Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2013-03-06, 10:43 AM   #26
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4369
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

Holy hell this thread brought out the idiots.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-06, 11:39 AM   #27
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
it worked pretty well against Iran and Iraq but we didn't follow up with support. it can be argued that sanctions against Gadhafi did some good once the uprising started...

Cuba (imo) was more about curbing their ambitions to be involved in international affairs (which they weren't). I would agree that they should be lifted in Cuba but with NK (again imo) the sanctions are as much about limiting their trade in general because they have nuclear tech that they would presumably sell to just about anyone.

sanctions can do a lot of good but they need to have a defined purpose or they simply become punitive without reason.
I agree with this.

The Cuban sanctions are pretty much for no reason at this point other than to maintain the old ways. Cuba is definitely a country I think we could have mutual benefits with. Travel, trade, etc. They are literally just off the coast of Florida and we still treat it like a leper colony because of the decades past crisis.

Unfortunately it seems to constantly get overlooked or ignored due to other pressing matters at hand.

NK and Iran, I think the sanctions serve a purpose and especially in Iran they have had a big effect, arguably on the wrong "group" (the public vs the govt) and seems to have forced the govt to shift away from helping its own people and focusing on their other concerns.

IMO, this would be a completely different outcome than the last Korean War if it came to that again. The North it seems is using very outdated tech, even though they have a lot of it, and the South seemingly would be able to make the numbers a non-issue due to the difference in tech.

Hopefully SK can do something unilaterally or with limited support (air and supplies) from the US. Maybe a real life zerg rush or something

Ultimately it seems like something needs to, or is going to, happen. The question is what finally breaks the dam and kicks it all off.
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-06, 11:59 AM   #28
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Ultimately it seems like something needs to, or is going to, happen. The question is what finally breaks the dam and kicks it all off.
Unfortunetly, It will probably be NK that makes the first move. His chest pounding will carry over to actually doing something 'to honor his father'.
He is nothing more than a young kid with a power trip. It always ends badly, and hurts way more people than just themselves.
Unread 2013-03-06, 12:28 PM   #29
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
I agree with this.

The Cuban sanctions are pretty much for no reason at this point other than to maintain the old ways. Cuba is definitely a country I think we could have mutual benefits with. Travel, trade, etc. They are literally just off the coast of Florida and we still treat it like a leper colony because of the decades past crisis.

Unfortunately it seems to constantly get overlooked or ignored due to other pressing matters at hand.

NK and Iran, I think the sanctions serve a purpose and especially in Iran they have had a big effect, arguably on the wrong "group" (the public vs the govt) and seems to have forced the govt to shift away from helping its own people and focusing on their other concerns.

IMO, this would be a completely different outcome than the last Korean War if it came to that again. The North it seems is using very outdated tech, even though they have a lot of it, and the South seemingly would be able to make the numbers a non-issue due to the difference in tech.

Hopefully SK can do something unilaterally or with limited support (air and supplies) from the US. Maybe a real life zerg rush or something

Sanctions rarely harm the government directly but almost always harm the citizens directly. I guess I'm not a fan of the idea of attacking the citizens of a country in any fashion (call it the liberal side of me).

I think the key to a second Korean conflict would be who would, if anyone, come to the aid of DPRK. China did in the first go around and that was key.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-06, 01:40 PM   #30
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 926
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6347
Likes (Received): 2732
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

It's not possible to fight a War like WWII nowadays and not be vilified by bleeding hearts and the global community.
mild83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-06, 01:41 PM   #31
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 45
Likes (Given): 171
Likes (Received): 231
Dislikes (Given): 66
Dislikes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Sanctions rarely harm the government directly but almost always harm the citizens directly. I guess I'm not a fan of the idea of attacking the citizens of a country in any fashion (call it the liberal side of me).

I think the key to a second Korean conflict would be who would, if anyone, come to the aid of DPRK. China did in the first go around and that was key.
With how tied the Chinese are financially with us, I almost find it hard that they would jump in. Probably the reason why N. Korea hasn't gone south.
Ryan H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-06, 03:35 PM   #32
shaun y
Mr 49er

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 164
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 3416
Likes (Received): 1009
Dislikes (Given): 187
Dislikes (Received): 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Pretty much, guy reads something on wiki and he's a subject matter expert.

Everything looks amazing on paper and the numbers must be true

I will say there have been 2 veterans that have posted, that have been in Korea and have been through similar class/briefs on the forces of N. Korea, so really don't think I am going to go w/ Bryan Wheat
maybe if when you vets post it wasn't always smoke and mirrors "i have had briefings and you're wrong but i won't elaborate as to how or why," people would start giving a shit about what you say. i swear to god i have never heard so much "it's top secret i can't talk about it, but just know i'm right and you're wrong" shit in my entire life and i grew up in military.
Unread 2013-03-06, 03:42 PM   #33
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun y View Post
maybe if when you vets post it wasn't always smoke and mirrors "i have had briefings and you're wrong but i won't elaborate as to how or why," people would start giving a shit about what you say. i swear to god i have never heard so much "it's top secret i can't talk about it, but just know i'm right and you're wrong" shit in my entire life and i grew up in military.
It has been explained on here multiple times. Go back and read.
Unread 2013-03-06, 04:01 PM   #34
djquik1

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 80
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 544
Likes (Received): 318
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 15

Quote:

I'm sure you did, but I bet your parent(s) that were in the military didn't have clearance otherwise you would have heard statements like that when talking about world issues.
Unread 2013-03-06, 08:27 PM   #35
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
There is a huge difference in being in the military and being around the military even with family members serving. There are documents labeled SECRET and TOP SECRET for a reason.

It's not smoke and mirrors there's information out there on the internet about the fighting force of the North Korean Army, I know this (I am a huge history buff) so knowing that look back in the history of the country and basically play connect the dots. It's all there if you are willing to look for it. They put on all these huge parades all the time and about 95% of the time it's all a propaganda movement like everything that they do.

I am sure a lot of people think "Oh there are US Troops there that will stop them" If you think the US is there to prevent the North from invading the South, you are mistaken the US forces are a mere speedbump and that is all. The peninsula is always fighting and firing shots at one another daily, but those instances don't get reported anywhere except inside of the country.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-07, 11:12 AM   #36
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35
Default North Korea Threatens Nuclear Attack on U.S.

These guys are nuts

Quote:
07/03/2013 09:10 AM
KCNA via
EPA North
Korean
soldiers
cheer
during
combat
UN passes sanctions despite North Korea threat of 'pre-emptive nuclear attack'
By F. Brinley Bruton and Ian Johnston, NBC News
Thu Mar 7, 2013 4:36 AM EST NBCNews.com
The United Nations Security Council slapped new sanctions on North Korea over its latest nuclear test hours
after Pyongyang threatened to exercise its "right to pre-emptive nuclear attack" Thursday.
"Now that the U.S. is set to light a fuse for a nuclear war, the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK will
exercise the right to a pre-emptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors and to defend the
supreme interests of the country," the North's foreign ministry spokesman said in a statement carried by the official
KCNA news agency. "The U.S. is massively deploying armed forces for aggression, including nuclear carrier task
force and strategic bombers, enough to fight a nuclear war under the smokescreen of 'annual drills'."
Later on Thursday, the U.N. Security Council passed sanctions aimed at North Korea's financial transactions and
illicit cargo shipments, and its criminal activities such as drugs and counterfeiting.
After the vote, Susan Rice, the U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, said that the "entire world stands united in
our commitment to the de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula and in our demand that North Korea complies
with its international obligations."
Asked about North Korea’s threat to carry out a pre-emptive nuclear attack, Rice said that it would "achieve
nothing by continued threats and provocations," adding that such comments would "only further isolate" the
country and its people.
The vote was passed unanimously by the 15 members of the Security Council, including China, the North's one
major diplomatic ally.
China’s ambassador to the U.N., Li Baodong, said China hoped to see the resumption of diplomacy to try to
reduce tensions.
"We need wisdom, we need persistence, perseverance, we need teamwork … to bring down the heat," Li said.
"This is our focus."
South Korea’s envoy Kim Sook said North Korea choosing the wrong path could lead to its "self-destruction."
"We all have seen (today's) announcement coming out of Pyongyang, which is very hostile," he said.
Earlier, a spokesman for South Korea's defense ministry told Reuters that the military was "watching the North's
activities and stepping up readiness."
Saber-rattling?
On Wednesday, the South Korean military said it would strike back at North Korea and target its top leadership if
Pyongyang attacks.
Tensions have ratcheted higher across the Korean Peninsula since the North, under youthful leader Kim Jong Un
who took office just over a year ago after the death of his father, launched a long-range rocket last December. He
followed this with a third nuclear test on February 12.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...e-emptive-Page 2 of 3 07/03/2013 09:10 AM
training at
an
undisclosed
location on
Wednesday.
Earlier in the week, Pyongyang threatened to end the 60-year truce that ended the Korean war.
Angus Walker, a Beijing-based correspondent with NBC News' partner ITV News, said the current consensus
was that North Korea did not have a missile that was capable of carrying a nuclear warhead.
"There is always a lot of saber-rattling when the U.S. and South Korea stage large-scale military exercises," he
said.
The North does have smaller missiles, as seen during military parades, and South Korea's capital Seoul is within
artillery range.
While the North has in the past threatened to hit Seoul with a "rain of fire," claiming it can launch 250,000 artillery
shells in an hour at the South Korean capital, the reality is that those artillery batteries could be destroyed very
quickly, Walker said.
War-game scenarios have suggested that a war on the peninsula would be over quickly, with the North under U.S.
and South Korean control within 24 hours, he said.
However, Walker suggested the nightmare scenarios are that the North could somehow get a truck-loaded device
into the South or launch a "dirty bomb" in an artillery shell.
Earlier this week, the Korea Economic Institute warned that Pyongyang could "certainly inflict serious damage
along the Southern side of the [demilitarized zone] in the event of a surprise attack" using artillery.
It added:
Taken together, North Korea’s forward deployed long-range artillery could launch as many as 20,000
shells an hour at downtown Seoul ... However, it is important to underscore that these are best-case
figures (from North Korea’s military point of view) and in all reality, performance and frequency of
the bombardment would be much lower than the numbers detailed above.
...300 artillery pieces in direct range of Seoul is of course a serious concern for allied commanders. A
“sea of fire” might not be the result in case of their use, but it is evident that tens of thousands of
civilians could die and even more injured if they were used in an indiscriminate way.
The Korea Economic Institute also pointed out that North Korea "reportedly has chemical munitions" that could be
fired using artillery. In 2011, Pyongyang reportedly had 1.2 military personnel at its disposal.
Next steps
Seoul-based analyst Daniel Pinkston, North East Asia deputy project director with the International Crisis Group,
said North Korea’s comments were "a little bit more serious" than its usual hostile rhetoric. He said Pyongyang
appeared to see the moves to impose further sanctions on North Korea as similar to the preludes to the U.S.-led
invasions of Afghanistan and Iraq.
Pinkston said President Barack Obama should respond by stressing there was no intention to invade North Korea.
But he also said the president should warn North Korea that if it "were ever to use nuclear weapons it would be
your complete destruction and all the leadership would perish."
Pinkston said it would be suicide for North Korea to launch a nuclear attack, and doubted it would do so. But he
added that there was "some kind of miscalculation" was always possible.
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...e-emptive-Page 3 of 3 07/03/2013 09:10 AM
He said the U.S. had to stay in a diplomatic "Goldilocks" zone: It had to appear strong to deter North Korean
aggression, but not so strong that the regime decided an attack was imminent.
"I think displaying a formidable amount of force that’s credible and can impose huge costs on them, I think that
gets their attention and they are more likely to behave themselves," Pinkston said.
Reuters and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes JDLM liked this post
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-07, 11:20 AM   #37
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Merged threads due to North Korean response

Unread 2013-03-07, 04:32 PM   #38
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

U.N. Approves China-Backed Sanctions on North Korea

Bebeto Matthews/Associated Press
The United Nations Security Council unanimously approved new sanctions on Thursday against North Korea.

The United Nations Security Council approved a new regimen of sanctions on Thursday against North Korea for its underground nuclear test last month in a unanimous vote that came just hours after North Korea threatened for the first time to launch a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the United States and South Korea.

The North Korean leadership, which had warned the Security Council not to approve the sanctions, said it was responding to threats already made against it, citing the American-South Korean military exercises currently under way as evidence the allies were preparing for “a nuclear war aimed to mount a pre-emptive strike” on North Korea.
The tougher sanctions impose penalties on North Korean banking, travel and trade and were passed in a 15-0 vote that reflected the country’s increased international isolation. China, the North’s longtime benefactor, helped the United States draft the sanctions resolution in what outside experts called a sign of Beijing’s growing annoyance with Pyongyang’s defiant behavior on the nuclear issue. The Chinese had entreated the North Koreans not to proceed with the Feb. 12 underground nuclear test, their third.
Both China and the United States presented the new constraints as adding significant pressure on North Korea. Whether it will change North Korea’s behavior is unknown.
“The strength, breadth and severity of these sanctions will raise the cost to North Korea of its illicit nuclear program and further constrain its ability to finance and source materials and technology for its ballistic missile, conventional and nuclear weapons programs,” the United States ambassador to the United Nations, Susan E. Rice, told reporters after the vote.
“Taken together, these sanctions will bite and bite hard,” she said. “They increase North Korea’s isolation and raise the cost to North Korea’s leaders of defying the international community. “The entire world stands united in our commitment to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula and in our demand that North Korea comply with its international obligations.”
Li Baodong, the ambassador from China, which angered the North Korean government by supporting the sanctions, told reporters that his country was “committed to safeguarding peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula” and that the resolution also stressed the need for resumed talks.
“This resolution is a very important step, but one step cannot make a journey” he told reporters. “We need a comprehensive strategy to bring the situation back to dialogue. We need wisdom, persistence, perseverance.”
It remained unclear if China would be willing to go beyond the scope of the sanctions, cutting off fuel shipments and commercial trade that have in the past helped to keep the impoverished country functioning.
The resolution, which was drafted three weeks after the Feb. 12 underground test by North Korea, is the Security Council’s fourth against the reclusive North Korean government. It contains new restrictions that will block financial transactions, limit North Korea’s reliance on bulk transfers of cash, further empower other countries to inspect suspicious North Korean cargo, and expand a blacklist of items that the country is prohibited from importing. The sanctions also place new constraints on North Korean diplomats, raising their risk of expulsion from host countries.
Asked if she thought the sanctions would break the pattern of North Korean defiance of earlier punishments imposed by the Security Council, Ms. Rice said: “The choice lies with the decision that the North Korean leadership makes.”
She dismissed the North’s vows of a pre-emptive nuclear strike, saying “North Korea will achieve nothing by continued threats and provocations.”
American experts on North Korea said the more shrill invective was a characteristic response that should not be taken literally, but they did not dismiss it outright.
“I don’t believe they will carry through on these threats,” said Bill Richardson, the former New Mexico governor and presidential candidate who has been an American emissary to North Korea, having traveled there eight times, most recently in January.
“It does mean a longer or sustained period of estrangement and negativity and lack of a diplomatic dialogue,” Mr. Richardson said. “I think to show their defiance, they may take some military steps, undefined military steps. I don’t know what they’ll do.”

In recent days, with the resolution set to pass, North Korea characterized the sanctions as part of an “act of war” in its escalating invective against the United States and its allies. Earlier this week it declared the 1953 armistice that stopped the Korean War null and void as of next Monday and threatened to turn Washington and Seoul into “a sea in flames” with “lighter and smaller nukes.”

The combative country has often warned that it has the right to launch pre-emptive military strikes against the United States, claiming that the western power wants to start a war on the Korean Peninsula. But on Thursday the North ratcheted up the hostile language by saying those strikes could be nuclear.
“Now that the U.S. is set to light a fuse for a nuclear war, the revolutionary armed forces of the DPRK will exercise the right to a pre-emptive nuclear attack to destroy the strongholds of the aggressors and to defend the supreme interests of the country,” a spokesman of the North Korean Foreign Ministry said in a Korean-language statement carried by the North’s official Korean Central News Agency. He used the acronym for his country’s official name, Democratic People’s Republic of Korea.
The resolution the United Nations adopted to impose more sanctions against the North “will compel the DPRK to take at an earlier date more powerful second and third countermeasures as it had declared,” the spokesman added, without elaborating.
In the past, whenever the United Nations considered more sanctions, North Korea’s typically strident rhetoric has grown harsher with threats of war. The threats were just that, and analysts said the latest message was meant as much for its home population, with the country’s young leader Kim Jong-un seeking to inspire a sense of crisis, as it was meant to force Washington to engage it with concessions.
Photos filed by news agencies from the North Korean capital, Pyongyang, and carried in South Korean media on Thursday showed buses covered with military camouflage and university students rushing out of their classroom building in military uniforms in a military exercise.
Few analysts believe that North Korea would launch a military attack at the United States, a decision that would be suicidal for the regime. But officials in Seoul feared that North Korea might attempt an armed skirmish to test the military resolve of Park Geun-hye, South Korea’s first female president, who took office less than two weeks ago.
On Wednesday, in an uncharacteristically blunt response to North Korea’s threat, a South Korean Army general called a news conference and warned that if provoked, South Korea would strike back at the top North Korean military leadership. In 2010, the two Koreas’ front-line units exchanged artillery fire after North Korea launched a barrage against a South Korean border island.
In the same year, 46 South Korean sailors were killed when their navy corvette sank in an explosion the South blamed on a North Korean torpedo attack.
With the United States standing behind it, South Korea has since vowed to strike back with a deadlier force if North Korea provokes again.
Despite such warnings, however, South Korean officials feared that Mr. Kim, an inexperienced leader eager to build his credentials and gravitas as leader of his “military-first” country might have been emboldened by his nation’s recent successful tests of a long-range rocket and nuclear device to believe that he could try an armed provocation with impunity.
In North Korea, where pronouncements are carefully choreographed and timed, the threat on Tuesday to use “lighter and smaller nukes” was read on North Korean television by Gen. Kim Yong-chol. General Kim, the head of the North’s military intelligence, is one of the hard-liners that South Korean officials suspected was deeply involved in the 2010 attack

Unread 2013-03-07, 10:27 PM   #39
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

N.Korea voids pacts with South as sanctions toughened

SEOUL — North Korea announced on Friday it was voiding non-aggression pacts with South Korea and severing a hotline with Seoul, hours after the UN Security Council adopted tough new sanctions on Pyongyang.
The announcement ramped up tensions on the Korean peninsula that have surged since the North staged a third nuclear test last month. On Thursday, the country threatened a pre-emptive nuclear strike against the United States.
Pyongyang is no stranger to bellicose rhetoric, but the tone has reached a frenzied pitch in recent days, fuelling concerns that it might trigger a border incident, with both North and South planning major military exercises next week.

North Korea "abrogates all agreements on non-aggression reached between the North and the South", the state-run Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea (CPRK) said in a statement.
The main bilateral non-aggression pact was signed in 1991, endorsing the peaceful settlement of disputes and the prevention of accidental military clashes.
"It also notifies the South side that it will immediately cut off the North-South hotline," said the statement, which was carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

North Korea has threatened to sever the phone link -- installed in 1971 -- many times, and has actually done so twice before, South Korea's Unification Ministry noted.
Pyongyang's latest announcement came hours after the UN Security Council beefed up existing sanctions on the communist state in response to its February 12 nuclear test.
The resolution adopted by the 15-member Council added new names to the UN sanctions blacklist and tightened restrictions on North Korea's financial dealings, notably its suspect "bulk cash" transfers.

Earlier resolutions gave states the right to inspect cargo suspected to contain weapons material. Those inspections will become mandatory.
The new sanctions will "bite hard", said the US ambassador to the UN, Susan Rice. "They increase North Korea's isolation and raise the cost to North Korea's leaders of defying the international community."
China wants "full implementation" of the resolution, said its UN envoy Li Baodong, while stressing that efforts must be made to bring North Korea back to negotiations and to defuse tensions.
Prior to the Security Council meeting, the North Korean Foreign Ministry had threatened a "pre-emptive nuclear attack" against the United States and all other "aggressors".

The United States responded by saying it was "fully capable" of defending itself and its allies -- including South Korea -- against any North Korean missile strike.
The CPRK statement condemned the UN resolution -- drafted by the United States and the North's sole major ally, China -- as proof that Washington and its "puppets" in Seoul were "hell bent" on confrontation.

"North-South relations have gone so far beyond the danger line that they are no longer repairable and an extremely dangerous situation is prevailing on the Korean Peninsula where a nuclear war may break out right now," it said.
The statement warned that the North Korean military would respond "mercilessly" to any intrusion -- "even an inch" -- into its land, sea or air space.
An annual US-South Korea exercise known as Foal Eagle began on March 1 and continues until April 30, involving more than 10,000 US troops along with a far greater number of South Korean personnel.

And a largely computer-simulated joint exercise called Key Resolve will be held from March 11-21.
Meanwhile, South Korea's defence ministry said the North was gearing up for nationwide military manoeuvres of its own next week, involving all three wings of its armed forces.

In a separate report Friday, KCNA said North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un had visited a frontline military unit involved in a deadly skirmish with the South in 2010.
During his inspection on Thursday, Kim declared the North was ready for all-out war and that he would order attacks in all frontline areas in case of any provocation.

Unread 2013-03-07, 10:33 PM   #40
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like

Saying a prayer for our boys over there right now.
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:38 PM   #41
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4369
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

Good friend is with the Marines training with the SK guys right now.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:40 PM   #42
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 267
Thanks (Received): 319
Likes (Given): 1963
Likes (Received): 2502
Dislikes (Given): 40
Dislikes (Received): 51

has it really escalated over there or is this more of their "talk"?
uprrman23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:43 PM   #43
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by uprrman23 View Post
has it really escalated over there or is this more of their "talk"?
I don't have any ties to the military force, I have a friend who knows a teacher over there and they are getting moved toward the port in the south.

Unread 2013-03-07, 10:46 PM   #44
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I don't have any ties to the military force, I have a friend who knows a teacher over there and they are getting moved toward the port in the south.
Damn, i'm usually not all "let's nuke em" but i think the North needs a good ass whoopin just to let them know they aren't shit.
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:48 PM   #45
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Damn, i'm usually not all "let's nuke em" but i think the North needs a good ass whoopin just to let them know they aren't shit.
Yeah, we will not strike 1st that's a given, hell the US doesn't have the fighting force we used to there either. I did 1 Civilian evacuation drill and it was a nightmare, the Koreans don't give a shit I can tell you that

Unread 2013-03-07, 10:50 PM   #46
uprrman23

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Yeah, we will not strike 1st that's a given, hell the US doesn't have the fighting force we used to there either. I did 1 Civilian evacuation drill and it was a nightmare, the Koreans don't give a shit I can tell you that
In your opinion, do you think anything will come of this?
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:53 PM   #47
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
In your opinion, do you think anything will come of this?

I will say that I am a HUGE history buff and when I was in Korea it was amazing for me to be there due to that fact and I read and learned a lot and had the force briefings that I did so I have a better insight. This is all reminisant of what his father and grand father have always done toward the US except for the fact of calling off all the treaties etc.. I am not sure what the angle is for him besides beating on his chest or if he is out to prove something.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes uprrman23 liked this post
Unread 2013-03-07, 10:59 PM   #48
Ryan H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I will say that I am a HUGE history buff and when I was in Korea it was amazing for me to be there due to that fact and I read and learned a lot and had the force briefings that I did so I have a better insight. This is all reminisant of what his father and grand father have always done toward the US except for the fact of calling off all the treaties etc.. I am not sure what the angle is for him besides beating on his chest or if he is out to prove something.
Something isn't sitting right with me about this either. Think its the timing. The north can really only go south during the winter b/c of all the rice patties.....

Please please just be bluster......
Unread 2013-03-09, 01:28 AM   #49
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Iran-North Korea Pact Draws Concern

WASHINGTON—Obama administration officials are raising alarms about a scientific-cooperation pact between North Korea and Iran that officials said could advance the nuclear and missile programs of both countries. The agreement, reached in September, bears a close resemblance to one North Korea signed with Syria in 2002, U.S. and United Nations officials said, just as Pyongyang began secretly constructing a plutonium-producing nuclear reactor in eastern Syria. "They have pretty much the same wording," said Olli Heinonen, a former lead weapons inspector at the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency.
Enlarge Image

European Pressphoto Agency Iran's President Ahmadinejad greets North Korean parliamentary head Kim Yong Nam in Tehran in September.

The U.S. is paying new attention to the pact after recent North Korean nuclear and missile tests, at a time when Tehran has come closer to producing enough enriched nuclear fuel for a bomb, U.S. officials said. Washington is concerned that the two military allies will seek to use the agreement to advance their nuclear capabilities, just as they have jointly developed missile systems, according to U.S. and U.N. officials.
"Any 'scientific cooperation' between Iran and North Korea is potentially a source of real concern to us, and we'll have to follow it closely," said a senior U.S. official on Friday.
This year, Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear-weapons test, and for the first time successfully launched a long-range missile into space. Iran hasn't developed an atomic bomb, and says it has no nuclear-weapons program, despite U.S. accusations to the contrary.

The U.N Security Council imposed its most stringent set of sanctions on North Korea. The delegates at this year's meetings of NPC and CPPCC include more than 80 billionaires. New Focus on Fashion Propels Adidas in China

The signing of the agreement, in Tehran in September was attended by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and North Korea's No. 2 official, Kim Yong Nam, according to Iranian state media. Mr. Kim also led the 2002 delegation to Syria.
U.S. and European officials are particularly concerned about the presence at the Tehran signing of the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran, Fereydoun Abbasi-Davani. The U.N. placed sanctions and a travel ban on Mr. Abbasi-Davani in 2007, on what it said was evidence he was involved in nuclear-weapons research.
Iranian state media reports don't specify cooperation with North Korea on developing nuclear technologies. But they do cite the establishment of joint laboratories, exchanges of Iranian and North Korean scientists, and technology transfers in the areas of energy and information technology.
"The Islamic Republic of Iran and North Korea have common enemies since the arrogant powers can't bear independent governments," Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei told Mr. Kim during his stay, according to the official FARS news agency.
Iran and North Korea began military cooperation during Iran's eight-year war with Iraq in the 1980s. Pyongyang supplied light arms and artillery at a time of an international arms embargo on the Islamic Republic.
Since then, North Korea has emerged as a principal supplier of missile components to Tehran, U.S. and U.N. officials said. Iran's medium-range Shahab-3 missile is based on the design of North Korea's Nodong-1.

Unread 2013-03-10, 04:41 PM   #50
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 212
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 1180
Likes (Received): 988
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Flame on me and call me racist if you wish.
I don't like Koreans. The three "confirmed" Korean people I have met were compulsive liars and put off this vibe in their personality that I didn't care for at all. I had this discussion with my Vietnamese friend and he told me that most Koreans are like that, they all have big egos, too much pride and constantly tell far fetched lies.
So, yeah Fuck'em. wipe them off the earth.
just my two pennies

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 0 Likes, 2 Dislikes
Dislikes thescr33nn4m3, biggbird72 disliked this post
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north korea