Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-08-21, 07:56 PM   #1
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 20
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 18
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default Buying a gas powered pressure washer... but which one?

This is not a tool i will use more than several times a year. STILL... my father taught me to buy the right tool for the job and buy it for life. That's why I have a Stihl chainsaw and weedwacker. I admit I kinda wanted a Husqvarna chainsaw however. (wonder if they sell pressure washers...) Therefore I have basically singled out 2 different units. One is a DeWalt and cost a fairly decent sum more than the other (a Simpson). Both have Honda engines. and both have plenty of power for my needs. I've watched YouTube reviews of both and have a hard time finding a fault with either.

First up, the Simpson with a consumer grade Honda 190cc GC engine. https://goo.gl/dAUSpw I'm not crazy about that engine. I know the pump is more likely to fail when it comes to pressure washers but the replacement cost is not much different on either model.

Second is the DeWalt... Which also matches my air compressor and most hand tools I own. And my 12" miter saw. https://goo.gl/2ABrK7 Yes is is $200 more than the Simpson. BUT it has a commercial grade Honda 200cc GX engine. I also like that the sprayer has a vertical handle about midway. Too many hours at car washes makes me know how tired your arms can get spraying shit.

My question is... do I need to spend $200 more for that commercial grade engine and yellow paint? It kind of feels like overkill. At the same time it is a sexy beast and would look good in the garage haha. I think the Simpson is more than enough for me but I wanted opinions of DIY and engine guys. What say you KCSR?
Unread 2017-08-22, 03:59 PM   #2
icemangsr

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 66
Likes (Given): 264
Likes (Received): 421
Dislikes (Received): 10

Expensive isn't always better.

What are you going to use it for?

I have my opinions, but they are based on what I used mine for, which is primarily washing cars, and cleaning concrete/wood.
"The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred." - Soichiro Honda.
Wife had abs like Paula Patton

icemangsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-22, 04:23 PM   #3
polock4life

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 19
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 109
Likes (Received): 168
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 15

I have had great luck with my honda brand.

At work we tend to buy the "house" brand with the honda engines. They have not held up as well as mine.
polock4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-08-24, 12:11 PM   #4
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21

Yamaha makes a pretty nice power washer
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/pr.../models/pw3028
Unread 2017-08-25, 12:30 AM   #5
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Simpson. It was $391 and I added the 4 year square trade deal. I'm pissed because I would have bought it at Home Depot or even yucky Lowes. Neither of them keep them in stock. Not Strausser or even on the Farm place. WTF? A pressure washer that comes out on top of basically every shootout/review it has and they have to ORDER it for you, taking an extra week? Fuck all that. Amazon will have it here monday. I am dissapoint with local stores that advertise a product but don't actually carry it. Cost you about $500 today, tomorrow you're laying people off. Fucking dicknecks.
Unread 2017-08-25, 07:36 AM   #6
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I read a lot of good things about the powerhorse brand that northern tool carries and so I bought their 300 dollar one when it was on sale. It's turned out to be a fantastic piece of equipment.
Unread 2017-09-01, 12:20 PM   #7
AeroSquid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by polock4life View Post
I have had great luck with my honda brand.

At work we tend to buy the "house" brand with the honda engines. They have not held up as well as mine.
I tend to agree but i'm just a homeowner who will use it occasionally.. This one i got came with a huge warning about using gas with ethanol in it. Naturally 99% of gas stations only sell ethanol gas. Most QT stores are okay if you get the 91. I live really close to Longview Lake and their marina is ethanol free gas. So i went there with my tiny 1 gallon can and filled it up. Guess i'll have to hit the QT once it closes for the season. As of now i'm LOVING my pressure washer with it's Honda engine. I used it to clean mud out of my driveway for 2 hours a couple days ago and my forearms are really feeling it today haha.
Unread 2017-09-01, 12:33 PM   #8
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 689
Likes (Given): 342
Likes (Received): 3959
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

There are a lot more than you think that sell pure gas.

https://www.pure-gas.org/
Unread 2017-10-22, 06:15 PM   #9
YourWorstNightmare

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 105
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 639
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 19

Glad to hear you went with the Simpson.

I was going to say either Simpson, or Generac.

Both have the much more stout Ani-Reverbere pumps on them.

Just what ever you do... Hook up the garden hose, get water through the pump, and coming out of the wash gun BEFORE you start the motor. Try to purge as much air out of the lines as possible before you fire it up. These pumps are almost more expensive than a whole unit new...

I own a Generac 3100 PSI 110cc unit. I threw away the garbage-ass stock 25ft plastic hose it came with, and purchased a heavy duty stainless steel 50ft one with quick disconnects. Sooooooo much better!

Enjoy man!
YourWorstNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote