Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-04-10, 08:49 AM   #1
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 154
Likes (Received): 911
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 9
Default DIY Deals Thread

I scored some deals this weekend so I thought we should start a deals for home improvement related items. One tip I'll give is to check HD's deal of the day. Yesterday's was great.

I got an EGO 56 volt cordless blower for $99 when the regular price is $199. I'm sick of gas and cords and this was a steal. I also picked up a 56 volt cordless trimmer for $129 from EGO as well. I'm still debating on getting the electric mower but I think a gas mower is still the way to go, I don't mind the electric trimming tools.
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Corners liked this post
impaul4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-10, 04:14 PM   #2
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 111
Thanks (Received): 185
Likes (Given): 530
Likes (Received): 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaul4 View Post
I scored some deals this weekend so I thought we should start a deals for home improvement related items. One tip I'll give is to check HD's deal of the day. Yesterday's was great.

I got an EGO 56 volt cordless blower for $99 when the regular price is $199. I'm sick of gas and cords and this was a steal. I also picked up a 56 volt cordless trimmer for $129 from EGO as well. I'm still debating on getting the electric mower but I think a gas mower is still the way to go, I don't mind the electric trimming tools.
Nice! A buddy of mine texted me about the sale. That was a killer deal. I was tempted on the trimmer. I have the blower and mower. Good stuff. The blower kicks ass. It moves more air than my neighbor's Stihl. The only con I'd say about the blower is that if you're heavy on the turbo button, you can blow through a battery in 12-15 mins. Still not bad all things considered.

The mower is great. I'll never go gas again, unless I somehow move to a house with a huge yard, but I'd probably get a rider in that case. As far as push mowers go, electrics are here, and the Ego can do the job. I've "sold" 3 of them so far. I let my dad borrow my mower, and he went out and bought one. His neighbor saw it and now he has one. I let my neighbor borrow mine last year, and now he has one. The big pro with the mower is you get the larger battery, and you get the fast charger. The charger on the mower battery goes to 75% charge in 20 mins, and full in 45. You can charge the blower battery in 30 mins (15 mins to 75%). I like having the larger battery to use in the blower if I know I'm going to be doing some heavy use. The only con's I've had with the mower are the side discharge is a joke. I don't side discharge, so works for me, but it's a complete afterthought. All it is is a plastic diverter you install on the bagger exit that directs clippings to the side.

The electric mowers do a few things to make up for the lack of power over the gas. Because of the increased torque of the electric mower and the fact there's no engine to stall, they use a thinner, lighter weight blade. They don't need the heavier moment of inertia to keep the engine running. The thinner blade uses less power to spin and cut. Speaking of blades, I have noticed running electrics over the years is that the mower is more sensitive to how sharp the blade is. On the gas, they are so overpowered today that they could be fitted with an unsharped bar and it would still beat the grass down to size. Yeah, it's be a shitty cut, be it could do it. I know my brother in law ran his Toro for 10 years and never sharped the blade. On the electric, I can feel when the blade is dull. I hand file them twice a year, and it's all good.

My dad just mowed his backyard on the 2.5ah battery the other day. He was also mowing the neighbor behind him (his neighbor has stage 4 cancer). He used the 5ah pack and did his neighbor's back yard and had half a battery left. I asked him why he didn't just use the 5ah pack, and he said he didn't want to run out...which I still don't understand, since he has the 2.5 from the blower as backup, so whatever, he got it done.
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-10, 04:45 PM   #3
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

It's fun all the things you can do with the electric blower. You can use it to dry off your car, or even in light snow. I like to stand inside my house and blow snow off my back steps. Can't do that with gas. With our non-winter we had this year, the blower is the only thing I used. Here it is on the front steps...

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSvjt0_GWl4
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Unread 2017-04-10, 07:34 PM   #4
MymonteSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Given): 23
Likes (Received): 119
Dislikes (Given): 21
Dislikes (Received): 1

I got two Milwaukee 5.0 batteries from strasser hardware for $70 each. Regularly they are $129 each. There was some sort of weekend sale. I also got the fuel circular saw with 9.0 battery and quick charger
Unread 2017-04-10, 10:22 PM   #5
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like

I would love the electric mower but shelling out $500 isn't needed right now. Once my gas goes out I might consider it. I'm anxious to try the trimmer, I'm sick of cranking my gas mower and it dying out when I flip it to edge. This will be so much better and way lighter I assume.

I did get to try the blower and it works great. The turbo button is nice for those stubborn pieces. I had corded blower and omg what a pain in the ass.

I first got turned to Ego when I was scoping their snow blower. I really wanted to catch one of those on sale but haven't seen it.
I guess people are doing anything for a quick buck these days. If I wanna vacuum my house butt naked while listening to Darude - Sandstorm with the blinds open, I should be able to without people OUTSIDE giving a fuck.
Unread 2017-04-10, 10:25 PM   #6
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4369
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 168

I saw that blower on sale and almost snagged it. It would be handy to have during mowing season for sure.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-04-11, 06:32 AM   #7
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by impaul4 View Post
I would love the electric mower but shelling out $500 isn't needed right now. Once my gas goes out I might consider it. I'm anxious to try the trimmer, I'm sick of cranking my gas mower and it dying out when I flip it to edge. This will be so much better and way lighter I assume.

I did get to try the blower and it works great. The turbo button is nice for those stubborn pieces. I had corded blower and omg what a pain in the ass.

I first got turned to Ego when I was scoping their snow blower. I really wanted to catch one of those on sale but haven't seen it.
Definitely go electric. Yeah, they cost a little more right now, but that changes every year. The convenience is worth the cost. And if you do care about ground level emissions, do know that an electric mower drastically cuts emissions compared to gas. There's little to no emissions equipment on gas mowers. 1 hour of mowing is the same as taking a 100 mile trip in your car. The 2 strokes on the old trimmers and blowers are worse. In Edmunds test, a 2 cycle blower used for 30 mins produced the same amount of hydrocarbon emissions as an F150 Raptor driven for 3,887 miles.

But, I understand your hesitation. It is a lot of money for something you have zero experience with. All you need to do is try it to calm your fears. They sell themselves once you get to try them.

You're going to love the trimmer. Is VERY powerful. A work buddy has one.

Here's my box fan on wheels...
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL2pljcEyk8
Unread 2017-05-04, 09:46 AM   #8
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like

Ego products back up on HD. Mower + trimmer for $399.
Unread 2017-05-04, 10:51 AM   #9
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1933
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

My nextdoor neighbor has a Ego mower and she lets me use it whenever I want. One thing I've noticed is it's not great at mulching. After she mows and once after I tried mowing with it, it seemed to drop an awful lot of large clippings on the lawn.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-04, 10:52 AM   #10
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
My nextdoor neighbor has a Ego mower and she lets me use it whenever I want. One thing I've noticed is it's not great at mulching. After she mows and once after I tried mowing with it, it seemed to drop an awful lot of large clippings on the lawn.
Mine grows fast and I need a good mulcher. As much as I love my other EGO items. I think I'm going to spring for the two-blade Honda mower.
Unread 2017-05-05, 09:54 AM   #11
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

My ego mower does pretty well. Mulches good enough for me. I don't notice anything mulching issues. The yard eats all the clippings. Any cons with the Ego Mower are outweighed by the pros. Sure is nice mowing and not smelling like exhaust when you're done.
Unread 2017-05-05, 10:20 AM   #12
BMc

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 102
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

I went from an Echo gas trimmer & leaf blower to EGO 56v units last year and have never looked back. I bought both with the battery thinking I may not be able to trim and blow on one single battery and I was wrong. I can do all of that on one single battery and usually blow the next round as well, all on one battery. I like having two because if I forgot to throw the dead one on the charger, I always have a topped off one sitting on the work bench. There is more than enough torque from the trimmer to trim even the heavy shit in the corners and I find myself trimming at 50% power just because it doesn't require it. And it's quiet. And you can flip it in any direction you want without worries of starving the carb. The blow is also badass. I can blow out my garage with my daughter sleeping in the room above on the low speed because it's whisper quiet and then ramp it up to 100% for most of the grass clippings. When you get to heavy clumps of grass and crap, the turbo button seems to double the speed of the 100% setting and it clears everything instantly.

I also replaced my 18ish volt Ryobi hedge trimmer this year with the EGO unit that I use once a year clearing out all of my maiden grasses for the new growth. It used to take all 4 batteries for my various Ryobi stuff and this time with the EGO, it cleared through it all in about 3 minutes and didn't phase the battery. Put it back on the charger and it was back to full in a few minutes.

I like the idea of the snow blower but I already have a bigass 2 stage 24" gasser and never want to go without that clearing power for the heavy wet snow we....used to get.

Same goes for the mower. I love the idea of zero maintenance however I also like cutting my lawn in 20 minutes with my 42" ZTR.
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-05, 11:04 AM   #13
impaul4

Post Thanks / Like

I love my cordless trimmer and blower. I just need to look more before I make the mower jump.