Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2013-09-19, 08:28 PM   #26
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1

Are you asking how to break into the field? If so, I'll be 100% honest-- probably one of the hardest fields to get in without experience. What sort of positions are you applying for? Most if the time you'll have to start with assistant/coordinator positions. Those are the "entry" positions for hr. You can also look into administrative positions that have similar job duties as an hr individual may do. Those are my suggestions based on my experiences getting into the field. Are you studying for your PHR? That will also help you. Try to make your experiences fit into the hr role that you're going for.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-26, 04:38 PM   #27
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 318
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedysweetie View Post
Are you asking how to break into the field? If so, I'll be 100% honest-- probably one of the hardest fields to get in without experience. What sort of positions are you applying for? Most if the time you'll have to start with assistant/coordinator positions. Those are the "entry" positions for hr. You can also look into administrative positions that have similar job duties as an hr individual may do. Those are my suggestions based on my experiences getting into the field. Are you studying for your PHR? That will also help you. Try to make your experiences fit into the hr role that you're going for.

I am due to gradute in May and have not studied for the PHR yet, I really am looking at just about any position that has some HR duties that I can utilize as experience for future positions. I also thought you were required to have 2 years of HR experience to sit for the PHR.

Last edited by redlobster; 2013-09-26 at 04:41 PM..
redlobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-09-27, 05:31 PM   #28
speedysweetie
Mafia Queen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 176
Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobster View Post
I am due to gradute in May and have not studied for the PHR yet, I really am looking at just about any position that has some HR duties that I can utilize as experience for future positions. I also thought you were required to have 2 years of HR experience to sit for the PHR.
Dang! Students used to be able to take the exam, but I just saw that the got rid of it in 2011. What a bummer.

Check with your school and see if they have a work-study program. If so, see if you can find work in the HR department. Although not glamorous, you're at least getting SOME exposure to it.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want"
"If you feel you need to tell lies to get ahead, perhaps you need to evaluate why you're behind in the first place."
speedysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-10-22, 10:00 AM   #29
cmehl

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 20
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 10

When reaching out to employers, i found that i have success when i show my passion and willingness to volunteer from the getgo. When i contact them i let them know im passionate about what they are doing and offer to volunteer or help anyway you can. It changes the tone from "Hey i want a job and i want you to get me one" to "Hey how can i help".. i find i get a lot of my opportunities this way.. just a tip
cmehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2013-12-24, 06:05 PM   #30
IsaacDC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 9
Dislikes (Given): 1

Great thread, interview section is spot on IMO.
Unread 2014-10-03, 09:10 AM   #31
KCTOOL

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Dislikes (Received): 0

Wow this is the most amazing thread I have ever seen about how to get a job. Nicely done!
KCTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote