Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Unread 2018-06-12, 02:23 PM   #851
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 43
Thanks (Received): 136
Likes (Given): 164
Likes (Received): 765
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 26

Holy fucking shit. This is all about real estate deals for Trump. Nothing real was accomplished, we stop military exercises, and the can gets kicked down the road on Kim denuclearizing.

Quote:
At the end of their meeting, Mr. Kim pledged to destroy a missile-engine testing site, Mr. Trump told reporters, in what he characterized as a last-minute decision that was not included in the joint agreement.
“I got that after we signed the agreement,” Mr. Trump said of the concession. “I said, ‘Do me a favor; we’ve got this missile-engine testing site. We know where it is because of the heat.’ It’s incredible the equipment we have, to be honest with you.”
And did he just literally make that up? Does this scenario even sound the least bit plausible to anyone? He completely made this up to hide the fact that nothing real got accomplished on our end. I bet we never hear about this supposed site again.
Bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain
Blessed are the gluttonous; May they feast us to famine and war

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
For the word is now death
And the word is now without light
The new beatitude:
"Fuck the doomed, you're on your own"
Oblique is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-06-12, 02:33 PM   #852
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYAutoRepair View Post
He is getting rid of the new world order where the silent rich control the world. Getting rid of a world that is plagued by war, countries are robbed of their wealth by the rich and the poor are enslaved.
And replacing it with what? Your last sentence has yet to be seen and seems to be exact opposite of where this is all headed. Trump seems to be instituting his own NWO. Lead by America/China/Russia/North Korea/Israel. Do those countries sound like they fit with your fantasy?

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 02:58 PM   #853
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 25
Thanks (Received): 195
Likes (Given): 71
Likes (Received): 1348
Dislikes (Given): 1
Dislikes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
Holy fucking shit. This is all about real estate deals for Trump. Nothing real was accomplished,
Yep, it's all about building a new Trump hotel on the beaches of NK, for all those future Chinese and SK tourists.
Visit us at http://diyautorepairkc.com/
or call (913) 226-3806

Favorite car from the past (73 Pinto)
DIYAutoRepair is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-06-12, 03:07 PM   #854
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Yep, it's all about building a new Trump hotel on the beaches of NK, for all those future Chinese and SK tourists.
That and getting a "historic win", which in reality, is anything but and exactly what I predicted would happen, yet again. And I'm sure Trump mentioned real estate for no reason whatsoever. It'll all be a coincidence once buildings with his name on his start springing up there.

Quote:
Mr. Trump, who was a developer before he became president, focused on one particular economic prospect for North Korea: real estate.
“As an example, they have great beaches,” he said during a news conference after his meeting with Mr. Kim. “You see that whenever they’re exploding their cannons into the ocean. I said, ‘Boy, look at that view. Wouldn’t that make a great condo?’”
“You could have the best hotels in the world right there,” Mr. Trump continued. “Think of it from a real estate perspective. You have South Korea, you have China and they own the land in the middle. How bad is that, right? It’s great.”

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 03:45 PM   #855
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Goddammit. Trump is going to end up making a shit deal and proclaim what a great victory it is. Anyone who criticizes it will be told they are just Trump haters. Trump will defend it like it's his greatest accomplishment ever. And his supporters will eat it all up.
Quote:
I've been spot on about North Korea so far while your "side" was touting Noble Peace prize aspirations. We'll see what happens June 12th but I have a feeling nothing real will be accomplished and the can will be kicked down the road.
Quote:
Those talks better not last longer than an hour or so at a time. With those translators, Trump is sure to get restless and lose focus.

I predict we will pull everybody out of that region, including the South China Sea, and Kim will agree to some deal that is drawn out and hard to verify. That's my shot in the dark and it's about the extent of my knowledge on the technical aspects of this whole thing.
Can someone start listening to me now?

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 03:52 PM   #856
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Can someone start listening to me now?
No.

The deal isn't done yet, let's see how it plays out. These deals take some time to work through.

It's not like Trump is just going to throw a pallet of money on a plane for some fake deal and proclaim himself GOD.
or call (913) 226-3806

Unread 2018-06-12, 03:57 PM   #857
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
No.

The deal isn't done yet, let's see how it plays out. These deals take some time to work through.

It's not like Trump is just going to throw a pallet of money on a plane for some fake deal and proclaim himself GOD.
It won't "play out". It's a stall tactic. Nothing meaningful will get accomplished while continually promising something down the road. Mean while, we're stopping military exercises and inviting Kim to the White House while he continues to brutally oppress his people.

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 04:07 PM   #858
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Trump Gave Kim Jong Un A Fake Movie Trailer About North Korea Summit
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0adfb826deaa3

Quote:
SINGAPORE (Reuters) ― When President Donald Trump sat down to make the case for peace to North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un on Tuesday, he rolled out what amounted to a movie trailer starring the two leaders.

Trump said he had urged Kim and other North Korean officials to watch a four-minute video produced ahead of Tuesday’s summit in Singapore. Trump said Kim and other senior members of the North Korean delegation had huddled around an iPad to watch the video, which appeared to draw more from the hype of Hollywood than the careful language of diplomacy.

“I think he loved it,” Trump said, referring to Kim.

White House officials also arranged for the video to be played for reporters gathered for Trump’s news conference.

Trump and Kim reached a broad agreement on Tuesday that North Korea would move toward denuclearizing the Korean peninsula, while the United States committed to providing security guarantees, and suspending war games with its ally in Seoul.

The video Trump showed the North Koreans was one of several unscripted moments in a carefully planned meeting between the two leaders.

The video, which plays out in Korean and English, shows images of Trump and Kim smiling. At one point, if features a montage with babies and auto factories, suggesting what a more prosperous future for North Korea could look like if it agreed to scrap its nuclear arsenal.

To illustrate the point, ballistic missiles are shown in reverse motion, pulling back into their launch silos.

“The past doesn’t have to be the future,” a narrator says as the video showed the demilitarized zone that has separated North and South Korea since the end of the Korean War in 1953.

Then later, the narrator says, “a new world can begin today,” as an animated sequence suggests what the impoverished North Korea could look like if it was as brightly lit up at night as the far more prosperous South Korea.

At times, the video appeared to address Kim directly, suggesting he could make a choice that would open North Korea to new investment and step into a starring role in a moment in history with Trump.

“Featuring President Donald Trump and Chairman Kim Jong Un, in a meeting to remake history, to shine in the sun. One moment, one choice,” the narrator says.

The credit on the video said it had been produced by Destiny Pictures, a company based in Los Angeles. A representative of Destiny Pictures could not be immediately reached for comment

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 04:07 PM   #859
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Trump Now Sounds Like a Fan of North Korean Repression
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...epression.html

Quote:
“No regime has oppressed its own citizens more totally or brutally than the cruel dictatorship in North Korea,” declared President Trump, accurately, at his State of the Union address. Trump movingly recounted the grim plight of North Korea’s oppressed population, telling the story of Ji Seong-ho, a defector who was tortured for trying to escape.

In Singapore, his view of the situation has changed radically. He now sees Kim Jong-un as a bright young man full of promise and talent, whose only crime is perhaps failing to develop some of his country’s prime beachfront real estate.

“Anybody that takes over a situation like he did at 26 years of age and is able to run it and run it tough,” Trump said. “I don’t say he was nice or say anything about it. He ran it, few people at that age — you could take one out of 10,000 could not do it.”

The language Trump uses here is telling. He is calling Kim’s regime “tough,” which is language he reserves for praise. “Rough” and “tough” is Trumpspeak for the kinds of brutality he considers necessary. Trump urges police to be rougher. (“We’re getting them [criminals] out anyway, but we’d like to get them out a lot faster, and when you see these towns and when you see these thugs being thrown into the back of a paddy wagon, you just see them thrown in — rough, I said, please don’t be too nice.”) And he wants protesters to be treated rough. (“In the good old days this doesn’t happen because they used to treat them very, very rough. And when they protested once, they would not do it again so easily.”)

Asked at a press conference how he could praise Kim’s repression, Trump replied, “We did discuss it today, very strongly. It’s rough. It’s rough in a lot of places, by the way.” So now a country once described as the world’s most brutal dictatorship has been upgraded to the level of average, a “rough” place like many others.

Trump went so far as to claim that the the ghoulish displays of forced enthusiasm by the North Korean people represent authentic love for their dictator. Notably, Trump offered this testimonial unbidden — when asked, in an interview with George Stephanopoulos, about a completely different subject:

Q: What other kinds of security guarantees did you offer, did you put on the table?

Trump: Well, we’ve given him — I don’t wanna talk about it specifically, but we’ve given him — he’s going to be happy. His country does love him. His people, you see the fervor. They have a great fervor.

If you fail to demonstrate a sufficient level of public fervor for the Kim family, you are at risk of being imprisoned, tortured, or killed.

International relations often require making deals with evil regimes. But it doesn’t require actually endorsing the internal character of those regimes. American presidents can still speak out about human-rights abuses, or hold their tongues strategically. Republicans used to fetishize the willingness of their leaders to boldly stand tall to the world’s dictators, imagining that the correct combination of inspirational rhetoric would eventually tear down the gulags by sheer force of oratory. Indeed, they lavished praise on Trump for this very thing as recently as a few months ago. It is telling that he can reverse himself so easily and completely as to now stand as the world’s most prominent North Korean apologist.
If you can't see the problems with this, I have no words.

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 04:12 PM   #860
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rtDltJC1-w

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-12, 05:55 PM   #861
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 173
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 812
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 90

What a bizarro time we live in.
Unread 2018-06-13, 09:00 AM   #862
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

After summit, Kim Jong Un basks in the glory

PYONGYANG, North Korea -- The series of photos on the front page of the ruling workers' party newspaper showed something North Koreans never would have imagined just months ago -- their leader Kim Jong Un warmly shaking hands with President Donald Trump. The priority treatment of what even Pyongyang is calling the "historic" meeting between Kim and Mr. Trump in Singapore underscores just how much of a propaganda coup the North saw in Tuesday's unprecedented summit.

CBS News correspondent Seth Doane says the pictures on the front page of the North Korean newspaper are exactly what the regime wanted its people to see; Kim looking like a respected world leader -- not a brutal dictator from a poor and isolated country.

Dubbing it the start of a new relationship between their countries, which are still technically at war, Pyongyang's first reports Wednesday stressed to the North Korean people that Mr. Trump agreed at Kim's demand to halt joint military exercises with South Korea as long as talks toward easing tensions continue and suggested that Mr. Trump also said he would lift sanctions as negations progressed.

The joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises have taken place for decades. Tracy says they have been designed to keep the more than 28,000 American troops stationed in the South prepared for combat. But after his meeting with Kim, President Trump called them "provocative… war games" -- the very same language the North Koreans use to describe the drills in their anti-U.S. propaganda.

"President Trump appreciated that an atmosphere of peace and stability was created on the Korean Peninsula and in the region, although distressed with the extreme danger of armed clash only a few months ago, thanks to the proactive peace-loving measures taken by the respected Supreme Leader from the outset of this year," said a summary of the leaders' summit by the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency.

The summit capped a swift and astonishing turn of events that began on New Year's Day with a pledge by Kim to reach out to the world now that his nuclear forces have been completed. His focus on diplomacy, including earlier meetings with the leaders of China and South Korea, is a sharp contrast with his rapid-fire testing of long-range missiles and the fiery exchanges of threats and insults last year that created real fears of a war on the Korean Peninsula.

Kim has framed the switch as a natural next step now that he has what he stresses is a credible and viable nuclear arsenal capable of keeping the U.S. at bay. The framing that he went into the summit as an equal and from a position of strength is crucial within North Korea, after enduring years of tough sanctions while it pursued its nuclear ambitions.
Kim's vows to denuclearize were reported by state media Wednesday within that context -- that Pyongyang would respond to easing of what it sees as the U.S. hostile policy against it with commensurate but gradual moves toward "the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
"Kim Jong Un and Trump had the shared recognition to the effect that it is important to abide by the principle of step-by-step and simultaneous action in achieving peace, stability and denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," KCNA reported.

That doesn't seem to pin the North down to the concrete and unilateral measures Trump said he would demand going into the talks and it remains to be seen what significant changes could occur now that they seem to be moving toward more peaceful relations. Both sides promised to push the process forward quickly, and Mr. Trump and Kim exchanged invitations to each other to visit their nations' capitals.

Interestingly, the North made no secret of China's behind-the-scenes presence at the summit. A flurry of media coverage the day Kim arrived in Singapore showed him waving from the door of the specially chartered Air China flight that brought him from Pyongyang.

That is another key to what lies ahead.
Kim's biggest task in the months ahead will most likely be to try to push China, his country's key trading partner, to lift its sanctions and to entice South Korea to start once again offering crucial investment in joint ventures and infrastructure projects.

In the meantime, however, the North appears to be basking in it leader's new found status as the most popular kid on the block.

"Singapore, the country of the epoch-making meeting much awaited by the whole world, was awash with thousands of domestic and foreign journalists and a large crowd of masses to see this day's moment which will remain long in history," KCNA noted. -- The series of photos on the front page of the ruling workers' party newspaper showed something North Koreans never would have imagined just months ago -- their leader Kim Jong Un warmly shaking hands with President Donald Trump. The priority treatment of what even Pyongyang is calling the "historic" meeting between Kim and Mr. Trump in Singapore underscores just how much of a propaganda coup the North saw in Tuesday's unprecedented summit.

Dubbing it the start of a new relationship between their countries, which are still technically at war, Pyongyang's first reports Wednesday stressed to the North Korean people that Mr. Trump agreed at Kim's demand to halt joint military exercises with South Korea as long as talks toward easing tensions continue and suggested that Mr. Trump also said he would lift sanctions as negations progressed.

