Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-09-12, 01:31 PM   #5126
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

iPhone 8 Keeps a Home Button, Adds Wireless Charging, New Camera Features, and a Better Screen

Ten years after Steve Jobs announced the original iPhone, today Tim Cook revealed the latest major revision of Apple’s smartphone. The iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have a lot in common with the iPhone 7, but a new processor, improved camera, wireless charging, and the iPad Pros’s True Tone display might be a compelling reason to upgrade again.

A Familiar Design

There was speculation that today’s event would only yield an updated ‘s’ version of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus with minimal spec and feature bumps, as Apple has done with the past versions of the iPhone. But Cook and co. are skipping ahead to the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which each feature the same 4.7-inch (1,334 x 750 pixels) and 5.5-inch (1,920 x 1,080 pixels) LCD screens as the 7 and 7 Plus, but with the iPad Pro’s True Tone feature carried over to automatically adjust the colors on the screen depending on your surrounding lighting.

The new versions of the iPhone look nearly identical to their predecessors, including the non-clickable Home button featuring Touch ID’s fingerprint sensor. But on the back of each device you’ll now find a full glass panel, like the iPhone 4 had, which facilitates the Qi wireless charging standard. That’s right, you can finally charge your iPhone by just plopping it down on the countless Qi-compatible wireless chargers already on the market.

Optional colors include silver, space gray, and a new gold tint, so those worried about losing their bling option can breath a sigh of relief. One additional feature that’s not immediately obvious is the addition of an extra speaker near the earpiece on the top of the device giving the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus full stereo sound.

Faster Guts

Inside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus is Apple’s new A11 Bionic 64-bit processor which features a hexa-core chipset similar to the A10X Fusion processor that can be found in the recent iPad Pros. Two of the processor’s six cores will be dedicated to handling tasks requiring extreme processing power (think games, rendering and compressing video, etc.) while the other four will be dedicated to simpler tasks to improve efficiency and battery life. The A11 also features Apple’s first custom graphics chip, with three cores which will presumably be a big assist as new augmented reality tricks debut on the iPhone.

A Great Camera Learns Some New Tricks

The iPhone 7 had one of the best smartphone cameras available, and the 7 Plus introduced Apple’s Portrait mode which used the device’s wide and telephoto camera lenses to calculate depth and artificially defocus the background of photos. The iPhone 8 Plus further expands that functionality with a larger 12-megapixel camera sensor and a new Portrait Lighting mode that combines the smartphone’s flash and depth map to simulate studio lighting setups that don’t actually exist. Like the original Portrait Mode, the results aren’t perfect when scrutinized, but adjusting the lighting on someone’s face in realtime is an incredibly fun feature that the selfie-obsessed should adore.

On the video side, the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus also boost high-speed video capture to 240 frames per second at 1080P HD, and a new Apple-designed hardware video encoder designed to reduce the times of renders, improve video quality, and reduce file sizes.

So what’s it going to cost you this upgrade cycle? You’ll be able to pre-order the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus starting this Friday, September 15 for $699 for the 64GB base iPhone 8 (or $849 for 256GB), and $799 for the 64GB base iPhone 8 Plus (or $949 for 256GB).

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks PSNOUS thanked for this post
Likes PSNOUS liked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-13, 09:10 AM   #5127
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 46
Likes (Given): 179
Likes (Received): 216
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 6

I’m really going to have to weigh out the pros/cons between the iPhone 8+ 256G and the iPhone X 256G, before deciding which to purchase. Back in the day I generally bought mid-level storage and stuck to the 2 year contract upgrade model.Now that contract upgrades are a thing of the past, I hold on to my phone for a longer period of time (still using an iPhone 6 64G).

Initially the X was not very appealing, it seems obvious in some ways that this is a beta for these technologies. I imagine in the next two years, all iPhones will be full screen using the same technologies within some of the design kinks worked out.Right now, it feels like you a getting a more compact 8 Plus with some trendy features that you trade battery life for over the plus.

However, with a new baby this year… I would like some of the features I have so far skipped so I’m not likely to wait another year or two.That leaves me with my current choice… made harder by the fact that I didn’t plan to upgrade until Christmas so both phones theoretically will be available then and in 256G size are within $100 of each other.

The only nagging thought from keeping my on the 8+ train is that, the X technology will likely be the new standard and if I’m keeping this phone for 4+ years… do I want my new phone to already be old tech?

Last edited by CosmosM3; 2017-09-13 at 09:12 AM..
CosmosM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-13, 10:30 AM   #5128
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosM3 View Post
I’m really going to have to weigh out the pros/cons between the iPhone 8+ 256G and the iPhone X 256G, before deciding which to purchase. Back in the day I generally bought mid-level storage and stuck to the 2 year contract upgrade model.Now that contract upgrades are a thing of the past, I hold on to my phone for a longer period of time (still using an iPhone 6 64G).

Initially the X was not very appealing, it seems obvious in some ways that this is a beta for these technologies. I imagine in the next two years, all iPhones will be full screen using the same technologies within some of the design kinks worked out.Right now, it feels like you a getting a more compact 8 Plus with some trendy features that you trade battery life for over the plus.

However, with a new baby this year… I would like some of the features I have so far skipped so I’m not likely to wait another year or two.That leaves me with my current choice… made harder by the fact that I didn’t plan to upgrade until Christmas so both phones theoretically will be available then and in 256G size are within $100 of each other.

The only nagging thought from keeping my on the 8+ train is that, the X technology will likely be the new standard and if I’m keeping this phone for 4+ years… do I want my new phone to already be old tech?
the X just has Face ID, the prettier screen, and some gimmicky shit like making emoji's move with your face. All of the specs and hardwhere are the same between the two. Face ID is a crap shoot as to whether it will work well (it wasn't demo'd at KeyNote, so it doesn't actually work right now is how I read that) and if there are annoying limitations like you having to hold it straight up to your face, have to hold your face in a similar fashion (can't be smiling), etc. you might suffer from buyer's remorse. I think it's too bad they removed touch ID; fingerprint unlock is so convenient.

IMO, the only reason to spend the extra money for the X is if you have a bunch of cash laying around you don't care about and REALLY want it because the screen looks so cool. That's the only thing is a certain benefit right now about the X (unless you're really into making emoji's move with your face or putting a dinosaur in your pictures!)
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-13, 10:41 AM   #5129
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
the X just has Face ID, the prettier screen, and some gimmicky shit like making emoji's move with your face. All of the specs and hardwhere are the same between the two. Face ID is a crap shoot as to whether it will work well (it wasn't demo'd at KeyNote, so it doesn't actually work right now is how I read that) and if there are annoying limitations like you having to hold it straight up to your face, have to hold your face in a similar fashion (can't be smiling), etc. you might suffer from buyer's remorse. I think it's too bad they removed touch ID; fingerprint unlock is so convenient.

IMO, the only reason to spend the extra money for the X is if you have a bunch of cash laying around you don't care about and REALLY want it because the screen looks so cool. That's the only thing is a certain benefit right now about the X (unless you're really into making emoji's move with your face or putting a dinosaur in your pictures!)
They did use face id at the reveal, the reason it didn't work the first time is the test phone was likely reset prior to the demonstration and similar to touch id when a phone is first turned on you still have to use a passcode for the initial unlock. The backup phone did respond to his face. That being said I do have the same concerns, as there are lots of time I want to unlock my phone while not being in a position to look at it.

I certainly don't have tons of money, but as I'm still on a iPhone 6 it's getting close to upgrade time and if I'm set on an 8+ with 256G then we are talking about a $100 difference between the 8+ and the X... if I'm going to be keeping the phone as long as the 6 it becomes negligible.... I'm more concerned with regretting not have the OLED screen.
Unread 2017-09-13, 11:01 AM   #5130
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
They did use face id at the reveal, the reason it didn't work the first time is the test phone was likely reset prior to the demonstration and similar to touch id when a phone is first turned on you still have to use a passcode for the initial unlock. The backup phone did respond to his face. That being said I do have the same concerns, as there are lots of time I want to unlock my phone while not being in a position to look at it.

I certainly don't have tons of money, but as I'm still on a iPhone 6 it's getting close to upgrade time and if I'm set on an 8+ with 256G then we are talking about a $100 difference between the 8+ and the X... if I'm going to be keeping the phone as long as the 6 it becomes negligible.... I'm more concerned with regretting not have the OLED screen.
The difference is $200 between the 8+ ($950) and the iPhone X ($1,150).

If I were you and that cost doesn't scare you away, wait a month or two after release and see what the reviews are like on the X and go from there.

(you're right though, I was thinking of wireless charging not being demo'd... I read KeyNote stream; I wasn't able to watch it).

Last edited by Keboh; 2017-09-13 at 11:08 AM..
Unread 2017-09-13, 11:09 AM   #5131
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
The difference is $200 between the 8+ ($950) and the iPhone X ($1,150).

If I were you and that cost doesn't scare you away, wait a month or two after release and see what the reviews are like on the X and go from there.
It must have been late when I was looking up pricing... I don't even need to wait for reviews. The 8+ at $200 cheaper makes the most sense for me.
Unread 2017-09-13, 11:12 AM   #5132
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
It must have been late when I was looking up pricing... I don't even need to wait for reviews. The 8+ at $200 cheaper makes the most sense for me.
Of course, there is always the Pixel 2 coming out soon...

...wait, which thread am I in again?
Unread 2017-09-13, 11:19 AM   #5133
CosmosM3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Of course, there is always the Pixel 2 coming out soon...

...wait, which thread am I in again?
I don't doubt that other phones are as good or better... but I'm most comfortable with iOS and have enough family on that it makes the most sense for me.

To someone who isn't as concerned or likes Android the S8 is much more compelling at it's price point.
Unread 2017-09-13, 11:27 AM   #5134
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I don't doubt that other phones are as good or better... but I'm most comfortable with iOS and have enough family on that it makes the most sense for me.

To someone who isn't as concerned or likes Android the S8 is much more compelling at it's price point.
I don't want to thread jack but...

I just bought the S8. I am returning it tomorrow. I'm going to go back to my old brick, Nexus 5x and wait it out until the Pixel 2 comes out. If that doesn't tickle my fancy, I'll get a LG v30... but I have a feeling i'll be getting the Google phone.

Not that it matters, as you want an Apple phone anyways. There's nothing wrong with them at all... I tried iOS and it wasn't for me, but it wasn't because it was inherently bad
Unread 2017-09-13, 12:18 PM   #5135
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 58
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

My Note 8 arrived yesterday. Half off with S7 trade in was good enough to make the deal for me. I like it so far.
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-09-20, 12:22 PM   #5136
gmzvip23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 43
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

Need a new charging cable for iPhone 6. Anyone recommend any brands or something better then oem?
Unread 2017-09-20, 12:23 PM   #5137
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzvip23 View Post
Need a new charging cable for iPhone 6. Anyone recommend any brands or something better then oem?
amazon basics