Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-05-10, 09:36 PM   #1
EG9-ish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 129
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 7
Default New home advice

So my wife and I have recently purchased our first home! Because this is all new to me, what advice could you give me that you wish you'd have known when you bought your first home? I don't know much about taking care of a property so all of the feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.

2005 BMW 325xi
[B]| Built, Not Bought | 92 Civic Ferio
Revline Motors
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes NickW936 liked this post
EG9-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 07:44 AM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by EG9-ish View Post
So my wife and I have recently purchased our first home! Because this is all new to me, what advice could you give me that you wish you'd have known when you bought your first home? I don't know much about taking care of a property so all of the feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.

1. Repair - Repair anything that needs repaired IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait and repair it the correct way the first time.

2. Hardwood Floor Care - Don't use any Orange Glow or other shit like that on your hardwoods. It coats them and will fuck your world up if you ever want to re-poly them. Instead use something like Armstrong Hardwood Cleaner, or Bona.

3. Reseal your tile annually

4. Reseal your granite annually

5. Change your furnace filters regularly

6. Perform annual maintenance on your HVAC system. I love Anthony Heating & Plumbings ASAP program for this.

7. Use Grasspad for your lawn & garden care.

Likes shaun y liked this post
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 08:02 AM   #3
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 456
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 3881
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 123

Get at least two cats and allow them to roam free in your new neighborhood.
Unread 2017-05-11, 08:14 AM   #4
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2483
Likes (Received): 1671
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
Get at least two cats and allow them to roam free in your new neighborhood.

Yeah, do whatever the fuck you want down there.
Unread 2017-05-11, 10:09 AM   #5
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 82
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Congratulations on your new home purchase.

To add to the list:

8. Drainage and gutters - clean gutters regular and make sure you have good drainage away from the home.

9. Emergency fund - things break when you least expect it. Our fridge died in the first month we owned our home, stove went not long after that.

10. Read the fine print in your homeowners policy. For example, roof replacement due to hail. Every company handles it differently and you may end up paying more than you realize.
Unread 2017-05-11, 10:13 AM   #6
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 1794
Likes (Received): 1701
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Some of the best advice that I received was every few weeks to a month, just do a general walk around of the property, inside and outside of the home. Look at the things you normally wouldn't look at. It allows you to notice things sooner, fix things before they become big problems, and lets you take care of things as the arise rather than have a crap load of maintenance fall on you at once.

Other than that, Just the basics - keep the AC cleaned off, the furnace filter changed (the highest merv rating is not always best), keep the gutters clear and make sure downspouts get water away from the house. Keep trees and shrubs trimmed away from the house. If you have neighbors, try to get on their good side.
Unread 2017-05-11, 10:16 AM   #7
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Nova View Post

To add to the list:

8. Drainage and gutters - clean gutters regular and make sure you have good drainage away from the home.

9. Emergency fund - things break when you least expect it. Our fridge died in the first month we owned our home, stove went not long after that.

10. Read the fine print in your homeowners policy. For example, roof replacement due to hail. Every company handles it differently and you may end up paying more than you realize.
To add to that, one thing we did recently was up our deductible to $2500. It saved us hundreds a year. Yes, we have to pay out more if something happens, but realistically, we would probably pay out of pocket to at least that point, even with a lower deductible.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 10:24 AM   #8
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 691
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 3960
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

On top of maintenance remodel something in the house every year or two just to be sure you don't let it get way out of date and have huge remodel expenses all at once when you sell.
Unread 2017-05-11, 03:05 PM   #9
waphill

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 15
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 3

Quote:

Yes, make sure your roof settlement is "replacement cost." If is it "Actual Cash Value (ACV)," change it asap. Also, since you're in OK, you might want to consider adding earthquake coverage to your homeowners. It's not included in a basic HO policy.
waphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 05:14 PM   #10
seawolfxix

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 35
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
3. Reseal your tile annually

4. Reseal your granite annually
How critical are these two?

We've been in our house 3 years and haven't done anything for granite or tile.
seawolfxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 05:17 PM   #11
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 691
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 3960
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Not at all critical. Haven't done it yet and no need to imo
Unread 2017-05-11, 06:21 PM   #12
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 530
Likes (Received): 1138

Quote:

To add to the list:

This. People underestimate the importance of good drainage.

Other tips I can think of...

Don't hoard crap in your garage. If you cars don't fit, clean/organize.

Fix and repair stuff right away. Don't wait. Just do it.

If there's something that needs renovating, do it (as funds allow). Too often I see people running around putting in new things when they are selling their house, when they could have done those things and been enjoying them.

Unless you have a super huge yard, don't buy gasoline powered lawn equipment. It's not worth it anymore.

Install motion activated exterior lights. The more, the better.

If you have GPS in your car, don't set "home" to your actual home. If someone steals your car, they have your garage door opening, know where you live, and know you're not home.

If you have the option between cheap, or less maintenance, choose less maintenance.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-11, 07:25 PM   #13
mild83

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 927
Thanks (Received): 335
Likes (Given): 6348
Likes (Received): 2732
Dislikes (Given): 128
Dislikes (Received): 131

Lots of great advice, most has been gone over.

I'm going through getting my house ready to sell right now. So this gives me an opportunity to think about what I might have done differently. The main thing is that I wish I wouldn't have so much fucking junk. Shit I never even knew I still had or saw in 10+ years. I tossed/donated so much clothing and possessions in the past 6 weeks, it's amazing. And I love it.

Really go over your homeowner's insurance policy and that you actually understand it. Because trust me, when you need to use it, being proficient in the policy language can sometimes save you hundreds, if not thousands of dollars and hassle. Mach made a good point on the deductible. A lot of people go with a low deductible so if they have to use it, it doesn't "hurt" as much. While I understand that, you can get substantial savings with a higher deductible. Likely you won't make a claim unless it is a necessity (water damage, fire, burglary, etc), and a lot of times, contractors will help eat some of the deductible, anyway.

