Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Politics, Religion, Current Events

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Unread 2021-01-13, 10:56 AM   #26
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 89
Likes (Given): 3
Likes (Received): 798
Dislikes (Given): 3
Dislikes (Received): 6

Hence my fear of a liberal biased government being covered by a liberal biased media. Any and all conservative leaning ideology will either be completely ignored or vilified. Hard core liberals and conservatives are always happy and open to new ideas....as long as it's the new ideas they agree with. And having two like minded masses leading the way makes for a back slapping and decidedly skewed view of the world.
Hoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2021-01-13, 12:16 PM   #27
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 266
Thanks (Received): 235
Likes (Given): 1813
Likes (Received): 1707
Dislikes (Given): 37
Dislikes (Received): 44

Not sure why the quote working is hit or miss...

Quote:
There’s still no denying the media and big tech coverage of left winged violence vs right winged violence. The double standard and hypocrisy is crazy. They all need to be treated, and punished equally.
I won't entirely disagree with that. It largely depends on who you get your news from. I don't think any of the violence is warranted, left or right. The more extreme positions seem to get the air time, but a lot of times I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. People do not want to hear that, or deal with facts.

After the the events last Wednesday, I jumped on social media to see what people had to say, and the number of people jumping on to scream it was all antifa and it couldn't be DT supporters was alarming.

That is just as stupid as people on the left coming out to say all cops are bad, defund police (or even get rid of police), or put unreasonable restrictions on them.

Quote:
Hence my fear of a liberal biased government being covered by a liberal biased media. Any and all conservative leaning ideology will either be completely ignored or vilified. Hard core liberals and conservatives are always happy and open to new ideas....as long as it's the new ideas they agree with. And having two like minded masses leading the way makes for a back slapping and decidedly skewed view of the world.
That is my fear on both sides - and it only seems to be getting worse. I am a firm believer that you should actively listen to beliefs that differ from your own. There is no harm in seeing where others are coming from, changing, or reinforcing your own beliefs after. Those should be freely expressed. At the point that they are false claims that, especially when harmful, is where I draw the line.

I think the bias probably seems a little worse than it has in the past, because DT has given plenty of ammo to use. The guy is not known for careful word choice or tact. On the other side, you have AOC who is not afraid to say what she thinks, even though it is way out in left field. It makes her an easy target for conservatives.
69Mach351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2021-01-13, 01:11 PM   #28
Corners

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 115
Thanks (Received): 188
Likes (Given): 565
Likes (Received): 1170

"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Corners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2021-01-13, 02:29 PM   #29
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

I am genuinely curious, do you not see the reason that he got banned?

Is people losing their lives (including a law enforcement officer) and the capitol getting trashed and looted over false statements not enough?
Unread 2021-01-13, 05:05 PM   #30
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my viewpoint on that:

NO President, Congressmen, Senator etc. should have access to social media platforms. What is the point other than rabblerousing and being unedited....which at that level, you really should be.
Unread 2021-01-14, 03:08 AM   #31
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 144
Likes (Given): 243
Likes (Received): 793
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post
I am genuinely curious, do you not see the reason that he got banned?

Is people losing their lives (including a law enforcement officer) and the capitol getting trashed and looted over false statements not enough?
It's the lefts fault for making them do it.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_A2cQLgcI

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzre9upT7g

These people were frightened to death by the big meanie leftists who were going to make sure they had terrible things like free healthcare!

Unread 2021-01-14, 08:41 AM   #32
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblique View Post
It's the lefts fault for making them do it.
The left didn’t “make” them do it, but it’s also naive to say they didn’t play a part of it.

Do you think the people on the left who called for violence should face the same punishment as those on the right?
"We must love each other, show affection for each other and unite together in condemnation of hatred, bigotry and violence. We must rediscover the bonds of love and loyalty that bring us together as Americans" - President Trump
Unread 2021-01-14, 09:44 AM   #33
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like

This....once again is exactly my fear of a duo of Liberal media and Government. Favoritism.
Unread 2021-01-14, 09:48 AM   #34
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Again, not sure why the quote is working sometimes and not on others...

Corners -

The left didn’t “make” them do it, but it’s also naive to say they didn’t play a part of it.

I am interested in hearing what you think the Dems did to aid in last Wednesday's event.

Corners -

Do you think the people on the left who called for violence should face the same punishment as those on the right?

Call for violence? Sure, I don't think that anyone should call for violence. The punishment should depend on how much that person impacted what happened and what was said.

What struck my nerve about last week, was that DT could have just as easily appeased the crowd, and likely kept the issues minimal, said thank you, and sent them on their way. Instead, he egged it on, and then took his sweet time to call them special and stop the violence, after they started to rush the capitol. It cost people their lives, and to be quite honest, made me fairly sick that anyone could try to justify that, or throw out more conspiracy theories to spin it.
Unread 2021-01-14, 10:51 AM   #35
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corners View Post

Do you think the right played a part in the riots that happened over the summer?

I think those that committed violence, whether they be BLM or Trump supporters, should be brought to justice according to their crimes. But I would also argue (and the law would back me up on this) that destroying property and storming the Capitol in an effort to overturn a presidential election is apple and oranges.
Unread 2021-01-14, 11:10 AM   #36
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Do you think the right played a part in the riots that happened over the summer?

I think those that committed violence, whether they be BLM or Trump supporters, should be brought to justice according to their crimes. But I would also argue (and the law would back me up on this) that destroying property and storming the Capitol in an effort to overturn a presidential election is apple and oranges.
Both parties should be held to the same standard.
Unread 2021-01-14, 11:19 AM   #37
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Mach351 View Post

I am interested in hearing what you think the Dems did to aid in last Wednesday's event.

Call for violence? Sure, I don't think that anyone should call for violence. The punishment should depend on how much that person impacted what happened and what was said.

What struck my nerve about last week, was that DT could have just as easily appeased the crowd, and likely kept the issues minimal, said thank you, and sent them on their way. Instead, he egged it on, and then took his sweet time to call them special and stop the violence, after they started to rush the capitol. It cost people their lives, and to be quite honest, made me fairly sick that anyone could try to justify that, or throw out more conspiracy theories to spin it.
It wasn’t a single thing you can pin, but a boiling point that was reached due to the hypocrisy and double standard. You can tell they were frustrated. Kinda like saying, “show me where Trump said to raid the capital building“, to which you cannot, but it’s also naive to say he didn’t play a part.

I think both parties are to blame for both the left and right violence seen the last few years. I believe if both parties truly wanted to stop it, they would come together and clean house together and remove the people who instigated and approved violence. Remove Trump and Pelosi and show the people that we are no longer going to play favorites and we are going to hold everyone to the same standard. Fair and consistent punishment for people who incite violence will go a long way.

Last edited by Corners; 2021-01-14 at 11:29 AM..
Unread 2021-01-14, 11:31 AM   #38
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like

Sadly though, that is what the two party system is. A popularity contest. Somehow it has become a popularity contest to retain the person/people who will pander most to their constituency. It really is all quite frustrating to be governed by a group of old out of touch people who are career politicians that have never really been "working class". The statement applies to both parties. Both are so lost in the woods that instead of reforming the wreck their respective parties have become, they resort to rabblerousing and name calling to keep the divide good and obvious. What is even more irritating is when a 3rd party shows up with their flat of beer to the two party party, they are lambasted as crackpots and revolutionaries.

If the established and failing party views you as a revolutionary, you're probably on the right track.....
Unread 2021-01-14, 12:30 PM   #39
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
It wasn’t a single thing you can pin, but a boiling point that was reached due to the hypocrisy and double standard. You can tell they were frustrated. Kinda like saying, “show me where Trump said to raid the capital building“, to which you cannot, but it’s also naive to say he didn’t play a part.

I think both parties are to blame for both the left and right violence seen the last few years. I believe if both parties truly wanted to stop it, they would come together and clean house together and remove the people who instigated and approved violence. Remove Trump and Pelosi and show the people that we are no longer going to play favorites and we are going to hold everyone to the same standard. Fair and consistent punishment for people who incite violence will go a long way.
What hypocrisy and double standard are you talking about?

Crimes being committed? Sure I think they should prosecute those involved in violent crime, property destruction, etc. That goes for the left and the right. But that can't be the boiling point prior to storming the capitol.

Media coverage? I would argue that its is worse now than ever, in particular because of Trump. You cannot continue to make ridiculous and false statements as the leader of the most powerful country in the world, and not expect people to go after it. They range from flat out lies, to jokes in poor taste that most people wouldn't probably say in public, let alone to the world.

I think it is hard to say fair on consistent punishment for DT, when IMO, there hasn't been anything like this before. Had he not lied, continue to spread conspiracy theories, told people to fight like hell, go to the capitol, tell Mike Pence to do something that he had no power to do, then the chances of this happening are minimal. Had he gone out, appeased the crowd, said thanks for coming, then it likely would have fizzled out and everyone goes home.

And I agree. Trump, Pelosi, and I would even throw in a few more that need to get out.
Unread 2021-01-14, 12:32 PM   #40
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
Sadly though, that is what the two party system is. A popularity contest. Somehow it has become a popularity contest to retain the person/people who will pander most to their constituency. It really is all quite frustrating to be governed by a group of old out of touch people who are career politicians that have never really been "working class". The statement applies to both parties. Both are so lost in the woods that instead of reforming the wreck their respective parties have become, they resort to rabblerousing and name calling to keep the divide good and obvious. What is even more irritating is when a 3rd party shows up with their flat of beer to the two party party, they are lambasted as crackpots and revolutionaries.

