Mirror Finish Polishing ~ 1-816-529-6089 ~ sales@mirrorfinishpolishing.com ~ mirrorfinishpolishing.com For the best rate on home, auto, life or business/commercial insurance call me at 888-959-0955, cell 636-734-1310 or bricehazelwood@weiss-ins.com. Never Done Garage - donewhenimdead.com Peerless Automotive Reconditioning - 1155 W. Dennis Ave, Olathe Ks, 66061 - 913-893-1201 Mark H. Epstein ~ The Epstein Law Firm, LLC ~ 913-396-5123 Wilkes Automotive ~ wilkesautomotive.com ~ 246 Marion St, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ 913-254-7171 Skandalous Inc ~ www.skandalousinc.com DIY Auto Repair Inc ~ www.diyautorepairkc.com ~ 11509 Strangline Rd, Olathe KS 66062 ~ 913-226-3806 Your advertisement here! The Law Offices of Jeremiah Johnson, LLC ~ 104 E. Poplar, Olathe, KS 66061 ~ (913)764-5010 ~ www.kcatty.com - www.johnsoncountydui.com ~ jeremiah@kcatty.com Santa Fe Body, Inc ~ 8717 Lenexa Drive, Overland Park, KS 66214 ~ (913) 894-6090 House of Boost LLC Nude? HouseofHID.com - The #1 source for HID The Print Shop KC 816.200.6694 or Ryan@RMD-Photography.com the art of tyleR ~ http://tyleR.bigcartel.com ~ TYLERcoey.com ~ MUTTtoy.com ~ MUTTtoy@gmail.com W-K Chevrolet Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC ~ 3310 W. Broadway, Sedalia, MO 65301 ~ 800-382-5088 ~ Cell 660-553-8928 ~ dustin@wkchevy.com ~ www.wkchevy.com

Go Back   KCSR - THE Kansas City Forum > General Forums > Careers, Colleges, Jobs

Unread 2018-01-09, 11:39 AM   #1
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 14
Dislikes (Given): 0
Dislikes (Received): 1
Default Centriq?

I know some people on the forum have attended and was hoping to get some insight as to how you feel about it now.

Was it worth it?

What do you think they should change?

What shortfalls should a person considering attending be aware of?
Unread 2018-01-09, 11:41 AM   #2
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been to Centriq, I essentially went through an Army equivalent of it last year. I had a co-worker that did the program so when I got back we kind of compared notes did a 1:1 comparison, course work etc.. he said it was fast paced they give you the skills/tools etc.. to get to whatever goal you want, I will see if I can get Pasty T-Bag to post he went there

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

Last edited by JDLM; 2018-01-09 at 11:45 AM..
JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-09, 12:05 PM   #3
Pasty T-Bag

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 171
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 438
Likes (Received): 327
Dislikes (Given): 22
Dislikes (Received): 4

yeah i went to Centriq for the network admin program...

lol but on a serious note, it was a good program just be prepared to bring your A game, its not a hand holding place. they give you everything you need to pass but you have to bust your ass and study and pay attention and you ll be okay and DO NOT be afraid to ask a question because if you dont know it and try to slide by they WILL call you out on your shit at the end. I really liked the program and at my current job we have had 3 Centriq grads here, also another good tip is once you start, sign up immediately to retake the cisco course a second time because usually everyone does and if you get it quick enough you can maybe be able to take the class back to back instead of a month or two apart, its free to retake the course a second time and really helps prepare you for your test

-2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD-
-2007 Chevy Trailblazer LT-
-2015 Yamaha FZ-07-
6+
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Billy Mild liked this post
Pasty T-Bag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-09, 01:40 PM   #4
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Not too worried about the Cisco, I've been studying for my ccent for a while and pretty much have my ipv4 and subnet masking down pretty well. Among the switch command basics as well.

I also have packet tracer from netacad, so I've been doing some labs on that plus the Pearson labs for accent and some ccna, but i put that off to the side to cram down the a+ and try to pass it by the end of the month.

Thanks for the input
Zetex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-09, 02:37 PM   #5
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 119
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2593
Likes (Received): 591
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33

I went to Rolla for a degree in IST. But I will say the CCENT class was a good refresher for me before I took the exam. I took a college class for the CCENT and I almost passed the it. I got in the 780's when you need 8xx's. Instead of just taking the test again I went to Centriq for a refresher course and it helped me pass the test.

Make sure to use their test simulator so you get used to how the test is done.

I have heard their other classes are not so good. Things like Microsoft technologies they seemed pretty soft on. If you are looking for that I recommend looking at New Horizons or global knowledge.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-09, 05:12 PM   #6
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I went to Rolla for a degree in IST. But I will say the CCENT class was a good refresher for me before I took the exam. I took a college class for the CCENT and I almost passed the it. I got in the 780's when you need 8xx's. Instead of just taking the test again I went to Centriq for a refresher course and it helped me pass the test.

Make sure to use their test simulator so you get used to how the test is done.

I have heard their other classes are not so good. Things like Microsoft technologies they seemed pretty soft on. If you are looking for that I recommend looking at New Horizons or global knowledge.
Thanks for the heads up on this aspect, I find it interesting they would be soft on this considering they are a Microsoft gold partner.

I am looking at their security/network admin fast track courses, certs are the MTA network fundamentals, ccent, a+, and security +. I would be in the 8 month night courses.

Last edited by Zetex; 2018-01-09 at 05:16 PM..
Unread 2018-01-10, 11:53 AM   #7
Billy Mild

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 119
Thanks (Received): 74
Likes (Given): 2593
Likes (Received): 591
Dislikes (Given): 85
Dislikes (Received): 33

A+ is almost worthless now. If you get it, great, but no real jobs are looking for it.

Network admin type work I would just focus on the Cisco Certifications. Get at least the CCNA as well.
1991 Corvette ZR-1 #1599 of 2,044 airlid mod
2016 RAM 1500-Roll coal
1986 Yamaha RZ350-blown up
1971 Yamaha AT1c-In the middle of restoration
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-11, 10:55 AM   #8
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
A+ is almost worthless now. If you get it, great, but no real jobs are looking for it.

Network admin type work I would just focus on the Cisco Certifications. Get at least the CCNA as well.
Really?

Every help desk requires or prefers a+ in their posting.

Its also the first cert you get at centriq.

Right now I'm just trying to get a foot in the door. That's my main focus.
Unread 2018-01-11, 11:46 AM   #9
Scooby24
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 50
Thanks (Received): 696
Likes (Given): 361
Likes (Received): 3992
Dislikes (Given): 27
Dislikes (Received): 40

What was the cost of Centriq? Or is it all dependent on what classes you take?
Unread 2018-01-11, 11:52 AM   #10
JDLM
Schutzstaffel

Post Thanks / Like

Funny you asked, IIRC they don't even list that on the website, it is one of those "please message us or give us you contact info"

AW|E90|ZSP|ZPP|2XA|NAV|HID| ///M | BMS |JB4 | VRSF

JDLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-11, 03:01 PM   #11
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Depends I think on what track your going after.

the it admin is almost 23,000
Unread 2018-01-16, 03:11 AM   #12
beersykins

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Most of the Centriq grads I've seen are underperformers. I've been in a network role about 9 years and have a CCNP, but it seems equally hard to find reasonably skilled staff in this market whether it's Centriq based or not.

If you have a large internal drive to know why things work the way they do you'll be ahead of most candidates already.

I'd go much for the CCNA criteria. You'll already know all of the Net+ information by the time you finish. A base CCNA has gotten me most of my career jobs.
beersykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-16, 10:06 AM   #13
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by beersykins View Post
Most of the Centriq grads I've seen are underperformers. I've been in a network role about 9 years and have a CCNP, but it seems equally hard to find reasonably skilled staff in this market whether it's Centriq based or not.

If you have a large internal drive to know why things work the way they do you'll be ahead of most candidates already.

I'd go much for the CCNA criteria. You'll already know all of the Net+ information by the time you finish. A base CCNA has gotten me most of my career jobs.
Thanks for the info I actually have a udemy video course for ccna and I didn't know you'd need to known hex conversions as well, I haven't gotten to ipv6 yet, but am good with ipv4 and subnet masking, including CIDR.

Like I've said in another post, I'm focusing on a+ currently because it is listed literally on every posting. For a basic foot in the door.

But reason I ask about centriq is because I am curious what skills they lack, what skills do they excel at? How are they under performers? I also plan to get the 210-260 ccna security.Is security plus and ccna security similar, or is comptia much more broad range? For server management what have you found to be more prominent in the kc region? Linux/Unix or Microsoft server?
Unread 2018-01-16, 01:54 PM   #14
beersykins

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Dislikes (Received): 0

Hex is really only useful for v6 at this level, not too much different than base2 to base16 if you break it out into binary.

A+ is an okay start, if you don't have a lot then every bit helps. If you can build a computer without consulting any other resources then you can likely pass it right now. I took the CCNA Security in like 2011 and it was nearly exactingly the Security+ test with some SDM GUI bits thrown in. I think they changed it to the ASA based ASDM for the modern test but I believe the content is largely similar.

There's a bunch of Windows shops in KC, the Linux pool seems to be very far behind at least from what I've seen working at a few nationwide orgs in our area.

I mainly see Centriq people, in my experience, as knowing a very specific set of information (ie, what's on the test), but no real depth beyond that. It seems like they are very tight on details in the program/course but don't really provide candidates with any background or associated knowledge of platforms at a basic level. I believe we have a few in our NOC. Depending on what kind of a learner you are you can obtain the same knowledge from the Cisco certification guide and a couple lab devices.
beersykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2018-01-17, 10:44 AM   #15
Zetex

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I upgraded several PCs since backs in the days of windows 3.1 when ram was still measured in megabytes.

Then DDR came out with win95/98 and it went up from there.

Built a few budget gaming rigs. Mostly because I've almost always been broke lol.

I have heard that centriq trains to the test a few times. But it seems once people get out and get experience is when they either stay shallow or ask questions of their superiors and develop the depth, and thereby progress.

For instance since I want to achieve the ccna and the most recent iteration has a lot of changes and more advanced protocols brought down for the more basic certifications now ipv6 is more focused on for the ccna. Not so much ccent.

Also I'm assuming base 2 is referring to ipv4 and base 16 is hex for ipv6 since hex operates on powers of 16. I'm not sure if im correct or not but it seems to be the best fitting theory I have.