Put mirrors on your bedroom ceiling.
Unread 2017-05-11, 10:57 PM   #14
EG9-ish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 20
Likes (Given): 143
Likes (Received): 129
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 7

Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!

I'm actually not in OKC any longer, I'm back here in KCMO.

Regarding HVAC, I've replaced the furnace filter as the old one was bad, and also the incorrect size. What is recommended for the AC? The unit is the original to the home, built in 2004, so I know taking care of it now can at least get some more life out of it.

Do I need to do anything special with the water heater? Any maintenance to it?

I'm going to buy longer gutter drains this weekend to pull more water away from the home. When it comes to the gutters, there aren't any trees above the home. Is cleaningl something I should still do often, once a year type of thing or more frequent than that?

The roof is brand new at least! I'll read up on my homeowner's policy to see if I see anything that sounds funny. I use State Farm if that means anything.

Corners,

You mentioned don't buy gasoline powered mower if I don't have a large yard. Any reason for this, just out of curiosity? I do have quite the sized yard, half acre, so your comment stood out to me.

2005 BMW 325xi
[B]| Built, Not Bought | 92 Civic Ferio
Revline Motors
EG9-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 08:50 AM   #15
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Corners explains his point about the lawnmowers in this thread: http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t...&highlight=ego
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 11:20 AM   #16
CC's70RS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 44
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 1

Quote:
Wow, thank you all so much for your replies!

I'm actually not in OKC any longer, I'm back here in KCMO.

Regarding HVAC, I've replaced the furnace filter as the old one was bad, and also the incorrect size. What is recommended for the AC? The unit is the original to the home, built in 2004, so I know taking care of it now can at least get some more life out of it.

Do I need to do anything special with the water heater? Any maintenance to it?

I'm going to buy longer gutter drains this weekend to pull more water away from the home. When it comes to the gutters, there aren't any trees above the home. Is cleaningl something I should still do often, once a year type of thing or more frequent than that?

The roof is brand new at least! I'll read up on my homeowner's policy to see if I see anything that sounds funny. I use State Farm if that means anything.

Corners,

You mentioned don't buy gasoline powered mower if I don't have a large yard. Any reason for this, just out of curiosity? I do have quite the sized yard, half acre, so your comment stood out to me.
HVAC: I change the furnace filter on the first of each month. On a unit installed in 2004, you shouldn't have any issues, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. It's better to find out now, than when it's hotter than balls.

Water heater: Drain about 1/4 of the water out once a year to remove any sediment. Keep it & the area clean. These are usually in the basement or mechanical room, where cobwebs like to grow.

Gutters: I don't have any trees either, but I get the ladder out & check the gutters at least once a year.......in the fall before winter rolls in.

Mower: I maintain 2+ acres, so battery powered mowers / trimmers are not really an option. I have a 54" Husqvarna zero turn mower & a couple Stihl trimmers.
CC's70RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 11:28 AM   #17
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC's70RS View Post
HVAC: I change the furnace filter on the first of each month. On a unit installed in 2004, you shouldn't have any issues, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. It's better to find out now, than when it's hotter than balls.

Water heater: Drain about 1/4 of the water out once a year to remove any sediment. Keep it & the area clean. These are usually in the basement or mechanical room, where cobwebs like to grow.

Gutters: I don't have any trees either, but I get the ladder out & check the gutters at least once a year.......in the fall before winter rolls in.

Mower: I maintain 2+ acres, so battery powered mowers / trimmers are not really an option. I have a 54" Husqvarna zero turn mower & a couple Stihl trimmers.
That's overkill, unless your HVAC is sucking in some dirty ass air. A good filter should last 3 months, easily.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 12:01 PM   #18
sleek98

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Given): 185
Likes (Received): 201
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 4

I always put the date that I put the filter in. In the spring and fall when we would have the windows open it would usually get one each month. in the dead of summer and winter it would be every other month.

Dont buy the highest rated filter either. Unless you have some serious allergies they will just make the blower work harder for no real gain, and I learned the hard way replacing a blower motor in our first place. But thats my 2 cents as I dont have allergies.
Unread 2017-05-12, 12:04 PM   #19
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
That's overkill, unless your HVAC is sucking in some dirty ass air. A good filter should last 3 months, easily.
I have 12 mo filters but I change them every 6 mos

Likes mild83 liked this post
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 02:07 PM   #20
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

On the AC, make sure the fins are clean. You may have to take off an outer case, which can be a PITA, but if your fins are covered in cotton and other debris, your AC will work considerably harder than it needs to, and can even start shutting down which is a PITA. I usually just use a garden hose to clean it off. Nothing with a lot of pressure or it will bend the fins.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 02:24 PM   #21
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 530
Likes (Received): 1138

Quote:
Corners,

They're not worth the hassle anymore. But, if you have 1/2 acre, that's a lot. Gas, or even a rider might be the way to go for you. You make the call. But, everything outside of the mower, definitely stay battery powered.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-12, 02:47 PM   #22
ItalionStallion888
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 184
Thanks (Received): 260
Likes (Given): 2191
Likes (Received): 1603
Dislikes (Given): 68
Dislikes (Received): 73

don't open a homedepot credit card

check the grading around the house

Paint and do all of that shit before you move everything into place. We moved in, set up and then tried to paint a year later and that was a PITA, but we had Ridley so the focus was on getting the baby room finished.

As far as projects go, we've found it easiest to just go room by room. Instead of having projects spread out across the house. Save and use cash whenever you can.
ItalionStallion888 is offline   Reply With Quote