Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Unread 2010-12-14, 03:50 PM   #1
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51
Default Golf thread

As the maker of this thread I will request that all of Fatguys ramblings will be removed. If you have honest things to say, I'll appreciate it as I enjoy playing and have some actual questions etc.

How often do you guys play?
What equipment do you guys play with?
Do you have memberships or just pay as you play?
Where do you like the best? why?

I play about 1-3 times a week, probably average more towards the 1 time a week, cause I don't play alone and with my on call schedule it's hard to be home at a good time when someone else wants to play, that and the shit gets expensive after awhile.

I use Taylormade Driver and 3 wood with a stiff shaft as my club speed is high. By far the best driver/3 wood combo I've ever owned. I can consistently hit 290-325 off the tee and have been VERY accurate in hitting fairways until lately when I have been messing up my swing and I know what I'm doing wrong on them. The 3 wood feels like pure sex when you hit it. You don't feel the ball, it's just awesome and works great.

I have older irons but can't justify buying new ones cause I love them, anyone that uses them, loves them and I finally got to where I can hit them the way I want to. I have Titleist DTR irons 2I-PW (lost my SW, FML)

I would like to know if my game would improve at all with a new set? Been eyeballing some Taylormade's but it's hard to justify it when I really like the clubs that I have.

I live in Topeka and play courses around here, obviously. Have no preference on which one we play, as long as we play. They are all decent but not like the courses in KC. Played Ironhorse earlier this year and LOVED it. Played Tiffany Greens one time (ex's parents lived on the course) and it was a little to hard for me at that time. I'd like to play it again sometime soon as I feel I have improved 10X's since I've played there.

Oh, I also like the Top Flite D2 balls, no particular reason, just seem to like them.
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:09 PM   #2
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 22
Likes (Given): 47
Likes (Received): 92
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

How often do you guys play?

I play as long as there isn't snow on the ground and usually get in at least 6-7 rounds a week when its nicer out. Although, lately it's been more like 1-2 times a week because of this weather. During the summer I'll play at least one round of 18 a day and then anywhere from 1-3 rounds on a Saturday or Sunday. I actually just bought a cart cover recently so I could play in this colder weather. I like playing in the colder weather because it's like I have the course to myself. I think the high was 36 degrees the day I hit my hole-in-one.

What equipment do you guys play with?

Driver: TaylorMade R5 9.5degree (Hopefully upgrading before next season) stiff shaft, low kick
3 wood: Callaway Diablo Edge 3wood stiff shaft, mid kick
5 wood: TaylorMade R7 18degree senior stiff shaft, mid kick
7 wood: Callaway Heavenwood (probably my favorite club in my bag and the oldest) senior shaft
Irons: Callaway Big Bertha's factory callaway shafts 4-pw
Wedges: Ping G2 sand wedge 54 degrees, Callaway X-Forged 60 degree with a ProjectX shaft
Putter: Ping Anser2 cut down 1inch.

I hope to do some changing around in my bag before next year though. I'd like to replace my 7wood and 4i with hybrids and get rid of my pw, sw and 60 so I can replace them with clubs that will fill some gaps I've got. I like my driver but it's time for a new one. The 3 wood is a very smooth feeling club and is the club I tee off with the most because I'm confident in where it will end up and the distance it goes. It's also very easy for me to control the shot with the 3 wood. I usually only play ProV1's because I love the feel/control of them, but I'll play just about any ball other than a Nitro Blaster. I hate those damn balls. lol

Do you have memberships or just pay as you play?

I have a membership at a course which is why I play so much. Although, I think I might drop my membership if my dues are raised again. I just can't justify it anymore.

Where do you like the best? why?

I love playing just about anywhere. Some of the best courses I've played would have to include Indian Hills CC. Although, Sycamore Ridge is a great course. I've only played that course once though. Tiffany Greens is a great course to play. Adam's Pointe is fun. Falcon Lakes, Falcon Ridge and Falcon Creek are all great courses to play and kept up nicely. I also go the chance to play Leawood South CC and that course is beautiful. My good buddy is the assisstant super out there. Alvamar out in Lawrence is always nice and it's fairly challenging to play too. Dubs Dread always has great greens.

uprrman23: A new set of irons won't make your game better. It might feel like it for a little bit but new irons won't change your swing. The only way new irons would make your game better is if your current irons are crap to begin with. It sounds like you can hit the ball a long way though. I think my average drive is somewhere around 260-270 with the occasional 300+ drive, but it's straight (for the most part) and will land in or near the fairway.
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:23 PM   #3
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87supraT View Post

uprrman23: A new set of irons won't make your game better. It might feel like it for a little bit but new irons won't change your swing. The only way new irons would make your game better is if your current irons are crap to begin with. It sounds like you can hit the ball a long way though. I think my average drive is somewhere around 260-270 with the occasional 300+ drive, but it's straight (for the most part) and will land in or near the fairway.
Remind me not to play with you, lol.

I agree on the irons. I'm a novice, I play for fun and would like to play a few scrambles, for the fun factor, nothing more. I don't see me hitting the greens more from 150 yards out simply because I have newer/better irons. I think I might just stick with what I have for awhile unless I come across a smoking deal before next year.

I've always had a problem with my irons off the tee box, for 15 years now. UNTIL this year. I'm confident stepping up on the par 3's now and feel that I can/will hit the green or be close to it. I'm afraid that if I go changing my irons, I will lose all of my confidence and take a huge step back. Probably my biggest deciding factor in not buying new irons right now. Cause with my game and not playing a whole lot, confidence means alot.
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:32 PM   #4
Fastline42

Post Thanks / Like

I suck at golf. I do not play EVER. I occasionally will go to the driving range just to hit the shit out of some balls.

Thats all I have for this thread
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:33 PM   #5
bizkit642

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 60
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 0

Hi, I like golf and want warm weather back LOL

Thanks for getting me back into it also
bizkit642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:34 PM   #6
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizkit642 View Post
Hi, I like golf and want warm weather back LOL

Thanks for getting me back into it also
you wouldn't have had to wait for warmer weather if you would have listened to me in the spring
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:36 PM   #7
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 508
Dislikes (Given): 88
Dislikes (Received): 45

No ramblings involved.

Set1:
Putter- Odyssey White Hot #5
Driver-Taylor Made R580 XD- Stiff shaft 9.5 degree
3 wood-Titleist 909F3-Stiff shaft 15 degree
3 iron/hybrid- Adams i-wood 17 degree
4-PW Titleist DCI Oversize+ Golds, stiff steel shaft
52 degree Titleist-Vokey
56 degree Titleist-Vokey
60 degree Titleist-Vokey

Set2
Putter Titleist-Scotty Cameron Newport
Driver Callaway FT Tour stiff shaft 8.5 degree
3 wood Crown Regal 15 degree stiff shaft. Built this one years ago
3-PW Titleist AP2 stiff steel
52 degree Titleist Vokey
56 degree Titleist Vokey
60 degree Titleist Vokey

And I have about 7 other sets and various clubs to mix and match as I go.

Ball of choice, Titleist ProV1x, second Nike One Black.

I buy the yearly "membership" to Overland Park and play OP/St Andrews 2-3 times a week. I also play Ironhorse/Sycamore Ridge once a week. Every month I'll play tomahawk hills because that is one of my favorite layouts, and once a year I get to play lionsgate. Every year I play in the monster mash, as well as about 2 or 3 other tournaments abroad.

Favorite course in general is Tomahawk Hills because of its unique design.
Favorite course to play that tests my skill, Ironhorse. I am a very long driver, but I am seldom accurate enough for my liking, which comes with the distance. Ironhorse challenges me to do a lot of course planning pre-round as well as on course. I find myself pulling the driver out twice when I play there, and make extensive use of my 3 wood which I'll put out to about 260ish and leave a short iron in,which is fine with me. Inside of 175 I am fairly accurate on my approach.

Personally, I just love a course that challenges me mentally more than by distance. I can choose to swing for the fences and put a drive out there 300+ at any point, but give me a severe dogleg left/right that challenges me to hit 220 off the tee and 180 into the green, and that's the kind of course I want to play 24/7/365.

Supra, Leawood South is amazing. While it isn't any kind of "grand" course, they keep AMAZING care of their fairways and greens. I was awestruck as a boy when my father and I were invited to play by a member, I had never seen more perfectly manicured fairways in my life. Also, Loch Lloyd is/was very high on my list, next to Lionsgate.
Fatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:37 PM   #8
Hap Hazard

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 87
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 215
Likes (Received): 1029
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 31

I used to play 3 to 5 times aweek but that number has gone down to like 10 times a year. A lot more of my friends used to play and now it's basicaly just a couple of us.

I play with some shitty 300 dollar clubs I got from Dicks. They work for me as I'm around a 22.

No memberships anywhere. Normal course I play is OP Favorite being West to South.

My favorite course around here is Ironhorse. I wish I could sleep on their fairways. Other favorites are Prarie Highlands, Falcon Ridge, and Heritage.
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:44 PM   #9
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

best course I've ever played was at Inn of the Mountain Gods in Mescalero, NM
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:46 PM   #10
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Fatguy: How do you like those AP2's and that Callaway FT driver? That is the series of drivers I've been looking at and I think I'm going to replace my irons with some Callaway X-tours or something similar. Also, Leawood South, you're right... it isn't the best by far but I love how well it's manicured. I think the layout could be better but I think that it's a fun course to play. You wanna play a corky course that really makes you play your shortgame? Go out to Oak Country out in DeSoto. It isn't a well kept course by any means, but it will test your accuracy. It's a very tight course with tiny greens. Don't expect anything nice from there though. I play out there because it's cheap and it really helps with my accuracy. After playing there, when I go to any other course it feels like the fairways are city-blocks-wide... lol. We should have a KCSR golf outing sometime.
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:47 PM   #11
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like we have enough people here who play frequently to get a KCSR golfing "league" going.

We should all go out and play in the spring/summer or at the least get a driving range day setup.
Unread 2010-12-14, 04:55 PM   #12
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Fatguy: How do you like those AP2's and that Callaway FT driver? That is the series of drivers I've been looking at and I think I'm going to replace my irons with some Callaway X-tours or something similar. Also, Leawood South, you're right... it isn't the best by far but I love how well it's manicured. I think the layout could be better but I think that it's a fun course to play. You wanna play a corky course that really makes you play your shortgame? Go out to Oak Country out in DeSoto. It isn't a well kept course by any means, but it will test your accuracy. It's a very tight course with tiny greens. Don't expect anything nice from there though. I play out there because it's cheap and it really helps with my accuracy. After playing there, when I go to any other course it feels like the fairways are city-blocks-wide... lol. We should have a KCSR golf outing sometime.
The AP2's are alright. They are my #2 set really. I don't play them nearly as often as I play my old DCI oversize +'s.

With golf equipment, if I find myself extremely comfortable, I seldom upgrade from them. I've played the DCI Oversize +'s since I was 12, I'm now 24, almost 25. Every couple years I regrip and reshaft them, make slight alterations to shaft length or shaft selection, etc. I haven't had to refinish them yet, despite 10+ years of play on them, and they aren't forged like the AP2's so durability is a premium on them, but the grooves are VERY worn down now which is why I picked up a set of AP2's.

This coming year I'll be playing the AP2's a bit more, but I think I might trade them in on some AP1's or make my own set of forged Irons from the Golfsmith catalog. The AP2's feel great, but they are about as unforgiving as it gets, and they aren't suited to my ideal swingweight.

The driver is amazing. I haven't hit one like it since the old 975 D from Titleist which I played forever until this one. The feel on it is tremendous and for whatever reason, I can shape my drives considerably better than any other on the market with it.

I highly recommend the Callaway X tour's as well. They are my #2 upgrade from the AP2's, behind the AP1's. I went into the local Golfsmith to hit the 2 after purchasing the AP2's, and it was amazing how well both of them felt.

Oak Country is awesome. Every now and then my friend gets me on the course for free. It is an honestly "shitty" course, but I have a lot of fun due to the layout of the course. For me, it feels very similar to the Goat Pasture that is Gardner. Not a well maintained course by any means, but it has its challenges.
Unread 2010-12-14, 05:14 PM   #13
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatguy View Post
The AP2's are alright. They are my #2 set really. I don't play them nearly as often as I play my old DCI oversize +'s.

With golf equipment, if I find myself extremely comfortable, I seldom upgrade from them. I've played the DCI Oversize +'s since I was 12, I'm now 24, almost 25. Every couple years I regrip and reshaft them, make slight alterations to shaft length or shaft selection, etc. I haven't had to refinish them yet, despite 10+ years of play on them, and they aren't forged like the AP2's so durability is a premium on them, but the grooves are VERY worn down now which is why I picked up a set of AP2's.

This coming year I'll be playing the AP2's a bit more, but I think I might trade them in on some AP1's or make my own set of forged Irons from the Golfsmith catalog. The AP2's feel great, but they are about as unforgiving as it gets, and they aren't suited to my ideal swingweight.

The driver is amazing. I haven't hit one like it since the old 975 D from Titleist which I played forever until this one. The feel on it is tremendous and for whatever reason, I can shape my drives considerably better than any other on the market with it.

I highly recommend the Callaway X tour's as well. They are my #2 upgrade from the AP2's, behind the AP1's. I went into the local Golfsmith to hit the 2 after purchasing the AP2's, and it was amazing how well both of them felt.

