Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > (Almost) Anything Goes

Unread 2017-10-11, 01:28 PM   #1
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 821
Likes (Received): 287
Dislikes (Given): 23
Dislikes (Received): 10
Default flying soon, how early should i show up?

How early do i need to be at the airport before the flight is scheduled to take off? I am flying out on delta at a 5:50am flight and I am checking 1 suitcase. I think I only need minimum 45 min ahead. I was planning on arriving 1 hour ahead to give myself some extra time but MCI airports website says 2 hours but I could have sworn that I already checked in online so I think all i need to do is show up, check my bag and go to my terminal and then let the TSA fondle my nuts?

Coming back, ill be departing from orlando. I think i need 2 hours ahead correct? Im sure some of you have went to whorelando before.
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:32 PM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I usually give myself an hour or so KCI is a cake walk

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:32 PM   #3
Lazarus

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 31
Likes (Received): 26
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

You're not there already?!

j/k If you've already checked in, then 1 hour is usually plenty. That early in the morning though you may get a few more people than throughout the day.

Orlando is horrible. 2 hours is a safe bet if you're already checked in online and just need to bag drop.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:33 PM   #4
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

its been a few years since i flew out so i thought i would ask the all knowledgeable kcsr. Whats going to suck is that its so damn early so i have to get up balls early to get there in time. I just found out econo parking doesn't have shuttles before 5am so it looks like its park air express for me.
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:45 PM   #5
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3955
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Not sure how delta boards as I only fly southwest. They board 30 minutes prior to flight and you don't have an assigned seat, only boarding position/group so you need to be there at least 30 minutes prior to flight to get your place in line.

Consider time for parking/shuttle too. I park in the parking spot. They have shuttles often but you're still looking at 10-15 minutes at least from getting off of I-29 to getting to the terminal. Economy parking is slower, especially if there are a lot of people there. They stop at a lot of places and it takes longer to fill up the bus.

At the bare minimum I give myself 1 hour before the flight. 15 minutes for parking/shuttle, 15 minute to get through security, 30 minutes prior for boarding.

That's the bare minimum though. 1.5 hours early would be my recommendation.

This is also dependent on the date you fly out. Those 5-6 am flights are popular for the commuters. We are fast getting through the airport, but there's a lot of us....and we love flying out Monday morning at that time, and flying back Thursday or Friday afternoons.

Last edited by Scooby24; 2017-10-11 at 01:48 PM..
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:47 PM   #6
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 150
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 366
Likes (Received): 622
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

also don't forget the sidewalk check as an option if you look in and the line is stupid to check a bag. its a $2-5 tip and they'll get your bag checked if you've already got your ticket on your phone.
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:50 PM   #7
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 341
Likes (Received): 3955
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
also don't forget the sidewalk check as an option if you look in and the line is stupid to check a bag. its a $2-5 tip and they'll get your bag checked if you've already got your ticket on your phone.
Yeah...I forgot about that. I do all of what I mentioned always bring just a carryon. You can easily get a week's worth of clothes in on a carry on.

If you have to check luggage and it's during a popular flight time add another 15 minutes if you don't do curbside.
Unread 2017-10-11, 01:54 PM   #8
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
i seen that but that will not work for me since i am declaring a firearm.
Unread 2017-10-11, 02:01 PM   #9
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Not sure how delta boards as I only fly southwest. They board 30 minutes prior to flight and you don't have an assigned seat, only boarding position/group so you need to be there at least 30 minutes prior to flight to get your place in line.

Consider time for parking/shuttle too. I park in the parking spot. They have shuttles often but you're still looking at 10-15 minutes at least from getting off of I-29 to getting to the terminal. Economy parking is slower, especially if there are a lot of people there. They stop at a lot of places and it takes longer to fill up the bus.

At the bare minimum I give myself 1 hour before the flight. 15 minutes for parking/shuttle, 15 minute to get through security, 30 minutes prior for boarding.

That's the bare minimum though. 1.5 hours early would be my recommendation.

This is also dependent on the date you fly out. Those 5-6 am flights are popular for the commuters. We are fast getting through the airport, but there's a lot of us....and we love flying out Monday morning at that time, and flying back Thursday or Friday afternoons.
good all around advice but I've never flown southwest. I am already checked in and setup for my assigned seat by delta. I called the park air express place and they said to allow for 30 minutes once i arrive at their front door to the time i would be dropped off at the terminal. I figure if its a 5:50am flight, i need to be at park air express at 4:20am.
Unread 2017-10-11, 02:22 PM   #10
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 2460
Likes (Received): 1647
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

MCI:

10 min to shuttle in, 15 minutes to check your bags/get tickets, 10 to get through security, 25 minutes of spare time.

If you have to check your bags, you want to be parked (economy lot) 1 hour before your flight takes off.

If you don't have to check your bags, you want to be parked (economy lot) 45-50 minutes before your flight.

I used to travel for a living and these were the rules I used, never had a problem. The times up top are conservative to right on, depending on the time of day and what day it is. I don't think I've ever taken more time to shuttle in, check bags, get through security than that.

I've flown through MCO a bunch of times. It's a single security check point. Unless it's way unusually busy, it typically takes 15-20 minutes. I am TSA PreCheck so I don't usually go through it, but that's about how long it takes my sister or father to go through lol.

When flying Delta/United/AA, I typically wait until everyone has boarded and the line is gone before I get on the plane. No reason to be in a rush to get on the plane to sit there. You have an assigned seat, so why spend more time than you have to cramped in the plane?

Last edited by Keboh; 2017-10-11 at 02:30 PM..
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 02:32 PM   #11
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
MCI:

10 min to shuttle in, 15 minutes to check your bags/get tickets, 10 to get through security, 25 minutes of spare time.

If you have to check your bags, you want to be parked (economy lot) 1 hour before your flight takes off.

If you don't have to check your bags, you want to be parked (economy lot) 45-50 minutes before your flight.

I used to travel for a living and these were the rules I used, never had a problem. The times up top are conservative to right on, depending on the time of day and what day it is. I don't think I've ever taken more time to shuttle in, check bags, get through security than that.

I've flown through MCO a bunch of times. It's a single security check point. Unless it's way unusually busy, it typically takes 15-20 minutes. I am TSA PreCheck so I don't usually go through it, but that's about how long it takes my sister or father to go through lol.

When flying Delta/United/AA, I typically wait until everyone has boarded and the line is gone before I get on the plane. No reason to be in a rush to get on the plane to sit there. You have an assigned seat, so why spend more time than you have to cramped in the plane?
i think the last time i flew out of MCO orlando, we had to show up 2 hours early. The wait time was nuts but it was also spring break 2016. I think at my current time of getting to park air express at 4:20am should be plenty of time for the 5:50am departure.
Unread 2017-10-11, 02:50 PM   #12
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Received): 25

A lot depends on your airline. I was not allowed to get on a Frontier flight and I was at the ticket counter 50min before the flight. Some airlines want that extra $100 change flight fee.

I would recommend getting to the parking lot 1.5 hours before the flight. Bus could take 15 - 20 minutes, then the line inside might be another 15.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 03:01 PM   #13
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
A lot depends on your airline. I was not allowed to get on a Frontier flight and I was at the ticket counter 50min before the flight. Some airlines want that extra $100 change flight fee.

I would recommend getting to the parking lot 1.5 hours before the flight. Bus could take 15 - 20 minutes, then the line inside might be another 15.
that happened to me once in tampa. they said i should have been there 2 hours prior and i was 45 minutes early but the plane never took off and they were just starting to board the 1st passenger and i was right there and they still gave away my seat and only when i told them we had a baby back home with the grandmother they then put us into some spare seats which happened to be in 1st class since they had a few left over.

I think for MCI I'm still ok at 1 hour prior if I'm going thru the TSA nut check.
Unread 2017-10-11, 03:04 PM   #14
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

i called the airport info line. Delta Bag check in is at terminal B gate 56 and I'm going out on gate 57 so ill be only feet away from it. They said normally they tell people 1.5 hours ahead but 1 hour is realistically enough for a non holiday busy season.
Unread 2017-10-11, 07:37 PM   #15
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 63

For such an early flight and Delta and a Thursday morning, 1.5 hours should fine assuming you're doing a parking shuttle.

For work, I fly Delta or Southwest and park in the C Terminal garage and walk over to the B terminal. I can leave my house in Shawnee, park, walk, and be to my gate in 45 minutes. God I love KCI.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-11, 08:21 PM   #16
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 452
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 3854
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

I'm in Orlando.

I flew out Sunday at 1:30pm.

Got there at 12:30pm, dropped my two bags at curb-check, and waltzed in and had 20min to spare after security check before boarding.

I'm flying back home tomorrow. My last meeting ends at 3pm. I'll take a cab to MCO from there and my plane leaves at 5:10pm. It's about a 20min drive to the airport from the RSC where my meeting is at, but between BS time after the meeting and what not I'll want to be at the airport by 4pm.

I come here all of the time.
Unread 2017-10-12, 03:17 AM   #17
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 701
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

I stopped reading comments partway through.

We need to get your bag 35-40 min prior to departure. That means it needs to arrive to your airlines bag room at that time. Checking a firearm means additional screening is possible (likely in some airports.)

If we do not have your bag, we MIGHT have time to make a late run to the aircraft to get it on board before the belt loader is pulled back. And if it is pulled back and we made it before they shut the door, well... it might still make it.. Maybe.
Unread 2017-10-12, 03:20 AM   #18
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 701
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

I'm flying out of Orlando tomorrow at 1830.. I plan to be there 2 hours early, but I have to nonrev, and sign up to jumpseat if I need to...
Unread 2017-10-12, 04:54 AM   #19
LTe

Post Thanks / Like

Well that was too damn easy. I declared my firearm in the checked bag and I went thru the scanners and I was 27 minutes early before they even board. I've got an hour before take off at this present moment.

Touchdown in Orlando about 12:25pm today!
Unread 2017-10-12, 09:38 AM   #20
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post
Well that was too damn easy. I declared my firearm in the checked bag and I went thru the scanners and I was 27 minutes early before they even board. I've got an hour before take off at this present moment.

Touchdown in Orlando about 12:25pm today!
have fun
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
Unread 2017-10-12, 11:12 AM   #21
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 192
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1304
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsMari View Post
I'm flying out of Orlando tomorrow at 1830.. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
I'm in Orlando.
I hope you two had a good time.

Any pictures?
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-12, 11:40 AM   #22
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 452
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 3854
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:

Any pictures?
Lol.

I spend 3-4 days/mo here in my new role.

Yay travel life!

I'd love to catch a beer with Jewels
Unread 2017-10-12, 12:39 PM   #23
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Any pictures?
What about me? I was in Orlando two weekends ago
Unread 2017-10-12, 01:08 PM   #24
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
What about me? I was in Orlando two weekends ago
this is not your lemon party Fabio... move along now.
Unread 2017-10-12, 01:23 PM   #25
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
this is not your lemon party Fabio... move along now.
You can't tell me what to do! You're not my real dad! You just don't understand me!!