Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Unread 2010-12-08, 09:15 PM   #26
95cobra

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 13
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

regardless if you like basketball or not, this would be a good thing for KC.

to say that CP3 would leave is just to uncertain to say. they have been strong this year and as long as they keep on winning then i can see him staying--maybe with new ownership he can get byron scott back as HC(huge outside chance but i can dream). while i'm dreaming, it would be nice though to see a KC team go to the eastern conference lol.

i personally would be buying season tickets--paul or no paul, but since he's been my guy to watch since 05 then obviously i might spend a bit more on better seats.
95cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-08, 10:22 PM   #27
e.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 273
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 30
Dislikes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cobra View Post
regardless if you like basketball or not, this would be a good thing for KC.

to say that CP3 would leave is just to uncertain to say. they have been strong this year and as long as they keep on winning then i can see him staying--maybe with new ownership he can get byron scott back as HC(huge outside chance but i can dream). while i'm dreaming, it would be nice though to see a KC team go to the eastern conference lol.

i personally would be buying season tickets--paul or no paul, but since he's been my guy to watch since 05 then obviously i might spend a bit more on better seats.
Byron Scott is the Cavs head coach. Don't think he will be going back to the Hornets anytime soon.

And even if CP stays now and doesn't get traded, he's leaving in 2 years unless they get him some better talent than David West and Okafor.
Unread 2010-12-08, 10:52 PM   #28
bluesfannoz

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 1

Having been one of the very few regular attendees of the former Kansas City Kings as a teenager... I don't believe this town will support a team

Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans

Facebook Predator Mustang Fans

85 Black T-Top Dominator GT

Previously owned:
83 Dominator GT
08 V6 Mustang
07 Mustang GT
85 Dominator GT
85 Predator GT
82 Mustang GT
bluesfannoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-08, 11:06 PM   #29
95cobra

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by e. View Post
Byron Scott is the Cavs head coach. Don't think he will be going back to the Hornets anytime soon.

And even if CP stays now and doesn't get traded, he's leaving in 2 years unless they get him some better talent than David West and Okafor.
man, i had no idea byron scott was coaching the cavs

paul is not going to be traded this year. do you think stern is going to let go the only thing that franchise has going for it(obviously i realize his is not in charge of operations, but it would be very foolish to think he won't have a say in something as big as that)?

if he leaves, then so be it, but to say it's certain is just not so. a lot can happen in 2 years. whoever the new owner is is going to have quite a bit of cap room to work with.
95cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 03:24 PM   #30
broke91hatch

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 28
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 62
Dislikes (Given): 13
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikEVO View Post
so is watching

skate around
hit the puck to another guy
hit the puck to the other guy
hit the puck to the another guy
hit the puck behind the net to another guy
shoot
miss
pass it to the other team
hit the puck
shoot
miss

repeat x's 100000000000000000
Do you not see the hitting or the fighting? Or are you watching womens field hockey?
broke91hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 03:31 PM   #31
BrettGT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 50
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
* Self thinks a pro team coming to the Sprint Center, if it ever happened, could definitely change the college feel of Kansas City. Thinks the economy could force people to choose between financially supporting college hoops or pro hoops. KU, K-State and Missouri are selfish – they enjoy being the collective professional franchise.
My thoughts exactly.
BrettGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 03:56 PM   #32
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 161
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 400
Likes (Received): 633
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by QwikEVO View Post
so is watching

skate around
hit the puck to the other guy
hit the puck to the another guy
hit the puck behind the net to another guy
shoot
miss
pass it to the other team
hit the puck
shoot
miss

repeat x's 100000000000000000
you must be watching during power plays where the goal is to play keep away until you can manufacture a scoring opp... regular action hockey is people literally sprinting down the ice for 3 minutes at a time (line changes because you can't loaf around like they can in the NBA), puck constantly in flux of possession, and that's not even getting into the action not on the puck.

the NBA takes an athleticism that is nearly unparalleled but that's all it really takes (even up to all-star level play) so don't think I'm knocking it entirely but not since the early 90s has the NBA been able to keep up with the NHL for action/pace of game. the NHL slowed down with the NJ trap-style teams in the 90s but was at least on par with the NBA for that period. after the lockout and expanded rinks happened the NHL leaves the NBA in the dust for play-to-play action (on average).
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 03:59 PM   #33
silver5liter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 80
Likes (Received): 147
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 11

If i want to watch fighting i will watch UFC or the titans-texans rematch

1991 Mustang GT
silver5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:06 PM   #34
High Mileage

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 25
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 107
Dislikes (Given): 140

I'd rather see an NBA team than NHL, although I do not dislike hockey at all. The NBA is obviously more popular and visible. It would mean more media attention as well. Possibly an ESPNKansasCity.com, with three pro teams, KU, Mizzou, etc.
High Mileage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:10 PM   #35
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 508
Dislikes (Given): 88
Dislikes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Mileage View Post
I'd rather see an NBA team than NHL, although I do not dislike hockey at all. The NBA is obviously more popular and visible. It would mean more media attention as well. Possibly an ESPNKansasCity.com, with three pro teams, KU, Mizzou, etc.
Yeah I'm not too convinced the NHL could work here, though I wouldn't mind it. NBA I think would do well enough here. Though I believe we already had our shot once didn't we?
Fatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:11 PM   #36
Gunnar
Broseph Stalin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 110
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 800
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
Kansas City Jazz.

