Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Bikes

Unread 2015-07-10, 12:22 PM   #1
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 107
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 519
Likes (Received): 1123
Default E-bikes

Have any of you built an e-bike? I'm about to start my build here. I've always wanted to do something like this ever since I was a kid and playing with RC cars. I still play with RC cars, so to me, this is just a big RC car I can ride.

I ordered a Bafang BBS02 750 watt mid drive unit and a 48v 13Ah battery. I went cheap and ordered straight from Hong Kong. The battery showed up last night, so I'm ready to put this all together. Looks fun.

"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:24 PM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 3951
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

In, can you post costs as you do this?
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:25 PM   #3
bmxbang

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 63
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 1

Nice, what bike is it going on? Definitely post updates can't wait to see it come together
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:41 PM   #4
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

I'm $827 into it for everything I needed, not including the bike. I already have the bike. I'm putting this on my mountain bike that I commute with from time to time. I still have my road bike for 100% human powered. I went with the mid drive, which costs a little more than a hub drive. For hub drives, if you're a tinker-er like me and like to build stuff, I've found that www.bmsbattery.com has everything you need. They ship direct from Hong Kong. It just take a little research to figure out which parts and pieces go with what. This is my first try at it, so if things go well, I'll do a hub drive on my wife's bike. You should be able to get everything for a hub drive for $600 or less.

I wasn't looking for an all out speed monster. And in reality, this won't make my bike have a faster top speed, it's just that it won't slow down for hills. I'm already hitting 30+ mph on my commute down hill. I'm not a lycra guy, and mountain bikes don't go fast up a hill (especially with me riding it). This will change that. KS law says bikes with no more than 1000 watts and incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground are legal and do not need to be registered. I should be good here. The 20 mph thing is iffy, as with pedaling, the kit will exceed 20 mph.

Here's the law
Quote:
8-1489. “Electric-assisted bicycle” defined.
“Electric-assisted bicycle” means a bicycle with two or three wheels, a saddle, fully operative pedals for human propulsion, and an electric motor. The electric-assisted bicycle’s electric motor must have a power output of no more than 1,000 watts, be incapable of propelling the device at a speed of more than 20 miles per hour on level ground and incapable of further increasing the speed of the device when human power alone is used to propel the device beyond 20 miles per hour.
So the question is, can the motor continue to supply enough power for 20 mph, and your legs can push you above that speed and be "legal"? Or, does the motor have to cut out completely at 20 mph? I know there's not a lot of e-bikes in our part of the country yet, so I don't really see a problem unless I'm riding like an a-hole, or doing 30 mph down a sidewalk or bike trail.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump

Last edited by Corners; 2015-07-10 at 01:13 PM..
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:45 PM   #5
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

On a semi-related note, holy fast shipping!!! And this was just random ebay guy.

Quote:
Delivered - Signed for by
Jul-09-15, 13:16 PM, KANSAS CITY,MO

With delivery courier
Jul-09-15, 09:43 AM, KANSAS CITY,MO

Arrived at Delivery Facility in KANSAS CITY,MO-USA
Jul-09-15, 08:39 AM, KANSAS CITY,MO

Arrived at Sort Facility CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Jul-09-15, 06:29 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Departed Facility in CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Jul-09-15, 06:23 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Processed at CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Jul-09-15, 05:08 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Clearance processing complete at CINCINNATI HUB,OH-USA
Jul-09-15, 03:25 AM, CINCINNATI HUB,OH

Departed Facility in HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Jul-08-15, 23:23 PM, HONG KONG

Processed at HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Jul-08-15, 23:19 PM, HONG KONG

Arrived at Sort Facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG
Jul-08-15, 17:36 PM, HONG KONG

Shipment picked up
Jul-08-15, 14:36 PM, HONG KONG

Shipment information received
Jul-07-15, 16:13 PM, HONG KONG
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:45 PM   #6
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting...sounds like fun!
Unread 2015-07-10, 12:50 PM   #7
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
Interesting...sounds like fun!
Yeah! It's like adult Powerwheels.
Unread 2015-07-10, 03:37 PM   #8
bmxbang

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 63
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 1

In your situation i wouldn't even worry about the laws. chances are the cops won't even realize your bike is battery powered they will just think your a beast of a bike rider. Now if you where throwing a gas engine on it that would maybe be a different story.
Unread 2015-07-10, 04:20 PM   #9
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxbang View Post
In your situation i wouldn't even worry about the laws. chances are the cops won't even realize your bike is battery powered they will just think your a beast of a bike rider. Now if you where throwing a gas engine on it that would maybe be a different story.
I believe that will be the case for the time being. There's just not many e-bikes running around JoCo at the moment. At least, I don't notice them. I see one guy every once in a while driving to work. He does 30 mph down Quivira and is pedaling along like he's a beast, only when you look at him, it doesn't look like he's struggling at all.

If you get enough jackasses, they can ruin a good thing. Like in NYC, e-bikes are banned, mostly because of people breaking the law. It doesn't make sense to me to ban something that can be used legally just because some people choose to break the law with it. It'd be like banning a Ferrari in neighborhoods because they have the ability to go 200 mph.

I just want to be like this...
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McV86SbAkNY
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bmxbang liked this post
Unread 2015-07-10, 04:24 PM   #10
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2439
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Wooowww... that friggen movie.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-12, 10:47 PM   #11
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I got it mostly installed. I just have to do some soldering to put some proper bullet connectors on the battery and clean up some wiring. But, that didn't stop me from wire nutting the power and riding down the street in my underwear. All I have to report is, it's quiet and fast. I'll finish it up this week and do some proper testing with numbers. I have a soccer game tomorrow, and 2 on Tuesday, so I should have time Wednesday. Maybe ride to work Thursday.
Unread 2015-07-13, 09:34 AM   #12
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 261
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 1780
Likes (Received): 1700
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Looks good. I have checked out the kits in the past, mostly with hub motors, and they all seemed like more than I wanted to spend, for what I got. The cheaper kits had almost no distance, speed, and had heavy batteries, and it went up from there, fast.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-13, 10:11 AM   #13
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
Looks good. I have checked out the kits in the past, mostly with hub motors, and they all seemed like more than I wanted to spend, for what I got. The cheaper kits had almost no distance, speed, and had heavy batteries, and it went up from there, fast.
Yeah, the economics don't work. I just wanted it. I also had some "extra" PayPal money from stuff I've sold.

I'm another step closer to being a hippy. I own a Subaru, Merrell shoes, an electric lawnmower, and now an e-bike. I should grow a beard and stop bathing.
Likes Billy Mild liked this post
Unread 2015-07-13, 10:14 AM   #14
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 261
Thanks (Received): 231
Likes (Given): 1780
Likes (Received): 1700
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

I actually think an electric (battery powered) mower could be really neat. I have a big ass yard or I would get one (I have a 30" toro timemaster walk behind now). I could mow at 6am and not piss off the world.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-13, 10:31 AM   #15
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
I actually think an electric (battery powered) mower could be really neat. I have a big ass yard or I would get one (I have a 30" toro timemaster walk behind now). I could mow at 6am and not piss off the world.
I just have a standard JoCo lot, so about 0.25 acers. But take away the house, driveway, deck, swimming pool, and landscaping, and I don't really have much grass. The only thing I found with the electric mower is, you need to keep the blade sharp. It does great as long as you're actually cutting the grass. The 6+ HP gas mowers are way better at ripping the grass apart with a blunt spinning bar of a blade. Sharp blade, and not excessively wet, and there's no problem, even with long-ish grass.
Unread 2015-07-13, 12:27 PM   #16
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Would you mind taking some video on the bike? I wanna see this shit in action!
Unread 2015-07-13, 10:04 PM   #17
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'll take a video sometime in the next few days.

I finished up the wiring.

The weight in commuter mode with rack was 31.2 lbs. The weight of the bike with rack is now 48.8 lbs. I don't that it's that bad for a 1 HP bike.

A couple things I've noticed. If you have the pedal assist (PAS) in level 9 (max), you have to be careful when doing low speed turns. Just a little peddling means full throttle, which is more than I expected. So, one way around that is to pull the brakes just a little, which hits the motor cutoff switch. Also, PAS only assists up to a set speed, which I found in the password protected menu. The thumb throttle overrides the PAS and will give maximum power. I did this with throttle only, no peddling, on a slight downhill. That felt pretty damn fast for a mountain bike.

Unread 2015-07-16, 10:27 AM   #18
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

I rode to work for the first time today. 6 miles in 19 mins. Easy. The battery is still showing 5/5 bars, but we'll see how that goes. If it's like any other cheap battery meter I've seen that simply reads voltage, they are not linear.

On interesting thing I found today is, drivers see a bicycle and automatically think "must get in front of bike", regardless of how fast you are going. I have just over a mile of neighborhood riding I have to take as a detour around the bridge that is out on 103rd St. This was all flat to slightly down hill, so I can easily hold 25 mph. No problem. So, I'm going along at 25-28 mph, and this car pulls up behind me, guns it to pass me, then slams on the brakes and continues to go the same speed as me. I follow along, then up comes another car. They gun it past, then cut me off to squeeze in behind the car I'm following, and continue to go the same speed. I follow both cars for about half a mile and we go our separate ways at a stop sign.

Then there was the Lamar roundabout. I had a guy pull up next to me in my lane, go the same speed as me, then cut right in front of me turning right as I was continuing straight through. I don't really understand that move either. He was literally pacing me while I rode next to his passenger door. Oh well. Years of motorcycle riding prepared me of the retardedness of a lot of drivers, so i saw it coming. I could have totally held my line and got ran over and sued him if I wanted.

Let's see what the ride home brings!
Unread 2015-07-16, 10:34 AM   #19
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 481
Likes (Given): 4077
Likes (Received): 4362
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 166

Don't get run over bro!
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2015-07-16, 11:02 AM   #20
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
Don't get run over bro!
That's the plan.

Likes Karlen liked this post
Unread 2015-07-16, 11:13 AM   #21
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

That's what I love about where I live. Bike lanes and huge sidewalks make riding to get somewhere within a reasonable distance a lot less scary.
Unread 2015-07-16, 11:28 AM   #22
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
That's what I love about where I live. Bike lanes and huge sidewalks make riding to get somewhere within a reasonable distance a lot less scary.
It really wasn't "scary". The roads were wide, and there's not that much traffic in the morning. I have some time paths to use a well. I just thought it was strange how fast people went in a residential area just to get in front of a bike going the same speed. The cars were going 35-40 mph when they passed me (in a 25 mph zone).

There's no bike lane or path through the Lamar roundabout. People are just clueless there.
Unread 2015-07-16, 12:07 PM   #23
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

My buddy lives at 103rd and nieman area and I've noticed the same. People there FLY through the neighborhoods. They ride your ass too if you drive 25.
Unread 2015-07-16, 07:18 PM   #24
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

The ride home was uneventful. Went fast. All drivers were courteous. Battery is showing 4/5 bars static, and 2/5 under full load (1000+ watts).

New top speed record...
Likes Zoomin liked this post

Last edited by Corners; 2015-07-16 at 07:20 PM..
Unread 2015-07-19, 10:42 PM   #25
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quick video. This was top gear, which I've found is a little too tall geared for normal use. I have the 46T chainring. It needs a 40 or 42 tooth. I'm going to re-gear it so it tops out at 25 mph at a reasonable cadence.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYBZDoiAs1I

Last edited by Corners; 2015-07-20 at 10:21 AM..