Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-11-15, 12:14 PM   #11051
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 691
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 3964
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

Yeah it's crazy how much microstutter other devices have that you just grow used to. Even the latest s8 was bad. Reset and setup the s8 for the wife after using my pixel was night and day. I'll think you're right...no going back.
Unread 2017-11-15, 09:29 PM   #11052
titaniumSS

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 67
Thanks (Received): 121
Likes (Given): 677
Likes (Received): 721
Dislikes (Given): 6
Dislikes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I got my P2XL Panda 128gb today. UI experience is exactly as I'd expected. Smooth, simple, clean. Device itself is great. I legit cannot believe these display issues people perceive to be such a problem are real concerns from real people. There has to be a more nefarious motive.

Whatever...it got google to offer a 2 year warranty so I guess no skin off my back.
Exactly what I've been saying. I've had mine for about 3 weeks now. The thing is amazing and the battery life is even better than my OG Pixel XL.

titaniumSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-16, 11:19 AM   #11053
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I got my P2XL Panda 128gb today. UI experience is exactly as I'd expected. Smooth, simple, clean. Device itself is great. I legit cannot believe these display issues people perceive to be such a problem are real concerns from real people. There has to be a more nefarious motive.

Whatever...it got google to offer a 2 year warranty so I guess no skin off my back.
So I have seen some videos of people who have multiple models and it looks to be a QC issue. Including the blue shift. One guy showed his original model and replacement model and even head-on you could see the replacement screen was MUCH warmer and its blue shift was more like the rest of the market while his original one got almost monochromatic very quickly. They will sort this out and I would be the second or 3rd runs will be perfect but Google took great risk going with a company that had not done POLED before.

Quote:
Yeah it's crazy how much microstutter other devices have that you just grow used to. Even the latest s8 was bad. Reset and setup the s8 for the wife after using my pixel was night and day. I'll think you're right...no going back.
Yeah that is what happened when I finally went Nexus 5 years ago. I realized that skins were responsible for 90% of peoples complaints about Android. Even today my Nexus 4, while running an older (but not ancient) version of Android still runs incredibly well. It makes a great ipod.
Unread 2017-11-16, 11:22 AM   #11054
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
Gizmodo is some click-baity shit.

I'll wait til some reputable tech reviewers give their opinion before putting much value into their take, considering how their OG Pixel review was.
Yeah this review was hot garbage AND he got a LOT of shit wrong on it. Things corrected in the commends but never edited in the article. Gawker/Gizmodo is more of a click-farm anymore. They like to pretend they are journalists but they are really just bloggers.

Being said, the Verge didnt give them a glowing review and they are always considerably more political about things.
Unread 2017-11-16, 12:37 PM   #11055
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 260
Thanks (Received): 177
Likes (Given): 2798
Likes (Received): 1320
Dislikes (Given): 142
Dislikes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Yeah this review was hot garbage AND he got a LOT of shit wrong on it. Things corrected in the commends but never edited in the article. Gawker/Gizmodo is more of a click-farm anymore. They like to pretend they are journalists but they are really just bloggers.

Being said, the Verge didnt give them a glowing review and they are always considerably more political about things.
Yeah, I was just going to wait to see what people on /r/googlepixel had to say, as well as MKBHD and other's.

Don't really plan to buy them, but I wasn't going to base my opinion on Gizmodo.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-17, 07:51 AM   #11056
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 49
Thanks (Received): 691
Likes (Given): 343
Likes (Received): 3964
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

https://v.redd.it/q8rmjizwdhyz
Unread 2017-11-17, 03:20 PM   #11057
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

New images of Alcatel's leaked top-tier 2018 lineup have appeared

Smartphone leaks are inevitable, no matter who you are. But they usually happen pretty close to a device's launch date, and they're usually only specific to a single product. Last month, much to Alcatel's dismay, serial leaker Evan Blass shared an image of not one but six upcoming Alcatel phones. Now, Blass has shared higher-resolution renders of those same devices.

