Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2017-11-30, 01:10 PM   #251
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 158
Thanks (Received): 115
Likes (Given): 395
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

I was just going on the rates without deductions, because as has been discussed, its a byzantine mess of what you're buying, your past purchases, etc.

literally just googling what your taxes would be for 100k fed, state, etc.

I know that you can get cheaper cars, go to cheaper schools/work your way through it, etc... but as sleek and Ricer have agreed to, 100k can spend pretty fast without making ridiculous choices to spend on extravagant items or buying obnoxious cars or a large house.

you can being trying to do the right thing by going to state school for cost, graduating in four years with a degree, get a two bedroom apartment in OP or a cheaper house in Waldo, get two decent end-of-lease used cars, have employer-provided health insurance, put away small amount for retirement, and not live extravagantly after having gotten two good jobs and still have to worry about unexpected expenses month to month.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-30, 01:39 PM   #252
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 467
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 3994
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

^yup.

Crossing the six-figure salary line ain’t what it used to be 20 years ago.
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-30, 02:01 PM   #253
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
^yup.

Crossing the six-figure salary line ain’t what it used to be 20 years ago.
Nope.

With 2 young kids it seems to spend even faster with 1,100 a month in daycare. I still cant believe people that have to pay 1,500-1,800 per month.

Granted housing, child care, and car choices seem to play the biggest part in how fast the money goes.
Unread 2017-11-30, 03:08 PM   #254
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
I was just going on the rates without deductions, because as has been discussed, its a byzantine mess of what you're buying, your past purchases, etc.

literally just googling what your taxes would be for 100k fed, state, etc.

I know that you can get cheaper cars, go to cheaper schools/work your way through it, etc... but as sleek and Ricer have agreed to, 100k can spend pretty fast without making ridiculous choices to spend on extravagant items or buying obnoxious cars or a large house.

you can being trying to do the right thing by going to state school for cost, graduating in four years with a degree, get a two bedroom apartment in OP or a cheaper house in Waldo, get two decent end-of-lease used cars, have employer-provided health insurance, put away small amount for retirement, and not live extravagantly after having gotten two good jobs and still have to worry about unexpected expenses month to month.
It spends quickly but youre still higher on a lot of things.

Im over the mark and my fed rate was more like 15k, about a grand less for FICA, about a 2 grand less for state (although that varies) and this is without settling at the end of the year, that is just W2 take out. Also $500 for FAMILY insurance when, as you stated, you dont have a family. Ive never seen it that bad for anything subsidized. The BIG variable is that student loans. That is the payback on a $130,000 note. NOBODY, repeat NOBODY should but taking on that kind of debt for a $50k job. I made out with about $15k thanks to jobs and applying for any grant or scholarship possible. Well, that and living like a stereotypical college student.

The rest is about on point BUT I wouldn't say I live modestly. I have a new URBAN 3/2 with en suite and attached garage for me and my girlfriend, premium cable and phone service, a BMW and we certainly dont eat cheaply. I could very easily reduce those costs without having to take on an austere lifestyle. Id think it would be a hell of a lot easier in places like Kansas City as you go suburban far more quickly and far more cheaply.
Unread 2017-11-30, 03:53 PM   #255
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Also $500 for FAMILY insurance when, as you stated, you dont have a family. Ive never seen it that bad for anything subsidized.
our insurance through my wife's employer for her and I was $425 heavily subsidized at OPR, our insurance is now subsidized at KU Med and its $454 for just her and I.
Quote:
The BIG variable is that student loans. That is the payback on a $130,000 note. NOBODY, repeat NOBODY should but taking on that kind of debt for a $50k job. I made out with about $15k thanks to jobs and applying for any grant or scholarship possible. Well, that and living like a stereotypical college student.
https://studentaid.psu.edu/understan...imate-payments
that's two people who each borrowed $60k over four years which wouldn't cover the in-state cost of KU or Mizzou with room and board.

again, its pointless to go back and forth about the numbers, it was an attempt to get reasonable estimates at what a couple could easily pay if they were in KC just trying to live American society's version of the American dream on $100k/year. there is definitely fat to trim (do you need two decent cars, can't you 'cut the cord', why didn't you go to a cheaper school, etc) from most any budget but it was a good faith estimate and outside of the taxes being high all of it is based on real world (my own at various points mostly) numbers.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
Unread 2017-12-01, 02:58 PM   #256
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

so in case anyone ever thought that voting on changing 1/6th of the economy with a bill that was debated publicly for months and had hundreds of hours of hearings was bad because the all of the final language wasn't known until days before the vote?

they should be really concerned that there is a bill that would change to 100% of the economy that is scheduled for a vote in a couple of hours that hasn't been made public or finalized... and this one has only really existed in a select group's heads for a couple of weeks and there have been no meaningful hearings about impacts whatsoever and now the presumed authors of the bill are simply rejecting any factual analysis of the impacts based on what they've made public because when non-ideologues look at the impacts its fucking over 75% of the country pretty severely. and that's even when you play the Republican-preferred Dynamic Scoring game where you pretend like history hasn't shown us repeatedly that tax cuts don't stimulate meaningful job growth and you act like the Tax Fairy is real.
Unread 2017-12-01, 05:24 PM   #257
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 134
Likes (Given): 162
Likes (Received): 760
Dislikes (Received): 26

The right need a win so bad they are desperate to get something passed. Otherwise they've done nothing while controlling everything.
Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
Blessed are the gluttonous; May they feast us to famine and war

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
For the word is now death
And the word is now without light
The new beatitude:
"Fuck the doomed, you're on your own"
Oblique is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-21, 01:15 PM   #258
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

http://creativeplanning.com/news-art...form-update-3/

This is one of the better updates on the changes that I have ran across.
Unread 2017-12-21, 06:28 PM   #259
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 940
Thanks (Received): 340
Likes (Given): 6492
Likes (Received): 2774
Dislikes (Given): 133
Dislikes (Received): 137

Oh lawd.

All yuo folks whining about this are really just trolls that bitch simply because Trump and the right got this through. ATT and 5/3 bank just released great info pertaining to the cuts .Wells Fargo says they were going to raise the min wage prior, but I would think this just solidified it.

#MAGA
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-21, 07:11 PM   #260
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 467
Likes (Given): 49
Likes (Received): 3994
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 124

Trump/Pence 2020!
jwdb1fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 12:14 PM   #261
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek98 View Post
http://creativeplanning.com/news-art...form-update-3/

This is one of the better updates on the changes that I have ran across.
Yuck, I'm just realizing they didn't' double the standard deduction... they combined it with personal exemptions, and then increased it... still nice and simpler... but not as big a bump as I'd hoped.
Unread 2017-12-22, 12:35 PM   #262
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricerking13 View Post
Yuck, I'm just realizing they didn't' double the standard deduction... they combined it with personal exemptions, and then increased it... still nice and simpler... but not as big a bump as I'd hoped.
yeah, the tax cut that Obama made permanent was larger than the one Republicans just passed and most people don't think they even got a tax cut under Obama...

this really is quite the con job and there are a lot of marks playing right along... even with as ill-informed and partisan as most people are on most issues, this law is currently less popular than the last couple tax increases we've had because news organizations and mathematicians did a good job of describing what was actually in the bill and its impacts now and in the future.
Unread 2017-12-22, 12:53 PM   #263
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 1007
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mild83 View Post
Oh lawd.

All yuo folks whining about this are really just trolls that bitch simply because Trump and the right got this through. ATT and 5/3 bank just released great info pertaining to the cuts .Wells Fargo says they were going to raise the min wage prior, but I would think this just solidified it.