"President Trump appreciated that an atmosphere of peace and stability was created on the Korean Peninsula and in the region, although distressed with the extreme danger of armed clash only a few months ago, thanks to the proactive peace-loving measures taken by the respected Supreme Leader from the outset of this year," said a summary of the leaders' summit by the North's state-run Korean Central News Agency.

The summit capped a swift and astonishing turn of events that began on New Year's Day with a pledge by Kim to reach out to the world now that his nuclear forces have been completed. His focus on diplomacy, including earlier meetings with the leaders of China and South Korea, is a sharp contrast with his rapid-fire testing of long-range missiles and the fiery exchanges of threats and insults last year that created real fears of a war on the Korean
Peninsula.

Kim has framed the switch as a natural next step now that he has what he stresses is a credible and viable nuclear arsenal capable of keeping the U.S. at bay. The framing that he went into the summit as an equal and from a position of strength is crucial within North Korea, after enduring years of tough sanctions while it pursued its nuclear ambitions.
Kim's vows to denuclearize were reported by state media Wednesday within that context -- that Pyongyang would respond to easing of what it sees as the U.S. hostile policy against it with commensurate but gradual moves toward "the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula."
"Kim Jong Un and Trump had the shared recognition to the effect that it is important to abide by the principle of step-by-step and simultaneous action in achieving peace, stability and denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula," KCNA reported.

That doesn't seem to pin the North down to the concrete and unilateral measures Trump said he would demand going into the talks and it remains to be seen what significant changes could occur now that they seem to be moving toward more peaceful relations. Both sides promised to push the process forward quickly, and Mr. Trump and Kim exchanged invitations to each other to visit their nations' capitals.

Interestingly, the North made no secret of China's behind-the-scenes presence at the summit. A flurry of media coverage the day Kim arrived in Singapore showed him waving from the door of the specially chartered Air China flight that brought him from Pyongyang.

That is another key to what lies ahead.
Kim's biggest task in the months ahead will most likely be to try to push China, his country's key trading partner, to lift its sanctions and to entice South Korea to start once again offering crucial investment in joint ventures and infrastructure projects.

In the meantime, however, the North appears to be basking in it leader's new found status as the most popular kid on the block.

"Singapore, the country of the epoch-making meeting much awaited by the whole world, was awash with thousands of domestic and foreign journalists and a large crowd of masses to see this day's moment which will remain long in history," KCNA noted.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-06-13, 09:04 AM   #863
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Donald Trump has agreed to lift sanctions on North Korea, claims nation’s state media

Donald Trump agreed to lift sanctions against North Korea along with providing it with security guarantees, the nation’s state news agency has claimed.

The Korean Central News Agency (KCNA), which also reported Kim Jong-un had accepted an invitation to visit the White House, said Mr Trump had indicated he would lift sanctions along with ending military exercises with South Korea.

There was no independent confirmation of the claim and no immediate comment from the White House. On Tuesday, while Mr Trump had indicated he wanted to end “very provocative” war games, he said that sanctions would remain in place to exert “tremendous pressure”.

The Wall Street Journal said the North Korean report quoted Mr Trump as crediting Mr Kim’s “proactive peace-loving measures” for having created the atmosphere of peace this year. It also suggested Mr Trump had adopted North Korea’s preferred phased approach towards any denuclearisation process, saying the two men had agreed to the “principle of step-by-step and simultaneous action”.
The White House did not immediately respond to queries about the report on Wednesday. Mr Trump did not make any mention of sanctions as he posted a series of tweets as he flew back to Washington via Hawaii, praising the talks and scoffing at those who had said such a meeting could not take place.

“The world has taken a big step back from potential nuclear catastrophe! No more rocket launches, nuclear testing or research! The hostages are back home with their families. Thank you to Chairman Kim, our day together was historic,” he said in one tweet.

In another, he added: “A year ago the pundits & talking heads, people that couldn’t do the job before, were begging for conciliation and peace – “please meet, don’t go to war.” Now that we meet and have a great relationship with Kim Jong Un, the same haters shout out, “you shouldn’t meet, do not meet!”

KCNA said Mr Trump also expressed his intention to offer security guarantees to North Korea and lift sanctions “over a period of good-will dialogue” between the two countries. It said Mr Kim had said the North could take unspecified “additional good-will measures of next stage commensurate with them” if the US takes genuine measures to build trust.
It quoted Mr Kim as saying: “It’s urgent to make a bold decision on halting irritating and hostile military actions against each other.”

Quote:

A year ago the pundits & talking heads, people that couldn’t do the job before, were begging for conciliation and peace - “please meet, don’t go to war.” Now that we meet and have a great relationship with Kim Jong Un, the same haters shout out, “you shouldn’t meet, do not meet!”
8:14 PM - Jun 12, 2018
On Tuesday, Mr Trump had been asked about whether he planned to lift sanctions against Pyongyang.

“The sanctions will come off when we are sure that the nukes are no longer a factor. Sanctions played a big role, but they’ll come off at that point,” he said. “I hope it’s going to be soon, but they’ll come off. As you know, and as I’ve said, the sanctions right now remain. But at a certain point, I actually look forward to taking them off.”

Mr Trump said he had decided not to press ahead to impose 300 new proposed sanctions as it would be “disrespectful” to do so while preparing for the summit. Yet he said he would not lift sanctions that existed unless there was a significant improvement in regard to North Korea’s notorious human rights record.

“No. I want significant improvement. I want to know that it won’t be happening. And again, once you start that process, there will be a point at which, even though you won’t be finished for a while because it can’t happen scientifically or mechanically, but you’re not going to be able to go back. You know, once we reach that point, I’ll start to give that very serious thought,” he said.

He said he believed that 34-year-old Mr Kim, whom he described as a “strong” leader, said he would live up to the agreement they signed to work towards denuclearisation on the Korean peninsula. He said the summit marked a “great moment in the history of the world”.

The agreement with North Korea did not currently envision removing the 28,500 US troops stationed in South Korea. However, Mr Trump said he favoured a long-term plan to reduce US troop numbers from South Korea and said the US “will be stopping the war games”, a major concession that was seized on by critics of the president.

Mr Trump was also criticised for failing to make human rights in North Korea a central part of his negotiations. Mr Trump had said they had been raised, but not in great detail.

“While we welcome news that President Trump raised human rights at the summit, Amnesty International urges the US government to continue to push for urgent reforms in North Korea,” said Francisco Bencosme of Amnesty International USA. “Human rights should not be a footnote in any engagement with Kim Jong-un, but rather a crucial component in negotiations between the two countries.”

He added: “There are no “great winners” when North Korea continues to commit systemic, widespread, and grave violations of human rights, some of which may amount to crimes against humanity. It must close its prison camps, where up to 120,000 people continue to be held, protect freedom of expression, and reunite families separated through displacement during the war, forced disappearances, or abductions.”

Campaigners working for denuclearisation said Mr Trump’s meeting with Mr Kim had been a start, but that more work needed to be done.

Christine Ahn, the founder of Women Cross DMZ, who was in South Korea recently to lead a women’s peace delegation, said: “Although the document signed by Trump and Kim is thin, it is bold in its direction of re-orienting relations between historic adversaries.”

She added: “The fact that the first two points start with a commitment to establish new relations and to build a lasting peace on the Korean peninsula demonstrates Trump’s pragmatism and understanding that peace and security assurances are paramount to North Korea’s concerns and pursuit of nuclear weapons.”

Unread 2018-06-13, 09:56 AM   #864
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy Dennis Rodman is saying I wanted to go to North Korea with him. Never discussed, no interest, last place on Earth I want to go to.
6:34 PM - 7 May 2014

Never make a concession during negotiations that could lead to more demands. Be prudent. It's best to have your concessions predetermined
7:49 AM - 2 May 2014

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-13, 10:04 AM   #865
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Lingering questions from the Trump-Kim summit

The summit between Donald Trump and Kim Jong Un undeniably deserved the overused epithet "historic."
Hopes for peace were palpable as they radiated out of Singapore. Given the real fears just six months ago that the US and North Korea were heading for a horrendous war amid Trump's "fire and fury" rhetoric and Kim's nuclear tests, that is a significant achievement in itself.

But the almost dreamlike encounter between the President of the United States and the supreme leader of the world's most repressive state ended with mounting questions about what actually had been achieved, who had won most, and what will happen next.

Did the show-stopping moment give Trump a win?

Trump and Kim both got what they wanted from a propaganda bonanza punctuated by multiple photo-ops that will help cement the political legitimacy of both men in their vastly different contexts back home.

It might have been the reality star-turned-President's most spectacular made-for-television event yet, as the globe tuned in to see him pull off an improbable feat in luring the leader of North Korea out of the cold for a summit than none of his predecessors ever attempted.

Characteristically, Trump cited Kim's praise of his efforts.
"He said, 'we have never gone this far.' I don't think they've ever had the confidence, frankly, in a president that they have right now for getting things done and having the ability to get things done," Trump said.

The White House is likely to use the summit to frame Trump as a daring peacemaker as he heads into troublesome midterm elections. And the carnival atmosphere in Singapore might also keep Robert Mueller's special counsel investigation out of the headlines for a few more days.

Can Kim claim victory, too?

For Kim, the spectacle was almost the entire point of the summit.

He accepted the ultimate affirmation for his dynastic rule by meeting a US President who gushed that he was "a very talented man." His two days in the spotlight will solidify his developing image as an increasingly dexterous regional statesman -- a status no North Korean leader has ever enjoyed.

In a walkabout below the soaring, gleaming Singapore skyline, the ruthless dictator was treated like a celebrity, in scenes that along with Trump's embrace are sure to be used by Pyongyang's official media for years in films and murals designed to puff up Kim's personality cult.

Trump even gave him a tour of his personal "Beast" armored limousine.

The summit could also create a hopeful atmosphere that could make China and other nations less inclined to enforce the rigid economic sanctions that have led to the success of Trump's "maximum pressure" campaign that got Kim to the table.

What did Trump actually get and what did he give up?
The President made the case that he had forged an instant brotherhood with Kim that will uniquely position him to preside over the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula.

"He trusts me, I believe, I really do," Trump said in an interview with ABC News. "I think he trusts me, and I trust him."

If this meeting sparks a diplomatic process that ends the North Korean nuclear threat, and heals one of the oldest open diplomatic sores in history, it will deserve a place in the pantheon of summits involving presidents like Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

And Trump will deserve credit for an astute use of presidential power, a willingness to take risks and might even get the Nobel Peace Prize that even his enemies should not begrudge him.

But those wins seem as distant as ever after the summit.
"It seems to me that Donald Trump made a lot of concessions and got very little in return," said historian and CNN national security and defense analyst Max Boot.

The joint declaration issued by the two sides after the summit did not appear to make any significant progress in committing the North Koreans to the complete, irreversible and verifiable dismantling of Pyongyang's nuclear arsenal that the administration wants.

It included a tepid commitment from the North Koreans to "work toward the complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula" and for follow-up talks led from the US side by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

The use of the word "reaffirmed" in the declaration served to highlight the lack of fresh commitments and it did not include a pledge by North Korea for an accounting of its missile and nuclear programs that many analysts saw before the summit as a test of its success.

What does denuclearization actually mean?

There also was no sign that the two sides had narrowed the contradiction in their positions about what denuclearization actually means.

The US says it's self-explanatory -- Pyongyang must get rid of its nukes. But the North Koreans define the concept as the disappearance of America's nuclear umbrella that protects South Korea.

The summit statement also appeared to fall short of previous declarations by the United States and North Korea, inked under the regimes of Kim's grandfather Kim Il Sung and father Kim Jong Il. And now North Korea is believed to have a nuclear arsenal of 20-60 weapons and is close to putting a device atop an intercontinental ballistic missile that could hit the United States.

"Unfortunately, it is still unclear whether the two sides are on the same page about definitions and the pace, and the sequencing of many steps involved in the complete denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," said Daryl Kimball, executive director of the Arms Control Association.
The President did reveal that Kim told him he had already destroyed a major missile engine site -- though it was not clear how significant this step was or how it could be verified.

And amid some consternation among even his fellow Republicans that he has given too much away, Trump promised to be vigilant.

"Our eyes are wide open, but peace is always worth the effort, especially in this case," Trump said.

What happens now with US troops?
Kim came away with an unexpected gift, after Trump shocked his allies in Seoul and his own military by calling a halt to joint US-South Korean military exercises about which Pyongyang has long fumed.

Trump called the exercises "provocative" -- adopting North Korea's own rhetoric and said canceling them for as long as dialogue was working out would save a lot of money.

His offer will reinforce worries in Congress that the President, who has long disputed the value of US garrisons abroad, is preparing to put the presence of thousands of US troops on the negotiating table. And it will delight China, which is seeking to overtake the United States as the premier military power in the Asia Pacific region.

What about human rights and coddling dictators?
There was something almost chilling in seeing the President fete Kim in front of a backdrop of US and North Korean flags.

After all, Kim presides over the world's most oppressive state, with a record of enslaving and starving his people, and was responsible for the death of a US prisoner Otto Warmbier last year.

The meeting also represented a stunning about face for traditional US foreign policy.

Two days before Trump told the world that Kim "loves his country very much," he blasted America's oldest allies after an acrimonious G7 summit and one of his top advisers warned there was "a special place in hell" reserved for Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

That juxtaposition reflected the way Trump often chides America's oldest friends, but seems comfortable in the company of authoritarians like Kim, Russian President Vladimir Putin and China's President Xi Jinping.

In some senses, Trump was right that only he could have engineered the summit.

This moment in history may have been tailor-made for a US president ready to downplay America's traditional concerns about human rights, and who is willing to dine with Kim to remove a grave military threat.

But critics will still accuse Trump of appeasing a ruthless dictator.

What's next?
What happens in the coming months will decide whether the summit comes to be seen as a true breakthrough moment or a low point of American diplomacy.

It will now be up to Pompeo to conduct the kind of exhaustive talks in pursuit of a nuclear arms reduction accord that ironically was the main job of his predecessor John Kerry, who spent years chasing the Iran deal from which Trump withdrew.

Trump insisted in Singapore that North Korea was serious about its willingness to give up its nuclear weapons. Everything will now depend on whether Kim has made that strategic choice in the hope of transforming his primitive economy.

But there is still no evidence that Pyongyang has dropped its habitual practice of demanding concessions in a drawn out negotiating process that always leaves its weapons programs intact.

Unread 2018-06-13, 10:19 AM   #866
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/12/w...uth-korea.html

Quote:
Pentagon and Seoul Surprised by Trump Pledge to Halt Military Exercises

WASHINGTON — President Trump’s pledge on Tuesday to cancel military exercises on the Korean Peninsula surprised not only allies in South Korea but also the Pentagon.

Hours after Mr. Trump’s announcement in Singapore, American troops in Seoul said they are still moving ahead with a military exercise this fall — Ulchi Freedom Guardian — until they receive guidance otherwise from the chain of command.

Lt. Col. Jennifer Lovett, a United States military spokeswoman in South Korea, said in an email that the American command there “has received no updated guidance on execution or cessation of training exercises — to include this fall’s schedule Ulchi Freedom Guardian.”

“We will continue with our current military posture until we receive updated guidance from the Department of Defense,” she added.

In Washington, officials at the Pentagon, State Department and White House were scrambling to figure out exactly the impact of Mr. Trump’s comments.

“The Department of Defense continues to work with the White House, the interagency, and our allies and partners on the way forward,” Lt. Col. Christopher Logan, a Pentagon spokesman, said in an email. “We will provide additional information as it becomes available.”

In Seoul, President Moon Jae-in of South Korea hailed Mr. Trump’s summit meeting with the North Korean leader, Kim Jong-un. Mr. Moon called the joint statement that was released after the meeting “a historic event that has helped break down the last remaining Cold War legacy on earth.”

But Mr. Trump’s promise to end joint military exercises with Seoul left many South Koreans stunned. The annual exercises have been an integral part of the alliance, forming the bulwark of South Korea’s defense against North Korea and Seoul’s sense of security among bigger powers in the region.

Ulchi Freedom Guardian is one of the largest military exercises in the world. The war games, which last year ran for 11 days, have involved some 17,500 American forces, including about 3,000 from outside the peninsula, and 50,000 South Korean troops. The exercises include computer simulations carried out in a large bunker south of Seoul intended to check the allies’ readiness to repel aggressions by North Korea.

Mr. Trump’s announcement raised fears in the South Korean capital that Washington was making concessions too fast, before North Korea has dismantled its nuclear weapons.

The South Korean Defense Ministry hurriedly issued a curt statement saying that it was trying to figure out Mr. Trump’s intentions.

American officials said the military exercises are important because the allies use them to ensure readiness and promote the ability to operate with similar equipment and tactics. On a strategic level, they demonstrate the strength of the decades-long alliance with South Korea.

“On the face of it, seems like a pretty big concession,” said Brian McKeon, who was a senior Pentagon official during the Obama administration.

Mr. McKeon added that it was unclear whether Mr. Trump’s order applies only to major war games like Ulchi Freedom Guardian, or a series of other smaller, but important, training maneuvers. “It would definitely impact readiness” of both American and South Korean forces, he said.

The president’s statement also confused officials in Washington. While “war games” would be canceled, Vice President Mike Pence assured Republican senators that routine military exercises involving American and South Korean troops would continue, said Senator Cory Gardner, Republican of Colorado.

“@VP was very clear: regular readiness training and training exchanges will continue,” Mr. Gardner said in a Twitter post.

In a Tuesday news conference in Singapore, before heading back to Washington, Mr. Trump focused on the potential cost savings of ending major exercises, which he said were “tremendously expensive” to conduct.

“We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money,” the president said, also criticizing South Korea for not defraying more of the costs. “We have to talk to them. We have to talk to many countries about treating us fairly.”

Mr. Trump singled out long-range bombers, like B-52s and B-1s, that routinely fly in exercises near the Korean Peninsula.

“We fly in bombers from Guam,” Mr. Trump said. “I said it when I first started, I said, ‘Where do the bombers come from? Guam. Nearby.’ I said ‘Oh great, nearby, where is nearby?’ Six and a half hours. Six and a half hours. That’s a long time for these big massive planes to be flying to South Korea to practice and then drop bombs all over the place and then go back to Guam.”

“I know a lot about airplanes,” Mr. Trump added. “It’s very expensive. I didn’t like it. What I did say is and I think it is very provocative.”

Kathleen Hicks, another former senior Pentagon official in the Obama administration, said that Mr. Trump’s cost argument was misleading since any savings would likely decrease combat readiness.

“It is true that if you don’t choose to ready your force, you can cut costs,” she said on Tuesday. “But the administration should be acknowledging that it is in fact a readiness decrement.”

Senator Lindsey Graham, the Republican of South Carolina who speaks to Mr. Trump regularly, played down the impact of halting any exercises. But he strongly cautioned against another proposal Mr. Trump has been weighing: reducing the 28,500 American troops now stationed on the Korean Peninsula.

“I don’t think canceling a war game is going to matter over the arc of time,” Mr. Graham said on NBC’s “Today” program.

“The one thing that I would violently disagree with is removing our troops,” he said. “I can’t imagine I would vote for any agreement that requires us to withdraw our forces because that would destabilize Asia. That’s what China wants. That doesn’t make the world more peaceful, it makes it more dangerous.”
What a fucking joke this whole thing is. Trump just decides to make this concession all on his own without telling anyone? Are we really suppose to just accept that? If this would have been a democrat, I can't imagine the outrage from the right at this point. This is being entirely glossed over like it's not completely obvious what just happened. Any Trump supporters going to have some balls and integrity and defend their president or admonish him? Or are you all going to hide like cowards because you know this is indefensible?

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-13, 10:44 AM   #867
phreakdna

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 160
Thanks (Received): 116
Likes (Given): 398
Likes (Received): 632
Dislikes (Received): 36

I'm just confused by this idea that Trump got anything other than a photo op...

the North Koreans got multiple prizes they've been wanting for 50 years (a pledge to end the joint military exercises, a public sitdown with the US President, and they got the US President to fly around the world to their backyard while the media naturally followed) and as a bonus they got a US-made North Korea propaganda video for basically agreeing to nothing.

what exactly are we supposed to have gotten for trading in two significant chips?

its almost like the intentionally unprepared "master negotiator" doesn't actually understand that he's giving away the house without getting anything concrete in return...
Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that ”all men are created equal.” We now practically read it “all men are created equal, except negroes” When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read “all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.” When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocricy. - Lincoln
phreakdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-06-13, 11:11 AM   #868
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by phreakdna View Post
I'm just confused by this idea that Trump got anything other than a photo op...

the North Koreans got multiple prizes they've been wanting for 50 years (a pledge to end the joint military exercises, a public sitdown with the US President, and they got the US President to fly around the world to their backyard while the media naturally followed) and as a bonus they got a US-made North Korea propaganda video for basically agreeing to nothing.

what exactly are we supposed to have gotten for trading in two significant chips?

its almost like the intentionally unprepared "master negotiator" doesn't actually understand that he's giving away the house without getting anything concrete in return...
You should take a look at pro Trump forums. They think we're the delusional ones and they keep proclaiming that the MSM is the real enemy of the US for pointing out the reality of this summit. Even conservatives are coming out and saying the summit was shit. These Trump supporters are DANGEROUSLY delusional. The more truth that gets thrown in their faces, the more they retreat into delusional land. They hate anyone who tries to ruin the fantasy they live in. This is not fun and games. This is their entire reality and identity at stake here. Trump is going to attempt to completely take over the government and these people are going to help him. The IG report will be a key factor in what happens next. If we squeak past that one, then the midterms will be the next timebomb with accusations of election rigging from both sides surely to occur. If the Democrats gain significant numbers, Trump and his supporters are going to be in full panic mode and that is fucking scary for the country. I mean, look at the level of delusion we're dealing with here that his supporters just eat up with no question whatsoever.

Quote:
Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!
2:56 AM - 13 Jun 2018

Before taking office people were assuming that we were going to War with North Korea. President Obama said that North Korea was our biggest and most dangerous problem. No longer - sleep well tonight!
3:01 AM - 13 Jun 2018

We save a fortune by not doing war games, as long as we are negotiating in good faith - which both sides are!
4:10 AM - 13 Jun 2018

So funny to watch the Fake News, especially NBC and CNN. They are fighting hard to downplay the deal with North Korea. 500 days ago they would have “begged” for this deal-looked like war would break out. Our Country’s biggest enemy is the Fake News so easily promulgated by fools!
6:30 AM - 13 Jun 2018
No Trump, YOUR biggest enemy is the news. Because they threaten to expose you for what you are and you are absolutely terrified of that. See, these conservative Trump supporter types like to equate themselves to America. As if they themselves are America. White conservative Christian American. It's their entire identity. They're the only "real" Americans. So anything that threatens that identity is automatically the enemy. Liberals, Muslims, blacks, Mexicans. They all threaten their identity as the dominant social hierarchy in America and since they see themselves as America, these groups are then seen as threats to America itself. When in reality, they are just threats to them and their perceived social status because without it, they're pathetic piece of shit losers and they don't have to face that fact if they have someone they can look down on. They're scared, ignorant little children, mad at the world because of some perceived slight and Trump is their hero. Those mean liberal elites keep telling them how stupid they are so they lashed out like stupid little children do and flipped the board over. They will never let go of him, they will die to protect this reality that's been created. It was literally made just for them and it was done so purposefully.

There is a very relevant LBJ quote in regards for their need to perceive themselves as the top of the social hierarchy.

Quote:
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."
Trump has given them the world to look down upon.

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-13, 11:35 AM   #869
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Trump sees ‘new future’ for North Korea, but path unclear

North Korea leader Kim Jong Un and U.S. President Donald Trump prepare to sign a document at the Capella resort on Sentosa Island Tuesday, June 12, 2018 in Singapore. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

SINGAPORE (AP) — President Donald Trump wrapped up his five-hour nuclear summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un with surprisingly warm words and hope for “a bright new future” for Kim’s isolated and impoverished nation. Yet he immediately faced pointed questions at home about whether he got little and gave away much in his push to make a deal with the young autocrat — including an agreement to halt U.S. military exercises with South Korea.
Meeting with staged ceremony on a Singapore island, Trump and Kim signed a joint statement Tuesday agreeing to work toward a denuclearized Korean Peninsula, although the timeline and tactics were left unclear. Trump later promised to end “war games,” with ally South Korea, a concession to Kim that appeared to catch the Pentagon and Seoul government off guard and sowed confusion among Trump’s Republican supporters in Washington.
The head-scratching was a fitting end for a meeting marked by unpredictability. The face to face was unthinkable just months earlier as the two leaders traded insults and nuclear threats. In agreeing to the summit, Trump risked granting Kim his long-sought recognition on the world stage in hopes of ending the North’s nuclear program.

While progress on the nuclear question was murky, the leaders spent the public portions of their five hours together expressing optimism and making a show of their new relationship. Trump declared he and Kim had developed “a very special bond.” He gave Kim a glimpse of the presidential limousine. Kim, for his part, said the leaders had “decided to leave the past behind” and promised, “The world will see a major change.”
Soon, Kim departed the venue, while a clearly ebullient Trump held forth for more than an hour before the press on what he styled as a historic achievement to avert the prospect of nuclear war. Before leaving himself, Trump tossed out pronouncements on U.S. alliances, human rights and the nature of the accord that he and Kim had signed.
The details of how and when the North would denuclearize appear yet to be determined, as are the nature of the unspecified “protections” Trump is pledging to Kim and his government.
As Trump acknowledged that denuclearization would not be accomplished overnight, the North suggested Wednesday that Trump had moved away from his demand for complete denuclearization before U.S. sanctions on the long-isolated country are removed.
The state-run Korean Central News Agency said the two leaders “shared recognition to the effect that it is important to abide by the principle of step-by-step and simultaneous action in achieving peace, stability and denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.” KCNA also reported that Trump had expressed his intention to lift sanctions “over a period of good-will dialogue” between the two countries.
The White House did not immediately respond to the North Korean characterization of the deal.
The Singapore accord largely amounts to an agreement to continue discussions, echoing previous public statements and commitments. It does not, for instance, include an agreement to take steps toward ending the technical state of warfare between the U.S. and North Korea.
Nor does it detail plans for North Korea to demolish a missile engine testing site, a concession Trump said he’d won, or Trump’s promise to end military exercises in the South while negotiations between the U.S. and the North continue. Trump cast that decision as a cost-saving measure, but also called the exercises “inappropriate” while talks continue. North Korea has long objected to the drills as a security threat.
It was unclear whether South Korea was aware of Trump’s decision before he announced it publicly. U.S. Forces Korea said it was unaware of any policy change. Trump phoned South Korean President Moon Jae-in after leaving Singapore to brief him on the discussions. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew to Seoul Wednesday for follow-up meetings.
The U.S. has stationed combat troops in South Korea since the end of the Korean War in the 1950s and has used them in a variety of drills. The next scheduled major exercise, involving tens of thousands of troops, normally is held in August.
The Pentagon said Tuesday it was consulting with the White House and others, but was silent on whether the August exercise would proceed. Mattis’ chief spokeswoman, Dana W. White, told reporters he was “in full alignment” with Trump.
Lawmakers, too, were looking for details. Republicans emerged from a meeting with Vice President Mike Pence wanting more information on which exercises were on hold. Colorado Sen. Corey Gardner said Pence told them that small-scale exercises would continue, but “war games will not.” Pence’s spokeswoman later denied that comment.
“There will be certain exercises that will continue.” Gardner told AP, adding he hoped “there’s further clarification what that means.”
North Korea is believed to possess more than 50 nuclear warheads, with its atomic program spread across more than 100 sites constructed over decades to evade international inspections. Trump insisted that strong verification of denuclearization would be included in a final agreement, saying it was a detail his team would begin sorting out with the North Koreans next week.
The agreement’s language on North Korea’s nuclear program was similar to what the leaders of North and South Korea came up with at their own summit in April. Trump and Kim referred back to the so-called Panmunjom Declaration, which contained a weak commitment to denuclearization but no specifics on how to achieve it.
The document also included an agreement to work to repatriate remains of prisoners of war and those missing in action from the Korean War.
But Tuesday’s summit was as much about theatrics as the details of a deal.
The U.S. president brushed off questions about his public embrace of the autocrat whose people have been oppressed for decades. He did say that Otto Warmbier, an American university student who died last year just days after his release from imprisonment in North Korea, “did not die in vain” because his death helped bring about the nuclear talks.
In the run-up to his face-to-face with Kim, Trump had appeared unconcerned about the implications of feting an authoritarian leader accused by the U.S. of ordering the public assassination of his half brother with a nerve agent, executing his uncle by firing squad and presiding over a notorious gulag estimated to hold 80,000 to 120,000 political prisoners.
In their joint statement, the two leaders promised to “build a lasting and stable peace regime” on the Korean Peninsula. Trump has dangled the prospect of economic investment in the North as a sweetener for giving up its nuclear weapons. The longtime property developer-turned-politician later mused about the potential value of condos on the country’s beachfront real estate.
Ahead of the summit, Trump had predicted the two men might strike a nuclear deal or forge a formal end to the Korean War in the course of a single meeting or over several days. But in the hours before they met, the White House unexpectedly announced Trump would depart earlier than expected.
Aware that the eyes of the world were on a moment many people never expected to see, Kim said many of those watching would think it was a scene from a “science fiction movie.”
Critics of the summit leapt at the leaders’ handshake and Kim’s moonlight stroll along the glittering Singapore waterfront as further evidence that Trump was helping legitimize Kim on the world stage.
“It’s a huge win for Kim Jong Un, who now — if nothing else — has the prestige and propaganda coup of meeting one on one with the president, while armed with a nuclear deterrent,” said Michael Kovrig, a northeast Asia specialist at the International Crisis Group in Washington.
Trump responded that he was embracing diplomacy with Kim in hopes of saving as many as 30 million lives.
The North has faced crippling diplomatic and economic sanctions for years as it has advanced development of its nuclear and ballistic missile programs. Pompeo held firm to Trump’s position that sanctions will remain in place until North Korea denuclearizes — and said they would even increase if diplomatic discussions did not progress positively.

Unread 2018-06-13, 12:42 PM   #870
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Here is another rare moment of Trump showing you who he really is. How about we all take his word for it this time.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1bJONRk350

Quote:
“Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong,” Trump said. “I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘hey, I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll admit that but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”
And the room laughs like this is some kind of joke.

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-13, 01:35 PM   #871
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
“Honestly, I think he’s going to do these things. I may be wrong,” Trump said. “I may stand before you in six months and say, ‘hey, I was wrong.’ I don’t know that I’ll admit that but I’ll find some kind of an excuse.”
OMG a politician that says he might politicize and answer. That is a first, I have never know a politician to do that.

Remember you can keep your doctor; premiums will be lower, read my lips "no new taxes", "I did not have sex with that woman."

Come back here when you have something interesting.
or call (913) 226-3806

Unread 2018-06-13, 02:15 PM   #872
Oblique

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
OMG a politician that says he might politicize and answer. That is a first, I have never know a politician to do that.

Remember you can keep your doctor; premiums will be lower, read my lips "no new taxes", "I did not have sex with that woman."

Come back here when you have something interesting.
But I thought that's what made Trump different? He's not a politician. He's a straight shooter who tells it like it is. Are we moving the goal posts again for the 100th time? You know, for how much you seem to hate Obama, you sure do use him to justify Trump's actions a lot. "If Obama did it, it must be okay for Trump to do it" has been your logic consistently throughout this whole thing. Yet you claim to hate Obama, how odd.

Btw, Trump is telling you what he thinks of you right to your face: That you're a moron who will eat up anything and everything he says. Just like when he said with a look of utter disbelief on his face that he could shoot someone on 5th ave and not lose any voters. This man knows he can do and say whatever he wants and the fools will nod their heads in agreement. He has utter contempt for you and your stupidity.

Doomed are the poor
Doomed are the peaceful
Doomed are the meek
Doomed are the merciful
The new beatitude:
Unread 2018-06-13, 02:33 PM   #873
DIYAutoRepair
**Sponsor**

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
He has utter contempt for you and your stupidity.
You are describing the wrong party bro.

People that support Trump know exactly what he is doing. I know you can't seem to comprehend what he is doing since you are filled with all that hate for everything on the right.
or call (913) 226-3806

Unread 2018-06-13, 02:49 PM   #874
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The big winner of the Trump-Kim summit? China.

China got exactly what it wanted from Trump at the North Korea summit.

US President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping shake hands prior to a meeting on the sidelines of the G20 Summit in Hamburg, Germany, on July 8, 2017. Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images BEIJING — The concessions President Trump floated during his historic summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un are drawing growing criticism from members of Trump’s own party, who argue that Trump gave up too much during the talks.

Chinese officials, by contrast, couldn’t be happier with Trump’s pledge to halt joint military exercises with South Korea and eventually withdraw the 28,500 American troops stationed there.

“We have always believed that the use of force, or the threat of the use of force, is not a good thing,” Yu Dunhai, a counselor in China’s foreign ministry, told me during a roundtable with a small group of reporters here.

Yu said that the Singapore summit itself — and the fact that the US and North Korea have committed to holding ongoing talks — meant that Washington didn’t need to keep troops in South Korea much longer.

“If North Korea is no longer an issue, what’s the purpose to still have the troops there?” Yu asked. “If there is no terrorist, if there is no enemy, why do we need those troops?”

Beijing has long wanted the US to withdraw those forces, and it seems that Trump now feels the same way. “I want to get our soldiers out,” the president told reporters after his meeting with Kim Tuesday, though he cautioned that a withdrawal “wasn’t part of the equation right now.”
That wasn’t Trump’s only gift to China. Last November, Beijing proposed that Washington suspend its military drills with South Korea in exchange for North Korea agreeing to freeze its nuclear program. Trump flatly rejected the idea at the time. After meeting with Kim, however, the president effectively adopted the Chinese proposal.

“We will be stopping the war games, which will save us a tremendous amount of money,” Trump said Tuesday. “Plus, I think it’s very provocative.”

Yu said Trump was right to look for ways of addressing what Yu called “the legitimate security concerns of North Korea” over the military exercises and US troop presence. Left unsaid was the fact that American concessions on either issue will be a big win for China too.

Beijing won big at Trump’s North Korea summit

The pageantry of Trump’s meeting with Kim — from their handshake to the image of the two men and their teams literally sitting across from each other at the negotiating table — was front-page news on China’s state-run newspapers and the lead story on its state-run TV stations.

None of the articles I read noted that Trump’s description of the joint US-South Korean military exercises as “war games” echoed decades of North Korean propaganda. American and South Korean officials have long said the drills are purely defensive in nature, though Pyongyang has always argued that they’re really preparations for a future invasion of the North.

Trump’s talk of halting those drills and withdrawing the US troops who take part in them sparked immediate criticism from several Republicans.

Sen. Lindsey Graham (SC), one of the most hawkish Republican senators, told CBS This Morning that “the one thing I would object to violently is withdrawing our forces from South Korea.”

“China is trying to play President Trump through North Korea,” Graham added. “If we withdraw our forces and that’s part of the deal, I can’t support the deal. That will lead to more conflict, not less.”
Sen. Joni Ernst (R-IA), for her part, took issue with Trump’s apparent willingness to halt the drills.

“I don’t think that’s wise because we have done these exercises for years,” Ernst told reporters Tuesday. “I would just ask the president, why do we need to suspend them? They are legal.”

Trump’s comments also surprised officials at the Pentagon, who said they would continue to plan an upcoming joint exercise called Ulchi Freedom Guardian unless the president or others in the chain of command ordered them to postpone or cancel the drill.

Lt. Col. Jennifer Lovett, a US military spokesperson in South Korea, told the New York Times that US commanders had received “no updated guidance on execution or cessation of training exercises” and would press ahead until they heard differently.

Beijing sees Trump as the wisest of emperors

During our roundtable here, Yu returned again and again to the idea that North Korea’s longstanding concerns about being invaded or attacked by the US and South Korea — and that the two countries are actively plotting to overthrow the Kim regime — are legitimate fears that need to be addressed as part of the talks.

An experienced diplomat, Yu couched almost all of his comments in flattery for Trump and Kim. Their willingness to meet in person, Yu said, changed the equation after decades of enmity between Washington and Pyongyang.

We pressed him on whether Beijing was alarmed by Trump’s talk of a trade war with China or his shifting positions on whether China is an ally, an adversary, or some combination of the two.

Yu answered with a parable from China’s long history of imperial rule: “A very kind emperor may not be a very good one,” he said. “[Being] morally good may not be enough. Sometimes you need more to overcome the obstacles.”

The Chinese diplomat didn’t mention Trump’s name, but he didn’t have to. In Beijing’s eyes, Trump is handling North Korea exactly how officials like Yu have always hoped an American president would deal with the rogue nation. The question now is whether that approach will be good for the US as well.

Unread 2018-06-13, 03:23 PM   #875
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Trump Kim summit: US wants 'major N Korea disarmament' by 2020

Pompeo (right) is in Seoul, South Korea, to discuss the outcome of Mr Trump's summit The US hopes to see "major disarmament" by North Korea by the end of 2020, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says.
His comments come a day after an unprecedented meeting between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un in Singapore.

In a statement North Korea agreed to work towards "complete denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula".
But the document has been criticised for lacking details on when or how Pyongyang would give up its weapons.
Speaking in South Korea, where he discussed the outcome of the summit, Secretary Pompeo said there was still "a great deal of work to do" with North Korea.

But he added: "Major disarmament... We're hopeful that we can achieve that in the two and half years."
He said he was confident Pyongyang understood the need for verification that it was dismantling its nuclear programme.

When asked by reporters why this was not specified in the document signed in Singapore, he condemned their questions as "insulting" and "ridiculous".

Trump Kim summit: What happens now? His comments come after President Trump declared that North Korea was no longer a nuclear threat, insisting "everybody can now feel much safer".
The credibility of that claim is in doubt. That is because under the deal, the North retains its nuclear warheads, the missiles to launch them and has not agreed to any specific process to get rid of them.
Pyongyang has celebrated the summit as a great win for the country.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

Just landed - a long trip, but everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office. There is no longer a Nuclear Threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!
4:56 AM - Jun 13, 2018

What was agreed at the summit?

The declaration signed at the end of the summit said the two countries would co-operate towards "new relations", while the US would provide "security guarantees" to North Korea.
Pyongyang in return "commits to work toward complete denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula".

At a news conference after the meeting, Mr Trump said he would lift sanctions against North Korea once "nukes are no longer a factor".
He also announced an unexpected end to US-South Korea military drills.
The move - long demanded by Pyongyang - has been seen as a major concession to North Korea and appeared to take US allies in the region by surprise.
After the summit, North Korea's state media said the two leaders had agreed that "step-by-step and simultaneous action" was needed to achieve denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.
American hardliners such as Mr Trump's national security adviser John Bolton have previously opposed such a phased approach, whereby the US takes reciprocal action.
What does the deal lack?

Most Western observers have said the deal includes no new commitments from North Korea nor details on how denuclearisation could be achieved or verified.

Trump Kim summit: Win-win, or a Kim win? At his news conference, President Trump said it was difficult to ensure anything but that he trusted his instinct that Mr Kim would abide by his word.
Critics also expressed disappointment that Pyongyang's long record of human rights abuses was not addressed.
How has the deal been received?

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe spoke to Donald Trump after the summit, saying there was "great meaning in Chairman Kim's clearly confirming to President Trump the complete denuclearisation".
Why North Koreans were last to learn of the Trump-Kim summit Tokyo also, however, cautioned that despite Pyongyang's pledge for denuclearisation no concrete steps had been taken and that Japan would not let down its guard.
Defence Minister Itsunori Onodera said Japan saw "US-South Korean joint exercises and the US military presence in South Korea as vital to security in East Asia".

Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi described the Singapore summit as an "equal dialogue" between the two sides, adding that "no-one will doubt the unique and important role played by China: a role which will continue".
Chinese state media described the summit as a "starting point" but said "no-one would expect the half-day summit to be able to iron out all differences and remove deep-seated mistrust between the two long-time foes".

Last edited by JDLM; 2018-06-13 at 03:31 PM..

Tags
north korea