Then make Utah change their name. Mormons hate jazz.
Then cseaman could change his name back too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Smolies, I will straight prison rape anything you drive. I don't give a fuck if its yours or not.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:13 PM   #37
solow5.0

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 29
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 86
Likes (Received): 79
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 8

Well, just 3-4 hours down the road in St. Louis, the Blues are doing quite well. That doesn't neccessarily mean an NHL team would do good here in KC, but if it works there why not here? The Mavericks have quite a lot of support, so that is promising to say the least.
solow5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:14 PM   #38
High Mileage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguy View Post
Yeah I'm not too convinced the NHL could work here, though I wouldn't mind it. NBA I think would do well enough here. Though I believe we already had our shot once didn't we?
Yeah but it's been 25 years. A lot has changed. Plus, we wouldn't be the first city to get a second chance...

New Orleans: Jazz/Hornets
Charlotte: Hornets/Bobcats

(I'm not real deep with NBA history, there may be others)
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:16 PM   #39
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 364
Likes (Given): 4988
Likes (Received): 2126
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

My guess is the Sprint Center owners would probably prefer an NBA team over the NHL, if they had a choice...with the College Basketball Experience and College Basketball Hall of Fame housed in the building. Would probably get more NBA fan foot traffic through there then NHL fans.

Saying that, though, they'd take whatever was offered to them.
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:16 PM   #40
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Yeah but it's been 25 years. A lot has changed. Plus, we wouldn't be the first city to get a second chance...

New Orleans: Jazz/Hornets
Charlotte: Hornets/Bobcats

(I'm not real deep with NBA history, there may be others)
I'm sure there are others. Personally I'd love it. As long as they don't turn into the farm team of the league like the royals have been since what seems like forever.

Kansas City Hornets.

It doesn't sound bad at all. It kind of works.

We have a pretty small sports market, but it isn't like we don't know basketball with the Historic Jayhawks down the road a bit.
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:19 PM   #41
High Mileage

Post Thanks / Like

I can't see Kansas City and the Sprint Center being any worse of a home for the Hornets than New Orleans has been. I'm sure the NBA wants to keep the team in NOLA, but if they start losing money, their money, then anything can happen.

Last edited by High Mileage; 2010-12-12 at 03:26 PM..
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:22 PM   #42
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 403
Thanks (Received): 364
Likes (Given): 4988
Likes (Received): 2126
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

The Hornets had good fan support when they were in OKC after Katrina. Hopefully, they could get the same support from KC if they were made our home team.

sidenote: When they were in OKC, I went down to watch a Pacers @ Hornets game. The fans there were truly pulling for New Orleans like they were their own team. It obviously paid off with the Thunder being there now.
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:24 PM   #43
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I can't see Kansas City and the Sprint Center being any worse of a home for the Hornets than New Orleans has been.
Agreed. I think the real thing holding everyone back right now is the market. I was watching one of the networks a day or two ago and they were talking about sports markets for Basketball for cities with Arena's without teams, and they mentioned KC as a place with a new arena etc, but that the City had a small market for sporting, as evidenced by the Chiefs and Royals. Although, the Chiefs have been VERY profitable given their market size.

I'd definitely go and see a few games a year. I love basketball and I love me some local professional sports.
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:26 PM   #44
High Mileage

Post Thanks / Like

I think Seattle would probably be the league's first choice, but they've got arena issues which is why the team (Thunder) was sold and relocated in the first place. St. Louis and Vancouver are attractive as well.
Unread 2010-12-12, 03:29 PM   #45
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I think Seattle would probably be the league's first choice, but they've got arena issues which is why the team (Thunder) was sold and relocated in the first place. St. Louis and Vancouver are attractive as well.
St. Louis probably has a much better market than we do, but we have the sprint center!!!!
Unread 2010-12-12, 06:26 PM   #46
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguy View Post
St. Louis probably has a much better market than we do, but we have the sprint center!!!!
St. Louis already has 3 major sports teams. Not sure they can support a 4th.
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 06:52 PM   #47
e.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 273
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cobra View Post
man, i had no idea byron scott was coaching the cavs

paul is not going to be traded this year. do you think stern is going to let go the only thing that franchise has going for it(obviously i realize his is not in charge of operations, but it would be very foolish to think he won't have a say in something as big as that)?

if he leaves, then so be it, but to say it's certain is just not so. a lot can happen in 2 years. whoever the new owner is is going to have quite a bit of cap room to work with.
If you knew he was the Cavs coach, then you'd know he has a contract to honor, he isn't going anywhere, nor would he go back to the Hornets.

Obviously Paul won't be traded as of now since the NBA will want to milk any profit they can from the team, and Paul will sell tickets. But after this seasons over, surely they will find a new owner, and Paul will have 1 year left. The Hornets are more than 16 million over the cap, with something like 13 million coming off the books this year - even if they don't sign any of those guys back (they'll have to sign some players), they're still going to be 3 million over the cap.

Basically, the Hornets are in a terrible financial state to get any more help unless it's through a trade. And David West (only other player worth a damn), is going to be a FA when Paul is.