Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2011-03-22, 12:55 PM   #126
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

It looks like T-Mobile is future proofing their new phones to run on AT&T

According to the official specifications for the LG G2x, it appears that T-Mobile will begin to future proof their phones by including radios that operate on both their network and AT&T’s, in anticipation of the merger.
T-Mobile currently operates their 3G and 4G HSPA+ networks on AWS Band IV (1700), but AT&T wants to re-purpose that spectrume for their 4G LTE coverage. AT&T operates their 3G and 4G HSPA+ networks on UMTS bands 850 and 1900, so current T-Mobile handsets would need to be replaced when the network changes are made.
The proposed merger is not expected to close for another 12 months and AT&T says the transition to 4G LTE on AWS spectrum could take several years, so we don’t see this as a big deal for current T-Mobile customers. The day will come when some T-Mobile phones need to be replaced, but AT&T has said in previous transactions they “allowed customers to choose a comparable device at no charge if their device was not compatible with the network.”
We know that AT&T and T-Mobile had been in negotiations for at least three months, so it looks like they decided on letting T-Mobile produce phones that would work on both networks to make the transition process easier.
The bands (frequencies) supported by the G2x.

The T-Mobile G2x is the first phone that supports UMTS bands 1700/2100 for T-Mobile and 850/1900 for AT&T. The global version of the LG Optimus 2X did not support all these bands, so someone at T-Mobile had to request a special radio that could handle both networks.
We don’t know if the UMTS bands for AT&T’s HSPA+ network will be turned on when the G2x hits stores, but a future update to the radio’s firmware could easily enable them when needed.
So if you were thinking about purchasing the T-Mobile G2x and were concerned it might not work in a couple years, you can put your worries to rest because it has the hardware needed to operate on AT&T.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-22, 03:53 PM   #127
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Sprint Plans Appeal to Congress to Halt AT&T-T-Mobile Deal

Dan Hesse, chief executive officer of Sprint Nextel Corp. Photographer: Ramin Talaie/Bloomberg

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) Chief Executive Officer Dan Hesse said the company plans to submit its concerns over AT&T Inc. (T)’s proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA to Congress, saying the deal hurts the wireless industry.
The combined entity would have “tremendous” power, Hesse said in an interview at a wireless industry conference in Orlando, Florida. He said AT&T and Verizon Wireless would hold 79 percent of the U.S. market if regulators approve the deal.
Sprint shares fell 14 percent yesterday on concern AT&T’s $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile, announced March 20, will leave the Overland Park, Kansas-based carrier a weaker No. 3 player in the U.S. The deal still needs regulatory approval. Sprint also held talks about buying T-Mobile, people with knowledge of the matter said this month.
Hesse, 57, said Sprint will file its concerns to Congress during the review. The U.S. House Judiciary Committee said yesterday it will hold a hearing on the takeover. The committee will look into possible anticompetitive impacts, said Representative Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who heads the panel.
Hesse declined to say whether Sprint had held talks with T- Mobile. He told an audience at the wireless event that the acquisition by AT&T would consolidate too much power in the mobile-phone market.
“I have concerns it would stifle innovation,” Hesse said.
Sprint rose 11 cents to $4.47 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.

Unread 2011-03-22, 07:10 PM   #128
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Sprint Plans Appeal to Congress to Halt AT&T-T-Mobile Deal

Dan Hesse, chief executive officer of Sprint Nextel Corp. Photographer: Ramin Talaie/Bloomberg

Sprint Nextel Corp. (S) Chief Executive Officer Dan Hesse said the company plans to submit its concerns over AT&T Inc. (T)’s proposed acquisition of T-Mobile USA to Congress, saying the deal hurts the wireless industry.
The combined entity would have “tremendous” power, Hesse said in an interview at a wireless industry conference in Orlando, Florida. He said AT&T and Verizon Wireless would hold 79 percent of the U.S. market if regulators approve the deal.
Sprint shares fell 14 percent yesterday on concern AT&T’s $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile, announced March 20, will leave the Overland Park, Kansas-based carrier a weaker No. 3 player in the U.S. The deal still needs regulatory approval. Sprint also held talks about buying T-Mobile, people with knowledge of the matter said this month.
Hesse, 57, said Sprint will file its concerns to Congress during the review. The U.S. House Judiciary Committee said yesterday it will hold a hearing on the takeover. The committee will look into possible anticompetitive impacts, said Representative Lamar Smith, a Texas Republican who heads the panel.
Hesse declined to say whether Sprint had held talks with T- Mobile. He told an audience at the wireless event that the acquisition by AT&T would consolidate too much power in the mobile-phone market.
“I have concerns it would stifle innovation,” Hesse said.
Sprint rose 11 cents to $4.47 at 4 p.m. in New York Stock Exchange composite trading.
It's a wise decision and I think plenty of people would agree with the points made.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-23, 06:58 PM   #129
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

AT&T States: T-Mobile will get to keep its current pricing structure

This may come as a relief to some as one of the biggest issues regarding the AT&T and T-Mobile merger has been addressed. IntoMobile found out, via a discussion with AT&T CEO Ralph de la Vega at CTIA 2011, that AT&T will allow T-Mobile to keep it’s current pricing structure despite the takeover. However it was not mentioned how this is going to work. This new information brings up a whole new slew of questions regarding the recent merger, will AT&T and T-Mobile remain separate in some way, or will AT&T adopt T-Mobile’s methods. AT&T changing it’s ways in pretty unlikely however it’s doubtful they will allow T-Mobile to stand alone either. Although, regardless of speculation AT&T has come a long way with the Android world and has become a bit more open minded now that the iPhone is no longer exclusive. It’s a shame it took this long but maybe this new merger will end up being a new start for AT&T provided everything goes as planned.

Unread 2011-03-24, 02:45 AM   #130
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3830
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Sprint is just pissed that they arent in a position to be the ones getting tmobile.

Also, i keep seeing the logos in the articles and such, but has there been any ACTUAL logos come out yet for what they will potentially use?

Id really like to see them keep the pink in some part of it...
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 05:00 AM   #131
Fatguy
BANNED!

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 163
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 508
Dislikes (Given): 88
Dislikes (Received): 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOACAD View Post
Sprint is just pissed that they arent in a position to be the ones getting tmobile.

Also, i keep seeing the logos in the articles and such, but has there been any ACTUAL logos come out yet for what they will potentially use?

I really doubt they'll mess with the logo or coloring. They didn't do it when they picked up Cingular years ago, not sure why they'd do it now with such high brand recognition.

I think a pink "T" would be hilarious at the end though, although, it'll be gone in a year I guarantee it.
Fatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 06:22 AM   #132
Pringle

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 328
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 1668
Likes (Received): 261
Dislikes (Given): 727
Dislikes (Received): 95

I feel TATT Mobile coming up fast. XD
Originally Posted by Gunnar View Post
If I had a son who wanted to plaid wrap a Cobalt I'd try to get lung cancer too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantooth View Post
Don't hate because mommy and daddy bought me a faster car than yours. Put up or shut up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveobb4 View Post
Pringle, you know nothing of how i drive and treat my vehicles. This site is nothing more than a bunch of ricer d-bags.
Pringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 08:09 AM   #133
The Lox

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 131
Likes (Given): 181
Likes (Received): 946
Dislikes (Given): 5
Dislikes (Received): 34

Quote:

I highly doubt that is on the top of their list right now. First order of business is to get the DOJ or whatever group regulates them, to approve the merger. Then you get a legal close, then you get a business close. After the business close you will start to see stuff like that emerge.
Unread 2011-03-24, 08:46 AM   #134
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

I find it rather humorous how many of you guy live off a phone. Back in my younger days, you know, when I had to walk uphill both ways, through the snow without shoes to get to school, phones were huge, clumsy, boxes. Rotaries were still widely used. Pay phones were EVERYWHERE.
I actually wasted a bunch of time going through this just to get a bit of a smile on my face.
It seems some of you would have some serious withdrawls, very much like a junky. lol No offense though to anyone in particular. Just kinda noticed a trend here.

Last edited by TWEETY; 2011-03-24 at 08:51 AM..
TWEETY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 09:27 AM   #135
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

nope just fan made/blog logos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWEETY View Post
I find it rather humorous how many of you guy live off a phone. Back in my younger days, you know, when I had to walk uphill both ways, through the snow without shoes to get to school, phones were huge, clumsy, boxes. Rotaries were still widely used. Pay phones were EVERYWHERE.
I actually wasted a bunch of time going through this just to get a bit of a smile on my face.
It seems some of you would have some serious withdrawls, very much like a junky. lol No offense though to anyone in particular. Just kinda noticed a trend here.
Withdraws what because the carrier that some of us have service through may be going through changes (nothing that is too grand at the moment from info that is out about it) You call that a withdraw? ..ok

Unread 2011-03-24, 09:45 AM   #136
Madrat

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 15
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWEETY View Post
Let me run my business off a payphone really quick..
Unread 2011-03-24, 09:46 AM   #137
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

JASON, DISCUSSING A MAJOR TELECOM MERGER AND SPECULATING WHAT CHANGES MAY TAKE PLACE IS CLEARLY A SIGN WE ARE ADDICTED.
Unread 2011-03-24, 09:47 AM   #138
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrat View Post
Let me run my business off a payphone really quick..
Better get a pager to, bro.
Unread 2011-03-24, 09:51 AM   #139
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

TWEETY has as much business being in the computer section as he does the politics one, he is failing at both.

Unread 2011-03-24, 02:23 PM   #140
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

We should put it in a way he can understand.

What if the local horse and buggy shop you always go to gets bought out by a bigger horse and buggy company that charges more money, has a bad rep in a couple of areas and has bad customer service? Would you want to discuss how this gets you saying "what in tarnation" like yosemite sam ten times fast?

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 02:57 PM   #141
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 178
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Given): 920
Likes (Received): 340
Dislikes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumSS View Post
We should put it in a way he can understand.

What if the local horse and buggy shop you always go to gets bought out by a bigger horse and buggy company that charges more money, has a bad rep in a couple of areas and has bad customer service? Would you want to discuss how this gets you saying "what in tarnation" like yosemite sam ten times fast?
+ Imaginary Rep
JustinCredible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-24, 03:04 PM   #142
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
FCC official: ‘No way chairman’s office rubber stamps’ AT&T’s T-Mobile acquisition

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal on Thursday, an anonymous Federal Communications Commission official said “there’s no way the chairman’s office [will] rubber-stamp” AT&T’s $39 billion acquisition of Deutsche Telecom-owned T-Mobile USA, and that the approval process will be “a steep climb at least.” The FCC official went on to say that the FCC has not even started to evaluate the deal and that it will be scrutinized and denied or accepted based on whether or not it will be in the best interest of consumers. Similar deals have been doubted before, though, and the WSJ points to the merger between XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite radio, which FCC chairman Kevin Martin said would be a high hurdle to approve back in 2007. Current FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said Tuesday during his speech at the CTIA Wireless 2011 trade show, which we live blogged, that “healthy competition produces greater innovation and investment, lower prices, and better service.” AT&T’s purchase of T-Mobile is seen as likely decreasing the amount of competition in the U.S. wireless market, with just three major carriers competing for customers. But Genachowski has yet to comment on the acquisition proposal. As we said in an earlier editorial, T-Mobile customers could come out on top with this deal — if it ends up being approved.
http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/24/fcc-of...e-acquisition/
Unread 2011-03-24, 03:23 PM   #143
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

more FCC stuff:

AT&T Faces Steep Climb With T-Mobile Acquisition Says FCC Official

Everyone and their mother has an opinion about the AT&T acquisition of T-Mobile – including me. Some say it’s good, I say it’s bad. Some say it’ll go through, I say there’s a good chance it won’t. But now an FCC Official took a moment off the record to say there is “no way” the FCC will “rubber-stamp” the deal, claiming it faces “a steep climb”.
As I expected.
When Verizon bought Alltel in 2008 it faced a large amount of FCC and that company was MUCH smaller than T-Mobile USA. However, Verizon made enough concessions on a market-by-market basis, allowing Alltel to keep it’s assets in locations without ample competition, and they were able to go through with the deal.
The question, in my opinion, is where do you draw the line? If Verizon could make enough concessions… why can’t AT&T make it work as long as 1 other carrier is in each market? And if AT&T can make buying T-Mobile work, why couldn’t Verizon buy Sprint as long as there was a competitor in each city-by-city basis? And if all that goes through, we’ll be left with 2 carriers and a bunch of scrapple.
I hope the FCC looks at this deal with the highest level of scrutiny and thinks about the DISTANT future of mobile competition, not just the latest 3-year hoorah. We need healthy competition!

Unread 2011-03-24, 03:25 PM   #144
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
See: post above yours.
Unread 2011-03-24, 03:29 PM   #145
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredible View Post
See: post above yours.
ok

Unread 2011-03-24, 03:36 PM   #146
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

(Reuters) - AT&T Inc's $39 billion bid to buy Deutsche Telekom AG's T-Mobile casts doubt on the U.S. government's ability to swiftly deliver policy to meet the booming demand for wireless services.
Wireless companies have long lobbied for help to deal with what they see as a looming "spectrum crunch" as more consumers turn to mobile devices including Apple Inc's iPhone to surf the Web.
AT&T -- the No. 2 U.S. mobile carrier often criticized for dropped calls and slow connection speeds -- is not waiting for government remedies intended to free up airwaves for mobile broadband to help it meet ever-growing demands for video and data.
But the move could slow legislation needed to free up spectrum for auction to wireless carriers, a potential thorn in the Federal Communications Commission's agenda.
"The way things work in Congress, there's competition for what issues get the lawmakers' time and resources," Medley Global Advisors analyst Jeffrey Silva said.
Top lawmakers have already signaled an interest in scrutinizing the large-scale transaction.
The proposed merger would boost AT&T's spectrum holdings -- the airwaves used for wireless communication -- nearly 20 percent from 0.86 to 1.02 megahertz per million subscribers.
AT&T's Ralph de la Vega, chief executive of the company's wireless unit, said in television interviews this week that AT&T faced a spectrum shortage in the "short term."
A lack of spectrum would mean clogged networks, more dropped calls and slower connection speeds for subscribers.
The deal would "add capacity sooner than any alternative" and offers a quick solution "to the impending exhaustion of wireless spectrum," the company said in a release.
"AT&T is aware that there are regulatory initiatives to free up new spectrum but, in their world, they can't afford to wait," Silva said.
LEGISLATION MAY STALL
The U.S. government has been hunting for underused airwaves to make 500 megahertz of spectrum available over the next 10 years for wireless services.
But much of the plan hinges on TV broadcasters agreeing to part with portions of their highly sought after airwaves and Congress granting the FCC authority to hold incentive auctions that would compensate broadcasters for that spectrum.
Broadcasters have raised concerns about giving up their airwaves, and have considerable support among lawmakers because of their coverage of home-town politics. Paul Gallant, an analyst with MF Global, said AT&T's bid for T-Mobile puts a dimmer outlook on the likelihood of lawmakers moving spectrum legislation this year.
"We would now put the odds of Congress passing major spectrum legislation in 2011 at 35 percent," he said in a research note.
Gallant said lawmakers could view the merger as giving AT&T what they need without controversial legislation.
The subcommittee has scheduled a hearing on spectrum for April 12.
The hearing could shed light on whether there's consensus on Capitol Hill that a wireless spectrum crisis exists. "That could be the biggest obstacle if there's not an acknowledgment that there is a looming spectrum crunch," Silva said.
Still, the "win-win-win outcomes" of incentive auctions freeing up airwaves, funding a public safety network and reducing the deficit will prompt lawmakers to act by 2013, Gallant said.
But the FCC has urged for swifter action.
A senior FCC official, who spoke on condition of not being named, said any potential shifting of existing spectrum among wireless companies does nothing to solve the fundamental problem of making more spectrum available to ease the crunch the wireless industry faces.
"If we do nothing in the face of the looming spectrum crunch, many consumers will face higher prices ... and frustrating service -- connections that drop, apps that run unreliably or too slowly," FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski said in a speech this week at a wireless industry event.
He declined to comment on the proposed merger.

Unread 2011-03-24, 03:36 PM   #147
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

FCC Official Goes Off The Record, Says AT&T/T-Mobile Marriage Faces “Steep Climb”
By David, Managing Editor March 24, 2011 2:38 pm EST 48 Comments
8Share

As the wireless world continues to take in the shock of the AT&T and T-mobile buyout news, reports of just how easy or how difficult it will be to find approval for the deal are rampant. Speaking to an off the record FCC official, the Wall Street Journal reports there is “no way” the FCC will “rubber-stamp” the deal. On top of that, the same official says that any deal is likely to face a “steep climb.”

AT&T may be making their own case as to how important this deal along with downplaying the significant concerns the public, FCC and Department of Justice may have. AT&T remains confident that they can push the deal through however.

This wouldn’t be the first time the FCC has approved a deal such as this, may point to the out the example of Sirius and XM radio combining into a single entity.
Unread 2011-03-24, 03:38 PM   #148
KUweatherman
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 402
Thanks (Received): 363
Likes (Given): 4971
Likes (Received): 2124
Dislikes (Given): 123
Dislikes (Received): 174

I'm pretty sure the FCC says it will be a steep climb for this to pass. Anyone see that too?
Unread 2011-03-24, 05:30 PM   #149
TWEETY

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 41
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 217
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 5

Quote:
TWEETY has as much business being in the computer section as he does the politics one, he is failing at both.
Yes, I can say I am not the absolute be all/end all for computers. I did, however, fix my issue.
All by myself even.
I guess my fingers didnt translate my point as well as my brain was thinking it. I DO have T-Mobile, so this will affect me too. I believe its quite premature to bail at this point just because AT&T sucks. From this point in time, we all probably have about 1 yr before big changes would likely occur. And already, some of ya are really moaning and groaning about it as though the end of the world is at hand. Relax a bit, jeez.
Reasonable?
Unread 2011-03-24, 06:09 PM   #150
JustinCredible

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
I'm pretty sure the FCC says it will be a steep climb for this to pass. Anyone see that too?