The flagship Alcatel 5 leads the lineup (above), and it has a pretty small bezel on the chin coupled with a pretty huge one up top. Other than that we can make out that it has a metal unibody, a fingerprint sensor on the rear, and it looks like it might have dual front cameras. That's interesting considering it only has a single main camera on the back.

Clockwise: Alcatel 3V, 3X, and 3.
Confusingly, there are four different models with "3" in the name, including the 3V, 3X, and 3 which you can see above. They appear to made from glass, metal, and glass or plastic, respectively, while the 3V and 3X both have two cameras on the rear. The 3V looks to have a wider aspect ratio than the other two, which seem to be rocking 18:9 displays.

3C and 1.
At the budget end, we have the 3C and 1, which are presumably both made from plastic. Of all these new Alcatel phones, only the 1 doesn't have a fingerprint sensor, so we can assume that will be the cheapest option. It does have the trendy 18:9 aspect ratio, though (2:1, for the pedants out there).
Without any leaked specs or feature lists there's not much else we can say about the new devices. Alcatel appears to be scrapping the Idol branding, which might be a good move if it didn't then come up with four phones all named 3-something. That said, the branding can be changed, so we'll have to wait and see what happens to these devices down the line.

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-11-17, 11:50 PM   #11058
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Report: Samsung’s Galaxy S9 & Note 9 Will Feature Heat Pipes

Samsung will reportedly continue to use heat pipes with its 2018 major smartphone releases, according to a new report out of DigiTimes which in turn credits “sources from upstream supply chain” for the information. While also noting how suppliers of these heat pipes have already started production on the parts.
This is following on from rumors which have suggested Samsung might not include heat pipes in its upcoming phones next year. The main reason given for this is that they just are too expensive for what they are. However, due to the fundamental nature of heat pipes acting as an additional measure to stop a smartphone from overheating, some alternative form of cooling would need to be in place instead. This is where vapor chambers come in. As the report does make it clear that a number of smartphone brands are already testing out vapor chambers with a view to including them in their upcoming models. Although the report also specifies that in spite of the seemingly high interest in this alternative technology, no orders have been placed as of yet. With the suggestion being that 2019 is more likely to be the time when vapor chambers start to show up in smartphones.
While the report points out that vapor chambers will likely be more expensive than heat pipes when they do arrive, this is thought to still be a more appealing option due to their increased ability at dissipating heat. Which inherently will make them much safer options in the long-term. One aspect that is likely to be a factor in the adoption of vapor chambers on smartphones in general, is their size. As these are understood to not quite yet be at the desired size for inclusion in a smartphone without adding bulk. Something which the current report notes vendors are continuously working on improving with signs that the size of vapor chambers is nearing a more smartphone-accommodating level. For reference, Samsung started using heat pipes with the release of its Galaxy S7 (and Edge) smartphone and has since employed heat pipes with each release of its major Galaxy S and Note offerings.

Unread 2017-11-21, 09:30 PM   #11059
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Rumor: Galaxy S9 To Be A “Tock” Release For Samsung

Frequent tipster, Evan Blass (aka @evleaks) has revealed a few snippets of information regarding the upcoming flagship smartphone from Samsung, the Galaxy S9. Mainly, Blass is looking to confirm there will be two models released early next year, the standard Galaxy S9 and the Galaxy S9 Plus (+). The former will be coming with the model number SM-G960 while the latter will sport the SM-G965 model number. Both of which are part of the “Project Star” codenaming.
Much of the information here is sort of already known but one of the points Blass is looking to make is that this will be a “tock” year to the ‘tick’ year that saw the release of the current Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus. In other words, Blass is expecting this to be a significant upgrade compared to this year’s model. At least that is the expectation considering ‘ticks’ are normally associated with a minor upgrade while ‘tocks’ usually refer to new aspects. This is based on the tick-tock model made famous by the likes of Intel and often associated with Apple. Another way of looking at this, is the ‘tick’ releases are usually much more design-focused while the ‘tock’ releases are more hardware-change focused. This could be intepreted as more Galaxy S8-like in design, but with significant hardware changes underneath.
Of course, while this is said to be a tock year for the Galaxy S9, that does not necessarily mean it will be a tock year for Samsung in general. As some of the expectations following the release of the Galaxy Note 8 is that the next Galaxy S models will feature aspects such as dual rear cameras – something that is not present on the current Galaxy S8 models. Although where Samsung could make hardware changes which would make it a tock year overall would be the removal of the headphone jack and/or the inclusion of a fingerprint sensor embedded under the display. Both of which have been aspects that have been rumored to be coming to new smartphones, and likely a number of options which will be released in 2018. So it would make sense that these hardware changes could come through with Samsung’s next flagship offerings. While these are just speculative changes at the moment, Blass does end the tweet by noting “more to come” soon. As for the Galaxy S9 news in general, a new render surfaced earlier today which is said to be of the Galaxy S9 and showing off some of the design aspects of the phone.

Unread 2017-11-21, 09:30 PM   #11060
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Supposed Samsung Galaxy S9 Shown In New Case Renders

A set of renders depicting what’s said to be the Galaxy S9 appeared online earlier today, having been authored by smartphone case manufacturer Ghostek and being based on information that’s said to originate from sources close to Samsung’s component supply chains. The back side of the smartphone is an accurate representation of the final product whereas its top bezel seen in the renders will actually be slightly slimmer, BGR claims, citing industry insiders. The newly uncovered image seen above is understood to be representative of both the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus which should only differ in terms of screen size.
The renders are also in line with recent reports that the back side of the Galaxy S9 lineup will “change a lot” compared to the Galaxy S8 series; the dual-camera setup of Samsung’s upcoming flagship is depicted as featuring vertically arranged sensors that are perfectly centered and reside above a dual-LED (dual-tone) flash unit and a heart rate monitor, with the fingerprint reader being placed beneath the two modules. The shape of the scanner appears to be largely identical to the one found on the Galaxy S8-series devices but the latest renders show the scanner to be positioned horizontally and aren’t the first to do so. The new placement should help users reach the fingerprint reader when using the device in one hand and are likely Samsung’s attempt to address one of the rare complaints directed at its otherwise widely acclaimed Android flagships, provided that the new leak is accurate.
A dedicated Bixby button is depicted as being part of the package but its position doesn’t correspond to recent rumors claiming Samsung will put more space between that key and the volume down button in order to mitigate the chances of users confusing the two. The front side of the handset still appears to feature an Infinity Display panel with curved edges and minimal bezels, with its bottom retaining the USB Type-C port and 3.5mm audio jack found on Samsung’s older high-end offerings. Ghostek itself has a less than stellar track record with Android phone leaks, having previously delivered a relatively accurate depiction of the Galaxy Note 8 prior to its release but failing to do the same with the Galaxy S8. According to recent reports, the Galaxy S9 will sport a 5.8-inch screen, whereas the Galaxy S9 Plus will be equipped with a 6.2-inch module, much like their predecessors. The two Android phablets are expected to launch in early 2018, supposedly in the run-up to the next iteration of MWC.

Unread 2017-11-30, 12:30 PM   #11061
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

A few weeks ago, it was brought to Google’s attention that Android’s hamburger emoji was upside down. It wasn’t always this way but apparently some wires got crossed and the hamburger emoji — which added cheese as part of Android 8.0’s big emoji redesign — wasn’t stacked correctly. To be clear: no human being puts the cheese on the bottom level of a hamburger, just under the meat. It’s just not proper.
When word finally got back to Google about this travesty, CEO Sundar Pichai promised to drop everything and address the issue. Here we are, only a few short weeks later and it looks like the insult has been rectified. In Android 8.1 DP2 — which began rolling out yesterday to those enrolled in the beta — Google took the time to further revise a few of their emoji, including the hamburger which now officially places the cheese above the patty as the good Lord intended. That means once Android 8.1 is finally ready for the general public (rolling out to Nexus/ Pixel devices later this year), all will be right in the world of emoji.

Now, we hate to be pedantic but Google’s hamburger emoji isn’t the only one constructed oddly. It’s worth noting that Apple’s hamburger emoji in iOS places the lettuce at the bottom of the burger. How long before they fix it? The clock is already ticking…

Unread 2017-12-05, 12:20 PM   #11062
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Partial Galaxy S9 Specifications Leak, Snapdragon 845 In Tow

The Galaxy S9 is Samsung’s upcoming flagship, and the device’s partial specs have just surfaced. The Galaxy S9 is not expected to arrive for another couple of months, it will probably launch during the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona next year, or Samsung may opt to host a separate event after MWC, like it did last year. The Galaxy S9 is expected to sport a similar design to the Galaxy S8, though truth be told, we haven’t really seen that many leaks of the phone thus far, at least not legit ones.

Now, in terms of specs, a new image leaked containing some Galaxy S9 spec info, though take this info with a grain of salt, of course. The provided image does not really share all that much info, but it does say that the phone will sport a 5.77-inch display, compared to a 5.8-inch panel that the Galaxy S8 arrived with. In addition to that, you’ll also notice that the Snapdragon 845 is mentioned in this image, which is Qualcomm’s upcoming flagship processor. Now, January 2018 is also mentioned in this image, and that could indicate the arrival timeframe for the Galaxy S8, though it’s unlikely it will be announced next month, even though some reports did suggest that Samsung may be looking to push the device out sooner. In any case, in the provided image, you will also be able to notice that the phone will offer 4G LTE connectivity, Wi-Fi, and so on, though that is a given.
Holiday Gift Guide 2017 – 2018: The Ultimate Smartphone & Tech Gift Guide

Now, the Galaxy S9 will probably be made out of metal and glass, just like its predecessor. The device will almost certainly ship with a rear-facing fingerprint scanner, though Samsung will, hopefully, opt for a more convenient place to put that fingerprint scanner this time around. Some rumors were suggesting that we’ll see an in-display fingerprint scanner in the Galaxy S9, but that almost certainly will not happen as such tech will not be ready until the second half of next year. The Galaxy S9 will include 4GB or 6GB of RAM on the inside, and chances are it will sport a QHD+ Super AMOLED Infinity display, just like its predecessor. The phone will probably utilize two cameras on its back, and its display will be curved on the sides.

Unread 2017-12-06, 02:58 PM   #11063
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Unicode 11.0 Beta Adds Some New Emoji But Removes Old Ones

December 6, 2017 - Written By Joshua Swingle

The Unicode Consortium has released its latest draft of new emoji that could be included in the next Unicode release. As part of the newest list, the set of emoji will adopt the name of Emoji 11.0, instead of the expected Emoji 6.0 name. This is due to alignment issues and the move will bring the latest draft in line with the next Unicode 11.0 standard. The Unicode Consortium has included 130 possible new emoji, which will be revised before the final cut is announced in March, though it will be a few months before the likes of Google include the new emoji in their Android releases.

Looking at the new list, the majority of it is comprised of emoji related to smileys and people, with 82 drafts being included. Among these are hot and cold faces, a drunk face emoji and even puppy eyes. Emoji 11.0 could also be set to include a number of superhero and supervillain emoji. Aside from this, the standard people emoji list looks to have been expanded significantly, with the introduction of redhead emoji and characters with curly hair. Not only this but representing the older-generation is a new set of white-haired emoji, while those who are bald could also be represented if included in the final list. Moving away from the top half of the body, Unicode 11.0 could also introduce legs, feet, bones and teeth emoji. Other additions to the list included a lab coat, goggles, and even hiking boots. The Consortium has also created a new hippopotamus, kangaroo, and mosquito emoji, as well as new bagel, cupcake and mango emoji. Final additions to the list include items ranging from a safety pin and fire extinguisher to a toilet roll and a broom, with other emoji representing random items such as a teddy bear, test tube, and a jigsaw also being included in the list.

The latest emoji draft builds upon the previous one released in August, though it also removes some potential candidates; the sad poo emoji, OK face and the question mark face are no longer included. Nonetheless, emoji that form part of Emoji 11.0 are expected to support different directions, meaning users will be able to send an emoji of a runner going towards either the left or right, while vehicles and a number of other emoji could also support the feature. As the Unicode Consortium confirms, this newly expanded list is simply a draft for now, with the final list set to be chosen in January, though an announcement will not happen until March, and the actual Android release will likely take place in June.

Unread 2017-12-12, 11:14 AM   #11064
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Supposed Galaxy S9 Sketch Reveals The Flagship’s Dimensions

A sketch depicting what’s said to be the Samsung Galaxy S9 appeared online earlier today, having originally been shared on Chinese social media platform Weibo. The image that can be seen above doesn’t reveal many new details about the overall design of the flagship that weren’t already covered by previous leaks and rumors but it does come with supposed dimensions of Samsung’s next premium Android offering. As per the schematics, the Galaxy S9 will be 147.63 x 68.69 x 8.41mm in size, with the exception of the small camera bump area where the handset will be 8.76mm thick. Coupled with recent rumors claiming that the Galaxy S9 will retain the 5.8-inch Supr AMOLED display of the Galaxy S8, it appears that the upcoming device will feature even smaller bezels than its predecessor which measured in at 148.9 x 68.1 x 8mm.

While the leak suggests Samsung’s 2018 offering is set to be slightly thicker than the Galaxy S8, it’s currently unclear whether the difference between the two indicates the Galaxy S9 will have a larger battery than the previous phone which shipped with a 3,000mAh unit. The newly uncovered image does give more credence to recent reports that Samsung is looking to deliver a screen-to-body ratio north of 90 percent with its next flagships, albeit the actual depiction of the device doesn’t seem to fall in line with its dimensions, assuming the Galaxy S9 still has a 5.8-inch screen.

Apart from slimmer bezels and an improved SoC, the Galaxy S9 series isn’t expected to mark a major step forward for Samsung‘s Android offerings and should instead only deliver a refined version of the Galaxy S8 lineup which was already widely praised in almost every aspect. The larger Galaxy S9 Plus is rumored to start at 6GB of RAM as opposed to 4GB and may be the only one to feature a dual-camera setup, with both phones being said to sport fingerprint sensors beneath their cameras instead of next to them so as to address one of the rare complaints consumers had about the previous two flagships. The Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus are expected to launch by early spring, presumably around the time MWC 2018 starts in late February.

Unread 2017-12-14, 01:50 PM   #11065
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Galaxy S9’s Alleged Front Panel Leaks, Thin Bezels In Tow

The Samsung Galaxy S9 will arrive in the first half of next year, and the phone’s front panel has just surfaced. If you take a look at the provided image, you’ll be able to see the alleged Galaxy S9 front panel. As you can see, this front panel resembles the Galaxy S8’s front panel quite a bit, though its bezels seems to be ever so slightly thinner, although it’s very hard to notice, as they seems quite similar, actually. The display of the Galaxy S9 will sport rounded corners yet again, it seems, and the phone’s front camera will be placed on the right side of the phone’s earpiece, as a cutout for the front camera is clearly visible here.

Now, this front panel also suggests that the Galaxy S9’s display will be curved, which is exactly what we’re expecting, as the display of both the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus was curved as well. The sides of the Galaxy S9 will be slightly less rounded than the ones on the Galaxy S9, which is something that is also noticeable by looking at this front panel. That’s pretty much everything we can deduct from this image, though it’s worth saying that the alleged Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus handsets have surfaced yesterday, well, renders of those two devices, and in renders, it seemed like the bezels on the Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will be much thinner, though chances are that this front panel is legit. The Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will sport thin bezels, but only slightly thinner than the ones on the Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus, as the bezels on the renders that surfaced yesterday are basically non-existent, and that’s probably not doable just yet.

The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will almost certainly land in the first half of next year, either during the Mobile World Congress (MWC) in Barcelona, or at the company’s separate event which will take place in April. The Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus will be made out of metal, just like its predecessors, and the two devices will ship with a rear-facing fingerprint scanner, though that fingerprint scanner will be placed in a more convenient place this time around. A dual camera setup is rumored for both devices, and you can expect to get Android Oreo out of the box, along with Samsung’s skin, of course. The two phones will probably ship with 5.8 and 6.2-inch panels, respectively, and you can expect to see Samsung’s QHD+ Super AMOLED infinity display once again on both of these devices.

Unread 2017-12-14, 01:51 PM   #11066
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Samsung Scraps Galaxy S9 Prototype With Smaller Bezels: Rumor

Samsung scrapped the Galaxy s9 prototype with significantly reduced bezels, an industry insider from China said earlier today, having also provided the image seen above that’s meant to depict the difference between the experimental device and the handset that’s now set to be commercialized next year. The phone on the left appears to correspond to recent rumors claiming that Samsung’s upcoming Android flagship duo will have a screen-to-body ratio of over 90 percent and additionally reduce the already minimal bezels found on the Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8 Plus. The other unit is understood to be representative of the Galaxy S9’s final design and appears to have a screen-to-body ratio of approximately 85 percent that’s nearly identical to the one of the Galaxy S8 which amounted to just over 83 percentage points.

The leaked render also indicates that Samsung’s next pair of high-end smartphones won’t have corners that are as aggressively rounded as the ones found on the Galaxy S8 lineup, with the handset appearing to be more reminiscent of the Galaxy Note 8 which was more blocky than the company’s previous two premium offerings. The same source also reiterated older reports about the lack of an in-screen fingerprint reader, suggesting that the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus will once again feature rear-mounted scanners, albeit they’re rumored to be located beneath the handsets’ camera setups instead of next to them.

The South Korean phone maker was already said to be preparing an incremental upgrade of the Galaxy S8 formula for next spring, whereas a more radical change to the world’s most popular Android device series isn’t expected until 2019 and the Galaxy S10 family. The rear panel of the upcoming devices is said to be the area that will feature the most changes compared to the Galaxy S8; apart from the aforementioned fingerprint sensor placement, the handsets are also thought to be featuring vertical dual-camera setups instead of horizontally arranged lenses like the ones found on the Galaxy Note 8. The Seoul-based tech giant is expected to officially announce the Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus around late winter as the flagships should follow the approximate annual release patterns of their predecessors and become commercially available by spring.

Unread 2017-12-14, 02:23 PM   #11067
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2498
Likes (Received): 1687
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Just received my Essential PH-1. So far, I love it. It has been operating very smoothly and the hardware is absolutely top notch. It feels very solidly build and looks great. It sounds like there were a decent amount of issues when it was first released (especially in the Camera department) but as far as my experience goes, it has been ironed out. It is operating like a flagship phone ought to.

I am opting into the Oreo beta so I can get back onto 8.0.

Pretty interested in the attachments they're planning on releasing for it (though I may not purchase any... just depends on what they have and whether it's worth it or gimmicky).

Last edited by Keboh; 2017-12-14 at 02:34 PM..
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-14, 03:07 PM   #11068
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the 8.1 update on my Pixel 1, love the dark app drawer and pull-down menu, wish Google would just make it an option to toggle on your own.

Unread 2017-12-14, 04:35 PM   #11069
MountainDew

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 282
Thanks (Received): 172
Likes (Given): 387
Likes (Received): 807
Dislikes (Given): 344
Dislikes (Received): 89

Quote:
Just got the 8.1 update on my Pixel 1, love the dark app drawer and pull-down menu, wish Google would just make it an option to toggle on your own.
Still nothing on my Pixel XL. Still on Nov 5 security patches too..
Unread 2017-12-14, 04:38 PM   #11070
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Just received my Essential PH-1. So far, I love it. It has been operating very smoothly and the hardware is absolutely top notch. It feels very solidly build and looks great. It sounds like there were a decent amount of issues when it was first released (especially in the Camera department) but as far as my experience goes, it has been ironed out. It is operating like a flagship phone ought to.

I am opting into the Oreo beta so I can get back onto 8.0.

Pretty interested in the attachments they're planning on releasing for it (though I may not purchase any... just depends on what they have and whether it's worth it or gimmicky).

I had high hopes for companies like OnePlus, and Essential but due to the Samsungs, and the LGs and the HTCs of the smartphone world ..they have a huge uphill battle

Unread 2017-12-14, 04:44 PM   #11071
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDew View Post
Still nothing on my Pixel XL. Still on Nov 5 security patches too..
It's a slow roll-out, I'm sure you'll have yours by the weekend.

It's funny to me getting as antsy as I was waiting for it, then remembering the updates I dealt with on the late Moto X line, etc. Once I thought about that I chilled out a little.

Unread 2017-12-14, 04:45 PM   #11072
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
I had high hopes for companies like OnePlus, and Essential but due to the Samsungs, and the LGs and the HTCs of the smartphone world ..they have a huge uphill battle
They also don't support CDMA, and that's the only reason I never bought one.

OnePlus that is.

Unread 2017-12-14, 04:46 PM   #11073
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 252
Likes (Given): 2498
Likes (Received): 1687
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLM View Post
Oh, absolutely.

I hope they make it though, because I am super happy with the phone. They did a great job.

Honestly, I wouldn't have gotten it if Sprint wasn't running a special... $30 down and $5/mo was too good to pass up.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-12-14, 04:51 PM   #11074
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
They also don't support CDMA, and that's the only reason I never bought one.

OnePlus that is.

Yeah that was a cost cutting measure by OPO IMO: CDMA isn't a technology that is too prevalent in other countries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
Oh, absolutely.

I hope they make it though, because I am super happy with the phone. They did a great job.

Honestly, I wouldn't have gotten it if Sprint wasn't running a special... $30 down and $5/mo was too good to pass up.

Yeah I am a HUGE Andy Rubin fan as well as rooting for the little guy

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Keboh liked this post
Unread 2017-12-14, 05:05 PM   #11075
JDLM
╭∩╮(Ο_Ο)╭∩╮

Post Thanks / Like

Galaxy S9 Render Fixes Our Biggest Gripe With 2017’s Galaxy Lineup

We aren’t sure when Samsung intends to unveil next year’s Galaxy S9, and reports that it will make an appearance at next month’s CES still don’t quite jive with us, but what we do know is that it is coming. As we see year over year, leaks get more frequent as we draw closer to something official, with the latest leak offering unofficial renders detailing the hardware design as well as a few specs.
On the Galaxy S8, S8+, and Note 8, one of our biggest gripes was the placement of the rear-facing fingerprint reader. To us, it just didn’t work, being off to the side of the camera instead of in the middle like on many other devices. According to these factory CAD-based renders, though, Samsung has heard our cries and will place the reader underneath the rear camera, aligning with reports that claimed this would be the case.
Besides the fingerprint reader movement, the overall design looks very similar to 2017’s Galaxy lineup. On the front there is a reported 5.65″ Infinity display, Type-C port on the bottom, bottom-facing speaker, 3.5mm headphone jack (yes!), and obviously, a single rear-facing camera. Keep in mind, it is reported that the Galaxy S9+ could have a dual rear-facing camera setup, ending Samsung’s approach of having the Plus device being just a larger option to the base Galaxy S device.
We have the renders above, plus the complete 360-degree video, too.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly.

Video URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsKSWulgeQs

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo