Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Fitness and Health

Unread 2016-02-10, 10:46 PM   #1
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 102
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 421
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 11
Default lasik / prk / sbk

I have finally convinced myself I need to do it. I have a consultation at Durrie next week. I want nothing but the best for my eyeballs, but is it worth shopping around?

I have also heard of Discover, Sabates and Silverstein. Where would you go?

I am assuming the work these days is more pushing buttons on a computer and less blade in hand.

Is there anybody with a personal horror story, or any legit reasons against the surgery?

Last edited by Justin 05 STi; 2016-02-18 at 10:02 PM..
Justin 05 STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-10, 11:13 PM   #2
nvsaccord02

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

interested in this as well
nvsaccord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-11, 03:58 AM   #3
ShaunT

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 177
Likes (Received): 86
Dislikes (Received): 5

Sub'd for responses

Aka: Thatoneguy on every other Midwest forum
ShaunT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-11, 05:03 PM   #4
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1798
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

My wife had it done about 2 years or so ago. She threw out the question on Facebook, and the responses came back heavily recommending one of the better doctors in the area. At that point, she didn't shop around - there were many trusted people that had already done that and had first hand experiences. It was a little to a lot more expensive than the others (I want to say around $4k give or take a few hundred) based on what some advertised or some friends have said, but it also included follow up appointments up to a year afterwards, among other things. I am one to find a deal, but I wouldn't have let her trust her eyes to one of those $299/eye places if she wanted to.

We also ended up loading up the flex/health spending account the year she decided to do it, and that paid for a lot of it tax free.

One thing she did say, was ask questions of what it is like when it is happening. She didn't, so she didn't know what to expect, and it it freaked her out a little. All that said, not 8 hours later, her vision was A LOT better.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-11, 11:20 PM   #5
dstock1088

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 18
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 68
Likes (Received): 476
Dislikes (Received): 17

I had mine done at Durry last May and couldn't have been happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PM me for custom cabinets and other home remodeling needs.
dstock1088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-02-15, 12:09 AM   #6
01fordgazguzler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 293
Likes (Received): 79
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 5

I had it done over 10years ago when I came back from Iraq in 2005.

My eyes wouldn't relax enough for regular lasik so I had to do PRK.

PRK was very painful and the recovery time was about a week. I still wouldn't change it. I love it. Paid $3k for both eyes and free lifetime correction if needed.
Unread 2016-02-18, 10:01 PM   #7
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

I did not realize Durrie was bladeless ONLY. I am a candidate for their SBK. The laser flap sounds like the best of both worlds. They do PRK too but the cost was the same.

It looks like KU Med does SBK too, not sure of any other options.
Unread 2016-02-19, 04:49 PM   #8
dstock1088

Post Thanks / Like

I have the video of my surgery if anyone wants to see it. They filmed it because I got in as part of a study. Pretty gross when they put bubbles under the flap and pull it back lol

Unread 2016-02-25, 10:54 AM   #9
ForcFed93

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 339
Likes (Received): 708
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 30

My wife just has her eyes done yesterday. Blade free Lasik and she'll be back to work tomorrow.
Unread 2016-02-28, 04:22 AM   #10
LTe

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 107
Thanks (Received): 60
Likes (Given): 847
Likes (Received): 300
Dislikes (Given): 24

My wife got prk at lasik plus off 115th and nall about 9 months ago. It's been great for her but yes prk is more painful recovery but you don't have a flap with prk. It grows back fully and it's like nothing ever happened. The first 48 hours sucked but after that she was still light sensitive but a week later and she was back to doing everything she did before but just with dimmed lights. After 2 weeks it's like gold and everything was back to normal but without glasses.

I plan to do lasik because of the recovery time. I would do prk but I don't have time to take a few weeks off work. The flap won't bother me because I seen videos of the flap trying to be relifted off the eye after 2 years and it takes a lot of work.
Unread 2016-03-08, 02:42 PM   #11
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 174
Thanks (Received): 123
Likes (Given): 456
Likes (Received): 662
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTe View Post
My wife got prk at lasik plus off 115th and nall about 9 months ago. It's been great for her but yes prk is more painful recovery but you don't have a flap with prk. It grows back fully and it's like nothing ever happened. The first 48 hours sucked but after that she was still light sensitive but a week later and she was back to doing everything she did before but just with dimmed lights. After 2 weeks it's like gold and everything was back to normal but without glasses.

I plan to do lasik because of the recovery time. I would do prk but I don't have time to take a few weeks off work. The flap won't bother me because I seen videos of the flap trying to be relifted off the eye after 2 years and it takes a lot of work.
I got PRK at Durrie based on recommendations from eye surgeons that my wife works with in the OR (the PRK vs lasik was the recommendation when posed the "what would you get?" question, Durrie was a personal choice).

my experience was actually a bit different in that I was back at work the next day and the day after without any light sensitivity but then the third day hit me like a fucking truck. drugs, ice packs and sleeping for a couple days and I was good.

everyone is different (physiologically) and has different circumstances, but from what the surgeons my wife works with said, they were pretty adamant that while they'd all be fine with either, if it were their eyes, they'd do PRK at a reputable place. I liked Durrie based his rep and a friend that worked there telling me about a number of pro athletes who depend on their eyes for millions of dollars in future earnings going (no names or specifics given to violate HIPAA). I was able to get the consult and then tell them I wasn't ready to spend as much as they were asking but offering to do a study... they called me back within a week or two with a study that involved new 'lenses' that they put over your eyes to help shield them during the regrowth stage and that allowed it to become much more affordable - I haven't looked back since. honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made for/about myself.
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-09, 02:53 AM   #12
dstock1088

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
I got PRK at Durrie based on recommendations from eye surgeons that my wife works with in the OR (the PRK vs lasik was the recommendation when posed the "what would you get?" question, Durrie was a personal choice).

my experience was actually a bit different in that I was back at work the next day and the day after without any light sensitivity but then the third day hit me like a fucking truck. drugs, ice packs and sleeping for a couple days and I was good.

everyone is different (physiologically) and has different circumstances, but from what the surgeons my wife works with said, they were pretty adamant that while they'd all be fine with either, if it were their eyes, they'd do PRK at a reputable place. I liked Durrie based his rep and a friend that worked there telling me about a number of pro athletes who depend on their eyes for millions of dollars in future earnings going (no names or specifics given to violate HIPAA). I was able to get the consult and then tell them I wasn't ready to spend as much as they were asking but offering to do a study... they called me back within a week or two with a study that involved new 'lenses' that they put over your eyes to help shield them during the regrowth stage and that allowed it to become much more affordable - I haven't looked back since. honestly one of the best decisions I've ever made for/about myself.

I was involved in a study using a different medicated eye drop. Saved me something like $1400

Unread 2016-03-10, 05:19 PM   #13
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

Tomorrow is the day! I can't wait.
Unread 2016-03-10, 05:34 PM   #14
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 707
Likes (Given): 365
Likes (Received): 4036
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Old school picture.

Pain. Terrible terrible pain. Have reliable transportation after the surgery or you'll end up having to drive yourself home and that causes some problems.

Unread 2016-03-10, 05:49 PM   #15
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I don't know if it was the lenses or what but I felt like I damn near had lasik for two days... a little light sensitive but no pain. but then Wednesday morning... fuck Wednesday and its shitty shitty morning
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
Unread 2016-03-10, 05:52 PM   #16
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Also, the only time this ever happened...hadn't happened before or since....the night after my surgery, my wife somehow managed to flop around in bed and hit my eye which I swear lifted the still healing flap.

No idea how that happens, but I shot straight up screaming bloody murder.
Unread 2016-03-12, 02:54 PM   #17
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

The surgery went great. Wife drove me home, but I probably could have done it myself if I had to.

My worst symptom last night was light sensitivity. Pain was minimal - the dirty contact comparison they told me was pretty spot on. Before bed I was watching TV like normal.

No problems overnight. This morning my vision was less cloudy, eyes felt less scratchy, no light sensitivity but still some halos. At my check up they said I was healing great and I tested better than 20/20. I missed like 2 letters on the 20/15 line.

Laser flap FTW! This shit is amazing.
Unread 2016-03-18, 10:12 AM   #18
Justin 05 STi

Post Thanks / Like

A week later and still no issues. Absolutely loving it.

One random thing that popped into my head - how worried should I be about the restriction on my license? Should I go to the DMV ASAP to get it changes, or just wait for when it expires?
Likes Beowulf liked this post
Justin 05 STi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2016-03-18, 10:20 AM   #19
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin 05 STi View Post

One random thing that popped into my head - how worried should I be about the restriction on my license? Should I go to the DMV ASAP to get it changes, or just wait for when it expires?
I never had a problem...I imagine if you got pulled over and they asked, you just tell them then.

I don't think, in all the years of wearing contacts and having a restriction on my license, I ever got questioned during a traffic stop about it.
Unread 2016-03-18, 11:21 PM   #20
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin 05 STi View Post

glad to hear!

as to the restriction, if you are at all concerned about it, just throw something from the dr's office about your appt, an invoice, etc in your glovebox. if a cop doesn't accept that they are just looking for ways to fuck you anyhow and will find one (unlikely but that's the only scenario where I can imagine they wouldn't look at a doc like that and just accept it).

but like Scooby said, I can't imagine it would get that far in the first place.