Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Movies, Music, TV, Books

Unread 2018-11-08, 03:09 PM   #226
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

We’re a month away from the theatrical release of Aquaman, but Warner Bros. seems to still be testing the waters with the comic book movie starring Jason Momoa and directed by James Wan.
At least one more test screening for Aquaman appears to have been held in California recently, with more reactions pouring in from the lucky audience members selected to come aboard. And the Aquaman early buzz seems to be much the same as before: mostly positive.
At the very least, Aquaman is looking to be a crowd-pleaser with some minor issues that don’t detract from the aquatic superhero adventure. The test screening for Aquaman, which seems to have shown audiences the final completed version after Wan and co. worked tirelessly on post-production, made a big splash with all who attended.
mick minas@MOVIESTVMAD

· 12h

I can say I have seen #Aquaman I can't talk about details but I can tell you it's a major achievement in film making and storytelling it's a display that Walter hamada is doing a great job it's evidence that James should direct more DC movies

mick minas@MOVIESTVMAD

Considering what happened with justice league it's a major turn around for this franchise it has a mixture of levity and depth this truly is Star wars under water
1:47 AM - Nov 8, 2018

Carl Abellana@carlcarlsonnnn

Aquaman is my top DC movie now. You heard it here first. First to watch it on the west coast!
11:51 PM - Nov 7, 2018 · Burbank, CA

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Geeks WorldWide Editor-in-Chief KC Walsh, who seems to have been on top of reactions pouring out from Aquaman test screenings since this summer, summarized the general consensus from the test screening best: “it’s really everything you want” in a DC superhero movie.

KC Walsh@TheComixKid

For those asking, audiences seem to really love #Aquaman last night, haven’t heard a single bad thing, beautiful, funny, adventurous, it’s really everything you want.
9:26 AM - Nov 8, 2018

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Aquaman has yet to screen for critics, but Warner Bros. seems to be building hype among the fan community with these frequent test screenings, which have been more successful than not. While it’s a little odd that Warner Bros. would be testing the film this late in the game, it does get that word-of-mouth hype for Aquaman going, which is good news for a blockbuster film tracking for a $40-$60 million opening.
Aquaman is directed by James Wan and stars Jason Momoa, Amber Heard, Willem Dafoe, Temuera Morrison, Dolph Lundgren, Yahya Abdul-Mateen, Patrick Wilson, and Nicole Kidman. It hits theaters on December 14, 2018.
From Warner Bros. Pictures and director James Wan comes an action-packed adventure that spans the vast, visually breathtaking underwater world of the seven seas, “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa in the title role. The film reveals the origin story of half-human, half-Atlantean Arthur Curry and takes him on the journey of his lifetime—one that will not only force him to face who he really is, but to discover if he is worthy of who he was born to be…a king.

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-11-09, 01:56 PM   #227
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

James Wan explains that huge tidal wave in Aquaman trailer

Admittedly, “It’s the one with Aquaman and a huge wave” was not the most helpful way to try and describe a photo to James Wan.
“There are so many pictures of Aquaman and a huge wave!” the director rightly replied after we asked for some context about this new photo, below, from Warner Bros. from his upcoming D.C. action-adventure film:

Warner Bros. Pictures/© DC Comics

Fans have seen similar images in the film’s trailer, which shows a giant tidal wave crashing into the coastline.
So what’s going on here? Wan gave some clues.
“The context of that photo is basically the Atlantic coastline is being hit by tidal waves and it’s not actually an attack from Atlantis but a warning sign of what’s to come,” he says. “It’s basically a message from King Orm [Patrick Wilson] and he’s throwing our warships and waste back onto the land.”
As fans know, Aquaman (Jason Momoa) is facing off against his half-brother King Orm over leadership of Atlantis. Orm wants to declare war on the surface world for polluting the Seven Seas.
And if you think that tidbit reveals a major bit of plot, Wan assures it doesn’t, really. In fact, there’s a lot more you haven’t seen.
“The trailer and images don’t really do it justice,” Wan says. “The crazy part is there’s so much movie, what’s out there has barely scratched the surface.” (So to speak).
In the film’s extended trailer (which you can watch above), we also get a long look at a rooftop chase sequence where Wan gets to use some of his stylistic directing chops that he honed in Furious 7.
“That’s the crazy thing is that one long take shot that everybody seems excited about in the trailer, that’s only half the shot,” Wan says. “And it doesn’t have the context of how it comes to play. So hopefully in the actual movie it’s more enjoyable because you’ll have context.”

Unread 2018-11-09, 07:38 PM   #228
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Aquaman can't get here soon enough, and while we can't see the movie just yet, we at least know how long the movie will run.

It was previously believed that James Wan's anticipated Aquaman movie would run 140 minutes, which translates to 2 hours and 20 minutes. That news came from a theater in Australia, and a new document from distributor Vertical Entertainment is making the rounds suggesting that was pretty close to the final number. If this document is real then the final running time will be slightly above the previous estimate, coming in at 143 minutes.
The document lists basic information about the film, including the studio, the format, and runtime, as well as director and cast information. It would be an odd thing to fake, but you can judge it for yourself in the post below from @kryptonscodex.

"if this is legit then Aquaman’s running time is 143 minutes."

It seems rather accurate when you consider the runtimes of other DC movies, which all hover around that 2 hours and 20-minute mark. As you can see from the list below, 2 hours and 20 minutes is the preferred time range.

• Man of Steel: 2 hours and 23 minutes
  • Batman v Superman: 2 hours and 31 minutes
  • Suicide Squad: 2 hours and 3 minutes
  • Wonder Woman: 2 hours and 21 minutes
  • Justice League: 2 hours

The most well-received of the bunch are Man of Steel and Wonder Woman, and they both came in around 2 hours and 20 minutes in length. If early screenings of Aquaman are to be believed, it seems DC might have a third film to succeed that pattern in Aquaman.
Fans are certainly hopeful that turns out to be true, and if it does then it looks like Wan's choice to isolate Aquaman to a degree from Justice League was the right one.

"It was very important for me early on to be allowed to make my own film and to have my own voice be in there," Wan told ComicBook.com. "After Furious Seven and Conjuring 2, I didn't want to be a director for hire. After Furious Seven, that's kind of who I was to some degree, but after that, I don't want to be that guy again. So, it was very important for me to be able to bring my own stamp, my own visual aesthetic, create the characters. Even though Jason [Momoa] has somewhat been established Justice League, I wanted to bring his character into this, basically, fresh in a lot of ways. So it was important for me to obviously pay a respect to where he was left off in [Justice League], but then allow me the freedom to take him to where I want to take him at the end of the movie. My hero goes on this hero's journey to become someone very different than where he started. That was something that was very important for me. But the movie I want to make, that I was allowed that freedom to do that."

Unread 2018-11-11, 07:58 PM   #229
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Aquaman' Guide Book Reveals Arthur Curry's Age

Fans still have to wait a few weeks to see Aquaman in all its glory, but one particular detail about the film has already come to light.

The tie-in book Aquaman: Arthur's Guide to Atlantis was recently released, which features a diary-like approach to Arthur Curry's (Jason Momoa) story. One page of the book, which you can check out below, showcases a sort of actual timeline of major events -- including a handwritten footnote about the year Arthur was born. As it turns out, he was born in 1986, which would make him 32 years old now.

This solves one unanswered question that some fans have had since Arthur's debut in Justice League, as it was never made entirely clear exactly how old Arthur is supposed to canonically be. It also adds a bit of context to the flashback scene that has already appeared in the film's trailers, which shows a young Arthur using his powers during a class trip to the aquarium.

Aquaman is expected to show Arthur in an entirely new light, as he comes to terms with his place among Atlantean royalty. But according to Momoa, the character is expected to be pretty darn relatable, even as he goes through this ocean-spanning origin story.

"He’s serious, but he’s just jaded." Momoa told reporters during a visit to Aquaman's set. "He’s just seen so much and he doesn’t really trust anyone. I think it’s all about building the trust and that’s the whole Justice League thing-just being the team. I think, I definitely want him to be...you can’t sit down and have a beer with Superman, you know what I mean? You can’t. There are things you can do with Batman that you can’t do with...I wanted Aquaman definitely to be that guy that, he’s blue collar."

"I mean the whole thing about him, I wanted him blue collar," Momoa continued. "He’s raised with his dad, worked on bikes, worked on old cars with his father and at a certain age he’s given this gift. He doesn’t know how to deal with it. His dad doesn’t want him in the water, ‘cause he doesn’t want him taken away. The only thing he does know is that his mother was killed. He wants nothing to do with these people. F****** hates ‘em. And, I wanted to see what kinds of jobs he did when he left his dad’s house, y’know, working on big oil rigs. He can go underneath and he saved people and he hasn’t saved people. And the side he can’t cope with is his human side. That’s what makes him great. That’s what’s gonna make him a great king is his humanity."

Unread 2018-11-11, 08:03 PM   #230
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Aquaman' Guide Book Reveals Why Arthur Curry Abandons Atlantis

Fans got to meet the DC Comics hero Aquaman during the events of the Justice League movie, which hinted that he doesn't have a great relationship with the people of Atlantis. Despite being the son of their former queen, it seems like the underwater kingdom hasn't embraced him.

Now we have an idea of why the hero abandoned his ties to Atlantis, thanks to the official Aquaman movie book Arthur's Guide to Atlantis, which is an in-canon collection made by Aquaman himself when he was 13 years old.

The letter, which lays a lot of blame at the feet of Willem Dafoe's Vulko, reads as follows:

"Fine. You know what? Vulko, you and your alien friends win. If Atlantis wants NOTHING to do with me, then I want NOTHING to do with Atlantis. Why can't everyone just leave me ALONE!!

"When I got home, I locked EVERYTHING away—my photos, my letters, my notes, everything that I didn't put in this book. I locked it all up in my old tackle box, and I put it in the cellar. I'm done trying to fit into a world that doesn't want me. A world that killed my mother. So I don't need this book anymore. I'M HIDING IT SOMEWHERE NO ONE WILL EVER FIND IT.

"And Vulko, if he's out there, I just want him to know one thing: GET LOST."

It looks like Vulko will play a major role in bringing Aquaman back to Atlantis to help Mera stop King Orm's campaign against the surface world.

Vulko's actor Willem Dafoe spoke about his role in the film, teasing some major effects-heavy scenes.

"He's an advisor to King Orm, and he's also a mentor to Aquaman,” Dafoe said to Total Film. “You could look at a monitor that was filming in a greenscreen room, with all these elements covered with green fabric and all these reference points, and then you could go to the monitor and see the completed set, but in a rendering that was laid over the live scene. So that was sometimes very helpful. So when you're on this big object that's moving around on the gimbal that's supposed to be a shark - you could actually go to the monitor and see the size of the shark you're on."

Unread 2018-11-11, 08:04 PM   #231
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Aquaman' Guide Book Reveals New Insight Into King Nereus' Kingdom

An entry in Arthur’s Guide to Atlantis has offered some insight into 13-year-old Aquaman's thoughts about King Nereus of Xebel.

The book is written as an in-universe artifact from the perspective of Arthur Curry as a teenager. His entry on Xebel notes that it is ruled by King Nereus, played by Dolph Lundgren.

“Vulko says the king has a family,” the entry reads. “Apparently he has a daughter my age named Mera. Kinda sorta jealous that she’s down there and I’m up here.”

“Down there” and “up here” presumably refers to the surface, Atlantis, and Xebel’s relative locations to each other. It seems young Arthur had an interest in Mera even before meeting here, likely coming from what seems like a lonely childhood for the Atlantean prince.

The entry also includes a photo of a Xebellian polearm. Take a look below.

In previous statements, Lundgren seemed pretty pleased with his royal role in Aquaman.

"It is good to be king. Basically, I try to keep the peace down there along with Amber Heard, who plays my daughter," said Lundgren. "She’s trying to convince me to join the right side. Then you have Nicole Kidman as Aquaman’s mother [Queen Atlanna]. We’re trying to avoid war between the surface dwells and the people of Atlantis."

