Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > Import Tech

Unread 2016-02-22, 04:43 PM   #1
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 812
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 90
Default Subaru Guys (Drivetrain issues?)

Need some input. I picked this 02' Wagon up about a month ago for $3600. Pretty clean car, lots of tasteful mods already done, 174k. Seems to run very well until four days after I bought it I started experiencing some drivetrain noise. It's been sitting in my driveway for weeks, I'm still DDing my Rav4.

Anyways I'm just trying to figure out what's wrong and what I'm looking at for repairs. I'm still at the point where I could sell the car as-is and easily get all my money back. (Because Colorado)

I do like the car and would like to keep it. The motor seems very healthy it pulls real hard and it isn't even stage 2 yet. I held off on flashing until I figure the trans issue out. The noise seems to go away when I push the clutch in. There is absolutely no noise at idle, only when the car is in gear and in motion. It does make some noise on decel as well.

I found out the car was a theft recovery after I bought it. The ignition is still stripped out and alarm doesn't work. (Had a clear title so I didn't even think anything of it...) The factory tow hook was installed on the front bumper. I'm wondering if it was improperly towed and just took a few weeks for an issue to pop up?

So far the only suggestions I've gotten are a possible center diff issue or maybe a throwout bearing. I'm swamped with work and school right now so I haven't had much time to work on it or take it somewhere. I found a used transmission out of an 03' with 169k miles for $500 so I was thinking about grabbing that and just swapping regardless. But if it's just a center diff bearing or something, I could fix it much cheaper.

I don't have much experience with Subaru drivetrains. Any help is appreciated. Video below, thanks.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTx7iif_OgM

Sorry guys, Invidia turboback is loud. Might need to turn speakers up or use headphones.
Unread 2016-02-22, 06:27 PM   #2
maynardDRIVESfast

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 69
Likes (Received): 270
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 4

I can't really get a good listen since I'm on mobile. However it seems like it would most likely be the throwout bearing since it goes away when the clutch is pushed in. Other than that, I'm pretty sure most aftermarket subie clutches rattle a bit. At least almost every one I've driven has.
Unread 2016-02-22, 06:39 PM   #3
snm95ls

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 399
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 3577
Likes (Received): 2058
Dislikes (Given): 64
Dislikes (Received): 56

Definitely an issue related to axle speed, AKA a diff bearing or something of that nature.

I'm not sure it's a CD bearing problem though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
...Because I live on a balanced diet, I have a balanced mind, and as a result I know that animals are like people. Some are for looking at. Some are for loving. Some are for riding. And some need to be shot because they’re a bloody nuisance.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-22, 06:44 PM   #4
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like

I just drove it again and when I go into neutral and coasting there is still a slight sound present. Nothing at a dead stop/idle. Nothing when I free rev.

Clutch feels very strong and all gears shift fine. I did notice when in gear if I move the shifter around the noise can get louder.
Unread 2016-02-23, 02:29 AM   #5
DSMspick

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 21
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

Might be a wheel bearing.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
DSMspick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-23, 02:32 AM   #6
RiskyRick

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 77
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 382
Dislikes (Given): 51
Dislikes (Received): 19

So, clutch in stops the noise or not?
RiskyRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-23, 11:18 AM   #7
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Received): 2

I don't think it's a wheel bearing like DSMspick said - but try doing hard right and hard left sweeping turns at a constant speed when it's doing it and if the noise changes at all then it's a wheel bearing.

To me it sounds more front input bearing in the trans or the center diff / viscous coupler support bearings and the quickest would be to swap the trans assembly but really they're not bad to build if you wanted to just replace the offending bearings.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to tear into one after my brother's girlfriend had her car towed by a wheel lift truck and it burned up a lot of bearings in the trans due to the angle of the tow and lack of lubrication to some bearings at that angle and one set of wheels being locked to the tow truck in an AWD car... We couldn't prove a darn thing that I'm sure happened as they swore that it was flat-bedded and all their operators 'know better' but somehow it made a bunch of racket when she got it out and when I tore into it the bearings were burnt up and were so heat destroyed that it was apparent there was a lack of lubricaiton on 1/2 the tranny
Unread 2016-03-02, 06:05 PM   #8
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
I don't think it's a wheel bearing like DSMspick said - but try doing hard right and hard left sweeping turns at a constant speed when it's doing it and if the noise changes at all then it's a wheel bearing.

To me it sounds more front input bearing in the trans or the center diff / viscous coupler support bearings and the quickest would be to swap the trans assembly but really they're not bad to build if you wanted to just replace the offending bearings.

I had the unfortunate opportunity to tear into one after my brother's girlfriend had her car towed by a wheel lift truck and it burned up a lot of bearings in the trans due to the angle of the tow and lack of lubrication to some bearings at that angle and one set of wheels being locked to the tow truck in an AWD car... We couldn't prove a darn thing that I'm sure happened as they swore that it was flat-bedded and all their operators 'know better' but somehow it made a bunch of racket when she got it out and when I tore into it the bearings were burnt up and were so heat destroyed that it was apparent there was a lack of lubricaiton on 1/2 the tranny
Yeah I haven't really done anything else to try and figure this out. I appreciate your help but nobody can tell me exactly what it is and that's understandable without tearing it apart.

Still debating if I just sell it and move on or attempt swapping a used trans myself. I can get all my money back and maybe even make a little bit so it's pretty tempting to just avoid the hassle.
Unread 2016-04-15, 07:14 PM   #9
criddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Received): 0

it wouldn't be center diff issue. you will
feel binding when turning if something is wrong
with it.
throughout brg is good possibility if sound goes
away when clutch is depressed.
check rear axles and make sure they haven't
popped out of rear diff too.
clutch chatter is common if the flywheel is reused
when replacing a subaru clutch
Unread 2016-04-15, 07:18 PM   #10
criddy

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 4
Dislikes (Received): 0

you can drive car on lift and listen to front diff
with stethoscope if you think there is an issue
there.
Unread 2016-04-15, 07:25 PM   #11
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like

I parted the piece of shit out, made like $1200 profit, kept the cobb intake, heatshield and rally armors and bought an 06' STI shortly afterwards. I pick the car up next Friday.

Thanks for the input though.