Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Computers, Teh Interweb, Gaming, Electronics

Unread 2017-05-31, 01:44 PM   #10826
Squeaky192

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 262
Thanks (Received): 183
Likes (Given): 2817
Likes (Received): 1342
Dislikes (Given): 143
Dislikes (Received): 70

Also, I like how that article claims using adapters for headphones is the future and we'll have to deal with it. K.

1998 Volvo V70 - I can't get away from them.
1971 Camaro Z28 RS - "Barn Find" -LS/4L80/Strange 9" Restomod Beater
2012 Triumph Speed Triple R - Trouble Maker
Squeaky192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-31, 03:00 PM   #10827
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

I am leaning toward bluetooth 5 being the future as seen on the Galaxy S8/S8+

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-05-31, 03:00 PM   #10828
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The Essential Phone will work on all four major U.S. carriers, for the most part (Update: AT&T response)

Update (5/31): AT&T has provided Android Authority with an official comment on the Essential Phone:

We have been and continue to be open to any customer bringing compatible devices to our network. We will be able to comment more on the level of compatibility at the phone’s launch.
Original post (5/30): Earlier today, Android creator Andy Rubin officially marked his return to the smartphone scene with the Essential Phone, which features a unique take on a big screen and powerful internals. As for whether the phone plays nice with all four major U.S. carriers, Essential promises that it does, but there seem to be some caveats with such a statement.

Starting with Verizon, a company spokesperson said that while the Essential phone will work on the network, no promises were made about the experience one might have to get the phone to work. The spokesperson did not say whether Big Red will carry the Essential phone in any capacity.
While the phone might work on Verizon, we can’t promise the same experience and quality of service as devices that have been tested and approved for use on our network.
T-Mobile issued a more optimistic comment to the outlet, but it sounds as if the carrier will not directly offer the Essential Phone to customers.
We’re excited for Andy Rubin and his team (the device looks amazing), and welcome customers purchasing Essential to bring it to the fastest and most advanced 4G LTE in the country through our BYOD program. We’ll have more to share closer to general availability in terms of what advanced network features might be available to Essential.

Sprint also confirmed the Essential phone will work on its network. Similarly to T-Mobile, however, we will have to wait a bit to hear which of Sprint’s network features the phone will support.
Essential’s debut smartphone will operate on our network. More specific information will be provided at a later date.
Finally, AT&T has yet to issue a comment on the matter. Because T-Mobile and AT&T live on similar network bands, we can assume the Essential Phone will work on the latter. We’ve reached out to AT&T for comment.

All in all, it appears as if the Essential Phone will be one of those rare devices that will work on all four major U.S. carriers. The question now becomes how much of a network’s features will the Essential Phone support. In other words, features like HD voice and Wi-Fi calling might not work across the board, but we will have to wait and see whether that is truly the case.

Unread 2017-06-02, 09:06 AM   #10829
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Rubin’s Essential team exploring Google Glass-like smart glasses

A recently unearthed patent filing indicates that Andy Rubin’s Essential company is looking into a potential smart glasses product similar to Google Glass and Snapchat Spectacles.

The patent for the Essential Smart Glasses was discovered by Patently Apple, and it depicts a fairly innocuous pair of glasses — owing more to Snapchat’s Spectacles than Google Glass — that would have one or more “user facing” cameras built into them (530/540, below) and one or more “environment facing” cameras (550).

The out-facing cameras would potentially be used for photo and video recording, while the in-facing cameras could track eye movement. According to the patent, these features could be used in conjunction with the glasses’ “dual-mode” display for AR purposes. “Based on the environment that the user sees, and based on the direction of the user’s gaze, the processor can display an image to augment the environment around the user,” reads the patent. “For example, if the user is looking at a barcode of an item, the processor can display cheaper purchasing options of the same item.”

The Essential Smart Glasses would also be compatible with photosensitive lenses, sunglass lenses, and prescription lenses, says Patently Apple.

Of course, tech companies seek patents on many IPs and not all make it to market as fully-formed tech products. That said, the prospect doesn’t appear to be far from Rubin’s thoughts. In an interview with the Wired earlier this week, Rubin stated that Google Glass failed “not because the tech was bad but because the world wasn’t ready to wear them.” Further, Rubin says he wants Essential to be not just a manufacturer of smartphones but a company to drive the next big movement in tech (beyond the mobile sphere). In other words, it wouldn’t surprise me if the company was seriously pursuing smart glasses.

To find out more of Andy Rubin’s thoughts on the future of tech and the role his company could play in it, watch his recent live interview here.

Unread 2017-06-02, 12:43 PM   #10830
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky192 View Post
/r/android is pretty well against that device due to the missing headphone jack.

