Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Bureau of Alcohol and Tobacco

Unread 2014-07-30, 07:08 PM   #1
Screamin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 3
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default Breweries in KC

What's up fellow craft beer drinkers. Me and my wife will be moving to KC pretty soon and one of our favorite things to do is hit up River City Brewery here in Wichita. Great food and great beer. They make 7-8 beers year round and then have seasonal/specialty beers which add up to about 10-15. I'm gonna miss that place

So, I would like to know some of your favorite places to go for some beer and hopefully good food. I know of two places up there, Flying Saucer and Boulevard. Flying Saucer doesn't make their own beer but good food. I have never been to Boulevard, don't know if they even have a place that like what I'm looking for but I have had their beer and love some of them.

I've heard that KC has some of these places I'm looking for but don't know their names and of course don't know if they are any good.

So, help me out if you can
Screamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 07:59 PM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 255
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1926
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Yardhouse and Granite City are national chains but both microbrew on top of any craft brews they sell.

Rock and Run in Liberty is a local micro brew pub that also sells crafts.

Martin City Brewery is a good craft brew pub. No micros there though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:00 PM   #3
V-dubbin

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 804
Likes (Received): 513
Dislikes (Given): 56
Dislikes (Received): 254

Yard house has a HUGE selection of craft beers. I think they have around 120 beers on tap. JW, a member on here is the manager at the one at the Legends. The food is excellent, can't go wrong with anything. Another one is Martin City Brewery, which I have heard great things about. There's quite a few craft beer fans here, so I'm sure they will chime in.

Edit: Damn you Brian!
V-dubbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:13 PM   #4
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212

75th St brewery. Their beers have won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and International World Beer Cup.
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:14 PM   #5
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like

Martin City Brewery isn't that good and you can't even get their beers in the main restaurant.
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:16 PM   #6
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 701
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan D View Post
Martin City Brewery isn't that good and you can't even get their beers in the main restaurant.
And they need to get the roads fixed.... or MODOT does...
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:35 PM   #7
Screamin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really looking for places to go to that serve craft bears, those are popping up all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Flying Saucer or Yard House.

I'm looking for places that make their own beers, micro breweries. It sounds like something like 75th Street Brewery or Martin Street is what I'm looking for.

Does 75th serve food also? Martin Street isn't that good?

We have two micro breweries here in Wichita. River City and Wichita Brewery. Both are good but River City is my favorite. Both make their own beers, River City has more of a selection.
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:38 PM   #8
opwrx

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 12
Dislikes (Received): 0

Quote:
Apparently the reason why is that the brewery operation is across the street from the main restaurant. The way that liquor laws work, they would have to sell the beer to a distributor, then sell it to the restaurant in order to serve it. It sounds crazy, but that's what I was told the last time I was at the tap room.

FWIW, the bourbon barrel porter I had last week was pretty good. The dark saison is another great beer they brew. The original recipe was contract brewed with Odell.
opwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:41 PM   #9
Screamin

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot about McCoys in Westport. That place had some killer beers and food.

I'm definitely going to try some 75th Street brew, that bourbon barrel porter sounds really good.

The Tap room, sounds interesting. I'm for sure going to check out places that don't make their own beers but serve a wide variety.

I found this:

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archi...-opening-in-kc

Last edited by Screamin; 2014-07-30 at 08:46 PM..
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:43 PM   #10
JewelsMari

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 131
Thanks (Received): 34
Likes (Given): 701
Likes (Received): 282
Dislikes (Given): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screamin View Post
I'm not really looking for places to go to that serve craft bears, those are popping up all over the place. Don't get me wrong, I love going to Flying Saucer or Yard House.

I'm looking for places that make their own beers, micro breweries. It sounds like something like 75th Street Brewery or Martin Street is what I'm looking for.

