Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Cooking, Food, Nutrition

Unread 2017-01-03, 10:54 AM   #1
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like
Default Kamado smoked brisket

The other thread is long and had the issue with pics so I broke this one out. My first brisket brisket in almost a decade, not having a smoker and beef not being as easy/cheap to come by down here.

Texas style rub: Equal parts sugar and salt. 1/2 that of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder. 1/4 of celery salt, lemon pepper, fresh black pepper, white pepper and cayenne. Despite the 3 peppers not the heat youd expect, the beef really shines through.

Well integrated in a spice grinder and put in a $3 parmesean shaker:

8lbs of prime, deckel on brisket. Trimmed the deckel and all but about 1/4" of fat cap.
Before:

After:

A really tender brisket prior to cooking, which is key really. If the muscle is dry its going to be rigid when cooked no matter what. Like ribs should be floppy when raw.

Rub on, not too thick, you should still see texture below it, shook off any excess after this and cured overnight:

While you fire up the grille might as well maximize it. Did legs and wings too and had those for lunch:

Unfortunately a monsoon moved in. I had to build a tent to keep water from coming in. Already ordered my smokeware chimney to prevent this:

~13 hrs at approximate 230-235 dropping to 210 occasionally when it rained really hard.

Bark in the dead center didnt set quite right due to water coming in before I tented it (of course rain started while I was in the shower) but everything else worked:

End product. Super tender, lots of flavor in the bark and no issues with dryness (youd have to be an ass to dry it out in that weather)

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2017-01-03 at 11:13 AM..
Ryan Stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 10:59 AM   #2
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 321
Likes (Received): 3912
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 38

Good God that looks amazing
Unread 2017-01-03, 11:06 AM   #3
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. It was. A really good piece of meat, found a local butcher that carries prime but also got access to a Costco so I will check them out occasionally as well. They had some Wagyu steaks with incredible marbling but I will hold off on that until I have perfected my "reverse sear" cooking.

Ive got a few processes/rubs/etc down so I will post a few threads in here when I get a chance to help "make KCSR great again."

Even bought a foodsaver and will probably look to put a mini freezer in the garage. I missed smoking meats on holidays.

Edit: Forgot the most important part. 13hrs at 230-235 until 195 then wrapped and rested (in cooler) for an hour to coast a few more degrees. Would have liked to take it over 200 but had people over and a schedule.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2017-01-03 at 11:11 AM..
Unread 2017-01-03, 11:08 AM   #4
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same grill and was curious how it worked as a smoker this gives me hope

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 11:21 AM   #5
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I have the same grill and was curious how it worked as a smoker this gives me hope
It doesnt work, it shines. Honestly other than how well it smokes and does 900 degree cooks you might as well just buy a $60 kettle. But that ceramic means you can do a 13 hour cook with one pile of charcoal and 4 chunks of wood. I open the top wheel to like 1/8th of an inch (overall opening is probably about a dimes worth). So all of the smoke, humidity and aroma is trapped in the grill.

A little clip of the top vent in the middle of a cook, that is how much air the fire needed to hold 250 on a 60 degree day):
https://goo.gl/photos/kokhKcieXeDGs5Kv8

Its the easiest smoker I have ever used. Prior to that, when living in Kansas, would smoke on one of these:

A LOT more space and flexibility but a lot of work too. Gotta constantly maintain the fire and add wood, that steel meant the temps would change suddenly if you werent watching it and more air would be introduced, meaning potentially dryer air. Id get good product out of it but usually, with beef, wanted to tent or foil once the bark set to make sure it stayed moist. Not so with the kamado.

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2017-01-03 at 11:24 AM..
Unread 2017-01-03, 12:28 PM   #6
Ricerking13

Post Thanks / Like

Damn that looks good!
Unread 2017-03-02, 03:29 PM   #7
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

So time to go full-on. Called to reserve a 15lb full packer brisket. Gonna separate the flat and the point/deckle and cook them on tiers. Serve the flat Sunday night for dinner and let the point/deckle keep cooking. Do me some KC style burnt ends.

From the same place I got that wonderfully marbled prime flat from. $1 more a pound that most places have choice but I think its worth it.
Unread 2017-03-06, 08:35 AM   #8
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

The beast:

I needed to split it anyway because, and this is the only real downside of the kamado, my grill surface is only 18" wide. Its not a bad idea to do it anyway is it allows you to cook the flat and the point separately. Since the flat is much leaner you only take it to like 185 while the point is closer to pulled pork in fat and connective tissue.

You gotta carve out that kernel of fat anyway and I prefer to slim down the fat on the flat so you can leave it all on after cooking (otherwise just carving off all of your rub) so splitting makes the most sense if you have the time.

I pulled the deckle and cubed up that meat for a different application later, just vac and freeze it all until I have enough for a stew. Ended up with 12lbs going on the grill:

Rub applied the night before after letting the meat warm up. No oil or anything, sticks to the fat just fine.

Offset them in the hopes that all of the fat wouldnt render down onto the flat and ruin the bark:

Then back to bed for a nap.

Didnt really do anything but adjust the temps to keep it at around 225 (probe indicated on the grate next to the flat) for the next 13 hours. Never opened, no new coals, no new wood, etc. I had expected to pull the flat and have to keep going to get the point to 200+ but it was almost there, maybe only another 30 for the point.

