Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2011-03-21, 09:49 AM   #51
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by offensive View Post
Really? Saying a year old phone isn't out of date? As far as standard phones go, they are out of date the day they are launched. Companies like HTC will develop a slew of products to release over the course of a year, and release the worst technology first and move along. You will never, ever, have an 'up to date' phone. You will always be behind the curve. That is the way this market is designed, so that each model is more alluring.
Exactly but it's not out of date unless the next model is already out. Maybe you can call it old technology but out of date is inaccurate if there isn't something out at the moment to trump it in it's own lineup.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 09:51 AM   #52
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

It's accurate to say my HTC Hero is "out of date," not so much the EVO. Whenever the CTIA phones are announced and then released, then the EVO will be out dated.

Unread 2011-03-21, 09:55 AM   #53
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 1756
Dislikes (Given): 18
Dislikes (Received): 50

Lol, sure if we are just talking about whatever phones sprint offers at a contract subsidized price, but there are already phones that HTC released that trump the Evo. Shit is usually released every 4-6 months.

http://www.htc.com/www/product.aspx

http://www.htc.com/us/products#/?view=1-1&sort=0

tl;dr evo is old, there isn't any debating this

Last edited by offensive; 2011-03-21 at 09:58 AM..
offensive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 10:00 AM   #54
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not bashing current evo owners btw, as I'm in the same boat, my Galaxy S is old as fuck. But I think it's fucking hilarious if someone was to go out and buy an evo or galaxy s today, knowing they've been out so long.
Unread 2011-03-21, 10:01 AM   #55
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

To the people that don't want to spend a retarded amount of money on a phone (out of contract or without a contract) every 4-6 months, the Evo is not considered out of date. it may be to the 1% that buys out of contract for $5-600 but for the general population, it doesn't work like that.

Edit: and I completely agree with your last post. I'm in that same boat. I'd like to light this Hero on fire, run it over, and make it fly into the sun. Counting the days till whatever is announced tomorrow to come out!

Unread 2011-03-21, 10:06 AM   #56
Karlen

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 887
Thanks (Received): 482
Likes (Given): 4078
Likes (Received): 4371
Dislikes (Given): 99
Dislikes (Received): 169

Fuck the Hero. I'd get so damn angry at that pile of shit. I didn't actually get around to breaking it until I was drunk one night and the battery shit itself in a whole 2 hours. It found it's way down a hill in Mount Adams in about .2 seconds.
Karlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 10:08 AM   #57
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlen View Post
Fuck the Hero. I'd get so damn angry at that pile of shit. I didn't actually get around to breaking it until I was drunk one night and the battery shit itself in a whole 2 hours. It found it's way down a hill in Mount Adams in about .2 seconds.
yeah, with only slightly moderate texting (for only about 2-3 hours), the battery lasted a whopping 12 hours, no wifi, no bluetooth, nearly everything turned off. DON'T LET ME DOWN CTIA!!!!

Unread 2011-03-21, 10:12 AM   #58
Rob

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 149
Likes (Given): 829
Likes (Received): 852
Dislikes (Given): 12
Dislikes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUweatherman View Post
The Thunderbolt has a little more RAM and A LOT more on board storage (8GB vs the Evo's 1GB). Other than that, no.

http://www.wirefly.com/learn/resourc...vs-htc-evo-4g/
The thunderbolt also has a 32gb microsd included
Unread 2011-03-21, 10:45 AM   #59
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 264
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 2829
Likes (Received): 1357
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

I'm curious to see the specs on the Nexus S 4G Sprint is getting.

Although I haven't even tried looking, doing that now.

Edit: Same as all current SGS devices as far as I can tell. Basically an Epic sans keyboard plus Gingerbread.

2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Stock Old Man Truck
1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS - Hipster Retro
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 10:57 AM   #60
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
I'm curious to see the specs on the Nexus S 4G Sprint is getting.

Although I haven't even tried looking, doing that now.

Edit: Same as all current SGS devices as far as I can tell. Basically an Epic sans keyboard plus Gingerbread.
Well, it has a dedicated gpu as well, which is the only way it can compete with tegra 2 devices
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:00 AM   #61
Phate

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 286
Likes (Received): 83
Dislikes (Given): 8
Dislikes (Received): 4

Guess I'm the only person that has zero issues with Atnt, or my iphone 4.
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:08 AM   #62
Ryan D
Custom User Title

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 30
Thanks (Received): 175
Likes (Given): 91
Likes (Received): 1288
Dislikes (Given): 28
Dislikes (Received): 212

With android, Google syncs you. No worries about losing contacts.

PS. Sprint "announced" the nexus s 4G this morning. Its already on their website.
Ryan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:23 AM   #63
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth View Post

PS. Sprint "announced" the nexus s 4G this morning. Its already on their website.
Saw that, which makes me excited knowing they have a big announcement still for tomorrow. I'm really hoping that Evo 3D with the great specs is the real announcement.

Unread 2011-03-21, 11:24 AM   #64
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phate View Post
Guess I'm the only person that has zero issues with Atnt, or my iphone 4.
Are you a power user or someone who is overly critical? Most sheeple have no issues with their current providers until they begin to look for them.

Obviously this is not the case when there is large service problems.
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:27 AM   #65
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth View Post

already in the Android Sticky as well

B68 | F82 |///M | S55B | NAV | LED | Avant Garde | Toyo Proxes 4
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:28 AM   #66
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 264
Thanks (Received): 184
Likes (Given): 2829
Likes (Received): 1357
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
already in the Android Sticky as well
And it fits into this thread as well.

You posted a tiny article that I passed over actually.

2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Stock Old Man Truck
1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS - Hipster Retro
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:35 AM   #67
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
And it fits into this thread as well.

You posted a tiny article that I passed over actually.
I didn't even see yours I posted it before I left the house this morning, the specs have been known and they are meh if anything

Unread 2011-03-21, 11:37 AM   #68
offensive
No I am NOT a girl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I didn't even see yours I posted it before I left the house this morning, the specs have been known and they are meh if anything
WUT ABOUT THE DEDICATED GPU ZOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Unread 2011-03-21, 11:40 AM   #69
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
WUT ABOUT THE DEDICATED GPU ZOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
Not impressed plus it is Sprint I deal w/ their crap nightly no thanks I wonder if it still has the reboot issues and bugs hmm...

Unread 2011-03-21, 11:42 AM   #70
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

T-Mobile 3G Handsets to Be Rendered Obsolete by AT&T Merger

In case you have been resting under a rock somewhere, AT&T is in the process of buying out T-Mobile and merging the two companies into a singular (no, not Cingular) wireless conglomerate. As part of the deal, AT&T plans to re-purpose all of TMo’s 3G towers for the roll out of their LTE network,which should cover 95 percent of the country within two year’s time. The catch? Your 3G T-Mobile handset will be obsolete when that time comes, as confirmed by AT&T.
Seeing as how far off the problem is there is no news to share as to whether AT&T plans to compensate TMo subscribers locking into new two-year deals, but if you are a fan of magenta it may be wise to consider shorter-term contract options if you plan on picking up a new handset anytime soon.

Unread 2011-03-21, 11:54 AM   #71
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

AT&T Buys T-Mobile (And Why It’s Bad)

\

AT&T has purchased T-Mobile for $39 Billion, immediately making them the largest carrier in the United States. The process could take 12 months to complete, but if and when it does, there could be some pretty crazy implications.

If you take the statements from AT&T and Deutsche Telekom (parent company of T-Mobile) you’ll predictably get bullet points of the positive results stemming from the acquisition:
  • LTE footprint that covers 95% of all Americans (294 million people)
  • Coverage area expands by 46.5 million people from this deal alone
  • Combined base of 130 million customers
That last bullet point is the key: AT&T will immediately leapfrog Verizon as the largest mobile operator in the United States in what will become a two-horse race. Whereas Sprint and T-Mobile previously balanced out the competitive landscape, Sprint will become the odd-man out, the third wheel sitting in the shadow of industry giants.
AT&T customers should enjoy increased coverage and reliability which cannot be ignored, but in my mind this is far outweighed by the potential pitfalls for customers:
  • Less competition means less innovation (T-Mobile USA was the first to launch an Android Phone, a testament to the underdog taking risks whereas the industry giants can afford to play “wait-and-see” or become complacent with their current offerings)
  • Less competition means fewer choices (fewer devices, less service plan variety, etc…)
The story could get worse. Verizon Wireless isn’t ever happy playing second fiddle and they could very likely make a buyout bid for Sprint, meaning most Americans would only have two choices: AT&T or Verizon. That would compound the problems of less innovation and fewer choices. And don’t be fooled by thinking Verizon acquiring Sprint is a pipe dream – it’s a very real possibility.
Just to throw a pipe dream out there, the consolidation of the wireless industry could provide opportunities for third parties to offer pay-as-you-go solutions that license spectrum from AT&T and Verizon. In fact, in a two carrier America, the government could force liberal licensing policies as a requirement for these deals to go through.
You know the “Google Phone” I’ve been wanting? Not the Nexus One. Not the Nexus S. I’m talking about buying a phone from Google that doesn’t include a 2-year contract. Turn it on and it works. While AT&T and Verizon would be fueling the voice and data connectivity, you’d never need a contract from either of them. Pay-as-you-go through a 3rd party. Balance restored (in my pipe dream).
Will the United States allow AT&T to acquire T-Mobile USA? Would they also allow Verizon Wireless to buy Sprint? Where would they draw the line? If the government would allow the former but block the latter, I’d have to imagine Verizon could preemptively make an acquisition offer for Sprint in anticipation that the government would block both deals. That being said, I doubt Sprint would allow for a pubic disclosure of an acquisition if it assumed the deal would be blocked due to anti-competitive reasons – they wouldn’t want to take the blow to consumer confidence.
In my opinion, Deutshce Telecom is the big winner here. They exit a market that hasn’t performed well against the competition yet keep an 8% interest in the new AT&T that, if nothing else, serves as an insurance policy and portfolio diversification. They can go back to the drawing board to pursue their core competencies of European service. Their press release indicates further “innovating” and I know it’s a buzz word, but one you won’t find in discussing the outcome on the AT&T side of things.
If AT&T can import some of T-Mobile’s culture of innovation we may enjoy some unforeseen benefits, but I’m not optimistic. It’s a matter of opinion, but I don’t think AT&T purchasing T-Mobile USA is a good thing for consumers. I think it will stifle innovation, reduce consumer options, and put added pressure on Verizon to continue consolidation that could suffocate competition.
If there is one thing Android has helped prove in the last few years it’s that healthy competition helps accomplish outstanding things. Android leveled the playing field and in 3 short years we’ve seen feature phones all but disappear and smartphones are now the status quo. The carriers each constantly outed new Android devices, pushing each other to raise the bar. If consumers don’t have enough options, carriers will be less motivated to continue progress, and I don’t think anyone wants to go back to the way things were a few years ago.

Unread 2011-03-21, 12:04 PM   #72
babymobilss
Information Police

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 145
Likes (Given): 236
Likes (Received): 818
Dislikes (Given): 34

Great so everyone with T-mobile phones that they typically can sell on ebay/craigslist for $100-200 to offset the cost of a new phone is just a paper weight? Also I assume when they want us T-mobile customers to take the new ATT phone it will be under a new contract with the higher ATT rate plans?
Unread 2011-03-21, 12:05 PM   #73
JDLM
Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymobilss View Post
Great so everyone with T-mobile phones that they typically can sell on ebay/craigslist for $100-200 to offset the cost of a new phone is just a paper weight?
In about 12-18 months it would be (if things all clear w/ the DOJ and FCC)

Unread 2011-03-21, 12:10 PM   #74
babymobilss
Information Police

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 145
Likes (Given): 236
Likes (Received): 818
Dislikes (Given): 34

Quote:
In about 12-18 months it would be (if things all clear w/ the DOJ and FCC)
wouldnt ATT be better off unlocking people phones(that would rather keep phone they have) instead of replacing millions of them?
Unread 2011-03-21, 12:36 PM   #75
FOACAD
الكافر المشرف

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 570
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 3831
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 148

Quote:
I'm not bashing current evo owners btw, as I'm in the same boat, my Galaxy S is old as fuck. But I think it's fucking hilarious if someone was to go out and buy an evo or galaxy s today, knowing they've been out so long.
i heart my i9000, but i went into the voda store the other day and there was a nice shiny nexus s sitting there. against my better judgment i went into the settings to see what they had running on it...

*click*

"2.3.3"

*sigh....*
FOACAD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kansas, merger, seattle, sprint, tmobile