Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2018-02-13, 10:09 AM   #101
TAILWAG

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 199
Thanks (Received): 128
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 780
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
Im sure this is old news, but I installed a Nest thermostat a couple months ago and am in love. So nice to be able to keep my house colder during the day but turn the heat on when I start to head home after work so it's not still 57 degrees when I get home.

We went to Florida over Christmas, we left the house at 45° and it was below zero outside the day we were coming home, so it was super convenient to be able to raise the temp from a thousand miles away so that we got home to a toasty house but didn't have to waste gas and electricity that whole week. Our bills have definitely been better, and our electric utility gave us a $100 credit for installing it.
I don't know if it is a good idea to bring the temperature down all the way to 57 degrees. I would think it would take considerably more energy to raise it to 69-70 degrees from 57, than it would to maintain it at about 62-64 and simply raising it to 69-70. I don't know how you would measure this though unless you monitor each way for a couple of months to compare, but then, you would have to be able to see if the temperature outside had any say in determining the factors.
TAILWAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-13, 10:22 AM   #102
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Also something I should throw in there for those looking at doing in-wall switches. Ive worked with 3 brands so far.

Belkin - These are OK if you dont have a home controller. They work on wifi without a hub and work with Google I Know for sure. Being said they are very limited and kind of expensive, you're better off getting a smartthings hub and going z wave if you are doing more than a couple of switches.

Leviton - These are probably the caddilac as far as functionality is concerned. Really fast response to everything, even the fastest on pressing the button (ill talk about the GE/Jasco later). But they feel like shit. If you dont use the physical switch often or just dont care about how it feels then these are the guys for you. Im OCD and old school so I still often just use the switch like the olden days so these kind of annoy me. And to be clear, this is a PREFERNCE thing. The build quality is perfectly fine, its just they allowed a lot looser tolerances in making the switch. Their dimmers work quite well and I prefer their main dimmer design because it has a row of LEDs that tell you what level you are on, etc and let you pre-set the dimmed level and just turn on to that. But the dimmer part of the button pops off if you hit it too hard on the 3-4 way companion switches ONLY (this doesnt affect the main switch. Also the companion switch trigger a status update to smartthings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lutron - Hated them. Caseta technically works with outsiders but not well and their switch design was stupid (they look like they are permanently off and you hit on for off). A shame since I love my maestro classic switches. They are also the only one I found that really reliably triggers a status update quickly, apparently they hold some sort of patent

GE by Jasco - Except for ONE THING these are easily the best. The build quality is up there with Lutron, switch is tight and feels really positive. Their dimmers are excellent in function even if they dont have anything to indicate dim level. I prefer their slow-fade on and off compared to Leviton. Its a really slow fade on and off and is PERFECT for the light in your bedroom. Far less harsh waking up to it than just instant-ON.

So that one thing? There is a slight delay from hitting the physical switch to the action happening. You push the button and a few hundred milliseconds later you can hear the relay and the light goes on/off. If you can tolerate that its the way to go, it slightly annoys me but Im going to slowly convert to theirs.

Another thing is their locator light is insanely bright, so mind that if you put it in your bedroom. Being said you can cut the little plastic fiber optic piece that channels the light to the front of the switch and its much better. I wouldn't knock it because its easily fixed or isnt a problem in a room that isnt a bedroom or you arent light sensitive.

Since its Jasco and apparently Jasco was one of the early adopters you also have tons of options. Ive used the switches in 4 way applications, smart dimmers, smart outlets (to control under-cabinet lighting), outdoor plug, fan controllers, two of the plug in outlets for things like christmas tree, and I have a motion switch on the way for the garage.
http://www.ezzwave.com/z-wave-products/

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2018-02-13 at 10:29 AM..
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-13, 10:26 AM   #103
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
I don't know if it is a good idea to bring the temperature down all the way to 57 degrees. I would think it would take considerably more energy to raise it to 69-70 degrees from 57, than it would to maintain it at about 62-64 and simply raising it to 69-70. I don't know how you would measure this though unless you monitor each way for a couple of months to compare, but then, you would have to be able to see if the temperature outside had any say in determining the factors.
Nest creates this report that actually includes all of that information. Also the power company, at least mine, will send you a report of use and includes temps of the day, etc, for comparison.

I dont go down to 57 but I did allow it to go to 65 or up to 85 (I use the range, so I never have to select heat/cold) when away. It rarely gets to either because my place is new and I doubled the insulation in the attic. I saw a reduction on both energy cost and run time for days of similar weather.

Now I just gotta get a benifactor so I can put in the blinds, have them close when I am away but open (but at an angle to shade the sun based on time/season) when I get home.

A little background on the misconception of it costing more to heat than to maintain: https://home.howstuffworks.com/home-...n-not-home.htm

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2018-02-13 at 10:32 AM..
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-19, 12:03 PM   #104
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 258
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1950
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Since the weather was nice I decided to install the Sylvania Lightify Gardens pot Mini RGB set I got at Christmas. Was easy to install (I'm definitely going to add more) and integrated right in to SmartThings.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-20, 12:23 PM   #105
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 100
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 942
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

I have 3 GM Light Switches install and a module for my fireplace.
Unread 2018-02-20, 12:37 PM   #106
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Be interested to hear about your fireplace. Mine is a low voltage contact switch so I was thinking of putting the relay in the bottom of the housing and using the wall switch as a safety.
Unread 2018-02-20, 03:53 PM   #107
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReidStylez View Post
I have 3 GM Light Switches install and a module for my fireplace.
What module did you go with for your fireplace?

Unread 2018-02-21, 10:17 AM   #108
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
What module did you go with for your fireplace?
ZFM-80
Unread 2018-02-21, 01:12 PM   #109
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I could have done that but I have no power in the box. Just a two wire low voltage cable and the switch that is in there opens/closes the circuit. Everything that controls the fireplace is in the bottom of it.
Unread 2018-02-21, 01:17 PM   #110
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
I wish I could have done that but I have no power in the box. Just a two wire low voltage cable and the switch that is in there opens/closes the circuit. Everything that controls the fireplace is in the bottom of it.
That's what the switch Reid posted is for.

Unread 2018-02-21, 02:03 PM   #111
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Quote:
Yup. This is a low voltage switch. From what I've been reading, people are saying to have an auto off feature either by a device handler or via CoRE/WebCoRE as they are scared that sometimes ST will return a false positive and turn the switch on accident.
Unread 2018-02-21, 03:37 PM   #112
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I wish I could have done that but I have no power in the box.
Quote:
https://www.zwaveproducts.com/produc...n/ZFM-80US.pdf

Its a powered dry-contact switch. Id need a pair for power and a pair for the contact switch.

Whatever I do I need to do it at the fireplace because there is nothing in the box (nor enough wire) to actually power the switch.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B6RZ7MM..._nGDJAbP8M3J5P

I could do something like that. Id then run the relay IN the switch circuit so I could keep the physical switch as a backup. Turn it on when I was planning on using it later, then use the z wave function. Just worried about heat down there.

if they had run a 4-conductor wire up I probably could have something in the wall.
Unread 2018-02-26, 11:42 AM   #113
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 659
Likes (Received): 784
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

I've wanted to get into home automation, but my wife was never really into it as much as me. I got an Echo+ and Phillips Hue light for free for signing up for some training, and she loves it now. So definitely going to do some more automation now that she see's some of the basic stuff we can do. The biggest problem we have, is since her Mom lives with us, and she kind of questions anything I do tech wise and would never say "Alexa do this", a lot of the stuff we do, definitely has to have old person manual way also.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-26, 11:56 AM   #114
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekwonder View Post
I've wanted to get into home automation, but my wife was never really into it as much as me. I got an Echo+ and Phillips Hue light for free for signing up for some training, and she loves it now. So definitely going to do some more automation now that she see's some of the basic stuff we can do. The biggest problem we have, is since her Mom lives with us, and she kind of questions anything I do tech wise and would never say "Alexa do this", a lot of the stuff we do, definitely has to have old person manual way also.
With SmartThings you can use the app on your phone/tablet as well. Not to mention you can completely ignore that you have anything going on at all and just continue to use manual switches.

Unread 2018-02-26, 12:56 PM   #115
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Damn, your mother in law questions anything tech related you do? That sucks!

I just recently started setting up my mother in laws house with a SmartThings setup. She loves showing off what it can do to her friends.
Likes freekwonder liked this post
ReidStylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-26, 02:43 PM   #116
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
With SmartThings you can use the app on your phone/tablet as well. Not to mention you can completely ignore that you have anything going on at all and just continue to use manual switches.
Yeah, just makes things a little harder to plan sometimes. Like our back porch. It has two lights on their own switch/circuit. Kind of dumb. I know I can run wires between them and make them a three way setup, but that's old school. Would be a lot easier to put in two smart switches and just yell "Alexa Porch" and turn on both lights. Just not sure how to manually do it without running wiring.

Quote:
Damn, your mother in law questions anything tech related you do? That sucks!

I just recently started setting up my mother in laws house with a SmartThings setup. She loves showing off what it can do to her friends.
She doesn't mind tech she doesn't really see, but she gives me a "fun" hard time when ever something we buy is "techy", she didn't know what was wrong with me, when we first moved into the house and I started running CAT6 through out the house and putting drops in certain rooms.
Unread 2018-02-26, 02:59 PM   #117
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Yeah, just makes things a little harder to plan sometimes. Like our back porch. It has two lights on their own switch/circuit. Kind of dumb. I know I can run wires between them and make them a three way setup, but that's old school. Would be a lot easier to put in two smart switches and just yell "Alexa Porch" and turn on both lights. Just not sure how to manually do it without running wiring.
If you had smart switches on both you could have an automation so if you turn one switch on it'll turn the other one on and it'll do the off command too.

Quote:
She doesn't mind tech she doesn't really see, but she gives me a "fun" hard time when ever something we buy is "techy", she didn't know what was wrong with me, when we first moved into the house and I started running CAT6 through out the house and putting drops in certain rooms.
My wife is some what tech savy but for the most part when stuff like that happens she's like whatever, just tell me what I need to know if anything.
Unread 2018-02-26, 03:57 PM   #118
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
If you had smart switches on both you could have an automation so if you turn one switch on it'll turn the other one on and it'll do the off command too.

My wife is some what tech savy but for the most part when stuff like that happens she's like whatever, just tell me what I need to know if anything.
Luckily 99% of the time my wife is on board. She's getting use to having Alexa also. Like when hands are full and turning lights, setting timers in the kitchen, annoying our son by playing cheese 80s and 90s songs. She really started liking the idea that if I had one in the shop we could use them as an intercom system.

so with the alexa and the right smart switch, you could setup a routine that when one switch is manually turned on, the other one would turn on also? I like that idea. Better than getting in the attic and running wiring for a 3 way circuit.
Unread 2018-02-26, 04:45 PM   #119
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

I found some instructions on the fireplace wiring with a different type of switch. - https://imgur.com/a/2gJxj

I have that switch for my garage door.
Thanks freekwonder thanked for this post
Unread 2018-02-26, 04:47 PM   #120
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
so with the alexa and the right smart switch, you could setup a routine that when one switch is manually turned on, the other one would turn on also? I like that idea. Better than getting in the attic and running wiring for a 3 way circuit.
I don't know about with Alexa Routines but I know with Smart Things you can control if a certain switch or sensor changes to make it do another routine or turn on or off something.

I used to have our living room light blink if someone rang our door bell and the living room TV was on since we turned off the actual door bell chime but that got annoying
Unread 2018-02-26, 05:50 PM   #121
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I don't know about with Alexa Routines but I know with Smart Things you can control if a certain switch or sensor changes to make it do another routine or turn on or off something.

I used to have our living room light blink if someone rang our door bell and the living room TV was on since we turned off the actual door bell chime but that got annoying
Well I guess the other option is to just switch out the switches for smart switches, create a group in Alexa called "porch" and put both switches in the group. Those of us in the house that accept technology can say "Alexa turn on porch" and get both lights, those of us that don't accept it, can manually turn on one light at a time like we do now.

But sound like what we may need to do also, is eventually add a smartthings hub. Especially since alexa only does zigbee, geting the ST hub would expand our smart home capabilities.
Unread 2018-02-26, 06:02 PM   #122
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 186
Likes (Given): 533
Likes (Received): 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAILWAG View Post
If you ignore the outside temperature, the energy is the same. Think of it this way. If you had a 100 gallon tank and it leaks 1 gallon every minute, it wouldn’t matter if you added 1 gallon every minute or 50 gallons every 50 minutes, you still have to add the exact same amount of water. However, considering the outside air temperature, the closer the inside temperature is to the outside temperature, the slower the heat will “leak” from your home.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-26, 08:42 PM   #123
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 358
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
I found some instructions on the fireplace wiring with a different type of switch. - https://imgur.com/a/2gJxj

That is savage. I have a fireplace that this would work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-02-27, 11:29 AM   #124
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like

I now have Arlo cameras that integrate with Smart Things setup. woot woot
Likes Corners liked this post
Unread 2018-02-27, 01:46 PM   #125
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Thats likely what I am going to have to do. I would do the series wiring though, would feel safer having the switch make it unable to accidentally turn on.

Just wasnt sure how it would handle the heat. I guess most goes up but I wouldnt want it to get cooked down there.