If the established and failing party views you as a revolutionary, you're probably on the right track.....
A popularity contest may be better. I feel like it has been the lesser of two evils now for a while. I thank the idiots that only vote on party lines - people cannot express ideas that may appeal to both sides, even if it is better, if they know they won't get elected because such a large part of the country votes based on an R or a D.
Unread 2021-01-14, 12:39 PM   #41
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
It really is all quite frustrating to be governed by a group of old out of touch people who are career politicians that have never really been "working class".
I’m for term limits, and an age limit that nobody over the SS retirement age can run for office. But that would require the people in power to vote themselves out of power, so it will never happen.
Unread 2021-01-14, 02:22 PM   #42
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

/\ I am all for term limits. Age, I am hit or miss. While it doesn't make sense to let the people leaving the table, order for everyone, someone that is genuinely good doesn't turn bad at a specific age. I think term limits would also limit the average age more.

I think a number of other rules should come into play

- There should be bans on going into, or coming from lobbying, at least for a period of time.
- The lifetime pension should be greatly reduced and/or be be a set number of years. There is no reason someone should be set for life, at a significantly better position than those that elected him/her.
- I would also accept pay and benefits being based off of numbers derived from the general population. If the average active health insurance package costs $xxx/mo for an individual, that is what you will receive for yours. People making the laws need to feel the impact of those laws.
- There should be harsh punishments for government shutdowns - take away benefits, pay, whatever. It is complete bullshit that we go through that threat every year.
- The same should apply if we go over budget, barring extreme circumstances (war, pandemic, etc.).

...sorry for the rant. I know it is not all perfect, but the way government is becoming is sickening. I do think it still needs to have decent pay and benefits to attract the right talent, but it can't be so disconnected from the people they serve.

Last edited by 69Mach351; 2021-01-15 at 08:46 AM..
Unread 2021-01-14, 02:31 PM   #43
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like

I believe in age limits. an 80 year old congressmen has likely spent the last 30-40 years at the least IN politics. He/she has literally no idea how the world works anymore at that point.
Unread 2021-01-14, 02:33 PM   #44
jwdb1fish

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 36
Thanks (Received): 495
Likes (Given): 65
Likes (Received): 4186
Dislikes (Received): 125

Good to see Twitter and FB losing value to the tune of 51.2 billion dollars combined.
Unread 2021-01-14, 10:50 PM   #45
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Both parties should be held to the same standard.
Imagine if Trump won the election and Biden and his supporters spent months spouting unfounded claims about voter fraud that repeatedly failed in court then Biden incited BLM and Antifa to storm the Capitol in an effort to stop Trump from being officially certified the winner, leaving 5 dead including killing a cop. Thats the new standard we're dealing with here. Stop bullshitting me with your cries about the left's hypocrisy when you know the right would have been calling for the Capitol steps to be flowing with the blood of BLM and Antifa if the roles would have been reversed. They'd forever use it as evidence of "the left hating America by trying to tear apart the Constitution in a crazed TDS induced psychotic episode of hatred and lunacy". They'd be calling for them all to be round up and hanged for treason.
Unread 2021-01-14, 10:56 PM   #46
Oblique
Forum Jester and Clown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

Unread 2021-01-14, 11:24 PM   #47
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Imagine if Trump won the election and Biden and his supporters spent months spouting unfounded claims about voter fraud that repeatedly failed in court then Biden incited BLM and Antifa to storm the Capitol in an effort to stop Trump from being officially certified the winner, leaving 5 dead including killing a cop. Thats the new standard we're dealing with here. Stop bullshitting me with your cries about the left's hypocrisy when you know the right would have been calling for the Capitol steps to be flowing with the blood of BLM and Antifa if the roles would have been reversed. They'd forever use it as evidence of "the left hating America by trying to tear apart the Constitution in a crazed TDS induced psychotic episode of hatred and lunacy". They'd be calling for them all to be round up and hanged for treason.
The old, “but just imagine if it was the other people” logical fallacy. The fact remains there is a double standard in the media and it supports the left. This is undeniable.

But...but... just imagine if Clinton and her supported spent years trying to spout unfounded claims about voting fraud that failed then incited BLM and ANTIFA to physically assault Trump supporters causing hundreds of federal buildings to be damaged and killing 30, injuring 2000 police officers, and causing $2 billion in property damage, but having leaders agree with the violence. Oh wait...
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Camaro84 liked this post
Unread 2021-01-15, 09:38 AM   #48
Hoop

Post Thanks / Like

I think the issue you're seeing is twofold. Politicians are just terrible. And clearly not getting better. But I truly believe that the media needs to be held to the flame as well. All they do is sensationalize and clickbait the idiot general public.
Unread 2021-01-15, 09:57 AM   #49
69Mach351

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I think the issue you're seeing is twofold. Politicians are just terrible. And clearly not getting better. But I truly believe that the media needs to be held to the flame as well. All they do is sensationalize and clickbait the idiot general public.
It has became more about entertainment than news in a lot of places.

That said, speaking about big tech censorship and DT, chose what he put out as content. In that part of it, media cannot be to blame. Or I guess if you want to blame the platforms, they solved it by giving him the boot.

Now, there are more far right (just as there are far left) media outlets that perpetuated it, and I agree, that they should be held to the flame as well. Again, they are just following the $$$, not the truth.
Unread 2021-01-15, 05:20 PM   #50
Corners

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes zef liked this post