Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Home Improvement & Do-It-Yourself

Unread 2017-10-03, 10:20 AM   #1
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 39
Likes (Received): 319
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 29
Default Basement finish estimator?

Wichita, Kansas area.

Basement is a view out, roughly 800 sq ft, which is made up of a family room, bedroom, bathroom, and mechanical room.

Currently I work 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days a week so getting somebody out to estimate is tough.

Whats a rough idea for :

Plumbing -
Electric -
Framing -
Drywall -

Paint and insulation we will do ourselves.
redlobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-03, 10:40 AM   #2
BuddyLee

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 24
Thanks (Received): 257
Likes (Given): 61
Likes (Received): 1934
Dislikes (Given): 4
Dislikes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlobster View Post
Wichita, Kansas area.

Basement is a view out, roughly 800 sq ft, which is made up of a family room, bedroom, bathroom, and mechanical room.

Currently I work 6 days a week and sometimes 7 days a week so getting somebody out to estimate is tough.

Whats a rough idea for :

Plumbing -
Electric -
Framing -
Drywall -

Paint and insulation we will do ourselves.
$40-$80 a sq foot hired out.

BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-03, 10:54 AM   #3
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 20
Likes (Received): 82
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

What's your plan for flooring? Tile in bathroom or fiberglass shower? Is the in floor plumbing already in place? Do you have enough space in your main panel for 6+ more circuits?

If the basement is currently 100% unfinished I would agree with BuddyLee's estimate.
77Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-03, 10:59 AM   #4
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77Nova View Post
What's your plan for flooring? Tile in bathroom or fiberglass shower? Is the in floor plumbing already in place? Do you have enough space in your main panel for 6+ more circuits?

If the basement is currently 100% unfinished I would agree with BuddyLee's estimate.
What's your plan for flooring? Carpet
Tile in bathroom or fiberglass shower? Fiberglass shower
Is the in floor plumbing already in place? I have the square hole in concrete and a pipe next to it coming out of concrete,house was a new construction 7 years, so I am unsure.
Do you have enough space in your main panel for 6+ more circuits? Yes
Unread 2017-10-03, 11:13 AM   #5
ReidStylez
Yahh Trick Yahh!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 99
Likes (Given): 41
Likes (Received): 933
Dislikes (Given): 11
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Is the in floor plumbing already in place? I have the square hole in concrete and a pipe next to it coming out of concrete,house was a new construction 7 years, so I am unsure.
The pipe sticking up from the floor is your toilet drain and the square hole in the concrete is your shower drain.

Quote:
You most likely won't need 6+ breakers. Just depends on what you want to wire up.
Unread 2017-10-03, 12:27 PM   #6
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
What's your plan for flooring? Carpet
Tile in bathroom or fiberglass shower? Fiberglass shower
That should help with cost. I'd say the previous estimate is pretty spot on depending on how much of the work you plan on doing yourself. No interest in doing the electrical yourself? SG county will allow you to do it yourself if you study and pass the test. Once it is inspected you could probably find an electrician to do the final hook-up if you don't want to mess with the panel.

I'm not sure where you are specifically located, but myself and a few others I know have used Quality Construction for a number of projects and Jared is a stand up guy. Located in derby though..

http://www.316qualityremodel.com/index.html
Unread 2017-10-03, 12:37 PM   #7
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
That should help with cost. I'd say the previous estimate is pretty spot on depending on how much of the work you plan on doing yourself. No interest in doing the electrical yourself? SG county will allow you to do it yourself if you study and pass the test. Once it is inspected you could probably find an electrician to do the final hook-up if you don't want to mess with the panel.

I'm not sure where you are specifically located, but myself and a few others I know have used Quality Construction for a number of projects and Jared is a stand up guy. Located in derby though..

http://www.316qualityremodel.com/index.html
I actually live in Derby. I was unaware that the county would let me do it myself if i studied and passed the test.
Unread 2017-10-03, 01:03 PM   #8
BMc

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 26
Likes (Received): 102
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 1

I had mine done for $20 per SF for basic rough in plus finishes. We did a rec room but also added a full bath and closet so I could double as a nonconforming bedroom/in-law suite. It ended up being roughly $40 per SF all finished but that included swapping to a tankless WH while I was at it. Made a real nice spot to park a beer fridge in my mech closet.

Edit: I left out an important detail of this finish. We finished our basement as a play room for kids and then it could be used as something else after we sell. We went pretty cheap on lighting, paint, bathroom finishes and whatnot. We did but in a good thick carpet bad and nice carpet so it would be good and soft if a fall should happen off a couch and also can clean up stains well.

Last edited by BMc; 2017-10-04 at 11:02 AM..
BMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-03, 01:31 PM   #9
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I actually live in Derby. I was unaware that the county would let me do it myself if i studied and passed the test.
It's been a while since I spoke with the inspector, but IIRC you basically show up with your own copy of the 2014 NEC and the test is open book. I don't think you are allowed to touch the service part, but wiring up basements is allowed.

Quote:
Can I install electrical wiring in my new garage or when finishing my basement?
Yes, if you are the owner and occupant and upon completion of MABCD electrical homeowners test and plan review.
Link: http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/mabcd/...ng_permits.asp
Unread 2017-10-03, 03:12 PM   #10
redlobster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
It's been a while since I spoke with the inspector, but IIRC you basically show up with your own copy of the 2014 NEC and the test is open book. I don't think you are allowed to touch the service part, but wiring up basements is allowed.

Link: http://www.sedgwickcounty.org/mabcd/...ng_permits.asp
Cool! Thanks.
Unread 2017-10-05, 11:25 AM   #11
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 156
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 376
Likes (Received): 628
Dislikes (Received): 36

a bit off topic but I'm assuming its alright since the original question was answered... anyone had any experience with what permitting in JoCo is like? I'm just going to be framing up the basement, insulating, and doing wiring. I'm trying to figure out if a wet bar is worth the hassle or not as well but I'm thinking right now its primarily walls, ceiling, and electrical work.

I've gotten opinions that range from "better to ask for forgiveness" to "they will make you rip it out!"
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 11:46 AM   #12
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 193
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1311
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
I've gotten opinions that range from "better to ask for forgiveness" to "they will make you rip it out!"
I have always skipped the permitting and never had an issue. From how many bad DIY remodels I've seen, JoCo has let a lot slip through. I would assume that if anyone was questioned on a remodel the reply was "It was that way when I bought it."

If you permit, they will do regular inspections and make you fix whatever doesn't meet code. I doubt you would be allowed to do the electrical.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 12:29 PM   #13
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 156
Thanks (Received): 114
Likes (Given): 376
Likes (Received): 628
Dislikes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
I have always skipped the permitting and never had an issue. From how many bad DIY remodels I've seen, JoCo has let a lot slip through. I would assume that if anyone was questioned on a remodel the reply was "It was that way when I bought it."

If you permit, they will do regular inspections and make you fix whatever doesn't meet code. I doubt you would be allowed to do the electrical.
yeah, I plan on DIY'ing everything other than the concrete staining and the taping/mudding but I've got a master electrician buddy that is going to review my plans and handle the box work once I've installed it but I want to keep his name out of it in anything official since he's doing it as a favor.

ironically there is already electrical done and installed but the entire 1000 sq ft space is run on one 15a breaker switch between the outlets (~15) and the lights (~20) which seems like it might've been the builder. unsurprisingly when I turn on my dust collector and miter or table saw the lights dim a bit.
Hamilton on requiring Congressional supermajorities "...its real operation is to embarrass the administration, to destroy the energy of government, and to substitute the pleasure, caprice, or artifices of an insignificant, turbulent or corrupt junto, to the regular deliberations and decisions of a respectable majority." - Federalist No. 22
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 12:38 PM   #14
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
a bit off topic but I'm assuming its alright since the original question was answered... anyone had any experience with what permitting in JoCo is like? I'm just going to be framing up the basement, insulating, and doing wiring. I'm trying to figure out if a wet bar is worth the hassle or not as well but I'm thinking right now its primarily walls, ceiling, and electrical work.

https://www.jocogov.org/dept/plannin...rmits/building

Everything you need to know.

Quote:
A permit is required to finish or remodel a basement that involves construction of walls or installation or extension of electrical circuits, plumbing drains or vents, or ductwork.
Repair and maintenance work, such as, carpeting, painting, wall paper, receptacle replacement, fixture replacement (sinks, stools, lighting fixtures), vanities and cabinetry do not require a permit.
An owner who also occupies the residence can perform any part or all of the work. If a contractor is used for mechanical, electrical, plumbing, framing, roofing, the contractor shall hold a Johnson County Contractors License.

Last edited by 77Nova; 2017-10-05 at 12:41 PM..
Unread 2017-10-11, 07:20 PM   #15
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 803
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

The house I bought in Colorado has a partially finished basement. There's two rooms, one has carpet and could be a move in ready bedroom. I am considering looking into an egress window for this room so I can legally have a 4bd/3ba when I go to sell.

There's a rough-in bathroom with a toilet installed. All other plumbing and electrical is there. I would just need a shower kit, vanity/sink, flooring, maybe some more framing and drywall pretty much.

I'm looking forward to finishing it out in the next couple of years. Hoping it increases value well. I'm already up +$34k estimated value since closing.

I do have a 4" drop on each side of the basement though.. It's a poured floor, so not part of the foundation. Should I look into mudjacking or polyurethane filling? Or am I better off waiting a year for it to settle and just trying my luck with self-leveling concrete? I wanted to do vinyl flooring in the basement but I may just do carpet if it's a little less noticeable with levelness.
Unread 2017-10-12, 08:48 AM   #16
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
I do have a 4" drop on each side of the basement though.. It's a poured floor, so not part of the foundation. Should I look into mudjacking or polyurethane filling? Or am I better off waiting a year for it to settle and just trying my luck with self-leveling concrete? I wanted to do vinyl flooring in the basement but I may just do carpet if it's a little less noticeable with levelness.
Opposite sides or the same side but opposite corners? 4" is a lot of settling.
Unread 2017-10-13, 02:26 AM   #17
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 170
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 803
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 87

Quote:
Opposite sides or the same side but opposite corners? 4" is a lot of settling.
Opposite sides, middle seems okay. I was told this happened due to improper drainage. I put downspout extensions on in the meantime until I get the gutters replaced and rerouted. I also have an awning covering my backyard patio that I noticed is dumping water onto my lawn near the slab. Going to get that addressed here soon too.
Unread 2017-10-13, 07:50 AM   #18
77Nova

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
Opposite sides, middle seems okay. I was told this happened due to improper drainage.
Definitely a possibility that the poor drainage caused the settling. To answer you original question, everything I have read about mud jacking suggests it is more of bandaid than a permanent fix. Some have good luck but many report the problems come back after a few years.. I think it would be worth looking into though.