We have two micro breweries here in Wichita. River City and Wichita Brewery. Both are good but River City is my favorite. Both make their own beers, River City has more of a selection.
Kansas City has quite a couple of microbrew festivals where you can go to try new beers. Parkville has one and Zona Rosa's is August 16. I'm sure there are more, but I don't know where off the top of my head. High Noon Saloon (Leavenworth) had a beer at the Zona Rosa Festival a few years back that I really liked, but I don't remember what it was.
Unread 2014-07-30, 08:50 PM   #11
Screamin

Post Thanks / Like

I'm for sure going to check out some beer festivals. I've been eyeing beerfest this Sept 27th. Me and my wife have been to Midwest Beerfest in Wichita since it started...5 years from what I remember.
Unread 2014-07-30, 10:30 PM   #12
soup6552

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Dislikes (Received): 0

I love Martin City's brews, haven't had a bad one by them yet and they always seem to be adding new beers to the tap list. The construction down there makes it an ass to get to but it is a fun place to hangout. Never been to 75th st but have had a couple of their beers, didn't care for either. Cinder block brewery is located in North Kansas City, they seem to have produced some quality beers so far. KC Bier Co in Waldo is the newest brewery to open, they focus on traditional German style beers.

Lawrence has Free State brewing, plenty of good beers from there.

KC is slowly getting its beer scene up to par, lots of good places to go have beers and our local distributors do a pretty good job of procuring out of state crafts.
soup6552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-30, 10:36 PM   #13
Kyle Bryan k

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 84
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 434
Likes (Received): 181
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
75th St brewery. Their beers have won medals at the Great American Beer Festival and International World Beer Cup.
I like the Good hope ipa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelsMari View Post
And they need to get the roads fixed.... or MODOT does...
The east bound lane just before holmes is ridiculous right now

Quote:

Does 75th serve food also? .
Yes they have good burgers and awesome mashed cauliflower
Kyle Bryan k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-31, 07:10 AM   #14
shonuff

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 27
Thanks (Received): 28
Likes (Given): 424
Likes (Received): 192
Dislikes (Given): 6

+1 for Cinder block. If you are a fan of sours, their Berliner Weisse is killer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzaisushi
I think it would suck to be a dickhead... Seriously in the dark all day, it can get kinda funky and when you do come out a fucking hand tries to choke you or your shoved into a fucking sarlacc.
shonuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-31, 07:11 AM   #15
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure Rock & Run up in Liberty has the biggest selection of micros.

Unread 2014-07-31, 10:28 AM   #16
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

75th street has great food.

Martin City had poor service the day I was there and the food was meh. Plus, not being able to get their own brews was frustrating.
Unread 2014-07-31, 11:27 AM   #17
Mobbes

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 47
Thanks (Received): 79
Likes (Given): 161
Likes (Received): 357
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
I'm pretty sure Rock & Run up in Liberty has the biggest selection of micros.
This. Rock and Run has a great selection of house made micros. They also carry a large amount of guest beers. It is worth the trip and the food is pretty good too. Try a White Pizza and the Hummus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumar
New aids is still aids.
Mobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-31, 11:41 AM   #18
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 202
Thanks (Received): 245
Likes (Given): 2438
Likes (Received): 1631
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 46

Out in Lawrence, 30 min west of KC, there is 23rd st brewery. They specialize in pale ales and IPAs. All of the beers they brew are good. The raspberry wheat is one of my favorites from them... it's not sweet. It is a wheat with a hint of the tart raspberry flavor. Very good on a summer day.

The other brewery in Lawrence if Free State, who is much more renowned and (IMHO) better than 23rd street brewery. They usually have 8 beers on tap that they brew themselves. Always the Copperhead, Ad Astra, Oatmeal Stout, and wheat; all of which are solid. Then, they will have 4 more that are either seasonal or one-offs. They are almost always delicious, especially at their restaurant... the food is top notch as well.
Keboh is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2014-07-31, 11:51 AM   #19
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Out in Lawrence, 30 min west of KC, there is 23rd st brewery. They specialize in pale ales and IPAs. All of the beers they brew are good. The raspberry wheat is one of my favorites from them... it's not sweet. It is a wheat with a hint of the tart raspberry flavor. Very good on a summer day.