Motorola had a few devices without one that didn't receive crazy backlash, but they weren't super hyped or "pure" Android like this device.
It would be DOA unless they improved the bluetooth stack. Right now AOSP has a bug in their bluetooth that has been over a year old, and even the bypass doesnt work because the idiots didnt test permissions post beta. If you are playing music to an older device that doesnt have volume controls the phone sets the bluetooth volume to MAX, making it sound like shit as you tune the volume down at the receiver. As a result its rendered music from my phone useless over bluetooth in the car, I have to use a headphone jack. Im not adding a bulky adapter as well.
Unread 2017-06-05, 08:35 AM   #10831
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Is Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone Really That Essential?

This week, Andy Rubin’s new company, Essential, announced their first smartphone. It’s technically named the Essential PH-1, and it’s meant to “fix what’s wrong with Android”, but does it really? It’s still a smartphone with a pretty hefty price, and it doesn’t really do much that other smartphones don’t already do, or have already tried. One of the main selling points behind the Essential Phone is the fact that it has very minimal bezels. But if you look towards the top of the phone, there’s a cut out in the screen for the front-facing camera, which looks odd, and for those with OCD, it’s going to be a problem. It also has magnetic connectors on the back of the phone for connecting accessories and such, a lot like Moto Mods. So that’s also something that isn’t “new,” so one has to wonder whether this phone is really essential?
The Essential Phone is going to be priced at $699 when it does actually become available. For those that aren’t hardcore Android fans, they are going to wonder how a brand new company can pop into the smartphone space and create a smartphone that has a $699 price tag. Since the smartphone space – especially in the US – is already very crowded, and it’s tough for companies even with smartphones at half that price, to actually sell well. But Essential has Andy Rubin behind it. And Andy Rubin was the founder of Android Inc., which was then sold to Google and the rest is history. So if there’s anyone that knows Android, and possibly what’s wrong with it, it would definitely be Rubin. But $699 is still going to be a tough sell for the Essential Phone, especially since they aren’t going to be selling this through carriers (or even retail partners).

Looking at the specs for the Essential Phone, it does have all of the high-end hardware you’d expect, including a 5.71-inch 19:10 ratio display, which has a bit of an odd resolution of 2560 x 1312 which is just below QHD resolution (QHD is 2560 x 1440). It’s powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor, with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. There’s also two cameras on the back, both are 13-megapixel cameras, one being RGB and the other being a monochrome sensor. The front-facing camera is a 8-megapixel shooter. All powered by a 3040mAh battery inside. So it does stand toe-to-toe with every other smartphone coming out this year, but the vast majority of the market won’t know what this phone is or that it exists, and that’s going to make it a tough sell for Essential as well. Not to mention the fact that they have no history for support or updates. But with Rubin behind the scenes, updates should be pretty fast.
The Essential Phone appears to be running stock Android, perhaps with a few changes – similar to what Motorola has been doing. Essential didn’t talk much about the software, but did state that they were “fixing what’s wrong with Android” so there should be some changes from stock Android. Obviously, we’ll have to wait until the phone is available (and review units sent out) to find out what’s really new and different here. It is running Android Nougat, which is the most recent version of Android, at least right now until Android O launches in a few months. The software can truly make or break a smartphone, and since it is running a somewhat odd aspect ratio display, Essential has likely made some adjustments at the system level to handle that. Not to mention the camera placement that is basically in the middle of the screen.

So is the Essential Phone really essential? Not really, at least not from the information that’s available right now. There’s no doubt that it’ll be a great smartphone. It seems like the smartphone that a bunch of Android fans would put together, and that’s basically what Essential is made up of – although Rubin is much more than just an “Android fan.” Putting in some incredibly high-end specs, with a great looking build and stock Android. It is really what Android fans dream of. And while the accessories will definitely set it apart from the other smartphones out there. Like that 360-degree camera – which Essential says is the smallest in the world right now – that just snaps onto the back of your phone, not even covering up the dual-camera setup on the back, which is actually really cool.
Essential will have a tough road ahead if they are looking to pick up a decent chunk of the smartphone market. There are so many players out there right now, and Samsung is eating up the majority of the smartphone market, along with Apple. Both of which are established brands, and do quite well at advertising their devices. However, there are some similarities to OnePlus with Essential. OnePlus launched the OnePlus One at a pretty low price, however, which is not what Essential is doing. And now, a few years later, OnePlus has grown quite a bit and actually has a small chunk of the market. And this is all without putting out ads on TV’s and such, like Samsung does. Also without tying up with the carriers, so there is a chance for Essential to excel here, but it’ll take some work.

The Essential Phone is a good looking smartphone, and it’ll likely sell a bit, but it’s not really that “essential.” If you want something that can have accessories snap onto the back of it, Motorola has a slew of phones that already do this, and are a bit cheaper. Like the newly announced Moto Z2 Play. It’s going to be a good option for plenty of people out there, and only time will tell whether the Essential Phone really becomes an essential piece of the Android market, or Android smartphone choices. Currently, there’s no word on when the Essential Phone will actually launch, we only have the option to reserve one right now, not even pre-orders. But it likely won’t be long before it’s available.

Unread 2017-06-05, 09:20 AM   #10832
6-Bolt2g

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 35
Thanks (Received): 55
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 457
Dislikes (Given): 2
Dislikes (Received): 10

My Nexus 6P fell victim of the infamous bootloop but luckily I had 8 days left of Huawei warranty. It's being shipped to a location in Forth Worth, TX for review on repairing or replacement. I love the phone so I don't want to give it up as I'm not impressed by anything out there for 2017.

I'd be open to the Essential in Ocean Depths color.... so sexy
Unread 2017-06-05, 10:55 PM   #10833
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Mobile

A new Amazon Android phone might be coming, and this one won’t be dumb

Remember the Fire Phone? I can’t blame you if you don’t, because it was one of the saddest smartphone releases in recent history. But it looks like Amazon hasn’t given up on making smartphones, as a new report says the company is working on a new kind of Android device, the kind that Google will like.

That’s according to Gadgets 360’s sources, who say that Amazon has changed focus for its upcoming smartphones, and that includes operating system changes and branding.
Rather than creating an Android-based operating system that would be deprived of one of the most important features of Android — that’s official Google Play app support — Amazon is making a device that runs the Android OS you expect, complete with Google support.
Instead of trying to steal buyers away from the iPhone or other Android flagships, the Amazon Ice phone will be targeting the entry-level market, and especially India.
The Amazon Ice has a screen between 5.2-inch and 5.5-inch and features a Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 chip, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, 13-megapixel camera, a fingerprint sensor on the back, Android 7.1.1 with Google Assistant support.
Surprisingly, there’s no Alexa on this device, although this might change in the future.
The phone should sell for Rs 6,000, which is about $93. It’s unclear at this time when the phone will launch, and whether it’ll be available in other markets. But Amazon plans to launch at least one phone in India this year, according to a source.

Unread 2017-06-05, 10:59 PM   #10834
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Essential’s President is Sharing Pretty Bad Photos He Took on the Essential Phone

Now, by no means am I professional photographer, but I’m confident in determining what looks good to me and could look good to others. In the case of Essential’s president, Niccolo de Masi, and the latest photos he took and then uploaded to Twitter with the newly-announced Essential phone, I think I can safely say that the following photos are not very good at all.
To remind you all, the Essential Phone is listed as having dual rear-facing cameras (RGB + Mono) with 13MP and f/1.85. That’s some good spec and should be able to capture great images. Of course, low lighting images and sunsets can be especially tricky for smartphones to capture well, but from my testing, plenty of the latest smartphones can handle a setting sun and low lighting just fine (taken in Hawaii with the Galaxy S6 Edge).
Anyway, we have a couple of samples from the Essential Phone, thanks to de Masi uploading them on Twitter, and from what we can see, the camera setup used is currently struggling to take quality low light pictures well.

When I saw the above image for the first time, it reminded me of what I’d see after shooting a scene on a phone from years ago. A Nexus 4 or Nexus S, maybe? Point being, while you can get a sense for how pretty something is, this picture has nothing in focus, a completely noise-filled sky, and an incredible amount of blur on the buildings when you enlarge it. Speaking only for myself, there is no way I would upload this to Instagram or Facebook for anyone to see. Maybe I’m just super anal about that stuff.
Let’s have a look at a different photo.
Again, this is a great scene that seems ruined by a camera that obviously needs a bit of work. We have a bright sky with dark foreground, and essentially all detail is lost when we enlarge the photo. Thanks to the human brain, we can piece together that this is a nice scene with a gorgeous cityscape, but when we look closer at the details, there is something very wrong. There are various factors we need to weigh, of course, such as the possibility that these photos were taken through a dirty window at the top of a tall building, but still, that doesn’t account for all of the visible noise and lack of focus.
We are not yet sure exactly when the $699 Essential Phone will launch, but let’s hope the engineers spend a bit more time with the dual cameras on the backside.

Unread 2017-06-07, 09:17 PM   #10835
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

New Galaxy Note 8 leak may reveal several exciting new features

A fresh Galaxy Note 8 leak reveals more details about Samsung’s next-gen phablet, and while the source’s credibility is yet to be established, these tidbits certainly sound exciting.

