Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2017-11-10, 03:28 PM   #301
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 193
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1317
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
^^ I fixed it for you.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-10, 08:09 PM   #302
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4971
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Not to mention it takes two fucking days of driving to get to Destin vs a couple hour flight. You're paying for what your time is worth. So basically if you want the same time in Destin you have to tack on 4 days of travel on to that. No thanks.
Its a 15 hr drive. Hardly two days.
Unread 2017-11-10, 08:57 PM   #303
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 461
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3913
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post

lol
Unread 2017-11-11, 05:11 AM   #304
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 173
Likes (Received): 231
Dislikes (Given): 66
Dislikes (Received): 11

Quote:
15 hours with multiple kids? Most definitely 2 days worth.
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-12, 09:14 AM   #305
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 105
Thanks (Received): 59
Likes (Given): 827
Likes (Received): 293
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:

15 hours straight non stop.

We just did the drive to Orlando earlier this year. It’s calculated at 18 hours non stop but took 24 hours due to having to stop for gas, food and other things along the way. We decided the next time we drive that far, we’re going to stop somewhere halfway thru and stay the night. The drive back sucked even worse.
Unread 2017-11-12, 04:17 PM   #306
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan H. View Post
15 hours with multiple kids? Most definitely 2 days worth.
We've left in the evening each time and drove through the night. Our son sleeps half the drive. Usually get there about 11am-noon. Have the rest of the day at the beach then off to bed at normal time.

Everyone's family is obviously different. But driving is 1) cheaper and 2) works for us.
Unread 2017-11-16, 01:40 PM   #307
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 110
Likes (Received): 170
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15

What airlines are you guys using to and from Destin travel?
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-14, 09:32 PM   #308
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Council has rejected the memorandum of understanding with Edgemoor, the company selected to design a new, single-terminal Kansas City airport, and the city may be negotiating with another firm in the future.

Kansas City Councilman Jermaine Reed tweeted Thursday that the negotiation was unsuccessful, and the MOU failed in a 9-4 vote. Councilman Quinton Lucas told Fox 4's Dave D'Marko that the four votes in support of Edgemoor's MOU came from the project's key supporters: Mayor Sly James and council members Jolie Justus, Jermaine Reed and Kathryn Shields.

The negotiations between the city and Edgemoor are now terminated, Reed said.

A memorandum of understanding is a document between parties that outlines the agreement -- in this case, the new airport project.

According to the Kansas City Star, a proposed community benefits package seems to be the reason for the dissent.

"In terms of what is next, we proceed accordingly, and citizens of Kansas City can be assured we will continue to work diligently during the next days and weeks ahead to get the best, world-class airport for our city," Reed said in a statement.

Reed said the city council has created a new resolution that would allow the city to negotiate with AECOM, another firm. If that negotiation would also fail, other firms like Burns and McDonnell could be considered.

But first, the new resolution will be assigned to a committee of Mayor Sly James' choosing, which is expected to be formed in the next 24 hours. That committee will decide what's next for Kansas City's new single-terminal airport.

James was not supportive of the council's decision.

"It's unfortunate that progress on the project will be slowed by today's vote," he said on Twitter. "This simply isn't the way a city that values facts and data does business."

But Reed said he plans to keep progress up on the plan.

"Despite what has occurred today, I am redoubling my efforts starting tonight to work hard to ensure that progress and forward motion on this development will continue,” Reed said. “We will not stop. We will not give up."

Edgemoor had a meeting scheduled Thursday night to get feedback on designs from the community. It was abruptly canceled after the city announced its rejection

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-18, 04:10 PM   #309
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

AECOM, Burns & McDonnell teaming up on a renewed KCI bid

AECOM came up second to Edgemoor during the request for proposals

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — AECOM, the Los Angeles firm leading KCI Partnership, announced Monday that Burns & McDonnell is now working with them in a renewed push to get the contract for the new single terminal Kansas City International Airport.
Mike Handleman of AECOM KCI said the project has to have as “much local expertise as possible.” The AECOM-Burns & McDonnell partnership also includes Black Chamber of Commerce of Greater Kansas City and Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. Kelvin Perry, president of the Black Chamber of Commerce of Greater Kansas City, said Edgemoor’s minority business plan was less than other proposals for KCI.

The possibility of a AECOM-Burns & McDonnell partnership has circulated since the Kansas City Council voted 9-4 last Thursday to defeat the memorandum of understanding with Edgemoor Infrastructure and Real Estate.

This week the council is expected to discuss a resolution to end negotiations with Edgemoor and start talks with KCI Partnership. KCI Partnership came up second to Edgemoor during the city's request for proposals and qualifications earlier this year. Burns & McDonnell is a Kansas City based firm.
After last week’s “shocking” turn of events, Maylor Sly James sent the ordinance to end talks with Edgemoor to the Council Airport Committee where it's expected to be a hot topic with the council this week.
Handleman said the KCI Partnership can execute full memorandum of understanding in 30 day’s after getting into deal, but Edgemoor is still the selected developer as of today. In a tweet Monday morning, Edgemoor said it remains committed to working with Kansas City to build the airport.
“Thank you to the Kansas Citians who support the new terminal and our team – especially the hundreds of residents who joined our design workshops,” the tweet said. “We are still with you, KC, and committed to this project.”

Last edited by JDLM; 2017-12-18 at 04:17 PM..
Unread 2017-12-18, 04:33 PM   #310
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that cute? Burns & McDonnell cried and yet here they are....
Unread 2017-12-18, 05:05 PM   #311
turbotuner20v

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 22
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 50
Likes (Received): 1011
Dislikes (Received): 10

And now watch the price climb and the quality decrease as we find the required 40% small, women/minority owned businesses to fill the contractor requirements (all paid at union wages and benefits tho, even though unions can't be used due to having too few minorities and women).

I'm all for some type of Rooney Rule for business, but the contract should go to the best bidder, not to meet a quota.
Unread 2017-12-19, 09:26 AM   #312
beaterKU

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 122
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 95
Dislikes (Received): 1

Burns and Mac, the firm that just won't go away. They are always snaking themselves into anything they can. We've encountered them on numerous occasions "buying" jobs. They are completely and blatantly unethical in their business dealings. I am sure they bought and paid for the KCMO city council to drive this change of heart.
beaterKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-19, 05:05 PM   #313
95PreludeSE

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 100
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotuner20v View Post
And now watch the price climb and the quality decrease as we find the required 40% small, women/minority owned businesses to fill the contractor requirements (all paid at union wages and benefits tho, even though unions can't be used due to having too few minorities and women).

I'm all for some type of Rooney Rule for business, but the contract should go to the best bidder, not to meet a quota.
Holy shit yes, I hate that all across industries bids, contracts, even procurement is all trying to meet a quota for this kind of bullshit.

If you want to make a fortune? Be a woman or minority that starts a construction, industrial/electric/power testing, or startup/commissioning company. Diversity quotas will have companies knocking your door down.
95PreludeSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-19, 05:27 PM   #314
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 193
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1317
Dislikes (Received): 25

A significant amount of companies are Women or Minority owned just for that reason.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-20, 01:04 PM   #315
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3417
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
But what does that mean with regards to more aircraft and people?

Will more people come to KC because it has a better airport?

Will the airport now be a hub?
I'm just one person but I can tell you right now I'll never fly out of KC again until they get a new airport. I'd rather pay $300 extra and fly out of Omaha than deal with that garbage ass layout and terminals with one urinal for 400 men
Unread 2017-12-20, 02:24 PM   #316
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2498
Likes (Received): 1686
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
I'm just one person but I can tell you right now I'll never fly out of KC again until they get a new airport. I'd rather pay $300 extra and fly out of Omaha than deal with that garbage ass layout and terminals with one urinal for 400 men
flown out of MCI literally 50+ times, never thought it was any kind of problem, relative to most other airports.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-20, 02:37 PM   #317
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 461
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3913
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
flown out of MCI literally 50+ times, never thought it was any kind of problem, relative to most other airports.
No shit.
Unread 2017-12-20, 02:45 PM   #318
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

There's lots of people that would agree with you and lots that would agree with me.

i've never been to another airport with only 4-5 gates in each security area and no restaurants of any kind in any of them... i would hate to have a layover in that shithole.
Unread 2017-12-21, 09:39 AM   #319
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
There's lots of people that would agree with you and lots that would agree with me.

i've never been to another airport with only 4-5 gates in each security area and no restaurants of any kind in any of them... i would hate to have a layover in that shithole.
That's why they want to rebuild it... to make it reasonable for layovers. As it is, there are almost no layovers at MCI.

The airport is so quick, if you're in the gate long enough to get anything more than a quick coffee, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't need restaurants.
Unread 2017-12-21, 09:47 AM   #320
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
That's why they want to rebuild it... to make it reasonable for layovers. As it is, there are almost no layovers at MCI.

The airport is so quick, if you're in the gate long enough to get anything more than a quick coffee, you're doing it wrong. It doesn't need restaurants.
you need to get to the airport a lot earlier for international flights, and there are also a lot of people who come from outside of the kc metro who will get there early in case of delays on the drive there... yes, if you are coming from KC, show up 45 minutes before your flight, duh. that's not everybody's situation though.

shit, omaha has a 10x better terminal layout and it's a much less traveled airport.
Unread 2017-12-21, 09:49 AM   #321
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not opposed to the plans of rebuilding and making it a better airport, don't get me wrong. Currently though, it has been a really awesome airport to deal with regularly when I was travelling for my job. No complaints about the current deal.
Unread 2017-12-21, 02:12 PM   #322
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
you need to get to the airport a lot earlier for international flights, and there are also a lot of people who come from outside of the kc metro who will get there early in case of delays on the drive there... yes, if you are coming from KC, show up 45 minutes before your flight, duh. that's not everybody's situation though.

shit, omaha has a 10x better terminal layout and it's a much less traveled airport.
Kansas City does need a new terminal for sure and the amenities are pretty weak compared to most mid-major airports. The airport wasn't designed to handle the 9/11 changes. However, there are a few things I want to point out. There is access to restaurants when you're in the gate area. They're on the upper level, above the gate area. Access is via an elevator. If you're stuck on an extended layover or delayed extensively, there's nothing stopping you from leaving the gate area and coming back in through security. Rarely will you spend more than 20 minutes in the security line and in most cases it's less than 10 minutes, start to finish. The bathroom situation is certainly problematic.

With all that said, I love the fact that I can leave my home in Shawnee, get parked in the parking garage, and checking into the security gate in 45 minutes. That's unheard of. When I lived in Atlanta, I had to leave my house a 400am to make a 700am flight and I only lived 25 miles from the airport. Even with a 3 hour lead time, I sometimes barely made my flight.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 09:46 AM   #323
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
With all that said, I love the fact that I can leave my home in Shawnee, get parked in the parking garage, and checking into the security gate in 45 minutes. That's unheard of. When I lived in Atlanta, I had to leave my house a 400am to make a 700am flight and I only lived 25 miles from the airport. Even with a 3 hour lead time, I sometimes barely made my flight.
I flew every week for 4 years out of ATL and never needed a 3 hour lead time.
Unread 2017-12-22, 01:24 PM   #324
Dave B

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 25
Likes (Received): 998
Dislikes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
I flew every week for 4 years out of ATL and never needed a 3 hour lead time.
You must have lived right next the airport then. I lived in John's Creek. The drive, depending on traffic (traffic at 4am in ATL is like 7am traffic in KC, LOL), to get parked, and get to the security gate was 1 to 1.2 hours. Depending on which day of the week it was, security would take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Then another 15 to 20 minutes to get to my gate. And then it was usually time to board (30 minutes prior to departure). So yeah, a solid 3 hour lead time.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-22, 01:34 PM   #325
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Officials vote to get KCI negotiations with Edgemoor back on track

[IMG]https://media.bizj.us/view/img/6142301/kansas-city-hall-02*750xx2000-2667-0-0.jpg[/IMG] Enlarge

A resolution that threatened to replace Edgemoor Infrastructure & Real Estate LLC as the developer of the $1 billion single-terminal modernization of Kansas City International Airport was not even voted on during a Thursday meeting of the City Council's Airport Committee.
Instead, the committee voted 6-0 to recommend a substitute resolution that calls for continued negotiations on a memorandum of understanding with Edgemoor. The resolution, which was crafted by Mayor Sly James with input from councilmen Jermaine Reed and Quinton Lucas, lays out a schedule of MOU negotiating sessions aimed at reaching an agreement or impasse between the city and Edgemoor by the end of January.
The resolution is expected to be adopted by the full City Council during its 3 p.m. legislative session.
Edgemoor, one of four candidates for the job of designing, building and privately financing the new one-terminal KCI (Code: MCI), won the recommendation of a selection committee and approval by the City Council in September.
But Edgemoor's status fell into question on Dec. 14, after the City Council voted 9-4 to reject a proposed MOU that would have completed the city’s procurement of the Maryland-based firm and laid out the path to a final development agreement governing the project.