Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2014-08-25, 01:35 PM   #1
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like
Default Tankless water heater?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Saw this come across my deal thing on reader and its a lot cheaper than other models. I had considered one of these in the past but cost was always an issue.

But even if it doesnt save me much (if any) on utilities I am now, in my new house, curious if it wouldnt make it any worse. Im already running a 240v electric model in my garage and it takes up a decent amount of space. If this could provide plenty of hot water and not make my bills worse I am thinking this might be awesome for me. I could swap them out and use the space for a tool chest or bench.
Ryan Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-08-25, 01:42 PM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 688
Likes (Given): 337
Likes (Received): 3944
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Wow, I always thought they were in the 2k+ range which is 4-5 times the cost of a tank...but this is right around the same price....I'd be tempted to get this too just so we don't run out which we frequently do now.

Keep us informed if you go through with this.
Unread 2014-08-25, 01:55 PM   #3
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at it, that is a good deal as the smaller unit is usually more and just some reviews looks like its a good unit. That is the biggest unit, at 4.27 GPM for +50 degrees. That should be enough to keep us fine in a house full of people, but with just Jennifer and I it would spend most time idle.

I need to look at my service. I don't recall if mine is 200 or 150. The panel is in the garage as well so if I need to run more circuits to support the breaker it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Would probably just have them EMT it, its a garage.

But man, even if it took 8 years to pay off, the idea of getting rid of that massive water heater in my garage would be huge. Between the two cars, 3 motorcycles, 3 bicycles, trash/recycling bins, tools and gardening shit space is at a premium. Right now the heater is partially enclosed in a walled 3'6" square space. That is big enough for a lighted workbench and tool storage.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2014-08-25 at 01:59 PM..
Unread 2014-08-26, 09:09 AM   #4
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

No dice for me, at least not cheaply. Panel wont support the demand as-is, I would need to upgrade my service and get a bigger panel.

Edit: Well looking this may be overkill anyway. Going to do some measurements and see how much flow I have. I might be fine with the 18 model (according to their charts I should be more than fine but, you know, trust no one).

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2014-08-28 at 01:52 PM..
Unread 2014-09-02, 02:05 PM   #5
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 168
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 825
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Looking at it, that is a good deal as the smaller unit is usually more and just some reviews looks like its a good unit. That is the biggest unit, at 4.27 GPM for +50 degrees. That should be enough to keep us fine in a house full of people, but with just Jennifer and I it would spend most time idle.

I need to look at my service. I don't recall if mine is 200 or 150. The panel is in the garage as well so if I need to run more circuits to support the breaker it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Would probably just have them EMT it, its a garage.

But man, even if it took 8 years to pay off, the idea of getting rid of that massive water heater in my garage would be huge. Between the two cars, 3 motorcycles, 3 bicycles, trash/recycling bins, tools and gardening shit space is at a premium. Right now the heater is partially enclosed in a walled 3'6" square space. That is big enough for a lighted workbench and tool storage.
I would love to be able to create some extra space in my sub-basement. A tankless hot water heater would help a lot
Unread 2014-09-02, 03:25 PM   #6
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like, depending on capacity, you just need one or 3 big breakers. Its a bummer they dont make an 70-80amp version that would work on two breakers in a 150panel home. Else i would be home free.

But now it looks like I would need to live with the 18 model (which would PROBABLY work, but be the minimum spec) or change the service to fit the 24 model, which is enough for a massive house. I might just go with the 18, we just wouldn't really be able to run two showers concurrently.
Unread 2014-09-02, 03:28 PM   #7
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 688
Likes (Given): 337
Likes (Received): 3944
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I have a 200 amp panel....is that enough?
Unread 2014-09-02, 04:36 PM   #8
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I have a 200 amp panel....is that enough?
Yeah, its the recommended spec for their top models. THey require 3 dual breakers though, so space might be an issue depending on panel size. The highest model is like 125 amps and it only uses that much if you max it out, so as long as you arent running an angle grinder while 3 people are taking showers at the same time and the wife is doing dishes with the dishwasher running you are good.

Honestly, in a house that is CCFL or LED you would likely be fine with a 150 (there are tons of reviews where people put them in 150s) so amp im fine, I just dont have enough space for the other two breakers (all 40 amps, the mid one needs one and the bigger ones both need 3).

That is for electric though. Is your current heater electric or gas. If gas then there are gas models that dont have the same needs electrically speaking.
Unread 2014-09-03, 05:37 AM   #9
NachO_SRT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 73
Likes (Given): 103
Likes (Received): 332
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 6

you will need a 150 service minimum and that is if the rest of your house is low use.

that thing is nice, 3 9KW heaters in series - full load based modulation, and that is as cheap as I have seen them. the catch is 8ga wire and 3 X 40A breakers. WOW. Just over 110A total draw.

Otherwise, nice find.
http://www.kcsr.org/signaturepics/sigpic826_1.gif
Quote:
Science will fly you to Mars, Religion will fly you into a building - N. Ruth
Nemo me impune lacessit
NachO_SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-03, 06:49 AM   #10
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it seems ridiculous but since its only running when you're using water its a good deal (and only runs the number of heaters needed even when running). Since its just my girlfriend and I 95% of the time I would imagine we would save a TON of energy.

Im gonna wait until the dead of winter and measure my incoming water temps. If they are high enough (right now they are much higher than they are saying the averages are) then I might be able to get away with one of the middle models. They are actually suggesting the 18 for my climate but I would rather have overkill if I could. The panel and the heater are like 10 feet apart so running extra circuits isnt a big deal.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2014-09-03 at 06:51 AM..
Unread 2014-09-03, 08:37 AM   #11
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 191
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1295
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

If you have gas, that is the way to go on the instant heaters.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-09-03, 08:52 AM   #12
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 331
Likes (Received): 656
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
If you have gas, that is the way to go on the instant heaters.
I've looked around at tankless gas water heaters, but it seems like they all have special water line fittings and weird flue requirements that make it more difficult to install. I'd love the extra space in the utility room though.
ForcFed93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-15, 08:59 AM   #13
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 908
Thanks (Received): 327
Likes (Given): 6245
Likes (Received): 2694
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 127

Anyone wind up installing and see what the real costs savings were?
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-15, 11:53 AM   #14
bwiencek

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Anyone wind up installing and see what the real costs savings were?
I installed a Rheem condensing 98% efficency hot water heater about a year and a half ago after one of the tanks started leaking - not sure I've saved a TON of money but the endless hot water sure is nice with 4 girls in the house who tended to use up the water between showering, laundry and dishwasher. (I think it's this one: http://www.rheem.com/product/condens...ct-vent-indoor )

With the direct PVC vent I had the option to pull combustion air from outside and then vent up and out using the existing flue - since it didn't require any of the "special" venting that some of the less efficient ones do (i.e double-wall stainless vents, etc.) the retrofit was pretty simple. Just have to read the manual as a couple of installers didn't know how to install them and didn't want to so I ended up doing it myself and it was super simple (if you've ever done any plumbing repair at all... if not you can still use slip-on connections and not solder anything but it costs a bit more)

Would I do it again - absolutely - but only if there is a need to (i.e. new construction or leaking water tank.) - I don't think there is enough savings in the short term to pull a modern working unit out and put one in. I also think this would be perfect for a vacation home/lake house or somewhere that sits empty 80% of the time - in that case I'd swap it immediately.
Unread 2017-04-20, 01:03 PM   #15
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

I installed the eco-smart 27 version in our lake house when the propane 30 gal tank shit the bed.

The wiring was super easy, as long as you have room in the panel. Us and all of our guests can take showers without worrying about running out of water.

Hardest thing to get used to is the fact that it takes a min or so to get hot water if you havent used the hot water in a while.

Last edited by sleek98; 2017-04-20 at 01:06 PM..
sleek98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-20, 01:07 PM   #16
BMc

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 100
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

I have had a State (made by Takagi) for a year and a half now however I haven't really been keeping an eye on if it saved me any gas because I added a gas oven/range at the same time and that gets used at least once a day. The unlimited hot water has been badass though. I went for the biggest one they had which was 199,000 btu and my old tanked one was only like 45,000. We can run the washing machine, dishwasher and a couple showers at the same time and never have to worry about running out.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mild83 liked this post

Last edited by BMc; 2017-04-20 at 03:36 PM..
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-21, 12:28 AM   #17
error

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 339
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 23

$375 on eBay. Almost sold out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ECOSMART...0AAOSwj0NUkgse