#MAGA
You should take note of those companies recently saying they'll be sending out special holiday bonuses, increasing wages, hiring, giving more charity, etc. Many of them have been in deep shit due to shady and illegal business practices (Well Fargo) and/or their appeasing to our Dear Leader because of their desire to complete a major merger (AT&T). These companies aren't doing much this out of the goodness of their heart. It's a calculated PR effort.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 12:56 PM   #264
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
yeah, the tax cut that Obama made permanent was larger than the one Republicans just passed and most people don't think they even got a tax cut under Obama...

this really is quite the con job and there are a lot of marks playing right along... even with as ill-informed and partisan as most people are on most issues, this law is currently less popular than the last couple tax increases we've had because news organizations and mathematicians did a good job of describing what was actually in the bill and its impacts now and in the future.
You are funny.

It's still a large simplification, it still reduces taxes for the vast majority, and even the left for the most part knows we need to reduce corporate taxes.

Other than HOW they passed it, and that it isn't remotely deficit neutral/reducing... it's a solid bill.

If now they get some D's to help make tweaks to it, and start reducing expenses... I'll love it. ONly sad part is the number one area we need to reduce expenses is military, and we're going the opposite way.
Unread 2017-12-22, 12:58 PM   #265
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
You should take note of those companies recently saying they'll be sending out special holiday bonuses, increasing wages, hiring, giving more charity, etc. Many of them have been in deep shit due to shady and illegal business practices (Well Fargo) and/or their appeasing to our Dear Leader because of their desire to complete a major merger (AT&T). These companies aren't doing much this out of the goodness of their heart. It's a calculated PR effort.
Just because a move makes for good PR, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Certainly be aware that these companies aren't just all of a sudden mother theresa... but fuck man enjoy when this shit works... if you look at the AT&T announcement as anything other than a huge win due to this tax bill... you are looking at it through partisan glasses.
Unread 2017-12-22, 01:12 PM   #266
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Has anyone found a good comparison calculator? I used one a few days ago and it appears my family would be getting a decent cut. Thing is, I don't want or need it because IMO, it's just robbing Paul to pay Peter. The key here is the future and the impacts from this. There's a state called Kansas where an idiot enacted similar tax reform with the idea that giving back to the rich would dramatically improve things. It didn't work out well and that guy currently works with Trump and was instrumental in this new plan. Go figure.

Most of us know companies aren't going to be paying their workers more from this and many companies have already indicated this. A company's goal is to maximize profit while paying a majority of it's employees just enough to keep them interested to do an acceptable job. Employment is at a low (and no, not really because of Trump, his effect was just a blip) and most that want to be working already are.

The GOP railroaded this through because they desperately needed a win and many of their donors essentially said do it or don't ask for money again. Once again, the GOP will make a mess of things and some else (typically a democrat) will have to come in, take the blame, clean up the mess, set things straight, and then another Republican will come in, blame the democrat, make a mess, and continue the historical cycle.
Unread 2017-12-22, 01:18 PM   #267
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Just because a move makes for good PR, doesn't mean it's a bad thing. Certainly be aware that these companies aren't just all of a sudden mother theresa... but fuck man enjoy when this shit works... if you look at the AT&T announcement as anything other than a huge win due to this tax bill... you are looking at it through partisan glasses.
I work in M&A. I see the financials. Most companies have been sitting on mountains of cash for years now and I see how much they pay their employees. If they really wanted to do something that was right, they would have done it years ago. For large companies like WF, AT&T, Comcast, etc., this is PR spin with a goal improve their business profits put themselves in a more positive light with the public and regulators. It's calculated.

I'm very much of the Country over Party mindset. I think both parties are terrible and the current GOP is downright frightening.
Unread 2017-12-22, 03:19 PM   #268
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 87
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1025
Dislikes (Received): 10

Step 1 reduce corporate tax rate

Step 2 raise minimum wage
turbotuner20v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 05:19 PM   #269
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 134
Likes (Given): 162
Likes (Received): 760
Dislikes (Received): 26

http://fox4kc.com/2017/12/20/hundred...ource=facebook
Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
Blessed are the gluttonous; May they feast us to famine and war

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
For the word is now death
And the word is now without light
The new beatitude:
"Fuck the doomed, you're on your own"
Oblique is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 05:47 PM   #270
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
"We’re adding people in many areas where we’re seeing increased customer demand for products and services. At the same time, technology improvements are driving higher efficiencies and there are some areas where demand for our legacy services continues to decline, and we’re adjusting our workforce in some of those areas as we continue to align our workforce with the changing needs of the business. Many of the affected employees have a job offer guarantee that ensures they’ll be offered another job with the company, and we’ll work to find other jobs for as many of them as possible.

As a result of decreasing work volume and to increase efficiency, we are consolidating some call center work currently done at one of our locations in Kansas City (2121 E. 63rd St.) into another company location in San Antonio. Affected employees will be offered the opportunity to work in our center in San Antonio, and a relocation allowance. Work volume at the center has been decreasing due in part to improvements in technology and customers’ increasing preference to communicate with us online."
Unread 2017-12-22, 05:54 PM   #271
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
I've laughed at a couple people on FB over this.

They have 200k employees to give raises to... letting go 600 people is .3% of their workforce. So it's like your local walmart with 300 employees firing ONE person.

Also as TurboTuner shared... they are being offered relocation options.
Unread 2017-12-22, 06:47 PM   #272
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I've laughed at a couple people on FB over this.

They have 200k employees to give raises to... letting go 600 people is .3% of their workforce. So it's like your local walmart with 300 employees firing ONE person.

Also as TurboTuner shared... they are being offered relocation options.
You don't see how ironic this is considering their bonus announcement within the same 24 hours?

Also, offering KC people a job in SA and some mediocre relocation allowance is a joke. They know damn well that the majority isn't going to move to Texas. LOL Again, companies are about profit, not it's employees. It's a business afterall. Profit maximization at almost any cost.
Unread 2017-12-22, 06:58 PM   #273
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 254
Likes (Given): 2537
Likes (Received): 1703
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
You are funny.

It's still a large simplification, it still reduces taxes for the vast majority, and even the left for the most part knows we need to reduce corporate taxes.

Other than HOW they passed it, and that it isn't remotely deficit neutral/reducing... it's a solid bill.

If now they get some D's to help make tweaks to it, and start reducing expenses... I'll love it. ONly sad part is the number one area we need to reduce expenses is military, and we're going the opposite way.
It seems the tax cuts are more conservative (as in, less of a cut for us middle class) than the initial bill. But we will see. I'm glad the education credit was retained. I don't know enough to totally condemn it yet. I agree, I wish military spending was lowered to help offset the deficit it causes
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 11:06 PM   #274
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
You don't see how ironic this is considering their bonus announcement within the same 24 hours?

Also, offering KC people a job in SA and some mediocre relocation allowance is a joke. They know damn well that the majority isn't going to move to Texas. LOL Again, companies are about profit, not it's employees. It's a business afterall. Profit maximization at almost any cost.
Why wouldn't they move? Is a call center career not worth considering relocation?
Unread 2017-12-24, 06:51 PM   #275
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
You are funny.

why do we need to lower corporate rates again? our effective rates are on par with the rest of the developed world.

sorry that I'm not gonna get worked up about the negligible economic impacts of effective corporate tax rates changing slightly and giving people who don't need it and likely won't use it the meaningful tax cuts while pushing some crumbs off the table for everyone else.

I didn't think you'd be this cheap to buy off... if they actually wanted to help the middle class, they could've given us these temporary tax cuts for 1/10th of the cost and still finance it with debt. but that wasn't the point for them... the point was a corporate tax cut and a high-earner tax cut with a pithy cut for everyone else that 80% of the country can see through.