The other brewery in Lawrence if Free State, who is much more renowned and (IMHO) better than 23rd street brewery. They usually have 8 beers on tap that they brew themselves. Always the Copperhead, Ad Astra, Oatmeal Stout, and wheat; all of which are solid. Then, they will have 4 more that are either seasonal or one-offs. They are almost always delicious, especially at their restaurant... the food is top notch as well.
Can't argue with either of these either.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Keboh liked this post
Unread 2014-07-31, 06:48 PM   #20
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 450
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 3841
Dislikes (Given): 7
Dislikes (Received): 122

23rd, Free State, and 75th are great suggestions.

I used to work with Matt who runs 23rd back in the day. He's a great guy.

I have a good friend and former 7yr Yard House team member that left us to go help Cinder Block get off the ground. I can't speak to the food quality, but they do serve food.

Go check it out, ask for Sarah, and tell her J.W. sent you

And please feel free to stop in and see me at Yard House. I'll be at The Legends until mid-December, then catch me at P&L come February/March.

Unread 2014-07-31, 07:30 PM   #21
Screamin

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably have to hit all them up to see how they are. I've already planned on going to Free State soon, meeting some buddies up there.

JW, I will for sure stop by The Yard House for some brews before you leave. If you don't mind me asking, why are you heading to P&L?
Unread 2014-08-01, 07:45 AM   #22
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably have to hit all them up to see how they are. I've already planned on going to Free State soon, meeting some buddies up there.

JW, I will for sure stop by The Yard House for some brews before you leave. If you don't mind me asking, why are you heading to P&L?

As we grow our brand in this market I have been asked to get this one up and off of the ground. If I do a good job, and can recreate the culture there that we have at the Legends location, I will be up for a promotion to Director of Operations.

Once we get a few of our N. Texas locations on line I will have the two KC locations and three in Texas. If things go as planed that will go down in the first quarter of '16.

I don't plan to screw it up

In the short term it will be nice to have a shorter commute as I have been living in Grain Valley MO and driving to The Legends for the last seven years.

I won't miss the drive that's for sure!
Unread 2014-08-01, 08:29 AM   #23
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
As we grow our brand in this market I have been asked to get this one up and off of the ground. If I do a good job, and can recreate the culture there that we have at the Legends location, I will be up for a promotion to Director of Operations.

Once we get a few of our N. Texas locations on line I will have the two KC locations and three in Texas. If things go as planed that will go down in the first quarter of '16.

I don't plan to screw it up

In the short term it will be nice to have a shorter commute as I have been living in Grain Valley MO and driving to The Legends for the last seven years.

I won't miss the drive that's for sure!
Should be interesting with Flying Saucer so close. Though beer is only half the reason that YH is so good. The food there is the shit. The food at Flying Saucer is shit.

Unread 2014-08-01, 09:23 PM   #24
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
Should be interesting with Flying Saucer so close. Though beer is only half the reason that YH is so good. The food there is the shit. The food at Flying Saucer is shit.

I need to make it in to the Flying Saucer. There have been quite a few of our former team members that have migrated there to work over the years.

One of them was in today. She bartends down there and she is super awesome. I planted the seed that maybe she should come home once we open up down there

I have not tried their food, but I do wish them the best of luck and hope there is enough to go around for all. It's a sign that we went to the right area if everyone that runs a good business is prosperous
Unread 2014-08-01, 11:46 PM   #25
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdb1fish View Post
I need to make it in to the Flying Saucer. There have been quite a few of our former team members that have migrated there to work over the years.

One of them was in today. She bartends down there and she is super awesome. I planted the seed that maybe she should come home once we open up down there

I have not tried their food, but I do wish them the best of luck and hope there is enough to go around for all. It's a sign that we went to the right area if everyone that runs a good business is prosperous
They have a good beer selection and the wait staff is knowledgeable and friendly.

The food is mediocre at best, though the hot pretzel appetizer is pretty good.

Atmosphere wise I just love Yard House way better. Then when you bring in the quality of Yard House's menu it's like a no brainer to me.