King Nereus’ queen is also Aquaman’s mother, born to her and a lighthouse keeper named Thomas Curry. Atlanna’s royal responsibilities forced her to return to her underwater home, leaving her son behind with his father. You can read her letter to Arthur here.

Aquaman's royal lineage makes him a threat to his half-brother, Atlanna's other son and current ruler of Atlantis Orm, aka the Ocean Master, played by Patrick Wilson.

“He’s kind of an eco-warrior,” Wilson has said of the character, who wants to unite the seven tribes of Atlantis to wage war against the surface-dwellers. “He’s got a very clear gripe with the surface world, which has been polluting his oceans for centuries. And that’s something for me — I’m sure for you too — that’s very easy to understand. If somebody was just constantly polluting our air and ruining how we lived …”

Unread 2018-11-11, 08:05 PM   #232
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Aquaman': Read Queen Atlanna's Letter to Arthur After Abandoning Him

With marketing for Warner Brothers' Aquaman in full swing, images of a recently-released guide book have surfaced online, giving fans a sneak peek of the movie before it's released. In Aquaman: Arthur's Guide to Atlantis, a two-page spread gives us a look at the letter Queen Atlanna (Nicole Kidman) leaves for an infant Arthur Curry (Jason Momoa) as she leaves him on land.

"To my dearest Arthur, I hope that one day you will understand why I needed to leave," the letter starts with. "There are things at work here that are beyond our control."

"When I came to the surfaced, I had nothing. It was only because of your father's kindness that I survived, and in that kindness, I found something beautiful."

You can read the full two-page letter below.

When ComicBook.com visited the set of Aquaman earlier this year, the production was filming an action film featuring Kidman being chased by invaders through a house. After filming, Aquaman director James Wan told ComicBook.com how important Kidman's Queen Atlanna was to the film.

"Nicole and I have been wanting to work together for a while now and so when this project came along it just felt like, 'Oh I've gotta give Nicole a shot,'" Wan said. "There's no one more perfect to play the queen of Atlantis but, Nicole Kidman, she literally was at the top of my list and luckily we were able to get her to come play with us and I think she's fantastic."

"She's such a great actress and the gravitas and the emotion she brings to the film is just so valuable. And, yes, I've always wanted to see Nicole in a kick ass role as well just like has been brought up."

Wan went on to explain how Atlanna's relationship with Arthur's father is a big part of the movie, influencing the latter's outlook towards Atlantis significantly.

"The love story between her and [Arthur's father] is the emotional backbone for the movie and how it informs Arthur's character and his journey and sort of his bitter outlook on the world of Atlantis," Wan said. "He blames them for something that happens to her and it shapes his point of view."

Unread 2018-11-13, 06:54 PM   #233
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Early 'Aquaman' Review Compares Film to MMA in an Aquarium

DC's Aquaman movie is fighting a major uphill battle to make the DC Extended Universe film franchise relevant again - thankfully, as we head down the stretch to release dat there are some good signs that the film will please DC Comics and blockbuster movie fans, alike.

Last week we got a slew of Aquaman first reactions praising the film - but those reactions were from a fan screening event, and clearly come with a heavy note of bias. Now we're getting a first reaction from a full-fledged critic, and it, too, describes Aquaman as the type of DC superhero fun that fans have been calling for:
Just saw AQUAMAN, which is a whole lot of fun. Like an afternoon at an aquarium crossed with an MMA match. In a good way
— Tatiana Siegel (@TatianaSiegel27) November 13, 2018
Here's what THR's deputy film editor Tatiana Siegel wants you to know about Aquaman: "Just saw AQUAMAN, which is a whole lot of fun. Like an afternoon at an aquarium crossed with an MMA match. In a good way".
The specific line of the film being like "an afternoon at an aquarium crossed with an MMA match" has a lot of fans scratching their heads, trying to reconcile that description into some kind of comprehensive assessment of the film. That aside, fans are understandably feeling pretty good about this early critical reaction, which basically hits all the key words that DC fans want to hear at this juncture.
The word "fun" is a major trigger when it comes to DCEU movies, as Zack Snyder's Man of Steel and Batman v Superman were both heavily criticized for being dour and dark and lacking a true sense of superhero movie fantasy and enjoyment. Justice League was supposed to be the major heel turn where the DCEU entered a new era of more lighthearted superhero fantasy, but ultimately that goal was lost in the muddled mess that the film became when switching between Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon as directors. So far, only Wonder Woman has struck a chord with both hardcore DC fans and general audiences, and that film's ability to inspire the sense of both wonder and heroic inspiration expected of a DC superhero, is cited as a big reason why.

With every new Aquaman trailer we've seen growing evidence that the film is indeed a sprawlingly epic superhero adventure, which will deliver both the action and wonder fans want. While the majority of reviews have yet to come in, things are off to a much better start than most DCEU releases.

Unread 2018-11-14, 08:54 PM   #234
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

‘Aquaman’ Featurette Takes You Under the Sea and Beyond

Dive down under the (special-effects created) sea in a new Aquaman featurette. Here, director James Wan takes us through several of the fantastical underwater worlds the film is set in. The running theme here, from Wan and the cast, is that Aquaman is going to take audiences to places they’ve never been before. Big, bold and strange are the three elements the superhero film seems to be going for. Watch the Aqauman featurette below.

Aquaman Featurette

As a wise crab once said: “Under the sea. Under the sea. Darling it’s better, down where it’s wetter, take it from me. Up on the shore they work all day, out in the sun they slave away. While we devotin’, full time to floatin’, under the sea.” Those words come to life in Aquaman, a new action movie about a muscular fish-man, his bad-wigged girlfriend, and Nicole Kidman. James Wan is the filmmaker tasked with bringing Aquaman to life, and since he’s Australian, he pronounces the title “Ak-wa-man”, and it’s just the cutest thing.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuTbmnkDzw

This featurette is a fun behind-the-scenes look at the film, and it underscores how much work went into crafting the wet and wild worlds on display. While filming underwater would be practically impossible (unless you’re James Cameron), Wan and company took great care in creating their under sea vistas. But the waterlogged worlds aren’t the only fantastical elements that needed to be conjured up. All sorts of elaborate costumes, sets and creatures had to be built from scratch. I don’t know how Aquaman will turn out as a film, but I can tell that the movie is at least going for broke in terms of world building.

Aquaman has had a strange path to the big screen. For years, the character was seen as something of a joke – at least in the general public’s eye – mocked for his ability to “talk to fish.” Zack Snyder’s Justice League attempted to rehabilitate him into a hard-drinkin’, ass-kickin’ Aqua-bro, as played by Jason Momoa. It didn’t quite work, but now Momoa has a chance to lead his own film. Hopefully it’ll work out. In the film, “Aquaman finds himself caught between a surface world that ravages the sea and the underwater Atlanteans who are ready to revolt.”

Unread 2018-11-15, 08:04 PM   #235
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2018-11-15, 08:04 PM   #236
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Unread 2018-11-16, 01:41 PM   #237
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

'Aquaman': Up Close Looks at Orange and Green Costume and Black Manta Suit

Much to the excitement of lifelong DC fans around the world, Jason Momoa is actually going to don the classic, green and orange Aquaman suit at some point James Wan's upcoming solo film.

While we were all hoping for this to be the case, it wasn't confirmed until the movie's second trailer, which ended with one shot of Momoa in the suit, holding his iconic trident. Since then, aside from a couple of posters or toys here and there, we haven't really gotten another good look at the suit.

That is, until Thursday night, when Warner Bros. held the first press screening for Aquaman, and the actual costumes for the characters were on display. ComicBook.com attended the screening and we were able to snap some up close and personal photos of not only Aquaman's classic suit, but also the updated Black Manta suit that Yahya Abdul-Mateen II will wear in the film.
Scroll through to check out the close-up photos of these awesome new outfits, and let us know what you think of them in the comments!

Slide 1 of 5Classic Aquaman 1

Slide 2 of 5Classic Aquaman 2

Slide 3 of 5Classic Aquaman 3

Slide 4 of 5Black Manta 1

Slide 5 of 5Black Manta 2

Unread Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #238
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Final Trailer

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wcj6SrX4zw