Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2010-12-09, 03:58 PM   #2501
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 264
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 2839
Likes (Received): 1360
Dislikes (Given): 145
Dislikes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteFCTII View Post
Are there any good screenshot apps out there?
Also what browser is everyone using?
I use "shootme." You just turn it on, shake the phone, and it saves it.

And I'm still on the stock browser. Dolphin HD is pretty solid.

2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Stock Old Man Truck
1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS - Hipster Retro
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 05:07 PM   #2502
whiteFCTII

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 146
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 4

I guess i have to be rooted to use shootme?

Last edited by whiteFCTII; 2010-12-09 at 05:11 PM..
whiteFCTII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-09, 05:12 PM   #2503
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I guess i have to be rooted to use shootme?
Yeah, I guess I assumed you were.

There's no screenshot app that I know of for non-rooted phones.

You can screenshot via computer though I believe.

Unread 2010-12-09, 07:16 PM   #2504
whiteFCTII

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
Yeah, I guess I assumed you were.

There's no screenshot app that I know of for non-rooted phones.

You can screenshot via computer though I believe.
Yeah i haven't pulled the trigger on rooting yet. Phone is still fairly new aand I haven't researched enough on it.

Last edited by whiteFCTII; 2010-12-09 at 07:18 PM..
Unread 2010-12-09, 10:17 PM   #2505
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Yeah i haven't pulled the trigger on rooting yet. Phone is still fairly new aand I haven't researched enough on it.
What phone do you have?

Unread 2010-12-10, 02:57 PM   #2506
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Motorola Everest Honeycomb Homescreen Pictured, Specs Mentioned

You are looking at a homescreen picture for the Motorola Everest (allegedly), which is the 10″ tablet expected to be headed to Verizon as the “DROID” tablet some time in early 2011. The pic popped up on Mobile01 with a handful of specs from a user claiming to have fondled the device for over an hour. So what does this beauty have packed into it? An NVIDIA Tegra 2 processor, 2MP front camera, 5MP back camera, gyroscope, 32GB built-in storage plus an SD card slot. The Moto Tablet will also launch as an LTE device, which we’ve heard in the past.
Check out these high-res Motorola Everest pictures from earlier in the week to see what the device actually looks like. Pretty, right?

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-10, 03:17 PM   #2507
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

BioLock Coming Along Nicely, Biometric Authentication Not Far Off for Android

Now that front-facing cameras are all the rage, there is a bit more than just video conferencing that they can be useful for. A promising and interesting use of the now common hardware is biometric authentication, through eye and/or facial scanning as a mean to unlock a device or private files stored on the device. Blue Planet Apps has been working away on their own BioLock, and from the latest demo video they have offered up, it is coming along quite nicely.
So just what sort of uses could we expect? Here is what Blue Planet has to say about it (as well as talk for both consumer and enterprise versions):
“As for BioLock, it has many possibilities. We have ideas for a consumer and enterprise model, the consumer model will replace the lock screen, allow users to lock as much of the phone as possible, contacts, dialer, phone numbers, apps, etc…
The enterprise model is a whole nother beast, it connects to Microsoft Azure cloud, and does the authentication off the device, so the scan is taken, sent to the cloud, authenticated and sent back. It is currently designed to use a 1024bit Polymorphic Cipher which, should by some miracle someone intercepts the encrypted hash, is uncrackable. This is designed to be adapted into the end users applications, for example, a Banking app, or government email app that can encrypt messages before sending them (wikileaks would never have happened). Healthcare, etc… the list goes on and on.
We have some other ideas for this technology, as off shoots of BioLock, using the FFC (Front Facing camera) to scan a users face while playing a game and send targeted marketing, or for social media communication during gaming.
The end result is that with our smartphones and tablets rapidly replacing our desktops and laptops, most of our future financial and other secure transactions will be over mobile/wireless networks and will need much more robust security. Nothing is more secure or reliable than YOU. Iris being the MOST accurate, then Face. We are also going to add Voice verification in the consumer model of BioLock and users will have the option to choose one or a combination of options to lock down their device.
Blue Planet Apps is currently working very closely with Samsung to develop BioLock on Samsung devices, with the possible result being that Samsung will deploy it on all its devices as part of the AndroidOS. We have also been talking to Nokia for deployment of BioLock on the upcoming Meego platform and other platforms as well.”
No word on when exactly this sort of tech will come to the general public other than the above mention of Samsung and Nokia devices shipping with BioLock in the future, but we are positively giddy about the day we can play Mission: Impossible and go from lock screen to homescreen just by eyeing up that front-facing lens.
[via AndroidGuys]

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 1 Dislikes
Dislikes bmanthei disliked this post
Unread 2010-12-10, 03:29 PM   #2508
whiteFCTII

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
What phone do you have?
Droid X. Updating to 2.3.340 as i type this.

Unread 2010-12-11, 12:30 PM   #2509
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Remember the new, upgraded Android market we told you about last night? Well, now it appears that the APK has been ripped and posted for all to enjoy (or loath, depending on your personal feelings).
You can find it here and it brings with it all the UI changes and issues (15 minute refund limit) we discussed earlier. I should warn you that as of now, the APK we have only works for stock Android 2.2 devices. I have it working on both my stock Android 2.2 Nexus One and stock Android 2.2 G2.
Overall, I like it quite a bit, but still wish it had more discoverability. Hopefully we’ll see a few tweaks when the Market’s web interface rolls out(should that ever come to fruition). I should also let you know that many in the forum where this was discovered are reporting problems with it running on Cyanogen Mod 6.1, so those of you who have it might want to resist the temptation to install this. Oh, and it can be uninstalled quite easily from the application manager. Enjoy!
What does everyone think of the new Android Market?

Source: XDA-Developers

Tags:Android 2.2android marketplanetandroidxda-dev

Unread 2010-12-12, 11:50 AM   #2510
ksu_s13

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 49
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

PowerAMP Music Player (Trial)
by Max MP

It supports FLAC too.
ksu_s13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 01:31 PM   #2511
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

HTC Evo Shift 4G shows off its keyboard in its latest leaked photo

A regular poster over on Sprintusers.com, r0fl, just outed a crystal clear image of the upcoming HTC Evo Shift 4G and finally shows off its keyboard in glorious detail.
The phone is sporting a case which throws off the dimensions a little, but it’s a safe bet that if you have seen the T-Mobile G2 or Desire Z you have a pretty good feel for the size of the Evo Shift 4G.
This will have slightly more in common with the Desire Z as unlike the T-Mobile G2 it will feature Sense UI.
Other specs that have been rumored to date include:
  • 1 Ghz Snapdragon Processor
  • 3.7″ Super LCD
  • 800 x 480 resolution
  • 8MP Camera
  • Android 2.2 (Froyo)
  • WiMAX
A rumored launch date of January 6th has been floating around for awhile. I’m sure we have probably driven into your head sufficiently now that the 6th is the opening day of CES so we will unquestionably be seeing a lot of devices launched and announced that day.
While I find myself drawn more to the larger screen phones there is certainly a strong contingent in favor of the sub 4″ screens so hopefully this will please those that were looking for a more compact 4G experience than is offered by the Epic and Evo.
I think a big deciding factor for this device will be how Sprint decides to price it. This hardware would have been great a few months ago, but it is going to be launching at a time when dual-core phones will at the very least be announced which means the Evo Shift 4G should probably be slotting in somewhere between $100-$150 to remain competitive.

Unread 2010-12-12, 03:05 PM   #2512
ctprelude

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 166
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 9

Sprint is seriously disappointing me once again with their phone line ups. It seems they always just have one flagship phone and then stick with it for the full year while everyone else continues throwing out new better spec'd phones.
Unread 2010-12-12, 09:26 PM   #2513
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Motorola's Honeycomb tablet caught sporting Verizon logo in blurrycam shots

By now we've all seen the video and pics from when Andy Rubin hopped onstage showing off the Motorola, Honeycomb equipped tablet and we've gotten a glimpse of the device in a previous blurrycam photoshoot but this time around, it's been caught rocking a Verizon logo and all signs lead to the fact the previous specs noted for the device were indeed accurate. Those specs once again, in case you missed them:
  • 7-inch and 10-inch versions
  • 32GB storage
  • NVIDIA Tegra 2 T20 dual-core processor
  • Gyroscope
  • 1280x800 resolution
  • 5MP camera on the back, 2MP on the front.
  • microSD
  • HDMI out
  • Versions for UMTS, CDMA and LTE
Also noted from the pics is the fact it looks to be making use of micro-USB slot and a 3.5mm headphone socket. And seemingly, some contacts for a charging dock of sorts. Who's excited for this now? More pics can be found after the break

Unread 2010-12-12, 10:46 PM   #2514
eventer289

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 44
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
I need an icon pack that goes with my theme V_V

Any suggestions?
Where did you get that wallpaper?
Unread 2010-12-12, 10:57 PM   #2515
Steven
aka "The Joker"

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventer289 View Post
Where did you get that wallpaper?
AppBrian.
Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-12, 11:07 PM   #2516
eventer289

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven View Post
AppBrian.
What is it called?
Unread 2010-12-13, 12:17 AM   #2517
tim_ws6

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 63
Likes (Given): 183
Likes (Received): 477
Dislikes (Given): 1

I saw it on zedge.net as well

2002 CETA | 2012 Sierra Denali
tim_ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-13, 10:45 AM   #2518
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 456
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctprelude View Post
Sprint is seriously disappointing me once again with their phone line ups. It seems they always just have one flagship phone and then stick with it for the full year while everyone else continues throwing out new better spec'd phones.
jesus dude the evo came out in like june its been less than 7 months...and the epic came out after that!

sprint will have more phones...
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-13, 12:17 PM   #2519
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyrx8 View Post
jesus dude the evo came out in like june its been less than 7 months...and the epic came out after that!

sprint will have more phones...
Both the evo and Galaxy launched in the summer. That's an eternity in tech years.
Unread 2010-12-13, 02:07 PM   #2520
kellyrx8
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 101
Likes (Given): 704
Likes (Received): 456
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
Both the evo and Galaxy launched in the summer. That's an eternity in tech years.
yet are still both in the top 5 android phones out there...shit it takes atleast 2 months for approval of a new phone, then production and getting them to people....

sprint has 8 android phones available...with the evo shift coming out some time after jan 1, vzw has 11, tmo has like 10 or 11, att has like 7

motorola seems locked in with vzw and they also have htc available to them...

im pretty sure you will see more after the first of the year, and even more big bad ass phones when apple updates the iphone again...

vzw obviously has the pick of the litter with thier connections to motorola and htc.....

but to be honest i would rather have a selection pick from sprint of vzw over any other carrier....
kellyrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-14, 10:50 AM   #2521
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Google Acquires NFC Startup Zetawire to Usher in Mobile Payments

It’s been uncovered by research firm 451 Group that Google has acquired Zetawire – a Canada-based startup who owns patents to implement NFC-based technology for mobile banking, advertising, and other uses. Their portfolio of patents gives Google a suite of tools for ushering in an era of technology that has yet to be enjoyed by Americans. Asians – particularly those in Korea and Japan – have long been using their phones as forms of payment and identification.
Google had already shown a strong interest in increasing the widespread adaptation and use of near fields communications technology in America by adding native NFC support in Android 2.3 and by embedding an NFC chip inside their new model device set to launch this Thursday, the Nexus S.

Until now, the only initiative we’ve seen has been a “Recommended on Google” promotion originating in Portland, Oregon where businesses have put up NFC-enabled stickers to allow customers to pull information about them into their phones. It will enable you to do things such as watch ads on YouTube, go to the company’s website, and rate their entry on Google Places so that you and your friends can enhance your Hotpot experience.
This also backs up NXP’s word that the NFC chip inside of the Nexus S would soon be getting two-way communication: currently, the chip can only pull information in from other NFC devices. If Google’s planning to implement any of the technologies Zetawire provides, they’ll need that two-way rendezvous at the point of sale.
There are other use cases that could be materialized from today’s acquisition, but we’re sure mobile payments are at the top of Google’s list. Come 2011, we expect a lot more light to be shed on their plans. [via Inorganic Growth]
[Update]: It appears the deal was actually closed this past August. Google’s been thinking about the possibilities of NFC in America longer than we thought. With the upcoming launch of the Nexus S, it’s no wonder the news stayed hidden up until just recently.

Unread 2010-12-15, 06:46 PM   #2522
Gunnar
Broseph Stalin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 110
Thanks (Received): 126
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 800
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 17

Went to go buy my mom a Samsung Transform today, and the Shack had the Evo on sale...sorry Hero, but I upgraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanb
Smolies, I will straight prison rape anything you drive. I don't give a fuck if its yours or not.
Gunnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-15, 07:09 PM   #2523
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
Went to go buy my mom a Samsung Transform today, and the Shack had the Evo on sale...sorry Hero, but I upgraded.
Its hard to believe that anything is shared between the two, eh? The software and hardware feel like they were developed on different planets.
Unread 2010-12-15, 09:17 PM   #2524
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Honeycomb Won’t Require Physical or Capacitive Buttons

More and more info is coming to light about Honeycomb now that Andy Rubin’s full D: Dive Into Mobile interview is live. One piece of info emerging is that the Honeycomb Android OS update won’t require that a phone has physical or capacitive buttons. Instead, the Android Team has opted to move the traditional Home, Menu, and Back buttons directly into the UI of the interface. If we had to guess, that would be the three icons you see in the lower left corner of the tablet pictured above. Rubin explains the reason for this move is so that users will always have quick and easy access to the common OS commands regardless of screen orientation.
Of course, eliminating hardware buttons isn’t a requirement, and we are sure plenty of Android phones and tablets will continue to deploy some variation of the standard four Android buttons. Our biggest worry is that if and when Honeycomb makes it to smaller-screened devices that the software buttons will take up valuable UI space, eating away at the amount of information that can be displayed on a small display.
Google looks to be covering a full gamut of UI changes in Honeycomb, just as promised. While initial peaks at leaked screen shots look promising, we’ll have to wait for a full reveal before passing any judgement.

Unread 2010-12-15, 09:21 PM   #2525
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Rumor: Honeycomb will be released as Android 2.4 in February at MWC

Everyone knows that Honeycomb is coming to Android tablets sometime next year after Andy Rubin showed off his Motorola prototype, but many of the launch details are still unclear. When will Honeycomb tablets be unveiled to the public? What’s the release date of Honeycomb for other devices? What comes after Honeycomb? I don’t have all the answers, but an old source has shared some interesting information with me.
The Rumor

Honeycomb is the name for Android 2.4, not 3.0 like we have been reporting. The target release date for Honeycomb is February, around the time of Mobile World Congress.
The Source

The source is a developer working on 3rd party software for different versions of Android. They wish to remain anonymous, but I can say they have provided me accurate information in the past and I consider them trustworthy.
One Android Insider’s take on the rumor

Not every detail of every rumor report we have posted has come true, but I would hope that after reading several of them you all know there is some truth behind the stories I tell. If you think the things reported on this site are crazy, then you should see all the stuff that people send me which never gets posted.
Who knows what motivates these guys in the industry to share information with me, but I’m not that hard to find and many reach out to me. This source did not even want me to share which company he worked for, so he has nothing to gain by this information getting out.
Everyone believed that Gingerbread was going to be Android 3.0 and then it became Android 2.3. After that everyone assumed that Honeycomb would become Android 3.0 since it had a new user interface and features for tablets.
The "$10,000" Motorola prototype tablet that Andy Rubin recently showed off.

For whatever reason, it sounds like Google is holding version 3.0 for something special. You would think they throw 3.0 out their to make a statement when the first Honeycomb tablets launch, but I guess like most big Google launches those will be sort-of beta with some new features still missing.
We are expecting that Motorola and many others will finally reveal Honeycomb products in a couple weeks at CES, so it’s believable that Mobile World Congress could be the official date when Honeycomb is released to the masses.
Next year’s MWC 2011 is loaded with keynote speakers who happen to be CEOs of companies heavily focussed on Android. Notables include Google’s Eric Schmidt, HTC’s Peter Chou, and Qualcomm’s Dr. Paul Jacobs. Most analyst agree that NVIDIA’s Tegra 2 processor is the lead platform for Honeycomb, so it will be interesting to see what HTC and Qualcomm have been working on together.
Several insiders have told me that I didn’t want to miss the next Google I/O in May 2011 like there was something extra special planned, but have shared no further details. If Google is going to make Honeycomb into Android 2.4 and release it in February, then the Android 3.0 reveal could happen on May 10, 2011.
Possible Android 3.0 versions now include Ice Cream and Jelly Bean, which we know little about. Vic Gundotra, who normally gives the big Google I/O keynote, is said to be working on the Google +1 project (formerly Google Me).
What do you guys think about this latest rumor? Do you believe Google will use Android 2.4 and save 3.0 for something special later in the year?

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo, pie