Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > Automotive Forums > Domestic Tech

Unread 2017-01-03, 08:27 AM   #1
MustangsRKool

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0
Lightbulb 02 mustang suspension

My car has about 160k miles on it and the whole suspension is still stock. I have 18" aftermarket rims and tires on it now. I want it to stance nice and have good traction around corners. Any recommendations would be appreciated, and possibly pics uploaded. Also, what is a good shop to have this done at?

Thanks, Joe
MustangsRKool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 09:29 AM   #2
JDLM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

by stance you mean slammed on the ground and the wheels cambered under the car?

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 09:54 AM   #3
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 197
Thanks (Received): 236
Likes (Given): 2379
Likes (Received): 1556
Dislikes (Given): 23
Dislikes (Received): 45

Grab a nice set of lowering springs (H&R, Eibach, etc.) and solid shocks (Bilsteins, Tokico, etc.). Replace bushings while you're in there.

Depending on what you're trying to do with the car (just street, some track, drag, etc) will change what spring rates you want to go with.

That should be a good place to get started. I would search really generic things in google and read up on mustang forums about suspension. "best mustang suspension setup" "lowering my mustang" things like that. You'll find a bunch of threads of dudes bickering about what is the best, cheapest, etc. setups I'm sure. Look for recurring themes in those threads, like if people keep bringing up that H&R springs as really good for example, and those are going to be the options you want to consider most.

I'm sure that if you buy the parts, DIY (one of the site sponsors in the ad banner up top) would be able to put them in for you.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-03, 09:59 AM   #4
MustangsRKool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
by stance you mean slammed on the ground and the wheels cambered under the car?

What I mean by this is aggressive. I don't want it cambered out so it looks like I'm running on the inside of my tires only. Sorry for the clarification.
Unread 2017-01-03, 10:01 AM   #5
MustangsRKool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Grab a nice set of lowering springs (H&R, Eibach, etc.) and solid shocks (Bilsteins, Tokico, etc.). Replace bushings while you're in there.

Depending on what you're trying to do with the car (just street, some track, drag, etc) will change what spring rates you want to go with.

That should be a good place to get started. I would search really generic things in google and read up on mustang forums about suspension. "best mustang suspension setup" "lowering my mustang" things like that. You'll find a bunch of threads of dudes bickering about what is the best, cheapest, etc. setups I'm sure. Look for recurring themes in those threads, like if people keep bringing up that H&R springs as really good for example, and those are going to be the options you want to consider most.

I'm sure that if you buy the parts, DIY (one of the site sponsors in the ad banner up top) would be able to put them in for you.
Awesome thanks! Im wanting to really do drag/a little bit of auto. I'll hit up DIY and find out what a cost would be. Thanks a lot for all the info.

Ive looked at the forums and you're right, it's just people bickering about how theirs is better.
Unread 2017-01-03, 10:48 AM   #6
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

It's always going to be like that because very few people have had multiple suspension setups, and everyone has different expectations out of their suspension.

Personally, I put Bilsteins on everything. They're a fucking amazing shock manufacturer and I have always been blown away by the ride quality and performance. Springs, I've ran a bunch of different brands, but every different car seems to have their own preferences at to what works best for that application.

Poly bushings offer better performance but they can be noisy. OEM rubber bushings offer a better ride and are quiet like OEM, but slightly worse performance. If this is your DD, I'd get OEM rubber. if it's not, poly is something to consider.
Unread 2017-01-03, 11:39 AM   #7
MustangsRKool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Personally, I put Bilsteins on everything. They're a fucking amazing shock manufacturer and I have always been blown away by the ride quality and performance. Springs, I've ran a bunch of different brands, but every different car seems to have their own preferences at to what works best for that application.

Poly bushings offer better performance but they can be noisy. OEM rubber bushings offer a better ride and are quiet like OEM, but slightly worse performance. If this is your DD, I'd get OEM rubber. if it's not, poly is something to consider.
Perfect. Just called DIY and pricing is very reasonable. Another question. Should I be doing anything else while they have it apart, like control arms? Also, are the camber plates needed if I'm going to be going down about 1.5".
Unread 2017-01-03, 11:47 AM   #8
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangsRKool View Post
Perfect. Just called DIY and pricing is very reasonable. Another question. Should I be doing anything else while they have it apart, like control arms? Also, are the camber plates needed if I'm going to be going down about 1.5".
Replace bushings, spring hats/seats, shocks, coils, at a minimum. If anything else is worn out, it should be replaced, as well (tie rods, sway bar ends, wheel bearings, etc.). Lowering a car and having the higher spring rates wears on all of these parts more than your stock suspension, so it's important it is all in good order.

I am not sure if you need aftermarket parts to adjust for camber in your application. Some cars you can dial in camber, toe with that amount of drop with the stock set up, some you can't. That would be something you should research for your specific vehicle.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-01-17, 04:48 AM   #9
privatejoker

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 17
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 265
Likes (Received): 64
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 2

At 160k your stock K member is sagging and can throw off your camber. Add in lowering spring and yes, it's a certainty that you will need cc plates. Consider getting everything, including the K member, from one company. Maximum motorsports would be a high end option.
92 mustang gt
00 Silverado 2500
privatejoker is offline   Reply With Quote