Chopping the point for burnt ends, it was like meat butter:

Toss in a little sauce to mix with the juices/fat and back on for a little extra funk:

Finally the flat. No texas crutch, just 13 hours of humid coal and wood:

Hopefully you guys can see them, I think I have the security thing figured out.
Unread 2017-03-06, 10:45 AM   #9
NickW936

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Burnt Ends look awesome! Way to represent for KC, hope they tasted as good as they looked!
NickW936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-06, 10:52 AM   #10
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Best part of the brisket. It had been a while since i had them so they were a welcome treat.
Unread 2017-03-15, 01:51 PM   #11
sebaz
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 85
Thanks (Received): 188
Likes (Given): 1556
Likes (Received): 1272
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 16

If you ever decide to join the darkside and do a hot-n-fast brisket, here's a solid write-up http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/

That's on a Gateway Drum, but I can't imagine the process won't translate directly to an egg style cooker.

Also, if you're wanting to try wagyu brisket and can't find it locally, Snake River Farms delivers, and also https://www.kccompetitionmeats.com/ can ship Premier Protein wagyu (from Kearney MO!). Shipping tends to be pretty high on these already expensive hunks of meat though.

Last edited by sebaz; 2017-03-15 at 01:55 PM..
sebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-19, 01:16 PM   #12
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Im actually going the other way, Im going to see if I can use technique to improve an inferior cut the way BBQ was meant to be. If Im going to buy fancy meat Im going to do it as close to raw as good, so top steaks or prime rib.

Select cut flat with the same cured rub as before but had been injected. Going to crutch this time with unbleached, unwaxed paper:

Going to see how close I can get a $30 brisket to tasting/eating like a $90 one.
Unread 2017-03-31, 05:35 PM   #13
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Round 3. They had a full packer at the wholesale grocer/farmers market. Certified Angus for $3/lb but I also think they didnt label it right because this one is labeled at 13.8lbs and there is no way its that much, feels much more like 17-18.

Split it to fit it on the kamado and am using a simple brine to raise the moisture level in the flat. Also have unbleached butcher paper for a wrap to hopefully speed up the cook after 6 hours naked to set the bark.

Unread 2017-03-31, 05:47 PM   #14
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebaz View Post
If you ever decide to join the darkside and do a hot-n-fast brisket, here's a solid write-up http://blog.gatewaydrumsmokers.com/the-white-rabbit/

That's on a Gateway Drum, but I can't imagine the process won't translate directly to an egg style cooker.

Also, if you're wanting to try wagyu brisket and can't find it locally, Snake River Farms delivers, and also https://www.kccompetitionmeats.com/ can ship Premier Protein wagyu (from Kearney MO!). Shipping tends to be pretty high on these already expensive hunks of meat though.
If i get good deals on prime I will but Im trying to do it on a budget, in the true spirit of BBQ.

As for his technique, yeah its the popular one for most texas competitors. He is a little warmer but most I know run around 275. It works great for a competition brisket but I like mine a little gamier, which is something youre only get from exposure to smoke and coal.
Unread 2017-03-31, 05:54 PM   #15
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 440
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 3748
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 121

I'm just sitting here looking at a map and trying to figure out my best route to GA.

Unread 2017-03-31, 09:27 PM   #16
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

If you're gonna make a road trip it's gotta be for my ribs. Beef just isnt as good here
Unread 2017-04-02, 03:46 AM   #17
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Def 18lbs, no way its <14. Flat, even split, was nearly end to end on the smoker. Back in bed.

Unread 2017-04-02, 05:19 PM   #18
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 56

Post 13 and 17 pics arent working.
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-02, 05:22 PM   #19
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 440
Likes (Given): 35
Likes (Received): 3748
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
If you're gonna make a road trip it's gotta be for my ribs. Beef just isnt as good here

Beggars can't be choosers
Unread 2017-04-02, 07:24 PM   #20
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

My best yet and by a long mile. The brine and wrapping really paid off. Also was able to bump the temp a little bit and get dinner ready early so it could rest a little longer in the cooler.

Bark prior to wrap:

Pulling after being wrapped (so much fat soaked into the paper):

Limp wristed:

The flat:

Last edited by Ryan Stewart; 2017-04-03 at 06:43 AM..
Unread 2017-04-02, 09:51 PM   #21
jdne5b

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 56

No pics
jdne5b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-03, 05:14 AM   #22
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 211
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 1179
Likes (Received): 987
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

Looks incredible, if I wasn't moving I would be in the market for a good smoker setup this summer. Haven't got into smoking meats yet, aside from adding a foil pack of soaked hickory to the grill.
Looks like you have it down. Burnt ends are by far my favorite BBQ item.
Interested to see more after you fix your pics

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-03, 05:46 AM   #23
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Dammit. Ok ill work on that when i get to work. Stupid google and their oddball security.

You can do some pretty good packet smoking.
Unread 2017-04-03, 06:17 AM   #24
xXSTi-lynXx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 211
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 1179
Likes (Received): 987
Dislikes (Given): 67
Dislikes (Received): 81

I have never really gotten it to work very well, but I haven't attempted much low and slow smoking.

2005 AW STi Stage 2 w/ E85 -324whp 378wft/lbs - Casper
2002 Toyota tacoma TRD
xXSTi-lynXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-03, 06:46 AM   #25
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, pictures should work now. I think in Google Photos when you move a photo to an album it creates an entire new record instead of a pointer, keeps throwing me off.

I really like the butcher paper wrap. Helps push past the stall quickly but doesnt seem to soften the bark as much.