Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Sports and Recreation

Unread 2017-01-11, 08:59 AM   #1
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Default Cost of Chiefs, Royals stadiums means Kansas City area will face new questions

It wonít be long before Kansas City will have to start talking about the future of the Truman Sports Complex. Chris Oschner The Kansas City Star

Kansas Citians will crowd into Arrowhead Stadium Sunday for the Chiefsí playoff game with the Pittsburgh Steelers. Itíll be cold, maybe wet, definitely fun.
Itís been quite a time for fans of the areaís professional sports franchises. The Royalsí trips to the World Series in 2014 and 2015 still bring smiles. Sporting Kansas City won the MLS Cup in 2013. Now the Chiefs are back in the playoffs, with a shot at the NFL championship.
Only someone with a heart of stone could bring up worrisome news at a time like this. So call me Mr. Marble: Itís time for the metropolitan area to begin thinking about the future of the Truman Sports Complex, and where the Chiefs and Royals will play their games in the not-so-distant future.

I know what youíre thinking: didnít we solve this problem just a few years ago? Well ó yes, sort of. In 2006, Jackson County voters approved a 3/8 cent sales tax for improvements at the complex, and both teams signed 25-year lease extensions. The work was done, the teams got better, the seats were filled.
Donít look now, but those lease agreements are now 11 years old. That means the area has just 14 years to figure out if it wants to keep professional sports in the community for several more decades ó and, crucially, who will pay the cost.
OK, 14 years is a long time. But it isnít an indefinite period of time. And the crushing math of big-time sports means the Kansas City area should at least start considering the choices it will face the closer we get to 2031, when the current leases expire.

A tunnel beneath parking lot M connects Kauffman and Arrowhead Stadiums, which baseball players use to enter and exit Kauffman as well as inventory and concessions delivery to both venues.
David Eulitt The Kansas City Star

Questions like: Will the teams want new stadiums? At the end of the current leases, Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums will be almost six decades old, among the oldest stadiums in the country. Venues with far less mileage have been shuttered in recent years.
The Rams left St. Louis less than 25 years after their stadium was opened, claiming it was obsolete.
Yet building sports venues is enormously expensive, even using current dollars. The Atlanta area will open a baseball stadium this spring that cost more than $660 million to build. This summer, it will open a new football stadium that cost $1.5 billion.
By 2031, building new stadiums for the Chiefs and Royals could easily top $2 billion. Even rehabbing the current complex could run $1 billion or more. If the area started saving today it would need to set aside $70 million or more annually just to be ready for 2031.
Who will pay that cost? The state of Missouri seems uninterested in providing any more cash for sports venues ó the legislature waved buh-bye to the Rams rather than cough up any money. The teams and leagues will help, of course, but the Royals especially are less than flush (in total revenue, not franchise value). And Jackson County voters are understandably weary of bearing the stadium burden alone.
User fees can pick up part of the cost, but only a part. It already costs $40 to park at a Chiefs game. A Royals game, for a family of four, easily costs $125.
That suggests some sort of regional taxpayer approach, including folks in Kansas. But developing a consensus on cost and a legal framework will take time and formidable political skill: It took local leaders seven years to push through a Bistate Commission for Union Station, and that was for a minor sales tax that provided about $118 million for the building.
New sports stadiums will be a much, much lengthier lift. And how do sports stadiums fit in with other challenges, like a new airport or improved mass transit? The price tag escalates.
Thereís another possible response, of course. The area might conclude spending for stadiums is wasteful and wrong. Providing $2 billion in public funds so millionaires can play on teams owned by billionaires will anger lots of taxpayers, many of whom will never see a game in person. It might be that cities like Kansas City simply canít support sports facilities that sit vacant for much of the year.
But the community should be clear-eyed about what that means. The San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders are getting ready to move to new cities. Both franchises wrestled with their cities for years, looking for better places to play.
Kansas City has a chance to avoid that fate. The teamsí owners have shown a willingness to work with the community on venue improvements, and neither the Chiefs nor Royals have ever hinted at a desire to move somewhere else. Perhaps reaching an agreement on new leases will be easier than in other cities. Maybe patching up the sports complex for another 25 years will work.
The conversation doesnít have to start tomorrow, but it does have to start soon. Say, after the Super Bowl.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-11, 10:32 AM   #2
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

