4
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseme View Post
Is it the nights or the hospital life?

My wife did nights for a few years (RN). Hard to beat the extra pay especially while she was back in school. She is a NP at a family clinic and she loves it. No weekends, no call, significant pay increase. But, that means a couple of years back in school.
Its the nights, but to stay in the hospital she would be taking a cut which is what I am trying to figure out how to avoid.

I priced out her going back to school and it just doesn't make sense for us to send her back to become a FNP. Basically the cost of the schooling, her lost salary (since the programs I found, UMKC, Graceland, KU, wont let you work), more expensive health insurance and extra daycare was over 200k for the 3 years in negative cash flow. That would take over 20 years to break even assuming she makes 90k a year coming out (if im way off base on this let me know) vs just working the day shift at her current gig after taxes.

It does make sense for her to go back to become a CRNA, but we would have to sell our house and cars (cars I can do and do it easily, house on the other hand I don't think either of us are ready to do quite yet) to be able to do it as once again losing her salary, higher daycare and medical insurance cost would be high. From my search it looks like CRNA's are making in the 120-150k range, which would put us at a 6-7 year break even point, and then massive payback after that.

Like I said I am trying to help her look into other options. I think at this point if she/we don't find any other options outside of the hospital then it makes the most sense to just have her go to days and lose some fun money.

Last edited by sleek98; 2014-06-12 at 03:38 PM..
Unread 2014-06-12, 03:48 PM   #5
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 364
Likes (Given): 4993
Likes (Received): 2126
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
My ex-wife is an RN an works at Teva in a call center there supporting an MS drug that Teva makes. She faced the same issue as she was a night nurse at St. Lukes and going to days, while more desirable, was too pig of a pay cut.
Believe my neighbor is a recruiter for them and is who I was going to suggest.
Unread 2014-06-12, 04:57 PM   #6
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 829
Likes (Received): 852
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

My wife works for NKC Hospital on nights. She went to Graceland. The pay is really good but I hate her working nights
Unread 2014-06-12, 05:21 PM   #7
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
Believe my neighbor is a recruiter for them and is who I was going to suggest.
Pretty sure Teva does contract to hire on all of their stuff. My ex went in through Favorites Healthcare Staffing.

Unread 2014-06-12, 09:37 PM   #8
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
My wife works for NKC Hospital on nights. She went to Graceland. The pay is really good but I hate her working nights
Its not bad, when we didn't have Ethan it was awesome, it was like I was single 3 nights a week, but now with her working all weekends to save on day care it kinda sucks.

What unit does she work on and when did she graduate, I bet the know each other as Kara works at NKCH too in the float critical care float pool.
Unread 2014-06-13, 07:05 AM   #9
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Its not bad, when we didn't have Ethan it was awesome, it was like I was single 3 nights a week, but now with her working all weekends to save on day care it kinda sucks.

What unit does she work on and when did she graduate, I bet the know each other as Kara works at NKCH too in the float critical care float pool.
This is exactly what I went through with my ex and my son. At 8 weeks I was with him 3 nights a week. Then toss in her gambling addiction and that quickly became 4 to 5 nights a week.

Makes being a single father pretty cake though when you're already used to it.

Unread 2014-06-13, 09:18 AM   #10
Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

She graduated in December and she works in the float pool as well. She floats in the med-surge float pool.

Her schedule is pretty cool. I don't know what it is exactly but i know she works something like 3 on 2 off 3 on 2 off 3 on 7 off

The 7 off is really nice because she can actually go to bed with me on those days
Unread 2014-06-13, 09:50 AM   #11
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
This is exactly what I went through with my ex and my son. At 8 weeks I was with him 3 nights a week. Then toss in her gambling addiction and that quickly became 4 to 5 nights a week.

Makes being a single father pretty cake though when you're already used to it.
We were lucky that she had 12 weeks off but even then I couldn't have done it every night. I have a lot more respect for single fathers, I feel like I can never get anything done when its just me and him. Although now that he is sleeping better I can get an hour or so to work on stuff before I go to bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
She graduated in December and she works in the float pool as well. She floats in the med-surge float pool.

Her schedule is pretty cool. I don't know what it is exactly but i know she works something like 3 on 2 off 3 on 2 off 3 on 7 off

The 7 off is really nice because she can actually go to bed with me on those days
Kara sets her schedule for the most part for Thur. Fri. Sat. Nights to max the diffs and minimize the daycare.
Unread 2014-06-13, 10:31 AM   #12
Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Kara sets her schedule for the most part for Thur. Fri. Sat. Nights to max the diffs and minimize the daycare.
Yes my wife has that option as well
Unread 2014-06-13, 04:49 PM   #13
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 64
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

My wife is at Research on nights. The diff isnt that great, so Im looking forward to her going to days. Seems general/critical care nursing in KC doesnt pay very well, or at least below my expectations of what nurses make. Have to work OT or agency/prn to make good money and then be without benefits.

Im trying to get ger into looking for more money in general. But she would rather start popping out kids than go back to school.

Cerner pays well, but its lots of hours and probably travel for some of the positions. One of her classmates was a nurse for about a year and went to Cerner.

My wife worked in finance there.. I dont think I could convincer into going back.

Last edited by jdne5b; 2014-06-13 at 04:52 PM..
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-06-13, 08:21 PM   #14
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdne5b View Post
My wife is at Research on nights. The diff isnt that great, so Im looking forward to her going to days. Seems general/critical care nursing in KC doesnt pay very well, or at least below my expectations of what nurses make. Have to work OT or agency/prn to make good money and then be without benefits.

Im trying to get ger into looking for more money in general. But she would rather start popping out kids than go back to school.

Cerner pays well, but its lots of hours and probably travel for some of the positions. One of her classmates was a nurse for about a year and went to Cerner.

My wife worked in finance there.. I don't think I could convincer into going back.

She has been talking with an agency, pay is great, would be 37-40 an hour after the housing stipend. Only down side is if we want to have another kid later on they dont have paid time off for FMLA. They do offer 401k match, and health benefits, just not PTO/ paid Medical time off.

Her night diff is 3.5 an hour so its a decent chunk, 7,000 a year with a few overtime shifts. I thought it was 5 until she looked it up last night.

If you don't mind can you tell me what the weekend diff is at Research?

Thanks for the ideas.
Unread 2014-06-14, 12:44 AM   #15
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 64
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

$3 for night and I think $2 for weekend.

I know 4+k isnt much to sneeze at, but having her on a normalish schedule will be nice. It still sucks that she gets up stupid early and doesnt get home till 830 when she is on days.

Last edited by jdne5b; 2014-06-14 at 12:53 AM..
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote