Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-10-04, 10:10 PM   #10976
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Google's Pixel 2 headphone adapter costs $20, and a part of your soul

Wait. What. Why.
Good news, everyone! The Pixel 2 (and Pixel 2 XL) don't have a headphone jack. Instead, you'll use USB-C.
Oh. You wanted a headphone jack. OK, well GOOD NEWS, EVERYONE! There's a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter in the box.
Just don't lose it, because a new one costs $20 from Google.
Unread 2017-10-04, 10:52 PM   #10977
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 700
Likes (Given): 362
Likes (Received): 4005
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

I'm buying a pixel 2 XL. Why? Because reasons.
Likes 6-Bolt2g liked this post
Scooby24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:24 AM   #10978
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 255
Likes (Given): 2553
Likes (Received): 1714
Dislikes (Given): 24
Dislikes (Received): 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
So who is getting the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2XL? If so, why?
I'll probably get the 2, even though no 3.5 and it looks like it was designed in 2015. Why? the XL2 is too big and Native Android.
Keboh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:25 AM   #10979
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 264
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 2827
Likes (Received): 1354
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keboh View Post
I'll probably get the 2, even though no 3.5 and it looks like it was designed in 2015. Why? the XL2 is too big and Native Android.
I honestly don't mind the bezels on my OG Pixel non-XL. My only complaint was them being there but not utilizing dual stereo speakers, which are now on the Pixel 2, so no big deal IMO.

/r/android has such an anti-bezel stance it's hilarious watching them talk shit on the Pixel 2, just like the OG one.

2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Stock Old Man Truck
1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS - Hipster Retro
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 08:33 AM   #10980
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
I honestly don't mind the bezels on my OG Pixel non-XL. My only complaint was them being there but not utilizing dual stereo speakers, which are now on the Pixel 2, so no big deal IMO.

/r/android has such an anti-bezel stance it's hilarious watching them talk shit on the Pixel 2, just like the OG one.
I had the S8 for a week... the software was god-awful and it wasn't possible for me to live with it. However the hardware very fast, so gorgeous.

I look at my phone for literally hours every day. I want it to look attractive. Right now, bezelless is the new thing, so if you still have giant bezels, it looks dated. The extra screen real-estate also lowers the footprint of the entire phone, screensize-for-screensize, which is awesome.

The Pixel 2 has the same size screen as the Pixel 1, but has a larger overall footprint. They made the fucking phone bigger. WTF Google?!
Unread 2017-10-05, 09:09 AM   #10981
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I had the S8 for a week... the software was god-awful and it wasn't possible for me to live with it. However the hardware very fast, so gorgeous.

I look at my phone for literally hours every day. I want it to look attractive. Right now, bezelless is the new thing, so if you still have giant bezels, it looks dated. The extra screen real-estate also lowers the footprint of the entire phone, screensize-for-screensize, which is awesome.

The Pixel 2 has the same size screen as the Pixel 1, but has a larger overall footprint. They made the fucking phone bigger. WTF Google?!
I'm basically in the same boat with the S8. I have the S8...it's a good phone but it does have microstuters, bixby blows, and of course updates are slow. I'm still on 7.0....not even 7.1. There are redundant samsung apps to the google apps and unless I go through and start disabling the samsung stuff I get all kinds of notifications that I don't want or care about. It just feels like Samsung and Google are competing for the machine learning/AI stuff...and on a device like this I don't want both sets of software competing on the same phone. Google is my preference so that's the direction I'm going.

Literally couldn't care less about 3.5 jack...I have bluetooth headphones and when I need to connect quickly without bluetooth I'll just keep the USB adapter connected to my wired earbuds in my travel bag. No biggie there.

Wireless charging is okay to have...but I only use it in my truck with its Qi charger and it's pretty darn slow (20% in an hour)

The size isn't a problem for me. I had the 6P before and it was taller and wider than the P2XL. If they'd removed the bezels on the P2, I probably would have gotten that. I don't really care about the size of the bezel's aesthetically, i just want the most screen real estate for the body. I travel fairly often and watch a lot of netflix movies/shows on the plane and don't want to have to hold the phone up to my face to watch anything.

Last edited by Scooby24; 2017-10-05 at 09:45 AM..
Unread 2017-10-05, 09:17 AM   #10982
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL have USB-C digital audio, so your third-party USB-C headphones need to support that too

.adslot_ap2_above_post_body { margin: 10px -10px; } @media (min-width: 540px) { .adslot_ap2_above_post_body { margin: 10px -20px; } } @media (min-width: 768px) { .adslot_ap2_above_post_body { margin: 10px -15px; } } @media (min-width: 960px) { .adslot_ap2_above_post_body { margin: 10px -20px; } } @media (min-width: 1160px) { .adslot_ap2_above_post_body { margin: 10px -30px; } }

USB-C was supposed to be this savior of all ports, a be-all-end-all of sorts, but so far, I'm honestly lost with the acronyms. USB-C, 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.2, USB-C PD, VESA DisplayPort Alternate Mode, USB SuperSpeed+, and so on... It's becoming increasingly impossible to tell what each one means and what you need to have on your device to make sure it supports fast charging, fast data transfers, external displays, and audio playback.
Here's one more for you to worry about: Digital Audio. If you want your Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL to play music on your third-party USB-C headphones, you need to make sure those support digital audio. (As opposed to what? I don't know, and I'm honestly not too keen on spending 3 hours looking into that. I'm sure commenters will answer this quickly.) The same goes for third-party USB-C to 3.5mm adapters: they need to support USB-C digital audio too.
Here is a handy list put together by Googler Orrin of all verified third-party headphones compatible with the new Pixel 2 phones:
  • Google Pixel Buds
  • Libratone QAdapt In-Ear USB-C - Storm/Cloud
  • Libratone QAdapt Over-Ear BT - Storm/Cloud
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular MFG1 Preset (USB-C)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular MFG2 Preset (USB-C)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular MFG3 Preset (USB-C)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular MFG4 Preset (USB-C)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular MFG5 Preset (USB-C)
  • AiAiAi H60 - Bluetooth headband MFG
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular Wireless MFG6 Preset (Bluetooth)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular Wireless MFG7 Preset (Bluetooth)
  • AiAiAi TMA-2 Modular Wireless MFG8 Preset (Bluetooth)
  • Monster® Clarity HD™ On-Ear Bluetooth Headphones - Black/Gunmetal/Red
  • Monster® Elements Wireless Over-Ear Headphones - Rose Gold/Black Platinum/Black Slate
  • Monster® Elements Wireless On-Ear Headphones - Rose Gold/Black Platinum/Black Slate
  • Master & Dynamic ME05 Earphones brass with black chrome finish (USB-C)
  • Master & Dynamic ME05 Earphones brass with Palladium finish (USB-C)
  • Master & Dynamic MH30 Earphones Black Or Silver (USB-C)
  • Master & Dynamic MH40 Earphones Black Or Silver (USB-C)
  • Master & Dynamic MH50 Earphones Black Or Silver (USB-C/Bluetooth)
  • Master & Dynamic MH60 Earphones Black Or Silver (USB-C/Bluetooth)
Of course the list is limited to Made by/for Google headphones, and you shouldn't technically have any issues with any Bluetooth headphones so their inclusion in this list isn't necessary. But at least you know where to get started if you wanted USB-C headphones that are guaranteed to work with your new Pixel 2/2 XL.
Unread 2017-10-05, 09:19 AM   #10983
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm basically in the same boat with the S8. I have the S8...it's a good phone but it does have microstuters, bixby blows, and of course updates are slow. I'm still on 7.0....not even 7.1. There are redundant samsung apps to the google apps and unless I go through and start disabling the samsung stuff I get all kinds of notifications that I don't want or care about. It just feels like Samsung and Google are competing for the machine learning/AI stuff...and on a device like there I don't want both sets of software competing on the same phone. Google is my preference so that's the direction I'm going.

Literally couldn't care less about 3.5 jack...I have bluetooth headphones and when I need to connect quickly without bluetooth I'll just keep the USB adapter connected to my wired earbuds in my travel bag. No biggie there.

Wireless charging is okay to have...but I only use it in my truck with its Qi charger and it's pretty darn slow (20% in an hour)

The size isn't a problem for me. I had the 6P before and it was taller and wider than the P2XL. If they'd removed the bezels on the P2, I probably would have gotten that. I don't really care about the size of the bezel's aesthetically, i just want the most screen real estate for the body. I travel fairly often and watch a lot of netflix movies/shows on the plane and don't want to have to hold the phone up to my face to watch anything.
I get that the 3.5mm jack is sort of polarizing, some people don't care and to some it's a huge deal... to me it's a huge deal. I am at the gym/working out 5+ days a week and bluetooth headphones just don't cut it for a couple reasons:

1) the plugs on the cardio machines are 3.5 only and no BT capabilities
2) BT headphones are either over ear (not good for sweating in or staying on while running), ear buds with the neck loop (batteries on the buds themselves fall out of my ears when running and don't fit under motorcycle helmets well), or have the piece that lays on your neck and the buds come out of it which I've never tried but doesn't look comfortable to run with
3) carrying an adapter around is annoying as hell. I lived with an iPhone 7 for 8 months and it was a constant annoyance to me

However, a lot of people don't ride motorcycles or work out as much as me/have those issues while working out and BT works for them. If it weren't for that, I'd embrace BT and wouldn't care about the jack.

Size, I am a small person and my jeans are somewhat tight, so big phones simply don't fit in my pockets well. the iPhone 7/Nexus 5x/Samsung S8 (recent phones of mine) are the absolute limit in size for me, so anything I can do to shrink the phone (ex. smaller bezels) is better. Also, big screens are two hand jobs for me, and I like being able to operate a phone one handed.

Both of these are my personal preference, and I totally see how someone would prefer the opposite. But I've found that they significantly impact my experience when using a phone.

I agree about wireless charging. It doesn't really do anything for me... it has no actual benefit over plugging it in, IMO. In fact, I plug my phone in and use it when it has low battery a lot. Wireless charging doesn't have that capability.

Last edited by Keboh; 2017-10-05 at 09:23 AM..
Unread 2017-10-05, 10:07 AM   #10984
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:

1) the plugs on the cardio machines are 3.5 only and no BT capabilities
2) BT headphones are either over ear (not good for sweating in or staying on while running), ear buds with the neck loop (batteries on the buds themselves fall out of my ears when running and don't fit under motorcycle helmets well), or have the piece that lays on your neck and the buds come out of it which I've never tried but doesn't look comfortable to run with
3) carrying an adapter around is annoying as hell. I lived with an iPhone 7 for 8 months and it was a constant annoyance to me
Just feedback on number two since that's all I can really respond to

First option I've got no solution for...I don't do the cardio machines with video...I just row or do stair stepper with music only.

2) Jaybird freedoms may be what you're referencing with the bluetooth/battery device on the neck strap and it includes cord ties so that it keeps the cord off your neck. It goes against your head and they are awesome. They won't fall out at all and sound fantastic. I virtually forget they are in. However, I'm not sure how that would work under a helmet.

This is how they fit

The adapter won't be an annoyance for me personally since my wired headphones I only ever use connected to my cell phone. The adapter can stay connected to them 100% as an extension of the headphones.
Likes Keboh liked this post
Unread 2017-10-05, 10:12 AM   #10985
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

They're kinda pricey, but they do look very nice.

I'm probably going to end up getting the Pixel 2 and just bitch about the lack of the 3.5 jack... we'll see. I'm also keeping an eye on the Nokia 8 though, which does have the jack. I haven't made my decision yet.
Unread 2017-10-05, 10:16 AM   #10986
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

I know personally I need to get back to stock/pure Android ..if my Nexus 5 didn't die a week or so before the Pixel 1, I don't think I would want to slam my LG G5 into a wall all the time
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 10:38 AM   #10987
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 264
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 2827
Likes (Received): 1354
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

Noticed battery hasn't been QUITE as good on Oreo, that and I got bored and dark themed my phone and such.

Reading on /r/googlepixel, probably going to just do a factory reset and start fresh on Oreo since 90% of my stuff will come right back over anyway.

2007 GMC Sierra Crew Cab - Stock Old Man Truck
1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2018 Kawasaki Z900RS - Hipster Retro
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-10-05, 11:36 AM   #10988
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Iphone vs Pixel
Unread 2017-10-05, 11:39 AM   #10989
6-Bolt2g

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 457
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby24 View Post
I'm buying a pixel 2 XL. Why? Because reasons.
Same here. It will be a nice upgrade from my Nexus 6P. It will be sad to leave the community (dozens of us) but it's time.

cliff notes; that was a jab at the 6P due to it's plague of battery issues, screen issues, speaker issues, bootloops blah blah blah.
Unread 2017-10-06, 09:28 PM   #10990
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

[Update: Bluetooth 4.2, AAC] Google Pixel Buds charge over USB-C, can use Assistant and do real-time translation for $159

Corbin is a Chrome extension developer and hobbyist web developer, with a passion for writing about all kinds of tech.

Now that Google's phones are ditching the headphone jack, it only makes sense that the company wants to sell you some expensive Bluetooth earbuds. At the press event today, Google announced the 'Pixel Buds', a pair of earbuds with Assistant built-in.
Unlike Apple's AirPods, the Pixel Buds still have a cable running between the two earbuds, so it's not completely cordless. However, Google has built an Apple-like pairing solution into Assistant. If you have a phone running Android 7.0 Nougat or higher, just pop open the charging case and your phone will automatically detect them and prompt you to pair.
When you hold down on the right earbud, Google Assistant will activate, giving you instant access to music playback and other functionality without taking out your phone. The charging case can provide up to 24 hours of battery life, and the Buds have up to 5 hours on its own. The case also has a Type-C connector for charging, so you don't have to bring another USB cable along.
One unique feature of the Pixel Buds is integration with Google Translate. You can ask Assistant something like, "Help me speak Italian," and your phone's speaker will play the translation out loud as you talk. Once the other person starts talking, the translation of their words will be played on the Buds. Google showed a demo of this on stage, and besides having to hold down on the Buds while talking, it was pretty much seamless. Note that this feature only works on the Pixel and Pixel 2.
You can buy the Pixel Buds in Just Black, Clearly White, and Kinda Blue. You'll need a device with Android 5.0 or higher (or iOS 10+) to use the Buds as a Bluetooth headset, and Android 6.0+ to use it with Assistant. You can buy it from the Google Store at the source link below.

Update: 2017/10/06 6:04pm PDT Since Google did not specify the Bluetooth version (such as 5.0, 4.2, or something earlier) or the codec used, and there's some confusion out there, we reached out to the press team and confirmed the following:
  • Bluetooth 4.2, not 5.0
  • AAC codec
So there you have it. While the Pixel 2 and 2 XL do support BT 5.0, the Pixel Buds don't.
Unread 2017-10-10, 09:37 AM   #10991
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Essential Phone to pick up Oreo, fingerprint gestures, Night Mode, lag fixes and more in coming OTAs

While it’s far from perfect, I’ve been enjoying my time with the Essential Phone over the past several weeks quite a bit. Despite the stock Android build, though, the experience hasn’t been perfect, and Essential has been working hard to fix it. In its latest Reddit AMA today, the company answered quite a few burning questions from fans, so let’s take a look at some of the highlights.

In case you weren’t aware, Essential is kicking off a bi-weekly AMA on the Essential sub-reddit which started a few days ago (via Droid-Life). These sessions will be hosted by members of the Essential team and are meant to answer some of the biggest questions on the minds of Essential Phone owners. Here are some of the biggest answers given last week.
Oreo is in testing, will arrive ‘in several weeks’ with a beta

The best part of shipping with stock Android is quick updates, and Essential is certainly working to bring that to its users. According to this AMA, the builds are in progress and the company wants to have a public beta available in a few weeks ahead of a global release.
…our QA team is in the process of testing Android Oreo as we speak to insure there are no regressions on the device. We are making great progress and target to have public beta available here within several weeks that you can try out before we release globally. We will make sure to publicly announce as soon as the Beta is available.
Night mode will arrive with Oreo, and fingerprint gestures are coming

One of the main complaints I had in my Essential Phone review was a lack of the “little things” that made the software experience complete, two of those being night mode and fingerprint gestures. Thankfully, both of these are coming soon.
[Night mode] depends on HWC2 which wasn’t ready for this chipset in the N timeframe. Good news though, you’ll have it in O (I love this feature too!) [Fingerprint gestures are] in progress but didn’t make it into today’s OTA. We’re targeting the next one.

A fix for that stuttering issue is in the works

One of the things I’ve noticed on my Essential Phone unit since the review is a weird issue with stuttering. Apparently, I’m not the only one, and the company is working to fix it in a coming update.
yes we are aware of the issue related to the display touch and have a patch from Qualcomm we are testing internally. I saw the fix in action literally yesterday and the improvement is night and day. I think you guys will be really happy with it. Our plan is to get this out in one of the next upcoming OTA updates releasing a few weeks. Stay tuned!
…it is related to touch jitter, in part coming from non-uniformity of the coordinates getting fed into the upper layers. This device has in-cell touch, which improves noise immunity overall and makes the display thinner, but is requiring some extra tweaking to get things just right. The fix to the slow scrolling jitter is the first of several touch improvements we are working on, but we’ll be rolling them out one at a time as soon as they are ready
Apparently, mods don’t work properly with a skin

The ceramic back of the Essential Phone is gorgeous, but it picks up little scratches pretty easily. That’s caused many, myself included, to pick up a skin. Apparently, however, a skin can cause the 360-degree camera to work improperly because it causes too much feedback with the signal being sent.
The wireless connection with the 360 camera won’t work with a skin…The skin causes too much signal reflection with the 60Ghz signal we use to transmit the data.
The (gorgeous) white model is shipping soon, other still in development

During my first hands-on with the Essential Phone, I got the chance to play with the white variant of the phone, and I still maintain that it’s the best-looking color by far. Unfortunately, it wasn’t ready to ship at launch, but the company is finally preparing to ship that color in the next week or so. As for the “Ocean Depths” and “Stellar Grey” models, they’re still a ways off.
We are planning on sending out the letters for those who reserved white by the end of the week. The units are already built. Because of the holiday in China, customs may be backed up a few days. Ocean depths and Stellar Grey are under development.

You can check out the full AMA over on Reddit for a few more answers, and we’ll continue to keep an eye on these whenever they’re hosted for more new information about the Essential Phone.
Unread 2017-10-10, 08:56 PM   #10992
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Googlers Explain The Pixel 2’s Lack Of A 3.5mm Audio Jack

Several Googlers took to the company’s official Product Forums earlier this week to explain the fact that the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL lack a traditional 3.5mm audio jack and indirectly defend the tech giant’s decision to eliminate this popular port. Google community manager Orrin Hancock referred to the USB Type-C port as a headphone jack and said that the Mountain View, California-based firm opted to do away with the older standard in order to provide consumers with a superior listening experience. The same Googler also directly related the elimination of the 3.5mm audio jack with a “move towards a bezel-less future,” implying that creating a bezel-free device would at the very least be harder to do while keeping the 3.5mm audio port.
In response to some users who were complaining about a scenario in which they wouldn’t be able to simultaneously charge their device and listen to music, Google’s employees suggested they either use dongles or switch to Bluetooth earbuds or headphones. Critics remain adamant that Google could have found the space for a 3.5mm audio jack on the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, especially since the original Pixel devices featured both openings. The vocal portion of consumers who are unhappy with the company’s product design decision are also quick to point out its mockery of Apple from last year when it introduced the Pixel and Pixel XL with a tagline “3.5mm audio jack – satisfyingly not new.” Exactly one year later, Google unveiled a pair of devices lacking the very same port while still taking a dig at Apple and its decision to fragmentize the 2017 iPhone lineup in terms of features.
The Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL also ship without headphones of any kind, though they’ll be bundled with a USB Type-C dongle that will allow users to connect their 3.5mm headphones to the handsets. Those who happen to lose their accessories will have to pay at least $20 for a certified replacement and it’s currently unclear how long could such adapters maintain their price points. The latest Pixel devices are presently available for pre-orders and will start shipping on October 19, Google confirmed on Wednesday.
Unread 2017-10-11, 07:08 AM   #10993
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Ill never buy the excuses for removing the headphone jack, or at least having some sort of secondary port specifically for audio (whatever it may be). They can claim bezels but neither of the new phones are bezeless and the regular pixel is bezelfull, its massive.

And all you have to do is add .1mm to the thickness of a phone and you can fit all of that in with the advantage of a larger battery too. Ive never heard anyone brag about their phone being .1mm thinner than someone elses. And then you can also get rid of stupid camera bumps too.
Unread 2017-10-11, 08:22 AM   #10994
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

for awhile there it seemed like a race to see who could be the smallest (well w/ some of the brands)
Unread 2017-10-11, 08:25 AM   #10995
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Stewart View Post
Ill never buy the excuses for removing the headphone jack, or at least having some sort of secondary port specifically for audio (whatever it may be). They can claim bezels but neither of the new phones are bezeless and the regular pixel is bezelfull, its massive.

And all you have to do is add .1mm to the thickness of a phone and you can fit all of that in with the advantage of a larger battery too. Ive never heard anyone brag about their phone being .1mm thinner than someone elses. And then you can also get rid of stupid camera bumps too.

I remember the argument was 'well you can't make it waterproof with a 3.5'... that was accomplished. 'but the phones can now be made thinner without the 3.5', again, the difference seems to be .1mm in thickness as to what they're talking about. Now they're saying 'we can't have the 3.5 and make it bezelless' but Samsung and LG seem to have found a way to make very minimal bezels (nothing larger than what comes with the Pixel 2 or XL2) and still include the 3.5 jack.

Don't try and be Apple, Google. You're better than that.
Unread 2017-10-11, 08:35 AM   #10996
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
I remember the argument was 'well you can't make it waterproof with a 3.5'... that was accomplished. 'but the phones can now be made thinner without the 3.5', again, the difference seems to be .1mm in thickness as to what they're talking about. Now they're saying 'we can't have the 3.5 and make it bezelless' but Samsung and LG seem to have found a way to make very minimal bezels (nothing larger than what comes with the Pixel 2 or XL2) and still include the 3.5 jack.

Don't try and be Apple, Google. You're better than that.
That's EXACTLY what they are trying to be.

The launched with an exclusive carrier like Apple did
They are focusing on development of an ecosystem of products
Rather than try to tout the hardware specs as revolutionary they are looking at the software platform and camera aspects of the phone
Even their presentation screamed Apple (we've even got a few surprises!)

I think they tried to be different with the nexus line and while it had its own successes, they also had some major failures and bringing the design in house and targeting the Apple customer with the same strategy that sold them on Apple is a better chance of bringing them over.

I've joined every subreddit for each of my last 5 phones and the pixel brand seems to be attracting the most "I have an iphone, should I get the pixel" type of discussions I've seen yet.

Samsung is the next closest but they are running competing ecosystems on the same phone (google and samsung solutions for the same tasks) and the experience just isn't the same...not to mention the constant back and forth samsung and iphone owners have...they view each other as the enemy I think.

Pixel is the new, fresh alternative that doesn't have any bad reputations yet because their first phone was, for all intents and purposes, the perfect android alternative to the iphone.
Unread 2017-10-11, 08:40 AM   #10997
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

I think that they are trying to mimic Apple like Scooby said, they tried earlier w/ the purchase of Motorola and that didn't seem to work out they way that they had planned now they essentially grabbed "The Pixel Team" so there ya go their foot is in the door in manufacturing. Google/Apple always seem to copy and go back and forth with one another rather it be in hardware or software.
Unread 2017-10-11, 09:02 AM   #10998
Keboh

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I totally agree; on a more macro level, they're both attempting to provide a full ecosystem.

I meant I don't want Google to buy into what Apple is doing, but rather to do their own thing. Apple is busy playing the copy game to keep up with Android. I don't want Google to fall into the trap of trying to copy Apple, rather than focusing on innovation.
Unread 2017-10-11, 12:15 PM   #10999
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is these are really nothing more than the Nexus line with somewhat better marketing and branding. Otherwise its still just warmed over hardware from a 3rd party manufacturer. Sure Google puts a different skin on it (which is very much patterned after HTC/Apple) but they arent going to ever take on Apple.

And the headphone jack isnt a spec, its a feature. That stupid .1mm is a spec. And the idea of not being able to waterproof a headphone jack is pretty silly since devices have had those for some time now (even before smartphones). Waterproofing a 4 contact 3.5mm jack is a hell of a lot simpler than waterproofing speakers or a USBc port.
Unread 2017-10-11, 12:20 PM   #11000
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Now that Google has bought the Pixel team away from HTC do you think the "warmed over Nexus" comment/feeling will change?

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo, pie