Any chance they could move the sports complex to the area by the Legends, the race track etc? I know thats now on the Kansas side but that would be a heck of a sports district.
Unread 2017-01-11, 10:35 AM   #3
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1932
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobster View Post
Any chance they could move the sports complex to the area by the Legends, the race track etc? I know thats now on the Kansas side but that would be a heck of a sports district.
I think it's a possibility. However KCMO would fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening. Personally when the day comes I would like to at least see the new K downtown.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-11, 10:49 AM   #4
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 452
Likes (Given): 43
Likes (Received): 3856
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I think it's a possibility. However KCMO would fight tooth and nail to keep that from happening. Personally when the day comes I would like to at least see the new K downtown.

Riverfront would be nice.

I for one am of the mindset that public funds should not go towards building stadiums for billionaires to run their businesses in.

Bye Felicia!
Unread 2017-01-11, 12:34 PM   #5
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Riverfront would be nice.

I for one am of the mindset that public funds should not go towards building stadiums for billionaires to run their businesses in.

Bye Felicia!
especially when you look at crumbling roads, schools, etc
redlobster is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-12, 11:01 AM   #6
BigblockB

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 66
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 3

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

The sticker adds 20whp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes kellyrx8 liked this post
BigblockB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-12, 07:16 PM   #7
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Glass needs to be up for putting in a large chunk of money for a new stadium. Same with Hunt. Definitely don't like public funds going towards stadiums. I'm glad San Diego told Spanos to fuck off. Hopefully it sets the stage for more cities to do the same and eventually forces owners to build their own stadiums.

That said I'd love to see a downtown ballpark on the river. Hell ECI has plenty of money, maybe Glass can get with Cordish and make a river walk district by the river market. Plenty of space could be created for parking too.

Then maybe build a new Arrowhead over the footprint of Lot M and Kauffman stadium perpendicular to the current arrowhead.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-13, 09:21 AM   #8
bryon123456789

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 59
Likes (Received): 53
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Glass needs to be up for putting in a large chunk of money for a new stadium. Same with Hunt. Definitely don't like public funds going towards stadiums. I'm glad San Diego told Spanos to fuck off. Hopefully it sets the stage for more cities to do the same and eventually forces owners to build their own stadiums.

That said I'd love to see a downtown ballpark on the river. Hell ECI has plenty of money, maybe Glass can get with Cordish and make a river walk district by the river market. Plenty of space could be created for parking too.

Then maybe build a new Arrowhead over the footprint of Lot M and Kauffman stadium perpendicular to the current arrowhead.
This is a great idea all around. Would say new arrowhead should be domed.
Unread 2017-02-20, 03:59 PM   #9
Protege94

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 98
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 20

IF they build a new football stadium I think a dome would be a mistake. I like the outdoor feel when at the games.

Realistically they need to decide if they want to move the Royals Stadium downtown. If they do then start construction and have the Royals continue to play at Kaufman. When the downtown stadium is completed then demolish the old stadium and behind the new football stadium in its place and continue playing at the old one until construction is complete.

KC is known for tailgating so you need the large foot print for the Chiefs stadium.

Additionally the downtown baseball stadium would light a HUGE fire for whatever area it is put in. I know everyone says the River Front area but personally I would have loved to see them make the Westbottoms work for the new baseball stadium.

One major issue with a downtown stadium is that both the NFL and MLB have no fly zone roles and Im not sure if the Wheeler Downtown Airport would be in violation of those airspace rules.

1998 Civic EX
Protege94 is offline   Reply With Quote