Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-02-15, 08:51 AM   #76
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

I forgot to update this thread with me adding a Skybell HD into the mix over the holidays. It was super easy to wire up to my existing doorbell and it integrated into SmartThings with ease. I am very impressed with both it's motion sensitivity as well as the video and audio quality.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-22, 05:34 AM   #77
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Added an Amazon Echo into the mix a few weeks back. I've become spoiled to asking her to turn lights off and set the mode of the home.

Also added contact sensors to my exterior doors. I went with sensors from Lowes. They're slim and come in at only $22 a piece. This adds security features to the SmartThings setup. Each sensor reports open/close as well as temperature. I plan on adding more later.

Additionally I've added an AccuRite 5 in 1 Personal Weather Station into my setup. While it only reports the weather at my home (temp, wind, wind direction, rain, and pressure) I can use it to build other automations.

Finally today I have a 2nd gen Rachio Irrigation Controller coming. I pulled the trigger since it will be receiving SmartThings certification any day now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Unread 2017-03-24, 11:10 AM   #78
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Really impressed with the Rachio so far. Was cake to install, as it took me about 30min.i did the advanced setup going as far as measuring the square footage of each zone.

Now I have to get a shell script u and running on my Linux box to pull my PWS data from Weather Underground to another website so that the Rachio will base its weather data from exact conditions and forecast in my yard. Should have that up and running later today or this weekend.

Unread 2017-03-24, 04:44 PM   #79
freekwonder
Guinness Master

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 42
Thanks (Received): 110
Likes (Given): 655
Likes (Received): 783
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 16

Nice. I'm pretty happy with my first gen Rachio, glad they fixed the few things I didn't like about it.
freekwonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-03-25, 05:54 PM   #80
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Got the cron job up and running that pulls the data my PWS sends to WeatherUndergound and sends it to PWSWeather.com where Rachio can talk to.

Unread 2017-03-25, 06:03 PM   #81
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Added an Amazon Echo into the mix a few weeks back. I've become spoiled to asking her to turn lights off and set the mode of the home.
Same here for Google Home. At first it was great when you had the hands full or were wandering around in the dark but now its basically a lazy thing. I can turn on multiple lights at once as I am entering a room, too easy.
Unread 2017-06-21, 08:19 PM   #82
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got myself a harmony hub. My entertainment stuff is too old to be controlled via smartthings otherwise. Despite the shortcomings of IR (which I have mostly been able to tune around) its pretty damned useful, especially once you get it paired with smartthings. Starting a "watch movies" activity turns off all of the lights save for one it dims to 10% and lowers the AC two degrees.
Unread 2017-06-22, 09:37 AM   #83
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 934
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:

Also added contact sensors to my exterior doors. I went with sensors from Lowes. They're slim and come in at only $22 a piece. This adds security features to the SmartThings setup. Each sensor reports open/close as well as temperature. I plan on adding more later.

Additionally I've added an AccuRite 5 in 1 Personal Weather Station into my setup. While it only reports the weather at my home (temp, wind, wind direction, rain, and pressure) I can use it to build other automations.

Finally today I have a 2nd gen Rachio Irrigation Controller coming. I pulled the trigger since it will be receiving SmartThings certification any day now.

I love my Echo and Echo Dot paired with my ST Hub. I wish it could open doors too. When carrying things down the to my basement I can tell Echo to turn on my basement lights so I don't have to find my way in the dark. I know that's super lazy but it's still nice.

I want to add an Accurite sometime in the future, just added the video door bell. Going to have it turn on a light or two when it senses motion after sunset while on vacation.
Unread 2017-06-22, 09:39 AM   #84
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 934
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Same here for Google Home. At first it was great when you had the hands full or were wandering around in the dark but now its basically a lazy thing. I can turn on multiple lights at once as I am entering a room, too easy.
My brother in law came into town two nights ago and we were on the couch watching a movie. It was super easy, video door bell sensed motion, we saw it was him, we told echo to unlock the front door and turn on entry light.
Unread 2017-06-22, 10:44 AM   #85
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Im such an idiot that I spent 15 minutes in ST creating virtual switches/scenes and another 15 in IFTTT custom phrases.

As I am walking down the stairs I go, "Ok Google, let there be light!" and the entire first floor lights up on max. A kind of "pick me up" on my way to making my morning smoothie. Saying good night on the way up the stairs turns off any downstairs lights left on (my coworker wants me to set this up at his house because his kids leave all kinds of shit on).

My parents dismissed it as lazy when I demonstrated it over chat but once they experienced it in use they want me to do it to their house. And I havent even got into using prox sensors or anything, just voice prompts and scenes.
Unread 2017-06-22, 10:49 AM   #86
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Im such an idiot that I spent 15 minutes in ST creating virtual switches/scenes and another 15 in IFTTT custom phrases.

As I am walking down the stairs I go, "Ok Google, let there be light!" and the entire first floor lights up on max. A kind of "pick me up" on my way to making my morning smoothie. Saying good night on the way up the stairs turns off any downstairs lights left on (my coworker wants me to set this up at his house because his kids leave all kinds of shit on).

My parents dismissed it as lazy when I demonstrated it over chat but once they experienced it in use they want me to do it to their house. And I havent even got into using prox sensors or anything, just voice prompts and scenes.
Now being able to say a custom phrase to get an event to happen would be badass.

As of currently I am reduced to, "Alexa, turn on Master Bedroom".

Unread 2017-06-23, 07:08 AM   #87
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Now being able to say a custom phrase to get an event to happen would be badass.

As of currently I am reduced to, "Alexa, turn on Master Bedroom".
Doesnt Echo work with IFTTT?

I mean Google just added shortcuts (aka custom phrases) but I was doing most of it through IFTTT before that. I still use IFTTT for custom phrases for ST devices because you can customize the response.

"Google, let there be light!"
"Yes Sir you giant dicked god!"

I didnt really have her say that, but with IFTTT you can.

Yeah, just looked:
https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

Get on that shit.
Unread 2017-06-23, 07:13 AM   #88
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I learned about the Harmony integration is its not a "one shot" deal. So I have my "watch TV" activity to turn on the TV, sound bar, and tune to whatever channel I told it to. Additionally I have it to set my living room lights to 20% but ONLY after sunset.

Last night I started watching TV before sunset but its been really dark and rainy so I manually turned on the light but had already started the activity. Well low and behold at 8:53 (our official sunset) the light dimmed to 30%. So the scenes/activities you set in Harmony are ongoing, continuously evaluating criteria.

Not sure if i consider it a good thing or a bad thing but its a thing.
Unread 2017-06-23, 08:47 AM   #89
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Doesnt Echo work with IFTTT?

I mean Google just added shortcuts (aka custom phrases) but I was doing most of it through IFTTT before that. I still use IFTTT for custom phrases for ST devices because you can customize the response.

"Google, let there be light!"
"Yes Sir you giant dicked god!"

I didnt really have her say that, but with IFTTT you can.

Yeah, just looked:
https://ifttt.com/amazon_alexa

Get on that shit.
Ok I didn't kow I could do custom phrases via IFTTT and Echo. Fucking A.