Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2017-10-04, 03:59 PM   #1
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 10
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default was just offered an IT position

well.. i just NOW received a reply for an IT Technician position, main responsibilites seem to be help desk support and hardware troubleshooting.

now this is only an email reply, and not an actual interview, yet.

starting pay is 14.00/hr

should i take it since i want to get into an IT career, and work on getting my certs while at this job?

the cons are:

this appears to be a step below helpdesk

helpdesk seems to have a menagerie of horrific stories associated with it, including being blacklisted at the hiring company from moving into a network engineer role however this may not be the case.

it is a night shift.

i don't know how far away the core company is

this position is being filled through a staffing agency.

Pros:
it gives me a window into an IT career.

it gives me experience in the IT field

i could obtain my certs while doing the helpdesk position, which i could also leverage for pay raises.

after a few years, i could re-position my resume to jump to a company looking to fill a network engineer role with the helpdesk experience and the CCNA/CCNP R&S and security i plan to obtain.

helps me stay in the know on the directions companies are taking, IE i'll know if learning python along with R&S would be extremely beneficial as that seems to be a current technology sector trend to assist with automated router and switch configuration.

I am sure I am missing more cons and positives, so i would like to know more from people who are in the IT sector. i would also like to know, if starting out trying to get into IT, would you take it?
Unread 2017-10-04, 06:27 PM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1931
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

It's something. Sounds a lot like help desk to me though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-04, 06:37 PM   #3
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 169
Thanks (Received): 147
Likes (Given): 826
Likes (Received): 848
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

There is absolutely nothing wrong with working a help desk position. You have to start somewhere.

You could always get a year or so of XP doing that, then move to a larger company like Cerner doing the same work...then move into another, more technical role. I've seen people at Cerner go from working in help desk to working in End user technology (windows architecture), networking, cloud engineering, software engineering, scripting positions. ect.

Go for it! Also, education can only ever help you. Why not get the certs while you're at it. Always move forward with anything that can better yourself (As long as it's not a ripoff like ITT Technical Institute)
Unread 2017-10-04, 08:04 PM   #4
bryon123456789

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 53
Dislikes (Given): 2

I am doing the same thing just in a different area. I am in the accounting field and EVERYONE wants experience. I took a job with the state of KS in KDOR and will be there a year or two while i work on my MBA hopefully getting on at a major corporation.

So yeah, I agree you have to start somewhere, and just remember it's not forever.
Unread 2017-10-04, 10:40 PM   #5
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the opinions, i have replied back, before i make a rash decision i am wanting to know more about the company, like what is the name, and do they offer any training, after all this would be an entirely new field for me, and while i am studying CCENT currently, helpdesk deals with alot of other stuff, and remote access to solve issues.

also finding out who i would be working for under the staffing agency will give me the opportunity to research them and their company before i make any decisions.

also i am currently working for heartland coke bottling, and they apparently have a small IT department, so i have begun voicing my interest in joining that particular department at a jr. level. this way i can communicate with more experienced people in a smaller scale, so i can learn more, and more easily.

SO that is my conundrum

i could stay at coke, get moved over in about 5 more months with a recommendation, and be in a jr level and skip the help desk since the department doesn't have one, but that is IF i get good at what i'm doing.

OR i take this.

i agree i need the experience, but if they don't offer training and i'm just thrown into the situation, it'll be a sink or swim environment, which isn't the most ideal.

so Update: i'm waiting to hear back and get more information before i pursue. especially since gap insurance blows balls with a family of 4.

Last edited by Zetex; 2017-10-04 at 10:43 PM..
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:28 AM   #6
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I think for the most part at some point in time someone in IT has done a contract job (hell I have) they sometimes pan out then they sometimes overpromise just trying to fill a seat for that co. I get it. When I started out I did a lot of things just to get in the door & am still doing them, just have to stick with what you think is the right path, if you think that relying mainly on a cert/test ..get some seat time in, learn to see what other groups/orgs are doing for later down the road.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Keboh liked this post
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:36 AM   #7
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 207
Thanks (Received): 250
Likes (Given): 2460
Likes (Received): 1647
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I think for the most part at some point in time someone in IT has done a contract job (hell I have) they sometimes pan out then they sometimes overpromise just trying to fill a seat for that co. I get it. When I started out I did a lot of things just to get in the door & am still doing them, just have to stick with what you think is the right path, if you think that relying mainly on a cert/test ..get some seat time in, learn to see what other groups/orgs are doing for later down the road.
In IT, also worked a contract position. I was one of 4 people (out of the 100+ on the floor) to get FTE one year. It can be a bit daunting working contract-to-hire.

You need the experience though in IT. Certs with no experience and you're still looking at entry-level jobs.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:54 AM   #8
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 921
Thanks (Received): 333
Likes (Given): 6309
Likes (Received): 2716
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

It's $30k a year. If benefits are decent, I'd say take it.

Some roles just require time and experience, sounds like there could be worse gigs.

Good luck!
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-13, 06:28 PM   #9
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

update here, well, i replied to the email showing interest and called 3 times only to get voicemail. i have yet to get another reply, but this does not bode well.

as all of you had said i need experience somewhere, and to see what companies are doing from the inside. which is why I've been considering giving it a serious chance.

as it stands ATM, i'll probably pass if this is any indication of how bad they are at communicating.

and yes i do want to get certs, but i've also been reading and certs also are equivalent to college credits for MCCC

so again i'm at a pathway crossroads.

i've also been watching imran rafai on youtube for video courses, he is very good, and i also discovered packet tracer is now free to download from cisco NETACAD.com

so i've been using the crap out of that to get familiar with the command lines more, and to kind of get it to just be second nature.
so far i've setup management VLAN ip's initiated enable secrets, used crypto key gen rsa for ssh, hard-coded trunking switchports for Vlan data allowed/flow, and a few other things.

I've also been getting IPv4 subnetting division numbers down and memorized so i can go from 128/192/224/240/248/252/254/255 with ease when entering the subnet.

but knowing available hosts off the top of my head.. not so much. but the formula for that is easy to remember and utilize.

anyway i've already made mistakes in packet tracer, and had to use several show commands to figure it out. (mostly why the management Vlan IP was in a down/down state, turns out i entered in vlan 100 and didn't save before i exited so thinking i had vlan100, and configuring it on each switch to have it not work was scratching my head for a bit. of course with the VTP server switch not having Vlan100, was exactly why it was in down/down)

Last edited by Zetex; 2017-10-13 at 06:30 PM..
Unread Today, 05:22 PM   #10
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

OK, well this is a bust, still no communication, so i've been doing research in where to start with a CCNA R&S, and it seems a NOC level 1 is where to start, what are your guys thoughts?
Unread Today, 05:50 PM   #11
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Worked NOC a couple times

hated it each and every time

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:32 PM   #12
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Worked NOC a couple times

hated it each and every time
what aspects did you not like regarding the position? how did you get out of it into something you liked and what positions, post NOC, did you look at?