Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Cooking, Food, Nutrition

Unread 2013-05-10, 12:06 PM   #26
01fordgazguzler

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 15
Likes (Given): 275
Likes (Received): 79
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 5

You can design it any way you want the traditional KISS method works really well. There is a drum company in KCK off K32 that makes drums. I think I payed $15 bucks for one about 6 years ago. There are a LOT of different ways to customize them as you go so you have options as you find what works best for you.
Unread 2013-05-10, 12:10 PM   #27
01fordgazguzler

Post Thanks / Like

Heres a build sheet and step by step guide:
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...um-smoker-(UDS)
Some inspiration:
http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showt...-Photo-Gallery!!!

There was a person giving away an old smoker in the for sae section. I considered picking it up for the grates. You should go get them if they're still available.
01fordgazguzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-10, 12:18 PM   #28
thestealth

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 15
Likes (Received): 32
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekwonder View Post
You have any more detailed pictures of your UDS, seems like on quick searches it's easy to go from a quick $50 drum smoker to a $300 beast (meant in a good way of "beast") of a smoker.
I don't have any detailed pics of my setup, but THIS is the guide I used for general measurements and whatnot. I used a 1" step bit for the inlet holes instead of a hole saw, but that's neither here nor there. The exhaust tip is just there for looks...

I used a replacement charcoal grate for a 22" weber kettle for the base of my fire basket. I made the 'walls' of the basket 10 or 12" tall with expanded steel. I used cut off re-bar for the basket legs. I also made a basket handle for retrieving the fire basket out of the drum.
For the top grate, I used a 22" kettle replacement grate. I also went the easy route and just use refrigerator magnets for air inlet covers.

I made a UDS for a buddy and the lid I had didn't have any bungs in it. So I just drilled 8-1" holes in the lid. Seems to flow just fine.

I'll be at the cabin this weekend and will snap a few pics.

edit: go with gazguzzlers links. They have all the pictures right there on the first page. The link I posted, the pics are scattered throughout the thread.
Unread 2013-05-10, 12:30 PM   #29
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 666
Likes (Received): 784
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

Awesome thanks guys. I'll definitely go the UDS idea instead of converting mine, seems like the UDS can be done for just a little bit more money but with a lot better results. I can probably still scavenge the cart from my gas grill at least. That would give me a solid platform to start with, and some shelves.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-10, 12:49 PM   #30
thestealth

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea on scavenging the cart!

They (a UDS) really does perform well. Cooking a big 10# pork butt is a 12+ hour cook. With a full charcoal basket, I don't worry about running out fuel. It generally takes about an hour to get the smoker dialed in where I want it. For the course of the cook, I may have to adjust air flow, but most times, I don't have to do anything, it just chugs along (I think I need to use more comma's ) If I'm doing an overnight cook, I'll take a 6+ hour nap with confidence that when I get up the temp will be right about where I left it.
Unread 2013-05-10, 12:59 PM   #31
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know. I'll definitely do some researching this weekend. I think scavenging the cart will be a good idea since it will be on a wood deck.

Thanks again for the feedback, exactly what I needed.
Unread 2013-05-10, 01:38 PM   #32
Shpongle

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 64
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

For tips with using charcoal briquettes and making the burn for a long time Google the Minion Method.
Shpongle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-10, 01:57 PM   #33
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, thanks for the heads up.

Sadly probably going to be a while before I can build one, but really excited and want to get started.
Unread 2013-05-10, 02:04 PM   #34
thestealth

Post Thanks / Like

careful...running a smoker can be quite an addiction. You'll find yourself smoking anything and everything.
Unread 2013-05-10, 02:14 PM   #35
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestealth View Post
careful...running a smoker can be quite an addiction. You'll find yourself smoking anything and everything.
More time smoking, gardening, driving the Datsun and less time on the internet. Sounds like Heaven to me.
Unread 2013-05-10, 02:21 PM   #36
01fordgazguzler

Post Thanks / Like

A good tip for smoking over night (esp in the cooler months or over the winter) is to go get an old quilt preferably a heavy down quilt and line one side with thick grade Al foil. Duct tape the seams and use that to cover the top of the smoker to retain the heat as the temp drops. Ive done this for years and it works great.
Unread 2013-05-10, 02:22 PM   #37
thestealth

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by freek
More time smoking, gardening, driving the Datsun and less time on the internet. Sounds like Heaven to me.
nothing wrong with that

I'll smoking a brisket tomorrow and probably twice baked potatoes for a Saturday Mothers Day dinner. (the in-laws and my folks are meeting us at our cabin)

You guys have a great weekend...happy smoking.

Last edited by thestealth; 2013-05-10 at 02:24 PM..
thestealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-05-10, 02:29 PM   #38
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fordgazguzler View Post
A good tip for smoking over night (esp in the cooler months or over the winter) is to go get an old quilt preferably a heavy down quilt and line one side with thick grade Al foil. Duct tape the seams and use that to cover the top of the smoker to retain the heat as the temp drops. Ive done this for years and it works great.
Nice tip, thanks

Quote:
nothing wrong with that

I'll smoking a brisket tomorrow and probably twice baked potatoes for a Saturday Mothers Day dinner. (the in-laws and my folks are meeting us at our cabin)

You guys have a great weekend...happy smoking.
, definitely need to hurry up and build a smoker. We've been wanting to do it for a while and get better at grilling also. Main reason we need a new grill.
Unread 2013-05-30, 05:29 PM   #39
hvymtl939

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 40
Thanks (Received): 19
Likes (Given): 209
Likes (Received): 136
Dislikes (Received): 1

I have a Louisiana Grills Pellet Grill. It was a little pricey, but it's the best purchase I've had this year. I've made brisket, ribs, and pulled pork, and all of them have turned out fantastic. On the higher heat modes, I've used it for wood fire style pizzas and roasting legs of lamb. All you have to do is pour in pellets and set the temperature. It's great.
hvymtl939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-06-02, 11:47 PM   #40
BigJohnson

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01fordgazguzler View Post
You can design it any way you want the traditional KISS method works really well. There is a drum company in KCK off K32 that makes drums. I think I payed $15 bucks for one about 6 years ago. There are a LOT of different ways to customize them as you go so you have options as you find what works best for you.
Got a name of the place for the drum? I'm also looking to build a uds.
BigJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-20, 08:39 PM   #41
sebaz
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 188
Likes (Given): 1561
Likes (Received): 1274
Dislikes (Given): 9

Quote:
Good idea on scavenging the cart!

They (a UDS) really does perform well. Cooking a big 10# pork butt is a 12+ hour cook. With a full charcoal basket, I don't worry about running out fuel. It generally takes about an hour to get the smoker dialed in where I want it. For the course of the cook, I may have to adjust air flow, but most times, I don't have to do anything, it just chugs along (I think I need to use more comma's ) If I'm doing an overnight cook, I'll take a 6+ hour nap with confidence that when I get up the temp will be right about where I left it.

If you kick the temp on the drum up to 300, you can get it done in closer to 4 hours. Zero sacrifice in juiciness, in my experience.
Unread 2013-12-31, 07:09 PM   #42
thestealth

Post Thanks / Like

i had read about high heat pork butts, but never attempted it. a couple Weeks ago i cooked a pair of butts on my wsm (Weber smokey mountain) at about 325*. they were done and resting in about 4-5 hours and turned out great. i might never do a low and slow pork butt again
thestealth is offline   Reply With Quote