Oak Country is awesome. Every now and then my friend gets me on the course for free. It is an honestly "shitty" course, but I have a lot of fun due to the layout of the course. For me, it feels very similar to the Goat Pasture that is Gardner. Not a well maintained course by any means, but it has its challenges.
My backup set of irons is a set of Ping Eye 2's which I'm not to fond of because of the feel of them. They aren't as forgiving as my Callaways but the distance is a lot longer with them. The membership rate out at Oak Country (OCGC as I like to refer to it) is VERY cheap. $60/mo for unlimited play with a cart. A couple buddies and I joined out there to work on our short game and it's help a ton. We started playing in a 4-man scramble out there on Wednesdays because of the $1 beers and liked it so we asked about a membership. They do some fun events out there throughout the year. I missed out on the night golf thing that they did this year. My best round out there is +2 but my average is somewhere between +5 to +10. That average seems to carry over to other courses that are much longer too. It's been forever since I've played it's twin (kinda) gardner. I liked that course.
Unread 2010-12-14, 05:22 PM   #14
Hap Hazard

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 87
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 215
Likes (Received): 1029
Dislikes (Given): 10
Dislikes (Received): 31

I'm always down for a gathering at Oak Country. Cheap course, Cheap beer, and easy place to have fun.
Unread 2010-12-14, 05:32 PM   #15
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap Hazard View Post
I'm always down for a gathering at Oak Country. Cheap course, Cheap beer, and easy place to have fun.
I'm hoping to play out there soon. It's been over a week since I played last and I'm getting antsy. lol. I probably play out there too much but I can't pass it up when it's already paid for.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:04 PM   #16
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
My backup set of irons is a set of Ping Eye 2's which I'm not to fond of because of the feel of them. They aren't as forgiving as my Callaways but the distance is a lot longer with them. The membership rate out at Oak Country (OCGC as I like to refer to it) is VERY cheap. $60/mo for unlimited play with a cart. A couple buddies and I joined out there to work on our short game and it's help a ton. We started playing in a 4-man scramble out there on Wednesdays because of the $1 beers and liked it so we asked about a membership. They do some fun events out there throughout the year. I missed out on the night golf thing that they did this year. My best round out there is +2 but my average is somewhere between +5 to +10. That average seems to carry over to other courses that are much longer too. It's been forever since I've played it's twin (kinda) gardner. I liked that course.
I actually have a set of Ping Eye 2's lying around soemwhere, and a set of Ping Zing 2's from when I was 10

OCGC is a very fun and relaxed place. The atmosphere is great. During the summer I'm out there pretty frequently, even if I'm not golfing.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:07 PM   #17
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I actually have a set of Ping Eye 2's lying around soemwhere, and a set of Ping Zing 2's from when I was 10

OCGC is a very fun and relaxed place. The atmosphere is great. During the summer I'm out there pretty frequently, even if I'm not golfing.
You can usually find me out there most days of the summer. lol. Sometimes my buddies and I will play the course backwards or shoot from different tee boxes to different holes, but only when no one is out there. It makes for some fun games.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:09 PM   #18
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Id be game to play and get my ass kicked, as long as there is beer involved I'll be happy lol
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:11 PM   #19
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
You can usually find me out there most days of the summer. lol. Sometimes my buddies and I will play the course backwards or shoot from different tee boxes to different holes, but only when no one is out there. It makes for some fun games.
I take it you know "Dutch" then?

Unread 2010-12-14, 06:26 PM   #20
bizkit642

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys do in the winter to keep with it?
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:31 PM   #21
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Practice net + Basement, or a covered/heated driving range + putting in the living room.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:40 PM   #22
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I take it you know "Dutch" then?

What's his real name? I know most of the older guys out there. Actually the owners are family friends.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:42 PM   #23
bizkit642

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Practice net + Basement, or a covered/heated driving range + putting in the living room.
One of the local courses here in Topeka just bought some nice nets to practice indoors with. Might give that a try.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:43 PM   #24
87supraT

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Winter? What's that? lol. I usually try to play when its warmer than 40 out but other than that I work on my rotation/swing plane at home in front of a mirror or go out to the range. This year I've put together a little workout to increase my flexibility and overall strength.
Unread 2010-12-14, 06:43 PM   #25
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
What's his real name? I know most of the older guys out there. Actually the owners are family friends.
Dustin Monterville, goes by Dutch. He's always getting us on for free, my other friend says his mom either owns the place or manages it, so he's always out there. real shaggy hair with a ball cap 24/7.