PoyocoTech is the name of a new Twitter account that deals in the “latest leaks and renders of upcoming tech gadgets,” and we have no way of knowing what kind of leaker this user really is. Does the person have access to real sources, or is he or she simply repurposing content found on forums, chats, and social networks from China, passing off said content as his or her own original leaks? After all, this seems to be a trend right now.
Time will tell whether PoyocoTech is a real thing or a just a pretender, but the Twitter user did post a quite a few Galaxy Note 8 details worth going over.
Note8 and Note3 side-by-side #Note8 #Samsung #NextGalaxy #iPhone8 #UnboxYourPhone @SuperSaf @EveryApplePro pic.twitter.com/HZOWlKSWnL
— Poyoco Tech (@PoyocoTech) June 6, 2017
The user says the Galaxy Note 8 will have the same overall design as the Galaxy S8, complete with a large Infinity display. PoyocoTech also repeats some of the rumors that we have already heard about the Galaxy Note 8. The device will have a fingerprint sensor under the display, and a dual lens camera on the back.
The leaker adds that Samsung will “attempt to perfect” the design by going for uniformly aligned ports on the bottom.
Note8 will have similar design to what we saw with the s8. Samsung will attempt to perfect their deisgn by having uniformly alligned ports. https://t.co/w04rZcTv12
The rear camera should be based on the Galaxy Note 3’s camera in terms of layout, and the phone will come with stereo speaker pumping out AKG sound.
The camera (dual camera setup) will be based on Note 3's deisgn. Note8 will also have stereo speakers and will be tuned by AKG.
The Bixby button is getting a textured surface, while the S Pen will be similar to the Note 7’s stylus.
Samsung will add a texture to the bixby button. The S Pen design will be similar to what came with Note7 with minor improvements.
The new S Pen will have built-in vibrator and can be located using Find My Mobile app in Galaxy devices. pic.twitter.com/rHbGIGb6KN
Finally, the S Pen is said to have a built-in vibration motor, and it’ll come with support for Find My Mobile. If you misplace it, you should be able to locate it with the help of the app, assuming these leaks are accurate.
Tags: Galaxy Note 8, Samsung

Unread 2017-06-07, 10:47 PM   #10836
Wallace

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 26
Thanks (Received): 113
Likes (Given): 252
Likes (Received): 899
Dislikes (Given): 9
Dislikes (Received): 21

E90 335i/03 RCSB
Bill Snyder Dance Machine
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2017-06-08, 03:28 PM   #10837
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Andy Rubin’s Essential gets ready for battle with $300 million investment

Andy Rubin’s Essential startup has recently received a $300 million investment, which could go a long way to helping it establish itself in the hyper-competitive market. According to an analysis by Equidate, this means that the company is currently valued at between $900 million and $1 billion, despite the fact its products aren’t even available on the market yet.

Bloomberg reports that the investment paperwork was submitted in late May, only a few days before the company took the wraps off its first two products. In case you’ve missed it, the startup announced the Essential Home, which is an alternative to the Amazon Echo and Google Home, and the gorgeous Essential Phone that goes head to head with flagship devices like the Samsung Galaxy S8 and LG G6, among others.

It looks like investors have plenty faith in Essential and its founder Andy Rubin. And why wouldn’t they, the man created Android, the most popular operating system for mobile devices in the world. On paper, the Essential Phone has a lot of potential, although it’s still too early to talk about how successful (or not) it will be among consumers.

See also:

The device has a beautiful modular design with small bezels around the screen and high-end specs. Unfortunately, it also has a high price tag, as it retails for $699. Essential has decided to opt for a different strategy than other smaller companies in the industry, like OnePlus, for example, that are sparking consumer attention with affordable prices. The company clearly thinks that people are willing to spend big to get the Essential Phone, despite the fact that the brand is new to the market.

The recent $300 million investment isn’t the only one Essential has received so far. The company also raised $30 million from Rubin’s Playground Global and Redpoint Ventures last year. Other investors include venture firm Altimeter Capital, Tencent Holdings, and Foxconn.

Unread 2017-06-08, 03:59 PM   #10838
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Android O is confirmed to be 8.0 in the latest developer preview

We've all been debating about what the official name of Android O will be (it's going to be Oreo, guys, trust me), but there hasn't been much talk about the official version number. There were only ever two real options - 7.2 or 8.0. With the release of Android O's third developer preview, Google has revealed that it will be Android 8.0.

Looking at both the 'check update' and 'About phone' sections, the version number is now shown as 8.0.0. Given how many changes Android O has brought, this doesn't come as a huge surprise. You can see our Android O feature spotlights for all the changes we've spotted here.
So... yeah. It's Android 8.0. Now we just need to wait for that official Oreo name announcement - it's coming.

Unread 2017-06-11, 06:17 PM   #10839
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Android O feature spotlight: The Google Clock app gets a makeover in v5.1

Series: Android O Feature Spotlights This article is part of our Android O Feature Spotlights series.

With each new version of Android, Google tends to make small tweaks to some of its default apps. Such changes are often nothing more than superficial, a way of giving the new OS release a fresh feel. We're now on the third Android O Developer Preview, and the official clock app has been treated to a visual refresh, its first meaningful update since February.

The first noticeable change in version 5.1 is an update to the app's icon. The primary purple color has been replaced by a vibrant blue. The bottom right third is no longer shaded, and the shadows on the clock hands have been removed. The second hand now stands out in bright red. Not sweeping changes, by any means, but I think I prefer the flatter, more striking design.
Left: Out with the old (v5.0). Right: And in with the new (v5.1).
After clicking the icon you would expect to be greeted by bold purple with red accents, but not any longer. The main color has been changed to a blue-ish shade of very dark gray, almost black. And the accent is now blue (cornflower blue, apparently). Curiously, the blue used for the accent is not the same as the blue used in the icon, but it's very similar (#468af5 and #5c94f1, respectively). Granted, this is impossible to tell without close inspection and entirely inconsequential, but it's enough to bug me now I know. Serves me right for taking the time to compare them. Another incredibly minor tweak can be seen in the size of the secondary local clock; it's ever so slightly bigger.
There's another tweak relating to the time for a secondary location, but this time as part of the digital clock widget. As you can see below, the font weight of the secondary 'Los Angeles' clock has been increased. Again, only a subtle change. But it does make the time slightly easier to read at a glance, which is no bad thing.
Left: Light. Right: Heavy.
Finally, as well as the new color scheme and flatter design, the app icon now implements the new adaptive icons feature, so it will change shape depending on which setting you choose in your launcher. Here you can see the squircle and cylinder varieties:
So this isn't exactly groundbreaking stuff, but it's typical of the incremental changes Google makes to its apps all the time. In my opinion, the clock is a little bit more attractive with the new lick of paint.
Even if you're not running DP3, you can still download this latest version from APKMirror and install it manually.

Unread 2017-06-11, 06:31 PM   #10840
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Reported Specs for the Pixel XL 2 Indicate 5.6″ 18:9 Display, 4GB RAM, and 12MP Camera

Camera
ILCE-6300

Focal Length
24mm

Aperture
f/1.8

Exposure
1/320s

ISO

We don’t quite know yet when Google intends to launch the Pixel 2 or Pixel XL 2, but already, reported specifications for the larger of the two are circulating.
According to a listing from GFXBench, a popular benchmarking tool that all upcoming devices seem to go through, the Pixel XL 2 shares a few specifications with other 2017 flagships. Keep in mind, though, we aren’t 100% on whether any of this info is accurate.
As listed, the “Pixel XL2″ could come with a 5.6″ display with a resolution of 2560 x 1312. For the folks paying attention, that’s the same resolution found on the upcoming Essential Phone, but 5.6” is smaller than the displays found on the LG G6 and Galaxy S8. However, it’s still nearly an 18:9 aspect ratio (technically it’s 1.95:1), something that seems to be trending quite heavily. This would also be a good time to remind everyone that it was reported Google was/is helping LG to push for mobile OLED displays.
Other specs listed include 4GB RAM, a Qualcomm-made octa-core processor, Adreno 540 GPU, 100GB storage (that’s what GFXBench lists, but it’s probably an inaccurate reading of 128GB), and 12MP rear-facing camera (currently unknown if dual cameras are to be used in the Pixel 2 and Pixel XL 2). Another thing to note, GFXBench lists Android 7.1.1. running on this device, meaning Android O probably wasn’t yet flashed to whatever preproduction unit this is.
Below is the graphic containing all the reported info.
Feel free to share your hot take below.

Unread 2017-06-13, 02:18 PM   #10841
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Samsung Galaxy Note 8 tipped to launch mid-August

The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 could be here in just two months time, according to South Korean news website The Bell. Citing Samsung Electronics, The Bell states that the new flagship phablet may launch in mid-August, the same period that the Galaxy Note 7 was released in last year (August 19).

The Galaxy Note phones have traditionally been unveiled at the IFA conference in Berlin, which takes place in September, until last year’s Note 7 bucked the trend.

It was anticipated that Samsung would take extra time in releasing the upcoming Note 8, i.e. beyond the typical 12-month production cycle, to ensure the launch went off without a hitch. Last year’s Galaxy Note 7 was recalled twice before being canceled following battery problems, and it was speculated that Samsung delayed the Galaxy S8 release earlier this year for quality assurance purposes.

See also:

Should I wait for the Galaxy Note 8?

April 18, 2017

However, The Bell claims that Samsung has decided to “accelerate the launch of the Galaxy Note 8,” to get a head-start on the upcoming Apple iPhone 8 range. Samsung will no doubt be seeking ways to take the shine off the release of Apple’s 10th anniversary iPhone, but if that means hurrying out another Galaxy Note device, let’s hope the decision doesn’t blow up in Samsung’s face.

The Galaxy Note 8 is expected to come with a 6.3-to-6.4-inch curved display, Qualcomm Snapdragon 836 processor, and a dual-lens, 13 MP, rear-facing camera with AF. An on-screen fingerprint scanner has been ruled out, but the display should house an impressive screen-to-body ratio, like the S8 and S8 Plus.

What are your thoughts on the prospect of Samsung speeding up the Galaxy Note 8 release? Let us know in the comments.

Unread 2017-06-13, 02:19 PM   #10842
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Rumored Google Pixel successor, codenamed Taimen, may be built by LG

There have been reports that Google is working on three new Pixel devices for several months now, and we had an inkling of what they could offer, but in the last 24 hours, things have changed.

News arrived just yesterday that Muskie, what was expected to be a successor to the Pixel XL, might have been canceled, leaving us with only two Pixel devices in development for release later this year. These are believed to be codenamed Walleye and Taimen, and speculation from 9to5Google now suggests that the larger of the devices, Taimen, will be built by LG.

9to5Google points to a bug entry on the Android Issue Tracker from March, reported by an LG employee, as evidence of the South Korean manufacturer’s relationship to Taimen. A Google employee requested that the bug is moved to thread: Android > Partner > External > LGE > Taimen > power. The “LGE” branch that Taimen is a part of likely indicates “LG Electronics.”

Unread 2017-06-13, 02:21 PM   #10843
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

The Essential Phone’s front camera is a push towards a completely embedded world

If I’m going to talk about front-facing cameras, I’ll first need to talk about video chat. And if I’m going to talk about video chat, I need to acknowledge Skype. Ever since the service first rocketed onto the scene way back in 2003, I’ve been continuously frustrated with the state of video chat. In order to actually let your partner feel like you’re talking to them face to face, you need to sacrifice the ability to actually look directly at them. Cameras have always been placed above (or more recently below) screens on computers and phones, and this creates an incredibly awkward viewing angle for both receiving ends. If you want to look at your partner, you look like you’re looking away from their face. If you want them to see you looking at them, you have to look away from the screen. It’s a viscous cycle. Video chat has evolved dramatically in terms of quality and latency over the last 15 years, but one of the most fundamental problems has still remained unsolved.
The front of the Essential Phone takes a cue from the LG G6 and Galaxy S8, moving even further towards a nearly bezel-less design.
Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone was unveiled a few weeks ago, and its reception so far has been a very mixed bag. The body looks gorgeous but could likely be very brittle due to the ceramic build. The specs are great but it’s also missing something most of us find essential: a headphone jack. It seems like for every positive feature this phone offers there is also a pretty serious negative. Then we’ve got the front camera.

Unread 2017-06-13, 02:22 PM   #10844
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Google’s new hire from Apple could help design custom chips for future Pixel phones

Google may have decided it wants to design its own custom processors for future versions of its Pixel phones. Today, it was revealed that Manu Gulati, who helped to develop custom chips for many of Apple’s iOS products, is now working at Google, with the official title of “Lead SOC Architect”.

He worked at Apple from 2009 to 2017 and helped lead the company's efforts in designing its own chips for the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV
Gulati has actually been working at Google for the past few weeks, according to a story in Variety, but officially announced his move from Cupertino to Mountain View on his LinkedIn page today. He worked at Apple from 2009 to 2017 and helped lead the company’s efforts in designing its own chips for the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV products, which officially began in 2010. It stands to reason that his hiring by Google could signal a move by the company to do the same for upcoming Pixel products. Variety also notes that Google is currently looking for other people to fill additional chip design positions, such as an open job listing for a “Mobile SoC CPU Architect”.

Google’s first Pixel phones, the Pixel and Pixel XL, both used processors provided by Qualcomm. However, we have seen a small trend of larger companies making their own chips. In addition to Apple, Samsung is using its own in-house Exynos chips in some versions of its Galaxy S8 and S8 Plus devices. If Google does decide to launch future Pixel phones with its own processors, that could be a serious loss for Qualcomm. It could also show that Google wants to have custom chips that it believes will be faster and more powerful than the ones made by Qualcomm and others.

However, it’s unlikely that will happen for the next generation of the Pixel devices, which are expected to be released sometime this fall. Recent rumors claim Google has canceled plans to launch a direct successor to the 5.5-inch Pixel XL. In addition, another new report claims that Google’s next larger Pixel phone, codenamed “Taimen”, may actually be built by LG.

Unread 2017-06-14, 02:23 PM   #10845
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

New Galaxy Note 8 leak shows how great Samsung’s new flagship design will be

There’s precious little doubt that Samsung’s Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ wear the crown when it comes to smartphone design. While Apple chose to go with the same smartphone design for a third consecutive year in 2017, Samsung was hard at work on a bold new redesign featuring a stunning Infinity Display that takes up an impressive 83% of the Galaxy S8’s front side. The S8’s curved edges fit perfectly in hands of all sizes, and the premium metal and glass construction seal the deal.
If you recently purchased a Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+, rest assured that you own the sleekest and most stunning smartphone on the planet… for now.

A leaked photo posted just yesterday seemingly gave us a rare glimpse at Samsung’s unreleased Galaxy Note 8, which is rumored to be in development and slated for launch sometime in August. The photo showed what appear to be several key design improvements over the Galaxy S8 and S8+. Most notably, the terribly positioned rear fingerprint scanner is gone completely, suggesting that the Galaxy Note 8 might have an in-display sensor after all.
Yesterday’s leak only covered the back of the phone though, so we were unable to determine if earlier rumors suggesting the Note 8 would have an even more impressive screen-to-body ratio than the Galaxy S8 were accurate.
The bad news is that a new leaked photo posted on Weibo and reposted a gadget forum called Priceraja.com doesn’t answer that question. But the good news is that the photo does seemingly show at least part of the Galaxy Note 8’s face, and it indeed appears as though the phone might have even narrower bezels than the S8 and S8+. Considering the Note 8’s display is rumored to be slightly larger than the screen on the Galaxy S8+, the phone could in fact best Samsung’s earlier flagship phone in terms of screen-to-body ratio.
The leaked photo can be seen below.

Alongside the photo, the user who posted it reiterated some earlier rumored specs. Included among them are a 64-inch display, a Snapdragon 835 processor, a dual-lens 12-megapixel camera, and pricing in line with the Galaxy S8+. None of these details have been confirmed at this point.

Unread 2017-06-14, 02:24 PM   #10846
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

New renders suggest a Galaxy Note 8 design that’s classic Samsung

Samsung may soon release a new Galaxy Note handset, a device that’s supposed to make everyone forget about last year’s Galaxy Note 7 debacle. Reports say the Galaxy Note 8 will be launched as soon as late August, and that it’ll basically be a bigger Galaxy S8 version that’ll offer a few extra tricks, including a stylus and a dual lens camera on the back.
The same reports say that Samsung’s upcoming flagship won’t have the one feature that’ll probably turn out to be the iPhone 8’s signature trick this year, a fingerprint sensor packed into the display.

Considering what Samsung did with the Galaxy S8 this year, we have a pretty good idea of what to expect from the Galaxy Note 8. And thanks to the folks over at TechnoBuffalo, we now have renders of what that predictable Galaxy Note 8 may look like.
These renders are based on rumors, the site notes, and they’re created by Benjamin Geskin.
We actually have two sets of images, one that shows a Galaxy Note 8 featuring a dual-lens camera and a fingerprint sensor on the back:
Image Source: TechnoBuffalo
The more exciting version that has the fingerprint sensor built into the display, even if it the design seems unlikely right now:
Image Source: TechnoBuffalo
The colors used in these images are the same colors Samsung employed in past devices, but that doesn’t mean these will be the Galaxy Note 8 colors at launch.
The most recent rumors say Samsung will unveil the Galaxy Note 8 before the IFA show that takes place in early September in Germany. Samsung, meanwhile, has not announced any details about a future Unpacked event.

Unread 2017-06-14, 02:26 PM   #10847
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Galaxy Note 8 schematics say phone won’t be as impressive as the iPhone 8

A fresh Galaxy Note 8 leak seems to reaffirm an earlier report that said the new Samsung flagship will not have what will probably turn out to be the signature feature of the iPhone 8. Earlier rumors had suggested that the Note 8 and iPhone 8 would be on par in this particular area, so this news will definitely be disappointing for many Samsung fans.

Posted on SlashLeaks, the following images show alleged Galaxy Note 8 schematics. The drawings indicate the phone will have a dual lens camera and dual flash camera on the back, as well as a dual speaker system — one speaker is placed on the bottom, while the second one is found at the top.
Image Source: SlashLeaks
The schematic indicates the phone will retain the 3.5mm headphone jack, and there’s an S Pen stylus opening as well. All elements on the bottom side appear to be perfectly aligned as well.
But there’s one disappointing feature on the back of the handset, a circle that can only be a fingerprint sensor. Many reports said with the Galaxy Note 8, Samsung would achieve something it wasn’t able to do in time for the Galaxy S8: the fingerprint reader would be built into the display. But last week, an anonymous Samsung exec said the Galaxy Note 8 won’t have the feature, suggesting the phone will use a rear-facing fingerprint sensor.
Image Source: SlashLeaks
As a result, the iPhone 8 may be the only widely available smartphone that ships with a fingerprint sensor under the display this year. Even for Apple that’s not an easy task, according to multiple reports, and it may lead to launch delays. But while Apple might have also considered placing the Touch ID sensor on the back of the phone in the past, the most recent iPhone 8 rumors suggest the sensor will be found on the front, integrated into the display.
Both the iPhone 8 and Galaxy Note 8 should feature all-screen designs.

Unread 2017-06-20, 09:22 AM   #10848
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Google Leak Reveals New Pixel Cancellation

Goodbye ‘Muskie’ we hardly knew you. Yes, there is major news out of Google GOOGL +1.72% land today as multiple sources are claiming Google has cancelled plans for its much anticipated Google Pixel XL sequel…
The ever reliable Android Police delivers the news explaining:
“Based on information from three separate sources, we are now confident that Google has shelved plans to release one of its upcoming Pixel phones. The device, codenamed 'muskie’, was intended to succeed the Pixel XL.”

So sure is Android Police that it said “We rate this information 9 out of 10 on our rumor confidence scale” and confirmed “We have corroborated this story with several sources we deem reliable”. Historically the site’s track record is excellent.
Given the Pixel XL was the best of the two (admittedly excellent) Pixel handsets Google debuted last year, this development should be terrible news, but there could be an upside.

For months multiple sources have said Google is working on three new Pixel 2 smartphones with the codenames walleye, muskie and taimen and this would mean two models still remain. So we may get a Pixel XL afterall. The downside? If muskie is canned, then a ‘taimen’ Pixel XL might be massive.
Why? Because Google likes to use fish as codenames (‘Shamu’, a whale, is the exception for the Nexus 6) and they hint at proportions:
  • 2012 - 4.7-inch Nexus 4 (Mako)
  • 2013 - 5-inch Nexus 5 (Hammerhead)
  • 2014 - 6-inch Nexus 6 (Shamu)
  • 2015 - 5.2-inch Nexus 5X (Bullhead), 5.7-inch Nexus 6P (Anger)
  • 2016 - 5.1-inch Pixel (Sailfish), 5.5-inch Pixel XL (Marlin)
Now look at the 2017 codenames: muskies grow up to 17kg / 38lbs, walleyes grow up to 11kg / 24lbs and taimen can be over 100kg (220 lbs). This led many to believe ‘taimen’ must be a laptop or convertible, but if the Pixel XL is now taimen not muskie then it is going to be big.
Of course the precedent for this is already here. Samsung and LG paved the way by supersizing their smartphone displays this year by adopting narrower 18.5:9 aspect ratios with huge 5.8-inch (Galaxy S, 6.3-inch (Galaxy S8 Plus) and 5.7-inch (LG G6) panels.

Furthermore rumours are Google has moved from HTC to LG to manufacture this year’s new Pixels and the 5.7-inch LG G6 is only fractionally bigger and heavier than the 5.3-inch LG G5 and lighter and smaller than the 5.5-inch Pixel XL. So the signs are Google could go big without necessarily creating a physically huge phone.
Needless to say this is speculation on my part, but optimistics may well be excited that Google has opted for ‘taimen’ over ‘muskie’. After all if 2017’s flagship smartphones have taught us anything (and I include Apple’s enlarged iPhone 8 in this) it is size matters more than ever.

Unread 2017-06-20, 12:29 PM   #10849
Ryan Stewart
Mr. Plow

Post Thanks / Like

Dude that is oooollllddd news. And they really just replaced it with another code name. Supposedly went from HTC to LG.
Unread 2017-06-20, 12:31 PM   #10850
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

yeah 8 day old news via the link, little chatter about the manuf. thinking Google is pissing off another manuf. ala Huawei

Tags
android, cupcake, donut, eclair, froyo, galaxy, gingerbread, honeycomb, ice cream sandwhich, jelly bean, kit-kat, lollipop, marshmallow, nexus, nougat, oreo