Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-03-29, 12:07 PM   #10751
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

’s finally here! The Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus have been fully unveiled for the world to see. These 2 represent Samsung’s next big evolution in smartphone design, and boy is it a massive step for them.

They ditch home buttons, stretch the screens to unimaginable lengths without making them unwieldy beasts, and they come with a powerful new virtual assistant who is cool enough to have his very own hardware button.
And they’re Samsung phones, so you know they’re going to be beasts in all the other typical areas, too. We’ll have photos, video, impressions, comparison, and more coverage all throughout the day, and we’ll be updating this article with links to all that coverage as soon as it’s up, so keep checking back!
For now, though, look ahead to the press release for all the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus information you crave.
Press Release
Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ Deliver Stunning Infinity Display, Connected Ecosystem of Services and Intelligent Interface On sale in the United States on April 21; preorders begin March 30 with exclusive offer

NEW YORK, NY – MARCH 29, 2017Samsung Electronics America Inc., introduces the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+, which push the boundaries of traditional smartphones with seamless hardware design and a variety of new service offerings. With a stunning Infinity Display for immersive viewing experiences and the introduction of new services and apps, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ bring a new level of functionality and convenience, opening up a galaxy of possibilities.
“The Samsung Galaxy S8 ushers in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” said DJ Koh, President of Mobile Communications Business, Samsung Electronics. “The Galaxy S8 is our testament to regaining your trust by redefining what’s possible in safety and marks a new milestone in Samsung’s smartphone legacy.”

See and Experience More

The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ build on Samsung’s heritage of creating stunning designs and beautiful, functional devices. Available in 5.8-inch (Galaxy S and 6.2-inch models (Galaxy S8+), the Infinity Display and near bezel-less design form a smooth, continuous surface without harsh angles. The result is a large display, not a large phone. The compact design enables comfortable one-handed operation and features Corning® Gorilla® Glass 5 on both the front and back.
The Galaxy Foundation

In addition to the new design innovations, Samsung continues to build on the Galaxy foundation, delivering cutting-edge technology, including an advanced camera and enhanced performance that has been the hallmark of Galaxy flagship smartphones.
  • Premium Camera: The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are equipped with an advanced 8MP F1.7 Smart autofocus front camera and 12MP F1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera for the best low-light, zoom and anti-blur photos with enhanced image processing1.
  • Powerful Performance: Packing powerful performance and connectivity, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ feature the industry’s first 10 nm chip, enabling heightened speed and efficiency.
  • Robust Entertainment: As the world’s first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as MOBILE HDR PREMIUMTM, Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ let you see much richer colors and more immersive experiences while watching your favorite shows. In addition, the devices offer next-level gaming experiences with vivid and superior graphic technology, as well as Game Pack, featuring top game titles, including select titles supported by the Vulkan API.
  • Mobile Security: Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are built on Samsung Knox, a defense-grade security platform2. In addition, the devices will offer a selection of biometric authentication, including a fingerprint scanner and iris scanner so users can select the method that works best for them.
The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will also come with the foundational Galaxy features that our customers have come to love, including:
  • IP68 water and dust resistance
  • MicroSD support up to 256GB
  • Always-on display
  • Fast and wireless charging capabilities

A New Way to Interact with Your Phone

Bixby is an intelligent interface that will help users get more out of their phone. With the new Bixby button, you will be able to conveniently access Bixby and navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch and text commands. Contextual awareness capabilities enable Bixby to offer personalized help based on what it continues to learn about the user’s interests, situation and location. Users can easily shop, search for images and get details about nearby places with Bixby’s image recognition technology.
Beyond the Phone Experience

The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ power a robust portfolio of products and services, elevating the experience for premiere mobile productivity and connectivity.
The Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ are at the center of the new Gear VR with Controller, powered by Oculus. The new controller enables combined motion sensors, touchpad controls and a dedicated trigger, offering an even more intuitive, convenient and expressive way to interact and immerse in Gear VR. The new smartphones will also connect to the new Gear 360, capable of capturing up to 4K 360-degree videos, 15MP photos and 2K live streaming.
Leveraging the processing power of the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ for enhanced productivity, Samsung DeX is a unique solution that transforms these Android-based smartphones into secure desktops. With DeX, users can easily display and edit data from their phone, making working from a smartphone on the go faster and smarter.
In addition, Samsung Connect simplifies smart IoT device management. With Samsung Connect, users can easily activate Samsung and SmartThings IoT-enabled devices through a quick three-step configuration process and manage all connected devices through one integrated app.

U.S. Availability

In the U.S., the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Arctic Silver. Pre-orders for both Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will begin at 12:01 EDT on March 30, 20173. AT&T, Cricket Wireless, Sprint, Straight Talk Wireless, T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Verizon Wireless will carry the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ in stores beginning April 21.
In addition, the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ will be available at all Best Buy stores as well as BestBuy.com, ShopSamsung app, Target and Walmart.
Gear VR with Controller will be available beginning April 21, 2017 for $129.99. The Controller will also be sold separately beginning April 21, 2017 for $39.99.
Consumers who pre-order a Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ will receive a free Gear VR headset with Controller and Oculus content4. A limited edition premium bundle which adds a 256GB memory card and Bluetooth headphones by AKG will also be available for $99. Additionally, consumers who purchase Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+ will be eligible for Platinum Experience Status with Samsung Rewards5. These promotions will last for a limited time and only while supplies last. Terms and conditions apply. Visit samsung.com/us/promotions and samsung.com/platinumexperience for more information.
For additional product information, please visit http://news.samsung.com/us or www.samsung.com/galaxy.
Samsung Care

Coinciding with the launch of Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ is the introduction of Samsung Premium Care – the highest level of Samsung customer care designed to provide support to consumers.
Premium Care provides one-on-one, 24/7 technical support and assistance for everything from the set-up of your device to device training to hand delivery of a replacement should something happen to your phone with our extended warranty. Samsung Premium Care is free for the first 30 days with your new Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+6. For more information, please visit: http://www.samsung.com/us/owners/protection-plus/.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-29, 10:22 PM   #10752
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 111
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 891
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 21

Samsung knocked this one out of the park in terms of design. It's the first s-series phone I would consider getting. I hope the Note 8 is even better.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-29, 11:00 PM   #10753
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 58
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Samsung knocked this one out of the park in terms of design. It's the first s-series phone I would consider getting. I hope the Note 8 is even better.
Ditto. Been on an S7 since my Note 5 was rendered useless to insurance. Black note 5 wasnt available and I didnt want gold. Thought the S7 would be good. I miss the Note. Really hope the Note 8 is good, and soon.
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-30, 08:41 AM   #10754
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 257
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 2758
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Given): 140
Dislikes (Received): 64

I didn't think they were going to call it the Note 8, mostly for PR reasoning? Did that change?

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-30, 09:22 AM   #10755
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 58
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Nothing confirmed from Samsung that I've seen. Just code name, leaks, and rumors.
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-30, 09:23 AM   #10756
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Note series releases roughly 6 months after the S series. We probably won't know for a while.

Last edited by Wallace; 2017-03-30 at 09:39 AM..
Unread 2017-03-30, 09:25 AM   #10757
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

There were talks of retiring or not using the "NOTE" name so as well as limiting the amount of devices they release per year after the 7

Unread 2017-04-09, 08:24 PM   #10758
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Supposed Galaxy Note 8 Shown With S Pen In Real-Life Image

A real-life image depicting what’s said to be the upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 8 surfaced online on Saturday, showing not only the front side of the device but also what’s supposed to be its new S Pen. No other information has been provided by the Chinese source, though the legitimacy of the photograph that you can see above is somewhat doubtful seeing how the device almost looks like a carbon copy of the recently announced Galaxy S8 Plus. While Samsung is expected to stick with its bezel-less design language and the 18.5:9 aspect ratio in the foreseeable future, the newly leaked device looks almost too similar to the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus. Regardless, the design of the handset also corresponds to the one depicted in an alleged concept image of the Galaxy Note 8 that surfaced online earlier this week, though the legitimacy of that image can also be doubted for similar reasons.
Provided this truly is the Galaxy Note 8, it seems that Samsung will not only continue pursuing the design philosophy outlined above but will also equip its upcoming phablet with a new physical button that will be used for activating the Bixby artificial intelligence (AI) assistant by default. Bixby is also referenced in the newly leaked photo seeing how the device in question is shown running the Bixby app for the first time, with the Chinese writing prompting users to start using Samsung’s voice-enabled companion. In related rumors, the South Korean consumer electronics manufacturer allegedly started firmware development for the Galaxy Note 8 as the device is scheduled to enter mass production in the second half of the year.

Other reports on the Galaxy Note 8 have been scarce, though industry watchers expect the phablet to be powered by the Exynos 8895 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 system-on-chip (SoC) in certain territories, much like the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8 Plus are. Other rumored specs include 6GB of RAM, up to 256GB of internal storage, and a possible 4K display. Just like its discontinued predecessor and the Galaxy Note 5, the Galaxy Note 8 will likely be released worldwide in August, so more details regarding the device are bound to follow soon.

Unread 2017-04-09, 11:59 PM   #10759
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 683
Likes (Given): 326
Likes (Received): 3930
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I'm so sick of these fragile ass phones that can't take a hip height drop without shattering under the guise of premium build, I'm going to hold off and see what motorola does for its z force droid successor. They built a bad ass phone there and if they can follow it up with a decent alternative I'll drop Samsung and LG in a heartbeat.
Unread 2017-04-10, 07:52 AM   #10760
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 3394
Likes (Received): 1004
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm so sick of these fragile ass phones that can't take a hip height drop without shattering under the guise of premium build, I'm going to hold off and see what motorola does for its z force droid successor. They built a bad ass phone there and if they can follow it up with a decent alternative I'll drop Samsung and LG in a heartbeat.
even with a case? I haven't broken a phone that I've had a case on in years, and that's with plenty of drops. the slim, clear case I have on my pixel xl is tiny and it still shows off the bright blue phone. I've dropped it a dozen times without issue.
Unread 2017-04-10, 08:10 AM   #10761
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
even with a case? I haven't broken a phone that I've had a case on in years, and that's with plenty of drops. the slim, clear case I have on my pixel xl is tiny and it still shows off the bright blue phone. I've dropped it a dozen times without issue.
Yup...more the wife than myself but now with waterproofing, you crack a front OR rear glass, you're looking at 400 to repair and 200 to replace through insurance. She broke her s7e in a case a couple months ago as it hit the edge of the glass just right.

Moto checked off all the right boxes with the z force, just came out too late for me to have picked it up.

Now that it's aged, it's too old for me to buy but their successor should be announced in a couple months.
Unread 2017-04-10, 08:11 AM   #10762
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 257
Thanks (Received): 176
Likes (Given): 2758
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Given): 140
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I loved Motorola under Google ownership, but under Lenovo I got away from them.

Too many horror stories on the /r/motox forum of awful customer service, and my MXPE was starting to lag and have poor battery life 8 months in or so.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-15, 10:46 PM   #10763
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone is using android wear, please do not upgrade to wear 2.0. It's horrible. Completely hate my watch using 2.0
Unread 2017-04-16, 11:36 AM   #10764
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4361
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

I don't know what my watch is on. OG Moto 360

Edit found it. 1.4

Last edited by Karlen; 2017-04-16 at 11:42 AM..
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-17, 08:12 PM   #10765
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Essential’s Phone On GFXBench Lists Nougat & Other Specs

Essential‘s phone on GFXBench lists Android Nougat software along with other specifications which seemingly confirms what was already being rumored about the device. The results of the benchmark listing which as stated above are over at GFXBench, are not brand new as the listing was submitted back in December of 2016, which means that some of the specs could have certainly changed since then and there is every possibility that could be the case now that it’s halfway through April. Some things are likely to have stayed the same of course, such as the Android Nougat software as the phone could very well be out before Google releases the next version of Android.
The listing also displays that the Essential FIH-PM1 (the phone’s model number) comes with a display that carries a 2560 x 1312 resolution, as well as a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 CPU and Adreno 540 GPU, which means the first device from Essential will come with the most powerful mobile processor that Qualcomm has put out to date, a CPU which is also found in a couple of other top-end flagships from brands like Samsung. The RAM is listed at 4GB while the internal storage is listed at what is likely to be 16GB, though 16GB seems a bit low in this day and age so it’s possible that the internal storage will be different for a production-ready phone.

Both the front-facing and rear-facing cameras are capable of 4K video capture though the sensor quality is certainly different, with the front-facing camera using an 8-megapixel sensor while the rear-facing camera uses a 12-megapixel sensor. While not all of the specs are listed on in the results on GFXBench, the device has shown up over at Geekbench as well having surfaced around the middle of January mentioning the same details. None of these specs are confirmed of course, but it does give users something to go off of. What is still unclear at this point even from a rumor perspective is the battery, actual screen size, and things like Bluetooth version as well as what the body will be made out of. There is also no time frame on a release nor are there pricing details which have been mentioned.

Unread 2017-04-17, 08:16 PM   #10766
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Leak: New Case Images Confirm HTC U ‘Ocean’ Port Placements

A new set of images regarding HTC’s unannounced “Ocean” device has hit the internet. These images are of a purported case for the device and possibly give a good indication of the handset’s configuration. As well as confirming how the various sensors and ports will be arranged, the images also appear to dispel at least one prior report about features the device would come with – hardware buttons. Unfortunately whether or not today’s leak is completely accurate will not become clear until the company officially announces the smartphone.
The first thing to note about the alleged case and associated configuration is that the placement of ports, speakers, and other typical smartphone bits bears a striking resemblance to other HTC devices, such as the HTC 10. The device is set to release without a 3.5 mm headphone jack – with the company opting for USB Type-C based audio output instead – but there is still a port at the top of the device. As reported on April 2, the flagship is set to have “3D audio,” so the top port is likely for the left-oriented speaker. Meanwhile, the bottom-firing, right-oriented speaker port is visible at the bottom of the device. Charging and mic ports appear to maintain a similar configuration for the Ocean compared to prior devices. Although another noticeable change is that the flash for the camera appears to be moved to the opposite side of the sensor.

HTC’s upcoming flagship was previously expected to be ditching buttons altogether, in favor of a touch-based solution in combination with contextual user interface queues. However, that may not be the case after all, if the current leaked images are anything to go by. The case has well-defined button protrusions along what would be the left-hand side of the device – when viewed from the front. That may come as a disappointment to anybody hoping for something a bit more revolutionary. Although it is possible that the device will make use of both the rumored sensors and hardware buttons for those who prefer that sort of thing. Not to mention, it bears repeating that this leak, as with other leaks, could end up meaning nothing at all when it comes to the final design of HTC’s unannounced flagship.

Unread 2017-04-17, 09:28 PM   #10767
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4361
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

My step counter is fucking wonky on my devices.

Nexus 5X - 19,255 and 3.59 miles
Moto 360 - 17,768 and 5.47 miles

Why are they so far off from each other?
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-20, 05:24 PM   #10768
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

There will be no carrier logos on the Samsung Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus

When you buy an Android smartphone from one of the major US carriers, the chances are good that it will contain a small logo with that company’s branding somewhere on its case. However, it appears that Samsung has managed to avoid that rather annoying issue with the new Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint have all elected to not place their logos on the front or the back of the phones.

Best Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus cases

It's very possible Samsung made some behind-the-scenes deals with the US carriers so that all of the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus unit look the same, at least on the outside.
While there’s not much room for such a logo on the edge-to-edge display found on the front of the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus, there’s certainly plenty of room for carriers to brand those phones with its logo on the back. Indeed, as The Verge points out, AT&T and Verizon are notorious for slapping their names or symbols on most of the phones they sell to customers. It’s very possible Samsung made some behind-the-scenes deals with the US carriers so that all of the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus unit look the same, at least on the outside.

Of course, when you decide to buy one of these phones from your carrier of choice, you will still get to see its logo as part of the start up screens. The phones will each have their own set of preinstalled apps from those companies as well. So while the physical Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus will all look alike, you will still be subjected to specific carrier content when you actually use it.

Unread 2017-04-20, 07:55 PM   #10769
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

So despite my complaints about the fragility of the device I went ahead and ordered an S8. It arrived today and it's without a doubt the most gorgeous phone out there. It's slightly smaller than the s7e I was using which is welcomed. The finger print sensor is perfectly located for this sized phone. The S8+ would be harder to reach but this one is right where I'd want it. I love that it wakes with just the finger, like the other nexus devices. The screen is gorgeous and for once, touchwiz doesn't look like ass. I think I'll even stick with the launcher.

What sold me were the promotions. Gear VR and controller + AKG Y50BT headphones + 256gb Evo microSD card for 99 bucks.
Unread 2017-04-20, 08:27 PM   #10770
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. If you haven't messed with Samsung phones in a while you will be pleasantly surprised. They really are great.
Unread 2017-04-21, 11:42 AM   #10771
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

This is how much it costs to make a Samsung Galaxy S8

As you probably know, the Galaxy S8 is more expensive to buy than its predecessor. According to a report by IHS Markit, the reason for the price hike is quite simple: it costs Samsung more money to make the Galaxy S8 than the S7.

The bill of materials (BOM) for the 64 GB version of the flagship device totals exactly $301.60. When the manufacturing expenses are added ($5.9), the total cost increases to $307.50. This means the actual cost of manufacturing a Galaxy S8 is $43.34 higher than that of the S7. It’s also higher than the total production cost of the Galaxy S7 Edge by $36.29.

The report doesn’t state the price of each component of the device but does mention that the NAND flash memory and DRAM cost. $41.50 combined, while the 3,000 mAh battery comes in at $4.50.

See also:

The difference between the production cost and the cheapest retail price of the Galaxy S8 — $720 — is exactly $412.5. However, this isn’t the amount of money Samsung makes every time it sells a unit of its flagship device. We also have to take the shipping and marketing expenses into account as well as various import fees in different countries. Additionally, retailers and carriers take their cut of every sale. There’s also the cost of research and development – Samsung has one of the highest R&D budgets in the industry – $13 billion in 2016 alone – and some of that money went into developing technologies like the iris scanner and edge display. Finally, a large administrative overhead (expenses and salaries of executives and managers) has to be taken into account.

Unread 2017-04-23, 05:45 PM   #10772
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

The Galaxy S8 is evidence of Samsung’s changing attitude to bloatware

Remember back when we all used to have a field day bashing Samsung bloatware? There was sooo much of it, you couldn’t disable or uninstall it, and most things duplicated stuff that Google already did perfectly well (and also pre-installed on Galaxy phones). But starting with the Galaxy S6, Samsung started to change its attitude toward bloatware, and the Galaxy S8 benefits greatly from the continuation of that tendency.
ious interi...

But more to the point, we benefit greatly. As much as we understand how lucrative these software deals can be to smartphone manufacturers, none of us really want bloatware clogging up our phones. In the past you could barely uninstall any, having to settle for disabling a few and making your peace with most, but times have changed.

The 32 GB Galaxy S7 had 8 GB of storage taken up by its ROM and pre-loaded apps. The 64 GB Galaxy S8 in my hands – even without any carrier bloat – admittedly had 12 GB used by the time I peeled the plastic off. But even though I’ve already lost a large chunk of my internal storage to the system it doesn’t feel so bad because the apps that are on the S8 are largely removable.

Pre-loaded apps may not ultimately take up much space, but to have the ability to get rid of most of them almost makes you forget about the rest of the space you’ll never get to reclaim. Of course, pre-installed apps you don’t want, can’t remove and can’t disable are also a drain on your system resources, so any time you can uninstall or disable them, the better.

Camera
ILCE-6000

Focal Length
35mm

Aperture
f/4

Exposure
1/80s

ISO

The Galaxy S8 has 37 pre-installed apps (at least on my unlocked international variant). The Galaxy S6 had 50 apps, not including carrier bloat. By my count there’s only a dozen I can’t uninstall or disable on the S8, and some of those are rather useful like the dialer.
You can still get rid of the few remaining apps Samsung won't already let you disable or uninstall.
Even for those of you suffering from extensive carrier bloat in the US, there are still steps you can take to get rid of the few remaining apps Samsung won’t already let you disable. You simply have to decide if ridding yourself of them is worth $1.50. If it is, you’ll also be able to remove future bloat on your next Galaxy phone. Not uninstall, sadly, but disable any and all apps you want to. And it doesn’t even require root.

You won’t get the storage space back, but you will block them from chewing system resources and you’ll no longer see them in your app drawer. All you need to do is fork out for an app called BK Package Disabler, which you can do via the button below. Install it, grant it the necessary permissions and swipe to the ‘Bloatware’ tab in the app.

Camera
ILCE-6000

Focal Length
35mm

Aperture
f/1.8

Exposure
1/60s

ISO

Tap the check mark next to the apps you want disabled and that’s it (don’t just go crazy, look for the specific apps in the app drawer you want removed). You’ll no longer see them in your app drawer and they won’t be able to run in the background. If something breaks or you want the app back for some reason, simply relaunch the BK Package Disabler app and uncheck the box next to the apps you want resurrected.

While it’s unfortunate we still have to resort to paid apps to remove everything we want to on a phone that cost us an arm and a leg, the base situation has at least improved from years past. On my S8 I can uninstall or disable 25 apps straight out of the box, and pay $1.50 to disable the rest. That may not quite be ideal, but it sure is better than it once was.

Unread 2017-04-25, 12:43 PM   #10773
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Samsung is planning to launch refurbished Galaxy Note 7 devices in South Korea at the end of June for around $250 cheaper than its original price.

The Galaxy Note 7 was a fantastic phone in many aspects: officially launched last August, Samsung’s sixth iteration of the Note series came with an elegant dual-curved display, Samsung’s signature S-Pen as well as an iris-scanner. Unfortunately, however, the South Korean electronics giant had to recall the device not just once, but twice due to a design flaw that led to self-combusting batteries.

Earlier this year, we started seeing reports that Samsung might be planning to re-launch the beloved Galaxy Note 7 in select markets, which Samsung eventually confirmed. It was just a day ago that we saw the official Wi-Fi certification for the device, and now, ETNews claims that the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 will officially be arriving in South Korea at the end of June.
The refurbished phablet – which could be called the Galaxy Note 7R – will be available through all major carriers in Korea: SKT, KT, and LG.
According to the report, the refurbished phablet – which could be called the Galaxy Note 7R – will be available through all major carriers in Korea: SKT, KT, and LG. The best part is that the device is expected to cost around 700,000 won or approximately $620. That’s significantly lower than the original launching price of 988,900 won which roughly translates to $870. Although these are not brand new devices per se, all of them have been refurbished by Samsung, meaning they should be in a “like-new” condition.

Just as we saw earlier, these refurbished units are likely to come with a smaller battery, possibly down to 3,200 mAh from 3,500 mAh found in the original, and if the Wi-Fi certification is accurate, they should be running Android 7.0 out of the box. However, other than that, the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 should be the same great phablet that we all loved (albeit for a very short period of time). Now, the question is whether consumers will be able to trust the Note brand – the exact same device, no less – that was so negatively publicized and whether this price cut will be enough of an incentive for them.

Despite this, Samsung is expected to go ahead with its current Galaxy Note 8 plans, and while a recent survey indicates that an overwhelming number of people would want to purchase a refurbished Galaxy Note 7 unit, it’s unlikely that the launch will affect Galaxy S8 sales.

Unfortunately, Samsung has made it clear that it has no plans to launch the refurbished Galaxy Note 7 in the US or Canada.

Would you be willing to buy a refurbished Galaxy Note 7 for $250 cheaper? Let us know by leaving a comment below!

(wonder if they will work in the US hmmm)

Unread 2017-04-25, 12:43 PM   #10774
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Pixel 2 devices will reportedly arrive with Snapdragon 835 chip

Google is set to spawn sequels to its popular Pixel and Pixel XL smartphones later this year. We’ve already seen what is believed to be their codenames, “Walleye” and “Muskie”, pop up, and now they’ve been spotted alongside a reference to Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 chip.

German tech site WinFuture.de recently found the Pixel codenames connected with CPU model number MSM8998 (the Snapdragon 835) in the Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code. Further, the “Taimen” codename was also linked to Qualcomm’s latest processor.

While it’s believed that Walleye and Muskie will represent direct successors to the Pixel and Pixel XL, current speculation suggests Taimen would be a new Pixel tablet (or a very large phone).

See also:

While you might expect that the latest Google flagships would house the latest Qualcomm processor, this news suggests that they will launch before a new premium arrival from the US chip manufacturer. The original Pixel and Pixel XL were equipped with a Snapdragon 821, a higher performing product than the Snapdragon 820 that appeared on the earlier flagships of 2016. This year, the new Snapdragon appeared only in the last few weeks with the Galaxy S8 after rumors of production delays; it looks like Google’s new Pixels won’t have the edge in the processor department.

Nothing is confirmed at this point and things may change in the run-up to the devices’ release. Regardless, Google has already confirmed that it is once again going down the “premium” route for its new Pixels this year, so I wouldn’t worry about performance.

Unread 2017-04-25, 02:37 PM   #10775
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 141
Likes (Given): 3394
Likes (Received): 1004
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

how easy is the fingerprint scanner to reach with each index finger? does it being on one side make it harder for one hand? that's my fav part about the pixel is unlocking easily with either hand. the s8 looks pretty fucking amazing though.

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat